Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
COVID, insider’s view from DC
Quote | Reply
Most of you following the COVID threads know I work as a PA in critical care. Smallish community hospital on the border of DC/MD. Today the floodgates opened and we’ve been overrun with COVID patients. Here’s the quick snapshot of what that looks like.

COVID patients in the ICU have doubled each of the last two days. It was a slow trickle at first, over the last two weeks. That phase is over. Game on.

Most admitted to ICU end up on the vent. Our entire neuro/surgical ICU (16 beds) is full with COVID and suspected COVID patients. They are now overflowing to the main ICU, as expected, as well as isolation rooms on the above floors. I don’t know the total number, as it changes by the minute. We’re treating suspected as infected, for obvious reasons. The drain on resources is tremendous. Time, personnel, logistics, PPE, everything. It’s like operating in a completely different environment now, versus two days ago.

WE DO NOT HAVE ADEQUATE TESTING. We’re still looking at 5-7 day turnaround for results, which clogs up the system with patients who could be ruled out and moved out, making room for more COVID positive patients. We were told we’d have in-house testing on the 28th. Problem is the reagent won’t be available to us for another TWO WEEKS, which roughly correlates with the anticipated peak for this area, according to a few resources. We are not alone in this problem. When Trump or anyone says that testing is adequate, bullshit. We’re so far behind the curve, it’s embarrassing and causing so many downstream problems, I can’t begin to list them all.

Also contrary to what the administration is saying, we are taking measures to make certain patients DNR/DNI on arrival. I know this because I just made this happen. I responded to a rapid response on the main floor for a nursing home patient with advanced dementia and a host of problems came in Full Resuscitation, then developed worsening respiratory symptoms, to the point where an oxygen mask is barely adequate. I called my critical care colleague, and the managing Hospitalist, and gave my recommendation. The CC colleague called the top administrator in charge of these decisions, and within minutes the code status was changed to Do Not Resuscitate, Do Not Intubate. Neither the patient nor the next of kin have a say in this now. There is no recourse. And I guarantee you this is happening across the country where the numbers of admissions are spiking. If you have a family member nearing the end of life, you should expect to encounter this in high COVID rate areas.

The staff, nursing and respiratory therapists in particular, are CONSTANTLY exposed to these patients, far more than the PAs or MDs. And they’re terrified. These are critical care nurses who’ve been there and done that. When COVID patients on vents—presuming they’re available—start hitting the other units, the nurses will be overwhelmed. This is coming, and it’s going to be ugly. I’m staying here overnight again to help out, and working the noon shift tomorrow. I’ll probably stay tomorrow night as well, and will sleep when I can. It’s an all hands on deck situation now, and if one hand goes down, boy are we screwed. It will decimate our capacity to manage all these patients. I’m supposed to be off for 7 days starting...whatever two days from today is, but I fully expect to be here almost every day. Some of my colleagues are immunocompromised and they need to limit their exposure time.

We are reusing PPE that should be one-time use, and “sterilizing” as best we can. I don’t know what the supply line looks like now, but we’re not the only ones with increasing demand, so I’m not holding my breath.

We have had two COVID patients improve. Neither of them required ventilators. Zero deaths so far. Roughly half of our COVID patients are on vents. None have come off yet or showed much improvement. Their chest X-rays are atrocious. This thing is no joke. Keep yourself and especially your sick or elderly friends and family as far from this virus as possible.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Mar 31, 20 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: COVID, insider’s view from DC [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck man and thanks for being there.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, and holy fuck.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay safe (as safe as is possible anyway) and thank you for all you're doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all that you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. Thanks so much for posting this and please stay safe. I’m looking forward to updates as the view from the frontlines is so important since we can’t seem to get an accurate picture elsewhere.

The local hospital nearest me believe they’re ready for an onslaught and stated they can get test results in 48 hours so I’m hopeful we don’t get overrun locally. But who the bell knows at this point.

Sounds like some tough but prudent decisions being made. All the best to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you and your colleagues are doing a great job, hope it lets up sooner than we all think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling the DC metro area is the new New York.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ughh. Hang in there...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
I assume you are ok with us sharing this (namelessly)

Good luck, stay safe

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked as an orthopedic tech in what was said to be the busiest emergency room in Canada many years ago. There was definitely an adrenaline rush, but what you are describing is an entirely different level. Be safe and your service is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update and for all you’re doing. Hope you and your colleagues can stay safe.

Our community has started a program where locals raise money to pay restaurants to deliver food to the hospital. The restaurants get business and the medical staff appreciate the free food.

It’s called Front Line Appreciation Group (FLAG) and it’s spread to 20 locations around the states.
Maybe someone can set it up in your area.
Quote Reply
Re: COVID, insider’s view from DC [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve heard the same. I bought a bunch of pizzas for the SICU staff today and mentioned ICU in the comment section of my online order, no discount. Those business are hurting worse than we are, I have to assume.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holyshit! What are the age groups that you are seeing in bad condition?

Thank you doesn't seem like enough.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for working so hard. For your patients. And for trying to keep staff morale up. Pizza for them was awesome of you.

Make sure you care for yourself. Rest. Totally unplug, even if just for an hour a day. All about balance my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck to you, and thanks for your hard work.

