Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout
Quote | Reply
this thread is here to service a direct mail that will go out to all our newsletter subscribers. monty and i bought all remaining, upwards of 100, of a special makeup for performance stores (as they went into liquidation). we bought them via a business - New Dog - that's sort of morphed into a liquidation outlet (it's what we used to buy Tri Sports out of liquidation, as well as a few other closeouts). so there you go, we'll sell these for $295 + shipping + sales tax for in-Calif shipments. more pics a couple of posts down. if you're interested you'll PM monty, or email montyman007@hotmail.com

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 30, 20 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pics?
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
pics?

images in the first post, and here are a couple more. the come fully assembled, wheels on, lockable, easy for TSA to open and close, and pretty much spot on exactly the inside dimensions of this case, which i reviewed. the case is also light enough so that with a bike inside it's under the 50lb required for american and delta airlines coach class same-as-checked-baggage pricing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 30, 20 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know roughly the weight of the empty bag? I know you say light enough to go under 50 with a bike but I think it might be perfect for that plus other potential uses and would like to know a more exact weight. Thanks!

Update: duh! The pic says 12 kg net weight.
Last edited by: sylvius: Apr 30, 20 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan!

If I was to fit a 58cm NP3 into this bag - would the aerobars have to come off? Is there space for 2 wheels? Thanks!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Hi Dan!

If I was to fit a 58cm NP3 into this bag - would the aerobars have to come off? Is there space for 2 wheels? Thanks!

what i show in the article to which i linked is a box made by the same company, same size inside, and i've got a size L cervelo P Series. i used that case for my gravel bike, about a size 58cm. you will not have room for 2 SETS of wheels, but you will have room for 2 wheels. you will not be able to travel with a tri bike using this case if you try to keep the handlebars attached to the bike. but other than a particular scicon soft case i don't what case does all that. you can do okay with a tri all 3 large case. not much disassembly required. but then you'll have trouble flying with that case if you want it to be charged as regular luggage.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. So for something like a 58cm NP3, what would have to come off to fit into this case?

1. aerobars
2. seat post?
3. wheels obviously
4. pedals
5. rear derailleur?
6. fork?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Got it. So for something like a 58cm NP3, what would have to come off to fit into this case?

1. aerobars
2. seat post?
3. wheels obviously
4. pedals
5. rear derailleur?
6. fork?

i suspect the fork stays on. you could leave the RD attached, fitwise, but i never do, because that's a specific point of stress. yes, everything else comes off. and QR skewers come out if the wheels are of that style.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Using your magic estimating eye, you think this will fit in a small/midsize Euro car, say a VW Golf?

Thanks,

jan

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Dan,

Using your magic estimating eye, you think this will fit in a small/midsize Euro car, say a VW Golf?

Thanks,

jan

2 of them very easily fit inside a fairly small fiat hatchback/wagon i rented in italy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's 2kg lighter than the Trico Ironcase I've been using for 25 years. The dimensions are similar, except it appears to be trapezoidal, which kinda implies less interior room. An extra 2kg is a huge benefit if there's room, say, for a seatbag, wetsuit and helmet. It makes it a lot easier to stay within Air NZ's (and several other Star Alliance carriers') economy allowance of one checked bag at 23kg (which can be a bike box) and one 7kg carryon.

Is it as bombproof as the Ironcase?
Last edited by: steveblum: Apr 30, 20 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [steveblum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steveblum wrote:
It's 2kg lighter than the Trico Ironcase I've been using for 25 years. The dimensions are similar, except it appears to be trapezoidal, which kinda implies less interior room. An extra 2kg is a huge benefit if there's room, say, for a seatbag, wetsuit and helmet. It makes it a lot easier to stay within Air NZ's (and several other Star Alliance carriers') economy allowance of one checked bag at 23kg (which can be a bike box) and one 7kg carryon.

Is it as bombproof as the Ironcase?

yes. i have a LOT of history with the ironcase, which is still being sold, and is the product of my bestest oldest ironfriend, george yates. you can still make it under 50lb with the ironcase, but, probably not with your shoes, floor pump, performance enhancing drugs, seat tube motor, zebra radar detector.

i would say this has similar room. perhaps slightly more. trapezoidal makes it a little easier on the wheelbase dimension.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still got some cases left folks, and looks like they are getting to most places in 2 to 4 days..
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my case today! Easy to pack, easy to wheel (even with a duffel laid on top) and, importantly, my bike arrived unscathed. Thanks guys!
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good deal! There you go guys, first 5 star review...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are these cases still available?
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [march] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEs they are, sent out two last week. Unfortunately at the exact time we bought them Covid struck, airlines stopped flying, and just about every big race one would fly to was cancelled. So we have a good amount left, and shipping is going very fast on these, usually 3 or 4 days door to door..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one of these cases a month ago. $370 shipped to me in Iowa. Used it on bike trip to the East Coast last week. Flew United, no extra baggage fees either direction. Was able to keep it right at 50lbs and they did not question the fact that it was oversized.

A bit of a tight fit for my 56cm Soma DoubleCross, but everything fit and survived the trip just fine.

Thanks for all of the assistance Monty. Very satisfied customer here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you ship to Canada?
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Andy, but Canada is just too expensive and it just isn't worth it in the end. Most our Canadian customers are using US addresses where they can pick up, or have friends bring them. Dan just put out another email for these, and 5 are going to border states for you folks up north..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you recommend this box over the Bike Box II that you reviewed in the link?

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [Doctor_J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doctor_J wrote:
Would you recommend this box over the Bike Box II that you reviewed in the link?

i like them both. but here are a few comparison snippets. they are almost exactly the same size inside. this case that we're selling is easier for TSA. the bike box II is great, but if you are repacking it, on the clock, under time stress, and you've never seen it before and you don't know how it goes together, this is the TSA concern. but they're both made by the same manufacturer, they're both great cases. there are certain cases by this maker that i don't like very much, but each of these 2 cases are great.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty. Any cases left? I'd like to purchase 2 from you. Thanks.
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Shell Bike Travel Case Closout [1triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure do Jim, and I think you sent me an email that I have answered several times, but it keeps getting kicked back as undeliverable. Just send me a PM here with your email and we can sort this out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty,

I tried sending you an email and a PM regarding a box

Thanks,
J

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply