Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pioneer Power Meter help.
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a bike with a Pioneer PM on it. I haven’t been able to get the PM to connect to my Garmin 520.

I have replaced the batteries twice with brand new batteries and when doing so the green light appears on both sides when the battery is replaced. When I spin the crank backwards the green light appears on non drive side to wake up the unit.

Magnets are attached to both sides of BB. My Garmin has no problem picking up my other PM. I have also tried using my Garmin 500 and still was not able to pick up my Pioneer unit.

I tried using Zwift to see if that would locate the Pioneer unit but still had no luck.

I took my bike away from all other units and went outside, removed all PM’s from my head unit and tried searching for PM and again no luck.

Anyone have any other suggestions as I have never used PIoneer previously. I have 2 Stages PM and Wahoo kickr that my head units have never had an issue picking up.

Appreciate it if anyone has an other suggestions.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter help. [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PM may be set to it proprietary ANT setting and would need to be switched to regular ANT
go to pioneer website and you can pull the instructions to switch modes that way

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this video tutorial of how to switch to ANT+ mode.

I have a Pioneer too and for some reason, I think there were some models/firmware that this process doesn't work. As a result, I had to buy one of those crappy pioneer head units to switch from 'pedal' to 'ANT+' mode from the head unit.

I'm not positive on this, but the new Wahoo computers might able to do this switch (check out DC Rainmaker's review/comments on the wahoo computer).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue with a quarq pm. Sounds silly, but take the battery out, put a penny in the battery spot for like 30secs, remove and put battery back in. That may “re-boot” it if you will.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're getting a green light then it's in the proprietary Pioneer mode and Garmins, Zwift, etc. can't read the signal.

For a Garmin to read it you need it in standard ant+ mode (solid orange for dual sided system, flashing orange means it's in single side mode).

If it's the newer systems with BT you can download the mobile app to your phone and make the switch.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter help. [amos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyones help. I'm trying to switch over from green to orange but when I press and hold the button in nothing happens. Won't change. Ive reached out to Pioneer for help.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter help. [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I'm not positive on this, but the new Wahoo computers might able to do this switch

Yep. Elemnt/Bolt/Roam can switch an ANT+ Pioneer unit to Single/Dual ANT+ / Pedalling Monitor.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that this was my experience too (The switches just don't work). In this case, you need to use a Pioneer or compatible Wahoo computedo the conversion from "pedaling mode" to "ANT+".

I'd reach out to the person you bought the unit from as they likely have one of these computers.

Forsey wrote:
Thanks for everyones help. I'm trying to switch over from green to orange but when I press and hold the button in nothing happens. Won't change. Ive reached out to Pioneer for help.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter help. [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forsey, I know this is an old topic but were you able to get this resolved? I just purchased a bike with the Pioneer PM and am experiencing the same issue.
Thanks,

****Update****
I followed the advice from the other post and was able to resolve my issue. I purchased the Pioneer SGX-CA500 and was able to switch it to ant+ mode. I have the SGY-PM910H model. If the meters were purchased later than June 2015, the Pioneer computer is required to switch the mode. I had to manually enter the device number to be able to update the firmware. I included links for the firmware update process and the installation manual if anyone else experience the same issue. I'm now able to pair it with my Garmin 530.

Firmware update:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...0Update%20Manual.pdf

Installation manual:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...llation%20Manual.pdf
Last edited by: Ainoi: Apr 24, 20 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Pioneer PM that I use w/ an Edge 500. I also have a Quark PM on another bike that is also used w/ the Edge 500. I have an intermittent problem that occurs only w/ the Pioneer PM and wonder if anyone has experienced a similar issue. When doing intervals (which I do on a very flat 5k loop) I will see my cadence drop to "0" even as I am still pedaling, then I see my 10sec ave power start to drop off and my "lap power" slowly decline as well. These "drops" usually only last for 1-10 seconds and they don't occur on every ride or every interval. My effort is continuous and even during these drops. It only I have seen my lap power drop by as much as 10w during one of these events. I really like the bike this PM is on, but it lacks dependability for interval workouts. Has anyone else had something like this happen and possibly have any ideas? I contacted Pioneer and have taken all recommendations short of returning the meter to them for service.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! This sounds totally wacked. And it is. But I needed to use a Panasonic CR-2032 battery. I only found this out through much trial and error. Sony, Energizer, and some off brand did not work. I mean they worked enough to light the LED. But they could not be found by the 520. This is not advice given by Pioneer. For some reason, I just tried this. Now I bought a pack of the Panasonic batteries and those are the ones I use for the Pioneer PM. I've replaced the battery several times now. As long I use those batteries, it always works. Hope this works for you, too.
Quote Reply