Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just out of interest, was the 3T Strada you reviewed in November not a keeper for you? Any reason in particular?

3T Strada would've been my go-to bike, except, i got this bike in its 1x config, and I've decided that while 1x is so far my preferred gravel set up, 2x is what i want for my road set up. had i gotten this bike in its 2x config, i probably would not be looking for another road frame.

Looks like you just need to contact Gerard and buy a Strada 2x from him then?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Slowman wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just out of interest, was the 3T Strada you reviewed in November not a keeper for you? Any reason in particular?

3T Strada would've been my go-to bike, except, i got this bike in its 1x config, and I've decided that while 1x is so far my preferred gravel set up, 2x is what i want for my road set up. had i gotten this bike in its 2x config, i probably would not be looking for another road frame.

Looks like you just need to contact Gerard and buy a Strada 2x from him then?

one could. i could. i could ride that bike fine. but i wouldn't say it's a perfect fit. it's a very good geometry for me. but i'm sort of in between sizes on that bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This may have been mentioned earlier and I missed it but a BMC Roadmachine 02 sz 56 may suit your needs. I say may because if you want a higher degree of integration the 01 would be the better option.

Stack - 586
Reach - 390
Tire clearance for 700x33
Disc brakes
Longer chain stays and a wheelbase just over a meter
Any stem will work (on the 02)

Good luck with the bike hunt
Last edited by: TriSconnie: Jun 1, 20 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [TriSconnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSconnie wrote:

This may have been mentioned earlier and I missed it but a BMC Roadmachine 02 sz 56 may suit your needs. I say may because if you want a higher degree of integration the 01 would be the better option.

Stack - 586
Reach - 390
Tire clearance for 700x33
Disc brakes
Longer chain stays and a wheelbase just over a meter
Any stem will work (on the 02)

Good luck with the bike hunt

you are at least the 2nd person to recommend this. i'm gratified to see that you guys are up-to-snuff in how to divine the right bike for a particular rider's need.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to my Canyon recommendation? I believe it can fit you and the bike and options are just perfect!
John
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
What happened to my Canyon recommendation? I believe it can fit you and the bike and options are just perfect! John

remember, i'm looking for a frameset only.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
The new Wilier is pretty darn close, and damn... it's gorgeous in the Astana colorway. They've also done some thinking on the "how the heck do you get people on the right size with this integrated stuff" side of things which I'm pretty sure you'll want to check out...

Holy moly that's a beautiful paint job

Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right?! Even better IRL.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about bikes except black is the best color. That said, I am strongly considering a thread called "help TC choose a new swimsuit" just for funsies. (I thought you knew everything there was to know about bikes, so I find this thread surprising!)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jun 1, 20 18:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parlee Rz7 is pretty bang on for a large. You'd need a few mm (about 5) of spacers. I can't tell you how good mine is.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I don't know anything about bikes except black is the best color. That said, I am strongly considering a thread called "help TC choose a new swimsuit" just for funsies. (I thought you knew everything there was to know about bikes, so I find this thread surprising!)

I think he's just testing us ;-)

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Parlee Rz7 is pretty bang on for a large. You'd need a few mm (about 5) of spacers. I can't tell you how good mine is.

I love hte Rz7, but daaaayum it's a pricey bike. My Canadian dollars make it even worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$6,500 for an ultegra Di2 or force AXS build isn't that bad really. The only thing you don't get compared to most major manufacturers is decent wheels. Plus it is a dead sexy bike!

ETA: the full integrated stem is not per slowman's spec so it is out.

Last edited by: Sulliesbrew: Jun 2, 20 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a Sarto? Customize for however you like.

https://www.sartobikes.com/...oducts/lampo__3.html

Not 100% sure how they manage the internal cable routing up front though.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:

I totally agree with the Parlee Rz7.
I have the Parlee TTiR - it's a phenomenal bike and it's remarkable in that the handling extremely responsive, like a road bike. It even climbs well. The frame is laterally incredibly stiff likely helped by the through-axles. For comparison, turning in to an uphill at speed, my previous rim-brake BMC TM01 would feel like it was understeering; plowing and scrubbing off speed. With the Parlee that feel is gone.
The Rz7 has a very similar frame with massive head tube and fork. Heck, you can even run 32mm tires on it and do some mild off-road with it.

The only drawbacks: dialing in the bike is arduous. The front end is very complicated to adjust:
https://parleecycles.com/...bling-Guide-R1.1.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end is a hot mess of not simple.

