Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman VR Series
Quote | Reply
Just saw IRONMAN announce IRONMAN VR. Will be interesting to see what this looks like on April 1. Offering 70.3 World's slots could be an attraction for some.

THE IRONMAN GROUP LAUNCHES IRONMAN VR
- A NEW GLOBAL RACING SERIES -
AND THE IRONMAN VR PRO CHALLENGE
IRONMAN Virtual Racing Series and IRONMAN Virtual Club
will allow athletes to train, compete and stay connected with the close-knit athlete community around the world

The IRONMAN Group, a Wanda Sports Group company (Nasdaq: WSG), today announced that it will add the IRONMAN® Virtual Racing™ (VR™) Series to its portfolio, including the IRONMAN VR Pro Challenge that will debut on April 4 through the IRONMAN Now Page on Facebook Watch. The IRONMAN VR Series will be offered through the soon to be launched IRONMAN Virtual Club™, a web-based platform allowing athletes to train and compete from anywhere around the world at any time through the IRONMAN VR Series of weekly races and challenges.

“At the IRONMAN Group, our mission is to provide exceptional, life-changing race experiences for athletes of all levels from their first step to the finish line,” says Andrew Messick, President & CEO for The IRONMAN Group. “We believe that under extraordinary circumstances such as these, athletes should be able to maintain the structure and continuity that training and competition provides. The IRONMAN Virtual Club is an innovative digital platform that enables our athletes to continue training with purpose, remain connected to our community and provides an opportunity to compete through the IRONMAN VR Series.”

Athletes will compete in the traditional age-group categories and for select virtual races, will have the opportunity to earn qualifying slots to the 2020 IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship in Taupo, New Zealand scheduled to take place on November 28 and 29, 2020. Virtual races will begin on Fridays at 6 p.m. GMT and close Sundays at midnight GMT with the first competitive race, IRONMAN VR1, debuting on April 3. The format and distances may vary each race weekend. The IRONMAN Virtual Club platform will utilize connected devices and be compatible with most wearable technology and app trackers. Upon completion of a race, athletes will receive a finisher package including the collectible IRONMAN VR medal and finisher tees for that race. The IRONMAN Virtual Club will additionally provide an activity-based loyalty point system designed to motivate athletes as they train and reward them through merchandise, discounts and special benefits.

During each weekend of competition, there will also be a Women’s and Men’s IRONMAN VR Pro Challenge. Two professional female athletes will compete on Saturday and two professional male athletes will compete on Sunday for prize money. Anyone around the world will be able to tune-in to the head-to-head battles through the IRONMAN Now Page on Facebook Watch. The coverage will also follow the competing age-group athletes through User-Generated Content shared on the interactive platform, allowing athletes to see how they match up against fellow competitors through live look-ins and leaderboard updates. Additionally, every Monday at 6 p.m. following the race weekend, the IRONMAN VR Rolldown Show will provide the best action from the weekend and an interactive live awarding of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship qualifying slots. During the live coverage, the IRONMAN Foundation will also run Facebook fundraisers to provide support for our traditional host communities.

Full details and specifics regarding the IRONMAN VR Series and IRONMAN Virtual Club will be available at launch on April 1, 2020. For more information on the IRONMAN brand and global event series, visit www.ironman.com.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just look at their site and apparently this news slipped through QA....

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and we thought Zwift weight doping was bad.

I'll break out that Flux trainer and set my foot pod off about 2-3 mph and get a world challenge slot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's either an April Fools joke (April 1st launch date?) or they think they are ready to handle the digital cheating people know how to do on places like Zwift.

I wonder if they'll use Zwift as the platform instead of trying to recreate their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
It's either an April Fools joke (April 1st launch date?) or they think they are ready to handle the digital cheating people know how to do on places like Zwift.

I wonder if they'll use Zwift as the platform instead of trying to recreate their own.

Ironman can't get their live stream situation figured out, I wouldn't hold my breath about creating their own "Zwift"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Ironman can't get their live stream situation figured out, I wouldn't hold my breath about creating their own "Zwift"

USAT did a virtual try that pulled data from Strava/Garmin/etc., so WTC might do the same.

