Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone! Am working on specifications for a new TT/tri bike and have concluded that I want to go with disc brakes and ENVE SES 7.8 wheels.

ENVE wheels come with centerlock hubs which is fine if I want a centerlock rotor, but the industry standard is 6 bolt and would therefore require an adapter and bolts. It seems to me from an engineering and design perspective that centerlock is a better choice. If this is the case, then why has 6 bolt become the industry standard? I believe that 6 bolt rotors are lighter (for example Ti-Carbon), but by the time you add the adapter and bolts, most of the weight savings would be negated.

Is there a compelling reason to be considering 6 bolt rotors or is the SRAM Centerline XR rotor (Centerlock) the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Centerlock is the way to go.

I was in a similar circumstance and opted for centerlock simply because it was the only option for the DTswiss hub I got. Generally, the system is foolproof and the rotors 'look' cooler/aero (depending on pricepoint). I was also pleased to see that there is a range of pricepoints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these on my ENVEs and they work great. Super easy to swap out rotors if you want and they seem way more aero than anything that has bolts.

https://www.jensonusa.com/...PLFt2VRoCfHUQAvD_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Centerlock 100%.

Shimano IceTech rotors are simply the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sean. But then you would need to use bolts to attach the 6 bolt rotor to that DT Swiss adapter for the centerlock hubs, no?

Sean H wrote:
I use these on my ENVEs and they work great. Super easy to swap out rotors if you want and they seem way more aero than anything that has bolts.

https://www.jensonusa.com/...PLFt2VRoCfHUQAvD_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But then you would need to use bolts to attach the 6 bolt rotor to that DT Swiss adapter for the centerlock hubs, no?"

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the previous poster said, no you don't need bolts. There's 6 "pins" on that adapter that hold the rotor in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
++ for centerlock

I also got the 7.8 Disc, love them... but they are terrifying going downhill with strong cross wing (it happen often in my part of the world, i'm 160lbs), so if i had to do it again, i will get a 5.6 front / 7.8 back. And on most days i end up using my 35mm front from my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Centerlock is quick and easy, and would be my preference if i were buying new wheels.

I remember reading that 6 bolt hubs allow the bearings to be spaced out slightly wider, so that could be a marginal advantage. Pricing is slightly cheaper for 6 bolt.

With 6 bolt, if you bend a rotor on the trail, you can remove it with a multi tool and keep riding. With centerlock, you'd have to unbolt your caliper and try to tie it out of the way. On a TT bike, that's not going to be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 bolts means 24 bolts to unbolt/bolt when you change discs on a wheelset. This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring (I would add some oooooos if I could).
Go centerlock.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben....this is a little bit off topic, but I agree with you that having an ENVE 5.6 up front and 7.8 in the rear would be great. I wish that ENVE would offer mixed wheel depth purchases to accomplish this (like some other wheel manufacturers do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No reason not to go Centerlock. They are a nice advantage if you fly with (or ship) your bike since the rotors should be coming off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
but the industry standard is 6 bolt

if you ask me, the industry standard is centerlock.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
It seems to me from an engineering and design perspective that centerlock is a better choice. If this is the case, then why has 6 bolt become the industry standard?

6 bolt was the standard because it existed long before centerlock...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though I'd point out that Hope had a splined disc attachment standard way before 6 bolt OR shimano deciding it wanted its own splined design.
(Hope moved away from splined to ISO 6 bolt 20+ years ago, as 6 bolt was the adopted ISO by the rest of the industry (the industry being mountain bikes as road was still stuck in the dark ages)).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 8 or 9 sets of disc wheels and I hate the 3 or four that are six bolt anytime I have to replace or swap a rotor. It doesn’t sound like a big deal if you have one bike with 1 or 2 wheel sets, but centerlock is so much easier. I’ll never buy another six bolt wheelset. Never.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
Ben....this is a little bit off topic, but I agree with you that having an ENVE 5.6 up front and 7.8 in the rear would be great. I wish that ENVE would offer mixed wheel depth purchases to accomplish this (like some other wheel manufacturers do).

