Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th
Quote | Reply
Bundesliga will kick off on Saturday May 16th behind closed doors. What I read

https://www.espn.com/...jor-league-to-resume
  1. Players have been practicing for a month
  2. Teams play in their home stadiums as per normal, German mass gathering continues to Aug 31
  3. Any players testing positive for Covid19 will simply be treated like "injured" and put on a 14 day injury list
  4. League schedule to wrap up by 30 June

This should be an interesting test for other pro sports leagues and also for UCI pro cycling racing poised to kick off in August with the Tour de France grand depart targeted for Nice on the last weekend in August.

Germany has an advantage too that distances are "closer" than North America for game at home stadia.
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a big day for football(soccer) in Europe .
Not so much interested in the Bundesliga but it will do until the Premier league and my beloved Manchester United are playing again in early to mid June .
Although they are playing to empty stadiums you can pay 18 euro and have your facial image put on a cardboard cutout in the stands .
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching Dortmund v Schalke, its good, happiest I have been in months. Suppose some one has to love Man U
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested to see how this works out for all pro sports leagues. They are an experiment, because they really the first time that 22 people are allowed to get together in full contact with each other and share body fluids and the league is basically saying its OK for an asymptomatic player to come and play and spread it, and the player sits out when tested positive. Unless they are testing players every day before practice, then its going to slip in (do you know if they test daily). What I read is that they essentially are saying, we'll play on with Covid and those that get it, sit out and come back, but by doing so they are acknowledging that their world has to move on with Covid19 floating around, with no vaccine and they will spread it in their ranks as there no option if contact sports are to resume.

It sets the stage for how youth sports with contact resume at some point and how sports in close proximity (but not normal contact) like road cycling or draft legal triathlon can happen at the pro level. If you can have closed stadium pro soccer, it should be possible to have pro level ITU racing. The benefit Bundesliga or Premier league have is travel is inside a country and distances are relatively short!
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Watching Dortmund v Schalke, its good, happiest I have been in months. Suppose some one has to love Man U

I am watching Dortmund and Schalke. its live sports, and its my first sport from when I was a kid. Does not matter who is playing, its real humans doing real stuff, even in an empty stadium, its a start. Fingers crossed all goes well for this league and we get to the point that the TdF + Giro + Vuelta can roll by this fall.
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

I'm watching my team Red Bull Leipzig v. Freiburg right now. Feels good. Miss the fans in the stands, though.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

... because nobody in Manchester does 🤣

C'mon you Bluuuues
Last edited by: BobAjobb: May 16, 20 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
stevie g wrote:

I'm watching my team Red Bull Leipzig v. Freiburg right now. Feels good. Miss the fans in the stands, though.

I don't think "Red Bull Leipzig" actually exists, but perhaps you mean RasenBallsport Leipzig :P

Or perhaps you are referring to the team for whom this footballer plays?

That, of course, refers to the incident during which a Red Bull Salzburg player accidentally wore a RB Leipzig shirt.

Okay, that's enough banter for one day.

stevie g wrote:

You know who else was watching the Dortmund match and doesn't like Man U? Alf-Inge Haaland

With the user name you picked, I always wondered if you were a football fan, specifically a LFC supporter.

On a more serious note, I miss watching football and the associated bantering. One of the best part of the weekend before all this was to read the Graun's coverage of the matches.
Last edited by: echappist: May 16, 20 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
stevie g wrote:

C'mon you Bluuuues

Haha, i think that debate ended a long time ago, manchester is 50/50 blue/red.

Also got my fix waiting for Premier league to kick in, and also a united fan!
Hope it all works out in Germany so PL can start on time.
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, LIverpool forever, Growing up in Scotland 70's and 80's LIverpool were the club everyone supported, due to Kenny Dalglish, Souness, Hansen and back to Shankly.

Alfe I think is still annoyed at Keane, who actually tore his ligament trying to snap Alf.

Anyhow this match is so important, if we can show that sport can be run then we have a chance. It was pretty good even with no fans. If it spikes infections well not so good.

I'm a bit of an optimist with football, I think it will work (no data, no evidence), so I really want it to work.

In the meantime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPMGRo-h1C4
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep this is crucial and quite uplifting, takes me back to Kevin Keegan at Hamburg. You are right real humans doing real stuff, the lack of fans was okay and game was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hertha Fan checking in, feeling good after today!

Just to your point, I think players, staff and managers are staying in hotels with extremely limited interactions with folks outside the quarantine circle. Thats the idea in general plus testing before games.

The Leverkusen manager went out of the hotel to buy cosmetics and was banned from being part of the game for breaking quarantine:
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank the lord for German football bets Saturday morning in weeks, I'd watched all my old go too for off seasons:

86 world cup Goal Video
Rangers FC season wraps especially Brian Laudrap years
Raith Rovers Coca Cola Cup win against Celtic 1994 and then the UEFA Cup run against Bayern Munich up 2-1 at one point at the Olympic Stadium.
82 world cup, how Brazil don't win with that team
Liverpool 85-86 double

And the odd documentary about life on the terraces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Thank the lord for German football bets Saturday morning in weeks, I'd watched all my old go too for off seasons:

86 world cup Goal Video
Rangers FC season wraps especially Brian Laudrap years
Raith Rovers Coca Cola Cup win against Celtic 1994 and then the UEFA Cup run against Bayern Munich up 2-1 at one point at the Olympic Stadium.
82 world cup, how Brazil don't win with that team
Liverpool 85-86 double

And the odd documentary about life on the terraces

That list seems short by at least two matches, which is to say, Miracle of Istanbul and LFC 4-3 Barça

Actually, last week, I reminisced that it was about an year ago that your team took a corner quickly and trolled Coutinho in the process. I'm not a LFC fan (though I do admire Herr Klopp and his approach to managing), but that was a real delight. Many people might wait a decade or more to witness something like that, yet there I was, a relative newcomer when it comes to spectating the game, having witnessed not one but two exhilarating matches that week.
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote you add Miracle in Istanbul to the list.

In any case does anyone know how often the players and staff are tested?

As you can't play football with 'distancing' so this is important in terms of return to normal human activity and people in each others space, sharing germs and sweat and "not getting sick" or "getting sick".

These are young fit people with good cardiovascular systems, but also operating on the edge of physical exhaustion and having to fight the virus in this context and bouncing back for practices and games. So its a fairly "tough" environment in terms of exposure, but the "subjects" are potentially the highest capability you can get (good cardio, young, high testosterone, likely not diabetic, likly not having hypertension). It seems that the league and players are OK if some players get the virus, sit out their 14 days and are able to bounce back into action or at least they are willingly rolling with that.

I'd like to wish them a positive outcome, because eventually the world can't keep hiding from this thing, so the Bundesliga will offer a good window into what is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Istanbul did my head in, that first half was just shock. AC made us look like Sunday league, to be fair we had:

Igor Biscan
Milan Baros
Djmi Taraore
Djbril Cisse
Vladimir Smcier

While they fielded an awesome team. That Gerrard header then the magic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dida
Cafu
Jaap Staam
Nesta
Maldini
Pirlo
Gattusso
Seedorf
Kaka
Shevchenko
Crespo
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flychris wrote:
The Leverkusen manager went out of the hotel to buy cosmetics and was banned from being part of the game for breaking quarantine:

Augsburg.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flychris wrote:

Just to your point, I think players, staff and managers are staying in hotels with extremely limited interactions with folks outside the quarantine circle. Thats the idea in general plus testing before games.

So is the testing only before games or every day before practice. In other words, by game time, the rest of the team was exposed to a player who tested positive, but they can keep playing as long as their test passes. Is this correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
stevie g wrote:

C'mon you Bluuuues

We have a winner here

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
flychris wrote:

So is the testing only before games or every day before practice. In other words, by game time, the rest of the team was exposed to a player who tested positive, but they can keep playing as long as their test passes. Is this correct?

No, he hasn't tested positive, he has merely broken the league's quarantine rules. It's unlikely that he will have become infected on a single brief shopping trip.

Not saying this is OK, because:
1. The more people that break quarantine for "shopping trips", the more likely it is that someone somewhere in the league bubble will be infected.
2. You expect 19 yo footballers to do stupid $hit - it practically goes with the territory. But this is the manager who is supposed to grow out of that, and to set an example for his team.

Although you raise a good point - perhaps it is both a prudent precaution and a fitting punishment if a team/staff member breaks quarantine that the team forfeits the next game until everyone returns 2 negative tests. Imagine having to front your team and tell them that the reason they are forfeiting the next match is because you slipped out for toothpaste (although the whole problem with said 19 yo footballers is that they don't see that far ahead).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shalke looked unimpressive and lacking shape. Dortmund ran all over them, kind of a disappointing game if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was football, with goals, I'll even watch NASCAR this afternoon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Istanbul did my head in, that first half was just shock. AC made us look like Sunday league, to be fair we had:

Igor Biscan
Milan Baros
Djmi Taraore
Djbril Cisse
Vladimir Smcier

While they fielded an awesome team. That Gerrard header then the magic

Djimi Traore is now an assistant coach with the Seattle Sounders. Our kids are friends and I see and talk to him all the time. He's the nicest guy and doesn't mind my constant Liverpool talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Bundesliga Kicks Back off (German Pro Soccer League) May 16th [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very cool
Quote Reply

Prev Next