Reading these accounts is terrifying. Our hospital is slow right now, but I feel like we are just watching the tsunami get closer from off in the distance...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Most of you following the COVID threads know I work as a PA in critical care. Smallish community hospital on the border of DC/MD. Today the floodgates opened and we’ve been overrun with COVID patients. Here’s the quick snapshot of what that looks like.

COVID patients in the ICU have doubled each of the last two days. It was a slow trickle at first, over the last two weeks. That phase is over. Game on.

Most admitted to ICU end up on the vent. Our entire neuro/surgical ICU (16 beds) is full with COVID and suspected COVID patients. They are now overflowing to the main ICU, as expected, as well as isolation rooms on the above floors. I don’t know the total number, as it changes by the minute. We’re treating suspected as infected, for obvious reasons. The drain on resources is tremendous. Time, personnel, logistics, PPE, everything. It’s like operating in a completely different environment now, versus two days ago.

WE DO NOT HAVE ADEQUATE TESTING. We’re still looking at 5-7 day turnaround for results, which clogs up the system with patients who could be ruled out and moved out, making room for more COVID positive patients. We were told we’d have in-house testing on the 28th. Problem is the reagent won’t be available to us for another TWO WEEKS, which roughly correlates with the anticipated peak for this area, according to a few resources. We are not alone in this problem. When Trump or anyone says that testing is adequate, bullshit. We’re so far behind the curve, it’s embarrassing and causing so many downstream problems, I can’t begin to list them all.

Also contrary to what the administration is saying, we are taking measures to make certain patients DNR/DNI on arrival. I know this because I just made this happen. I responded to a rapid response on the main floor for a nursing home patient with advanced dementia and a host of problems came in Full Resuscitation, then developed worsening respiratory symptoms, to the point where an oxygen mask is barely adequate. I called my critical care colleague, and the managing Hospitalist, and gave my recommendation. The CC colleague called the top administrator in charge of these decisions, and within minutes the code status was changed to Do Not Resuscitate, Do Not Intubate. Neither the patient nor the next of kin have a say in this now. There is no recourse. And I guarantee you this is happening across the country where the numbers of admissions are spiking. If you have a family member nearing the end of life, you should expect to encounter this in high COVID rate areas.

The staff, nursing and respiratory therapists in particular, are CONSTANTLY exposed to these patients, far more than the PAs or MDs. And they’re terrified. These are critical care nurses who’ve been there and done that. When COVID patients on vents—presuming they’re available—start hitting the other units, the nurses will be overwhelmed. This is coming, and it’s going to be ugly. I’m staying here overnight again to help out, and working the noon shift tomorrow. I’ll probably stay tomorrow night as well, and will sleep when I can. It’s an all hands on deck situation now, and if one hand goes down, boy are we screwed. It will decimate our capacity to manage all these patients. I’m supposed to be off for 7 days starting...whatever two days from today is, but I fully expect to be here almost every day. Some of my colleagues are immunocompromised and they need to limit their exposure time.

We are reusing PPE that should be one-time use, and “sterilizing” as best we can. I don’t know what the supply line looks like now, but we’re not the only ones with increasing demand, so I’m not holding my breath.

We have had two COVID patients improve. Neither of them required ventilators. Zero deaths so far. Roughly half of our COVID patients are on vents. None have come off yet or showed much improvement. Their chest X-rays are atrocious. This thing is no joke. Keep yourself and especially your sick or elderly friends and family as far from this virus as possible.

Fuck.

70-85% of those placed on vents die anyway? How about the drug treatments?

Fuck.

We're about to get a lot better at dealing with death, the hard way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Sphere- I can’t imagine waging the battle you and your team are fighting.

Personally, I am freaked out bc my wife was tested today. We’re waiting 48 hours for her results. She has a cough. Her fever comes and goes and she’s miserable. We’re young (42ish) and healthy. But we have 2 young kids who are freaked the fuck out bc my 7-year old son w autism has been studying COVID-19 for more than a month.

It’s really difficult to go over night from lawyering at home to teaching/parenting/care-givering and not freaking the fuck out myself. I’m scared for what is coming and other than y’all, my internet friends, I don’t want to reach out to anyone else to talk about it because I know they’re freak out too.

I can’t imagine being in your position. Thank you for putting it out there for others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. Thank you for sharing. Stay safe and pace yourself.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for checking in and thanks for the work you r are doing. Hang in there!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've avoided reading this post all night. It went about how I was hoping it wouldn't.

Much respect. I couldn't do your job. Stay as safe as you can.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all you do!

This sounds horrifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking time out of your obviously very busy day to post; it's very much appreciated.

Now please go get some sleep! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

My sister is a Respiratory Therapist at a Children's hospital in Ontario. I worry about her. Fortunately it appears they will be ok for PPE, but who knows if this continues on for too long. Hasn't hit them hard yet, but everyone knows it's coming.

Stay safe everyone.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: COVID, insider’s view from DC [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I've avoided reading this post all night. It went about how I was hoping it wouldn't.

Much respect. I couldn't do your job. Stay as safe as you can.

This, even if I was smart enough to be a doctor I couldn’t do what he’s doing.

All I can say is thanks, and stay safe.

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next