I thought my Caad12 had some dialed steering and control, but the RZ7 is next level.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm on the hunt. here are my imperatives in no order:

1. disc brake.
2. basic road geometry, nothing fancy.
3. my fit coordinates suggest a frame stack of 575mm to 590mm, and a frame reach of 390mm to 400mm, for the most elegant front end config.
4. i like longish chainstays. at least 415mm.
5. i'm adamant about being able to change my stem, and to change it without having to unroute and reroute a rear brake hydraulic line.
6. i'll be riding 2x.
7. i'd like to suppport a tire clearance of at least 30mm.
8. carbon.

i'm not that picky about frame aerodynamics. like a fairly sprightly steering, but i also like a pretty stiff (but not tanklike) front end, and those sort of counter each other. this typically means a trail of 55mm or less. but i can get used to whatever the bike delivers.

Have you considered a Trek Domane in the H1.5 geometry? (side note: you have to email Trek to get the H1.5 geometry as they don't have it on their website, also included a chart at link below)
2020-trek-domane-geometry-1564177537.png

The 58cm frame is 581 stack, 391 reach, 425 chain stays, trail 53mm. Standard stem and you'll have no problem swapping it without messing with any cables. Generous clearance for tires (38mm quoted), semi aero, slick DT storage, and the ST/HT suspension works!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my new road bike frame [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i'm on the hunt. here are my imperatives in no order:

1. disc brake.
2. basic road geometry, nothing fancy.
3. my fit coordinates suggest a frame stack of 575mm to 590mm, and a frame reach of 390mm to 400mm, for the most elegant front end config.
4. i like longish chainstays. at least 415mm.
5. i'm adamant about being able to change my stem, and to change it without having to unroute and reroute a rear brake hydraulic line.
6. i'll be riding 2x.
7. i'd like to suppport a tire clearance of at least 30mm.
8. carbon.

i'm not that picky about frame aerodynamics. like a fairly sprightly steering, but i also like a pretty stiff (but not tanklike) front end, and those sort of counter each other. this typically means a trail of 55mm or less. but i can get used to whatever the bike delivers.

Have you considered a Trek Domane in the H1.5 geometry? (side note: you have to email Trek to get the H1.5 geometry as they don't have it on their website, also included a chart at link below)
2020-trek-domane-geometry-1564177537.png

The 58cm frame is 581 stack, 391 reach, 425 chain stays, trail 53mm. Standard stem and you'll have no problem swapping it without messing with any cables. Generous clearance for tires (38mm quoted), semi aero, slick DT storage, and the ST/HT suspension works!

we've had some conversation about this higher up in the thread. bear in mind that i'm looking for a frameset only.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo R5 or R3. Simple cable routing, your choice of stem. On sale at Excel Sports right now as well.
https://www.excelsports.com/...;major=1&minor=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Cervelo R5 or R3. Simple cable routing, your choice of stem. On sale at Excel Sports right now as well.

i cannot find a geometry chart for that R3.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 for SuperSix. I've been riding one since October, phenomenal bike. For a race bike the handling is very predictable and ride surprisingly compliant. I've fit 3.4 ARs with 32c tires on it with room to spare.

The proprietary bar & stem is love hate. The bar bend and ergonomics is surprisingly good but the stem is a brute. Also not a fan of computer mount being above the bars. If you were going to keep it for years it'd consider swapping them out, but really these are trivial complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
twain wrote:

Underneath the price there is a button that says geometry chart

R3 Geometry SizeTop Tube LengthHead Tube HeightHead AngleSeat AngleStandover StackReach 48515mm89mm71°73°693mm505mm360mm 51532mm110mm72°73°723mm530mm369mm 54548mm133mm73°73°753mm555mm378mm 56563mm159mm73°73°784mm580mm387mm 58581mm188mm73°73°815mm605mm396mm 61597mm214mm73°73°846mm630mm405mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman - one thing you might also want to consider is going with cable-pull disc brakes vs hydraulic.
Advantages being:
- likely lower weight
- much more simple to dial in
- no fear of accidentally squeezing the calipers, jacking up the hydralics while a wheel is removed

To this end, I'm running TRP Spyre mechanical brakes on my Parlee TTiR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I helps

Here's an image from velogicfit's bike geometry comparison tool:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have TRP spyres on my cross bike and they are garbage compared to my R8070 brakes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next