As far a i understand, enve doesn't pre produce wheels until we order... so pretty sure if you as nicely, that could be done. :)
(Last year they told me i could get a front 5.6 by itself)
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The industry standard is becoming Centerlock, mainly because Shimano want it to. As stated elsewhere on the thread, 6-bolt was the original standard, however Shimano then launched their own standard - Centerlock. They own the patent: https://patents.google.com/...t/US20070240945A1/en

As a result, Shimano are incentivised to ensure that the industry moves across to CL, something they've actively encouraged by only offering their high-end (Ultegra / Dura Ace) level rotors in CL, not 6-bolt. Given they're by far & away the leading OE supplier of road groupsets, hub manufacturers have been forced to switch to CL.

Interestingly, the graphic below shows why 6-bolt is arguably the superior design from a hub designers perspective - you can increase the bearing spacing on the axle as shown. However, it undeniable that CL is far superior from a user perspective when fitting, aligning & changing rotors.

Edit: can't get the graphic to work, link here: https://ibb.co/WKPLpfT
Last edited by: aka_finto: May 21, 20 3:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. This is very interesting. Just judging from the responses, it seems like centerlock is the preferred solution. And to this point, the ENVE SES wheels are only offered with centerlock hubs. Yes, you can use an adapter if you want 6 bolt with a centerlock hub, but that seems less than ideal. Interestingly though, some rotor manufacturers still only offer 6 bolt design (eg Carbon-Ti); I guess they are not closely following industry developments and trends very closely.

Out of curiosity, what is happening in the MTB world? Is it also transitioning from 6 bolt to centerlock?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
The industry standard is becoming Centerlock, mainly because Shimano want it to. As stated elsewhere on the thread, 6-bolt was the original standard, however Shimano then launched their own standard - Centerlock. They own the patent: https://patents.google.com/...t/US20070240945A1/en

As a result, Shimano are incentivised to ensure that the industry moves across to CL, something they've actively encouraged by only offering their high-end (Ultegra / Dura Ace) level rotors in CL, not 6-bolt. Given they're by far & away the leading OE supplier of road groupsets, hub manufacturers have been forced to switch to CL.

Interestingly, the graphic below shows why 6-bolt is arguably the superior design from a hub designers perspective - you can increase the bearing spacing on the axle as shown. However, it undeniable that CL is far superior from a user perspective when fitting, aligning & changing rotors.

Edit: can't get the graphic to work, link here: https://ibb.co/WKPLpfT

yes, shimano wants their product to become the industry standard. zipp wants their driver body to become industry standard. i want the slowtwitch forum to become the industry standard. i'm not arguing whether it should be, i'm just arguing that centerlock is now the industry standard. as for which one is the better design, i don't feel a difference in the braking, and i've never had a centerlock hub fail, so the utility of the design (for me) now flows down to other things. if you've stripped a bolt head from a 6-bolt system while taking your rotors off (i have) when packing your bike for airline travel, you're somewhere between inconvenienced and screwed. hence centerlock (for me). i think your post recognizes the utility of centerlock for things like this (e.g., changing rotors).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. I think you can argue either way as to whether 6-bolt or CL is inherently better but the facts are that CL is now the standard.

Just think it’s helpful for the OP (& others) to understand why it’s the standard and that it isn’t necessarily technologically superior to 6-bolt. I get your point re:Zipp et al. but in this case given it’s dominance of the OE groupset market, Shimano has enough clout to define standards like this.

FWIW, I absolutely do not miss the pain of having to unscrew & then refit 12 bolts every time I travel with my bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
Shimano has enough clout to define standards like this.

If that were always the case we'd be riding rapid rise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you used adaptors for 6 bolt to centerlock? I think this solves the bolt head issue but also gives the simplicity of ease of finding rotors anywhere as well as the cost saving from 6 bolt vrs centerlock,

Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adaptors add unnecessary weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brakes: Centerlock vs 6 bolt [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How so?

Rotors are never listed with the center lock ring in weights.

Above shown the legion rotors, floating rotor. 1PRIMUS 2PC Pat. PendinD

140 mm rotor (78g) plus their centerlock adapter (16g) is 94 grams.

Trp centerlock 100 mm is 100g without float
Sram centerline Centerlock with float is 102 grams

So, actually no weight gain, weight savings, easier and cheaper to replace.

Rotors, chains, cassettes are wear and tear items.

If you can save and still get amazing quality why not?
Quote Reply

Prev Next