Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The New 3T Exploro RaceMax
Quote | Reply
Slick looking bike. Stack is still a bit on the high side but I'd wager that >75% of age groupers could obtain their current TT position on this bike.

Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Slick looking bike. Stack is still a bit on the high side but I'd wager that >75% of age groupers could obtain their current TT position on this bike.

I wanted this bike so bad but I would have had to order online (no dealers anywhere close). The geometry was just too far out of whack to give me confidence to order online. 3T was wonderful last fall. I sent my last fit sheet and they had a recommendation but it was some big tweaks (seatpost, stem, handlebars). That just made me uncomfortable. That's when an LBS really adds value.

Quote | Reply
I absolutely love that paint design.
The higher stack ensures everyone will slam the stem.

They got ride of all the things I didn't like about the old Exploros. I think this might be my next bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They recommended you change the seatpost on an Exploro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks very good.

So, looking at the 3T website, unless I totally missed it, they don't really indicate what the max tire clearances are with 650B and then with 700C, and 1x and 2x, as typically those are different. Anyone know where those specs are?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 1, 20 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/...ecific-aerodynamics/

Bikerumor has some specs to that end. 27.5x2.25 seems like the max with 1x.
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to dig out the email. Maybe I'm recalling it wrong. There were three things that had to change.

Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

They got ride of all the things I didn't like about the old Exploros. I think this might be my next bike.

My *only* beef is that they didn't run the front brake hose internally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would want to replicate your TT position on a gravel bike?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

I took it as a sarcastic crack that most people TT position is not that different from their gravel position.. I could be wrong :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

so its not just me!!!
I look at that and think man, for $x,xxx I want some slickness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

Moreso a comment as to how the somewhat high stack shouldn't inhibit most people from obtaining their desired positions. Also, I had just looked at some old race photos and it really hit me just how "slack" the fit is of most age groupers... even relatively fast age groupers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

x2. I started in TT and have "slammed" TT and road positions.

I learned very quickly that doesn't work in technical gravel. I got religion in a cyclocross race. A Cat 1 CXer came up to me after a race, and said, "Dude, raise your bars 5cm and drop your saddle 3cm."

My next race was an absolute revelation. So much better.

I could see maybe a road position if you're just doing "fire road gravel," though.

That's the thing with "gravel" is it can mean everything from like BWR where there's some mild dirt in the middle of a road race, to doing single-track enduro on the wrong bike (which is incredible fun).
Last edited by: trail: Jun 1, 20 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Out of interest, what did you not like about the Exploro?
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to answer for him but the combo rear derailleur hanger, through-axle thing was really weird and annoyed many.
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a lot of fun, but the rear tire-seat tube clearance worries me. Having ridden through some nasty mud that has shut down bikes with great apparent clearance, I’d be concerned about wrecking this thing in wet/muddy conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Not to answer for him but the combo rear derailleur hanger, through-axle thing was really weird and annoyed many.

Also not to answer for him...

I personally don't mind the rear derailleur hanger. I did crossthread one hanger at the worst possible time, but i learned to be more careful after that. I switch wheels frequently and I don't even think of it as an extra obstacle anymore.

I did have a seatpost require warranty because the splined insert came apart from the carbon. I think it was semi common. I'm only 165 pounds but that made me feel pretty fat. Reguarding the adjustability of saddle tilt, people complain but i think they just didn't understand how the spines work.

My biggest complaint about my exploro is the seatpost clamp. I've had slipping and I've had creaking. They did warranty a clamp for me (the old clamp somehow bent) and it hasn't slipped since but it does still make some noise. Hopefully the clamp on the new bike works better.

I love my Exploro. It's the closest thing to a perfect bike that I've owned. It has its quirks and problems, but I've said for a while that if i broke this one, I'd buy another. Now if i broke this one, I'd buy the Race Max.

I wish i was still sponsored by them so i could get a new one...I'll have to keep dreaming about it for now. I can't justify the expense when my current 3T is nearly perfect already
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

so its not just me!!!
I look at that and think man, for $x,xxx I want some slickness.

If it weren't for the front brake hose I would have already ordered one.... still might.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got an original team Exploro and I’m glad they got rid of the derailleur hanger, I always hated that and the diff lock seat post. Speaking of the seat post, two days ago I had to drill out and use an extractor to remove the seat post wedge bolt. The first Exploro’s had a hole to access the wedge, which is stuck almost an inch inside the frame, from below and after years of it being exposed dirt had caked all around the wedge bolt and I thought I cleaned all of it out but I ended up stripping the hex and couldn’t remove it. It took me an hour with a drill to finally get the extractor to bite and unscrew the bolt.....WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!

Not too keen on the changes on the RaceMax, I love my Exploro (even with its faults), if anything I’d grab an original LTD since it has the flipped seat post wedge, flat mount and then order the new seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Looks very good.

So, looking at the 3T website, unless I totally missed it, they don't really indicate what the max tire clearances are with 650B and then with 700C, and 1x and 2x, as typically those are different. Anyone know where those specs are?

This seems to be where this get technical and potentially confusing but I follow their logic. 3T is only listing recommendations based on actual measured tire width and height when mounted on a wheel which they have new acronym for: RAM# and WAM# (Radius As Measured and Width As Measured where the # refers to rim internal width I think) .There is an explanation on their website but it follows a lot of testing they did in terms of trying to understand actual wheels+tire dynamics when comparing nominal tires sizes on various rims. The basic summary is in 650B you are fine with 2.1 inch tire and can go bigger depending on rim. For 700c the recommendation is to get the WAM at 35-42mm so that is like a 38-40mm tire on many rims. You can go bigger but its rim dependent and it looks like 3T recommends dropping to 650B wheel if you do really want to go bigger for handling purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just placed an order on the frameset. Very excited for the build!

Specialized Shiv Mafia?
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Chemist wrote:

x2. I started in TT and have "slammed" TT and road positions.

I learned very quickly that doesn't work in technical gravel. I got religion in a cyclocross race. A Cat 1 CXer came up to me after a race, and said, "Dude, raise your bars 5cm and drop your saddle 3cm."

My next race was an absolute revelation. So much better.

I could see maybe a road position if you're just doing "fire road gravel," though.

That's the thing with "gravel" is it can mean everything from like BWR where there's some mild dirt in the middle of a road race, to doing single-track enduro on the wrong bike (which is incredible fun).

Same/similar reach?
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:

Same/similar reach?

No, I just did a field change (flipping stem over) between CX races, and never properly accounted for reach. So the reach is shorter. But that was OK for me. I really noticed it on hairy descents where i could drop my butt behind the saddle and use a MTB-like position.

if I was doing high-speed gravel I'd probably go back closer to road. But this was for CX with a sadistic course designer. Savage pitches. Sand descents, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I really like about this frame is how close the (650b) tires run to the frame and fork - especially the minimal fork crown and 370mm fork length. I hate seeing a 2mm gap between a 650b tire and fork leg, but a 2 inch gap between the top of the fire and the crown! This is a bike that is really optimized for 650b option - when a bike lets you run 700 x 45 or 650 x 47, what's the point of 650b? but when it's 700 x 40 or 650 by 60, now there is a nice option!

Now, I have a terrible track record with expensive carbon frames. So is anyone familiar with a similar style (650b focused) bike in steel or aluminum?
Quote Reply
Re: The New 3T Exploro RaceMax [JiffyRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JiffyRob wrote:
Just placed an order on the frameset. Very excited for the build!

When are you getting the frame? A buddy inquired directly with 3T NA, and they mentioned 5 weeks. I thought these things were already out in the wild.
Quote Reply

Prev Next