Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
What is the experience like on Zwift forvthose on dumb trainers ?

I've tried Zwift on a Wahoo but Ihave Tacx Blue Motion trainer ?

It's not bad. I was on a Cycleops Fluid for a few years with Zwift. I was much better climbing on the roads after my time with this set up-I was climbing moderate grades at a higher cadence.

My Fluid finally crapped out and I got a Direto on a good deal and the Zwift experience, overall, is better. If I had a good dumb trainer and didn't need to replace it, I wouldn't...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
What is the experience like on Zwift forvthose on dumb trainers ?

I've tried Zwift on a Wahoo but Ihave Tacx Blue Motion trainer ?

Like the poster above, I also did Zwift on a fluid trainer for a while. It's enough to keep you engaged on shorter workouts.

Now, experience not necessarily being worth it? I think it boils down to how nice a smart trainer you can afford. If it is one with good flywheel or virtual flywheel weight and responds quickly and accurately...........oh yeah it is worth it.

I got tired of with the dumb trainer not really being able to do group stuff and feel the draft effect. I'd just keep hitting it and bouncing fore-aft off the front person or few. Now with smart trainer, I can actually sit-in and stuff.

Also, even on a trainer with modest max % grade, it's a lot more fun to climb with a constantly changing resistance making your body be more dynamic to adapt to the changes in cadence, gearing, out of saddle, etc.....

My next upgrade will be a DIY rocker plate to make more than 90min physically less demanding on my rear end. If I fix that, I could see doing 2 and 3 hr rides indoors.

On the fluid? Never, Zwift or not, would I ride a fluid more than like 45min.

I also briefly had a wheel-on trainer in the Kickr Snap, but killed it in two rides. It was a refurb unit of the "bad years". Now on a new serial # batch Core direct drive, and that thing feels great even compared to the Snap. The Snap was good. But still, the direct drive is amazing. DCRainmaker says this also. That the direct drive just makes the experience.

I didn't want to fart around either with having to swap a trainer wheel around from road/TT bike all the time.

Also, the fluid caused issues because I own one power meter my road/TT bike share. Got tired of swapping it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Any idea if/when Zwift running will show power on screen? It's frustrating to be running with a Stryd footpod, and have to have my Garmin 935 running in parallel to see power. I know that Zwift gets the data from the footpod because when the run is uploaded from Zwift to Strava and Training Peaks the power data is all in there. This has been a pretty highly requested feature on their forums, so I'm struggling to understand why it hasn't yet been added, as it seems ot be as simple as adding a data field on the screen (that already exists in cycling mode).

i'll ask.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i'll ask.

Thank you sir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
cowboy7 wrote:
What is the experience like on Zwift for those on dumb trainers ? I've tried Zwift on a Wahoo but I have Tacx Blue Motion trainer?

others can correct me if i'm wrong. obviously the experience gets better as the tech gets better. the absolute best experience i've had so far on zwift is on the Wahoo Kickr Bike. but that's top of the heap. i'm going to spend some time on both the Saris platform, and on the Tacx NEO Bike, which i just built up yesterday. and then i'll be prepared for some model-by-model shootouts.

below that - and by far the bulk of my experience - is just the typical smart trainer. you should be able to get those in the $700 to $800, and i believe, unless they're sold out, wahoo has a kickr refurb deal on right now in that price range. saris and wahoo, and elite, should all have deals of some sort in that price range if you nose around and are even a little patient.

dumb trainers, fine, assuming you don't max out the watts of the trainer. what you cannot do on that is to have zwift control the difficulty. you have to do that yourself, through gearing. in other words, you can't be riding along and all of a sudden it gets easier - without you changing gears - because the "road" on which you're riding begins to descend. what does happen, tho, is zwift senses the power you're producing, and if you make no change in your power then you'll speed up as the road pitches down.

what you'll need, tho, is a way to transmit your power to zwift. best way is via a power meter. but if you don't have a power meter on your bike, then there's the speed & cadence sensor. that's maybe $60, all in? that device makes a pretty good guess at your power, and that's what tells zwift what you're doing, which is translated to your avatar on zwift.

i have zero experience riding zwift on a dumb trainer. i suspect it's fine. much, much better than riding in front of reruns of the honeymooners.

Thanks Dan

I have to admit my Tacx is taking up space in the kitchen but has barely been used.

I've got a cadence sensor and the USB device.

I've spent ages poring over reviews but really not sure if even a smart trainer would also end up gathering dust !

Saris H2 are now about the same price as Suito

In the UK I think trainers have become scarce like toilet roll !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
el gato wrote:
Any idea if/when Zwift running will show power on screen? It's frustrating to be running with a Stryd footpod, and have to have my Garmin 935 running in parallel to see power. I know that Zwift gets the data from the footpod because when the run is uploaded from Zwift to Strava and Training Peaks the power data is all in there. This has been a pretty highly requested feature on their forums, so I'm struggling to understand why it hasn't yet been added, as it seems ot be as simple as adding a data field on the screen (that already exists in cycling mode).

i'll ask.

Curious to know if you ever heard back on this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Slowman wrote:
el gato wrote:

i'll ask.

Curious to know if you ever heard back on this?

Thanks!

yes. i asked and it was answered. don't expect this in the short term. this is not a highly-requested feature. meaning, it may be that a fair number of people are requesting it, but as requests go this is way down the list, probably because any cycling request dwarfs any running request.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply and answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the idea today of allowing event organizers of races to do their own watt limits and categories. The current ones seem random sometimes.

