Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
You don't need the 4k version. His version (4th gen) works with zwift, it's currently what I'm using.

zwift, and our editors, are pretty adamant that the 4k version is required. but if it's working for you then i guess it works. i don't know anything about the 4th gen. as to why it won't pick up a signal, i'm out of my wheelhouse.

i would just say this. the user wrote that he has a "Quarq Riken (ant+)" power meter. as far as i know, appletv only picks up a BLE signal. so, unless the quarq sends a BLE signal, the appletv won't pick that up. i believe that most quarqs send signals using both communication protocols, but if the riken is only sending an ANT+ signal, this could be the problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Sean H wrote:
You don't need the 4k version. His version (4th gen) works with zwift, it's currently what I'm using.

zwift, and our editors, are pretty adamant that the 4k version is required. but if it's working for you then i guess it works. i don't know anything about the 4th gen. as to why it won't pick up a signal, i'm out of my wheelhouse.

i would just say this. the user wrote that he has a "Quarq Riken (ant+)" power meter. as far as i know, appletv only picks up a BLE signal. so, unless the quarq sends a BLE signal, the appletv won't pick that up. i believe that most quarqs send signals using both communication protocols, but if the riken is only sending an ANT+ signal, this could be the problem.

Straight from the zwift website

https://support.zwift.com/...-run-zwift-H1Cj9QbeB

Yes his problem is his powermeter isn't transmitting in bluetooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like everyone is a big fan of Zwift. As a comparison, have you tried Rouvy and if so, what did you like/dislike about it? I have not tried Zwift, but I am a fan of Rouvy. I like the real world high def view of where I am. I'm able to ride routes I rode as a kid and see exactly what it's like now, not animated. I know I have not scratched the surface of it's capabilities, but I seem to get features and data I'd expect. The search feature stinks, but I'm not looking for tons of routes either.

Fair disclosure, I'm using this on dumb rollers with speed and cadence sensors, so I'm not experiencing the gradient changes others are with their smart trainers. I don't need to know exact watts or ftp, but the readings seem pretty consistent and repeatable, so it's close enough for me.

thanks for any feedback and stay well
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I signed up for zwiftpower.com after completing a race. anyway to have my result added in still?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift is social...and that is all you need to know. There are any number of road simulator programs and/or hard core training platforms that do things Zwift can't. But Zwift allows you to ride and race with real people in virtual space which is something no one else is really offering.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could go on the zwiftpower forums and ask to be added, they are pretty good about listening to people. But, I wouldnā€™t worry about it too much, just do some more races! šŸ˜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
Seems like everyone is a big fan of Zwift. As a comparison, have you tried Rouvy and if so, what did you like/dislike about it?

see, this is where it pays to know we have a front page. where we post articles. where 5 of those below are ONLY about rouvy, and where i spent a large chunk of an article just written about virtual racing talking about how i predict that ironman will partner with rouvy for its virtual events.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - must be the BLE vs Ant+ that is the issue. My Quarq is circa 2017 i think, and only the new ones broadcast both signals. I'll see if I can convert somehow. thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
Thanks - must be the BLE vs Ant+ that is the issue. My Quarq is circa 2017 i think, and only the new ones broadcast both signals. I'll see if I can convert somehow. thanks all.

there's a bunch of ANT+ dongles. now, what i do NOT have, but what you MAY have in the back of your appletv is a free USB port. i ask myself whether there's a dongle one might use for an appletv that has a USB port. otherwise, as a possible solution, from the folks who make the RUNN that i just wrote about:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no USB on the back of the Apple TV unfortunately. Wish all my rugrats weren't clogging up the computers with their "distance learning," or else I'd use the Ant+ dongle with a laptop. I just bought the Cable Ant+>BTE converter recommended above, I'll try that and report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is more of a Companion App question. Is there any ability to save or mark as a "favorite" rides or races?
Some rides/races are definitely better than others...but I always forget which ones I prefer. Is there a way to tag or mark rides/races to a list? It would be nice if I could look each week at a favorites list to see a list and make look to make my schedule work for "preferred" rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
Can i ride a course by myself? Sometimes i find it distracting if i'm riding in the NYC one and there are hundreds of riders everywhere. Occasionally i'd like to ride in the country without a million people everywhere.

Sure, it's called Rouvy.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
This is more of a Companion App question. Is there any ability to save or mark as a "favorite" rides or races?
Some rides/races are definitely better than others...but I always forget which ones I prefer. Is there a way to tag or mark rides/races to a list? It would be nice if I could look each week at a favorites list to see a list and make look to make my schedule work for "preferred" rides.

boy i don't know. perhaps others here can help.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, Iā€™m pretty sure there isnā€™t

On zwiftpower they have a pretty extensive filter list. Favorites isnā€™t one of them, but you can filter by series, which may or may not help you. They have several other filters as well.

Edit: You can also see your ride/race history on zwiftpower which may help jog your memory of which rides you like
Last edited by: MRid: Mar 25, 20 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got passed by Alistair Brownlee a couple of days ago on Zwift. He usually waves but I had my sunglasses on so he didn't recognize me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just thought of another feature they could add that would be really nice.

With covid19, a lot of us are now utilizing the "meet up" feature, specifically using the "keep everyone together" option. It allows you to ride with your buddies even if everyone is doing a different workout.

On the main screen when you login, it always gives you the option to join someone you follow who is already riding. But you don't stick together unless you ride similar w/kg. It would be cool if you could do this and be banded together via "keep everyone together" option. Since some people may not want to be joined, it would have to be an option left up to the original rider. A simple selection on the main screen: "do you want to allow riders to join you?" Then when people join you while you're already riding, you could then be "kept together." This would also allow people who are a minute or two late to a meetup to still join (which they can't as of right now).

Wish there was a way to tag Jordan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Zwift musings:

-There needs to be more sub-classes of racing in the A/B area. There's a huge difference between someone who can ring out 4w/kg a couple times and the bigger boys. I admit to the sin of making my weight heavier by a kg or two and racing B.

-For tri/TT folks they need to add more purchasable kit at more reasonable game levels. It shouldn't take "infinity level" to get a TT helmet. C'mon. Add a few TT helmets and skinsuits at reasonable levels.

-It would be really freaking cool if somehow in the deep future a Zwift camera could see your position on the bike (road or TT) and infer a rough CdA. Cause, ain't no way in hell some of those folks are going to hold positions like the avatar show them in real life. They could for the TT bike leave it to the rider to use the skis and have the rider input their fit coordinates to get a rough but better CdA idea.

-I know there's lots of "ride with pros" options out there right now. But, I still feel pro bike teams in particular are losing out big time on a marketing and fanfare opportunity in Zwift. Rubber band the pro team workouts and group rides. I follow the pro team our company sponsors, even with the suggestion they've never done a Zwift group ride or workout despite posting tons of their riders doing Zwift right now in isolation. C'mon. Reminds me a bit of some of the F1 drivers refusing to ride online with people because "they don't know the game system well enough". Well, we've nothing to cheer right now, so give us something to cheer.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

-I know there's lots of "ride with pros" options out there right now. But, I still feel pro bike teams in particular are losing out big time on a marketing and fanfare opportunity in Zwift. Rubber band the pro team workouts and group rides. I follow the pro team our company sponsors, even with the suggestion they've never done a Zwift group ride or workout despite posting tons of their riders doing Zwift right now in isolation. C'mon. Reminds me a bit of some of the F1 drivers refusing to ride online with people because "they don't know the game system well enough". Well, we've nothing to cheer right now, so give us something to cheer.

We're not pros, but our tri team has tried to setup group rides on zwift to do just that, but haven't been successful. We have just been doing "meet ups" with whoever on our team wants to join as well as their friends. If anyone wants to ride with us, let us know!

Or if Dan would be up for letting us lead a slowtwitch ride or two we'd be up for that too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

We're not pros, but our tri team has tried to setup group rides on zwift to do just that, but haven't been successful. We have just been doing "meet ups" with whoever on our team wants to join as well as their friends. If anyone wants to ride with us, let us know!

Or if Dan would be up for letting us lead a slowtwitch ride or two we'd be up for that too!

i would be happy to have you lead some of our events. you'll want to talk to me, and to ryan, who's on the forum here. ryan takes the lead on our zwift calendar, with me back seat driving. you should either email or PM one of us.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the experience like on Zwift forvthose on dumb trainers ?

I've tried Zwift on a Wahoo but Ihave Tacx Blue Motion trainer ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats the turn around time for the under 16 account to be established. I registered for my little girl Monday and still waiting like prob everyone else in the world :D

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hollywood_USAF wrote:
whats the turn around time for the under 16 account to be established. I registered for my little girl Monday and still waiting like prob everyone else in the world :D

don't know anything about this. let me find out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Hollywood_USAF wrote:

don't know anything about this. let me find out.

Many thanks Sir
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Ask (or Tell) Me Anything Thread [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
What is the experience like on Zwift for those on dumb trainers ? I've tried Zwift on a Wahoo but I have Tacx Blue Motion trainer?

others can correct me if i'm wrong. obviously the experience gets better as the tech gets better. the absolute best experience i've had so far on zwift is on the Wahoo Kickr Bike. but that's top of the heap. i'm going to spend some time on both the Saris platform, and on the Tacx NEO Bike, which i just built up yesterday. and then i'll be prepared for some model-by-model shootouts.

below that - and by far the bulk of my experience - is just the typical smart trainer. you should be able to get those in the $700 to $800, and i believe, unless they're sold out, wahoo has a kickr refurb deal on right now in that price range. saris and wahoo, and elite, should all have deals of some sort in that price range if you nose around and are even a little patient.

dumb trainers, fine, assuming you don't max out the watts of the trainer. what you cannot do on that is to have zwift control the difficulty. you have to do that yourself, through gearing. in other words, you can't be riding along and all of a sudden it gets easier - without you changing gears - because the "road" on which you're riding begins to descend. what does happen, tho, is zwift senses the power you're producing, and if you make no change in your power then you'll speed up as the road pitches down.

what you'll need, tho, is a way to transmit your power to zwift. best way is via a power meter. but if you don't have a power meter on your bike, then there's the speed & cadence sensor. that's maybe $60, all in? that device makes a pretty good guess at your power, and that's what tells zwift what you're doing, which is translated to your avatar on zwift.

i have zero experience riding zwift on a dumb trainer. i suspect it's fine. much, much better than riding in front of reruns of the honeymooners.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea if/when Zwift running will show power on screen? It's frustrating to be running with a Stryd footpod, and have to have my Garmin 935 running in parallel to see power. I know that Zwift gets the data from the footpod because when the run is uploaded from Zwift to Strava and Training Peaks the power data is all in there. This has been a pretty highly requested feature on their forums, so I'm struggling to understand why it hasn't yet been added, as it seems ot be as simple as adding a data field on the screen (that already exists in cycling mode).
Last edited by: el gato: Mar 26, 20 9:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next