Also, introduce wattage limits versus only w/kg limits. W/kg matters for crap on most anything with less elevation than 60 feet per mile average or non-mountainous. Maybe watt categories for flatter races and w/kg for hilly/mountains.

Also, there needs to almost be B+ and B- and A-, A, and A+. Which is a lot, but those folks barely at 4w/kg........whew.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I had the idea today of allowing event organizers of races to do their own watt limits and categories. The current ones seem random sometimes.

Also, introduce wattage limits versus only w/kg limits. W/kg matters for crap on most anything with less elevation than 60 feet per mile average or non-mountainous. Maybe watt categories for flatter races and w/kg for hilly/mountains.

Also, there needs to almost be B+ and B- and A-, A, and A+. Which is a lot, but those folks barely at 4w/kg........whew.

my instinct tells me zwift is moving toward something like what you're suggesting.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Clubs feature may, eventually allow something like this. Too soon to know for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

my instinct tells me zwift is moving toward something like what you're suggesting.

Sweet.

It's my personal opinion that this has the potential to do some good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question...Is Zwift support so backed up that a ticket opened on April 2 still has not been answered?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Why does my power graph “flatline” when I sprint?
Elite Direto thru Zwift on my iPhone mirrored to a TV. Everything always working as it should except when I sprint. My power graph on the Zwift screen gets to a level and then flatlines like it’s maxed out.....which I know is a joke.....and once I drop my power back below a level.....everything reads fine again??

Along those lines, the power and HR graph at the bottom of the screen simply quit showing up a few weeks ago on my iPad. Other people's screenshots that I see on Strava and the companion app still show it, but I don't have it anymore. I've looked at the settings, but didn't find anything that looks like it would affect that. Anyone have any ideas? I really miss that feature...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a PC or Mac you press the 'G' button to get the power/HR graph up. You said you are using an iPad. On the iPad it's a menu button. So touch the screen, click the menu button, and there is a graph like button, among the buttons displayed. That's how you toggle it on and off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Zwift on a Macbook Air from last year. There seems to be an extreme slowness to the game loading up right after I login every time (the spin goes on for maybe up to 2min?) and when I am about to do a calibration (when I press "next" and it takes you to the calibration screen at 23mph).

Not a big deal really but was wondering if this is most likely a problem on my side (laptop too slow?) or due to the amount of people using the platform.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
On a PC or Mac you press the 'G' button to get the power/HR graph up. You said you are using an iPad. On the iPad it's a menu button. So touch the screen, click the menu button, and there is a graph like button, among the buttons displayed. That's how you toggle it on and off.

Thanks!

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
I use Zwift on a Macbook Air from last year. There seems to be an extreme slowness to the game loading up right after I login every time (the spin goes on for maybe up to 2min?) and when I am about to do a calibration (when I press "next" and it takes you to the calibration screen at 23mph).

Not a big deal really but was wondering if this is most likely a problem on my side (laptop too slow?) or due to the amount of people using the platform.

i doubt it's the laptop. i've run zwift on an older macbook air with no trouble. i do think there's a 3rd option: that there's a general slowness to the internet. big load on the internet. but i'm not finding, lately, any issue loading the game. what i did find, 2 or 3 weeks ago, was an issue saving a ride. that was very slow. exiting the game was slow. but i for whatever reason am not having that problem now.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want to do the Four Horsemen. Wondering how many hours I should set aside. FTP 240.

Any ideas?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am currently route-bagging. Did Four Horsemen last week, averaged ~3.3W/kg and it took 3:07. Are you on Strava and what other routes have you done? I have Strava filtered to hide everything but the "Zwift Insider Verified" segments. You can also find the links to the segments from Zwift Insider. If you filter a leaderboard to your weight class you get an idea of time for power. Keep in mind the best times will be often from group rides/races, if you are going solo you can expect it to take longer (10% maybe?).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with this. On flat to rolling courses its all about the watts, not w/kg. It seems like heavier riders putting out more absolute watts have an advantage over lighter riders on flat courses.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:

I have an ~8 year old Macbook Pro and It's the same thing.
From the time I hit "Let's Ride" Until the Log-In screen where you pair devices is ~5 minutes of waiting.

Seems to run fine once everything is loaded.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a reply in particular. Just going to mention that since February, I’ve nearly 100% training on zwift for the bike and run. Switched to cords in April to keep a little swim fitness. Averaging 30+ plus running on treadmill and 120+ miles biking. We’ll see how this goes. Following the Zwift faster 5k s8 week structure. Also Zwift group structures rides with team or just plain indoor racing as well. Am hoping to come out of this swinging for the fences when races open back up. Really curious how well the indoor fitness and form is going to translate outdoor, but at least having loads of fun right now.

Have to add am really enjoying the Bowflex treadmill that syncs up with Zwift natively. On and go. It’s been a while since I’ve run double digits on the treadmill, but now I’ve been doing it regularly.

Will report back when season starts but would be interested in hearing how indoor training has helped/hurt others when racing in real life.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Bowflex treadmill are you on? We're looking at one given the craziness of the world.

To the users with Mac issues: I'm on a MacBook Pro from 2013 and have never experienced any of the issues described. What trainers are you guys using?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next