Cheating will be a real issue if there are things like world's slots at stake. Mostly on the run, since BT treadmills/Runn/TreadTracker don't actually know if you are on the 'mill or just chillin' on the couch as it runs.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will do it, but only with the zipper of my trisuit undone well below mid-torso. Stick it to the man!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

https://www.triathlete.com/...virtual-race-series/
Quote:
Ironman spokespeople did clarify, however, that the Ironman Virtual Club will be via Ironman’s own proprietary app and web-based platform, which they have been developing for some time but accelerated given the latest news. (It will not simply piggyback on existing virtual training platforms, but will compete with them.)

sounds like from the article it will be free to the virtual club (whatever that is) but there will be a fee for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a business it makes sense to move into the VR world. It's huge and Ironman could have all their races setup in VR. That is something all the other platforms have failed at. Everybody wants to ride the Ironman Bike courses online but can't. I can't see giving traditional slots out but I think a VR World Championship 70.3/140.6 race would be great to win slots too. I'm interested.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be clear, this is not Virtual REALITY, this is Virtual RACING. Pretty terrible choice to use the acronym if it's not actually VR, which it seems like it's not.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I don't understand it then. This video shows athletes on there trainers and treadmills.

https://www.facebook.com/...s/10163413605255551/

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's hope it's a few steps up in quality from their website redo

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well then I vote that those who gain a slot this way have vasa/bike trainers and treadmills set up in the transition area at Taupo!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if you don't have a Vasa machine, like 99.99% of us, and pools are closed, then how are they expecting people to virtual swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
And if you don't have a Vasa machine, like 99.99% of us, and pools are closed, then how are they expecting people to virtual swim?

Run up and down the driveway bent at the waist making crazy arm motions?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Well then I vote that those who gain a slot this way have vasa/bike trainers and treadmills set up in the transition area at Taupo!

This must be the dentist only division. Since they own treadmills, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like there will be different race scenarios - gps vs stationary for example. Doesn’t eliminate cheating, but may be able to control it better. A lot of these platforms have live video streaming as well, so if it was a stationary event you may need to do a weight in, and be monitored for the event for example to be eligible.

I’d say there will also be duathlons (like Busselton, Cork etc) as the swim component will be the hardest part with swim centres closing globally.

I’m excited, I love a good zwift race, it’s one of the more competitive things you can do. And while it would be nothing like doing a real 70.3 or Ironman, I applaud them for trying to fill a gap for many people.

Let’s see what they come out with before we tear this idea to shreds.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
hadukla wrote:

This must be the dentist only division. Since they own treadmills, right?

They already have a dentist division, it's called XC, but still, my poor ass will find a track to do my 13.1m

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [Sub12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub12 wrote:
It sounds like there will be different race scenarios - gps vs stationary for example. Doesn’t eliminate cheating, but may be able to control it better. A lot of these platforms have live video streaming as well, so if it was a stationary event you may need to do a weight in, and be monitored for the event for example to be eligible.

I’d say there will also be duathlons (like Busselton, Cork etc) as the swim component will be the hardest part with swim centres closing globally.

I’m excited, I love a good zwift race, it’s one of the more competitive things you can do. And while it would be nothing like doing a real 70.3 or Ironman, I applaud them for trying to fill a gap for many people.

Let’s see what they come out with before we tear this idea to shreds.

Agree. Maybe they’ll come up with some interesting take and push others like Zwift to make even more improvements
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

i wrote my own views on this. the more i thought about it, the more convinced i was that ironman is not creating a virtual platform like zwift or RGT or CVRcade. what ironman - my guess - is creating is going to be a lot more analogous to STRAVA. they'll need a virtual racing stationary platform for their head-to-head pro race, and it could be one of any, but it won't be zwift. my guess is rouvy. obviously that's a longshot call. but rouvy is always the platform perfect for this sort of thing. ironman should have partnered with rouvy a year ago.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Rouvey or any other platform than zwift have run capability?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [Sub12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub12 wrote:
Does Rouvey or any other platform than zwift have run capability?

there are plenty of run-specific platforms. running is WAY ahead of cycling and tri when it comes to virtual racing on actual courses. but, they're way BEHIND when it comes to multiplayer. afaik rouvy does not support the run. however, how hard would that be? you replace bike avatars with run avatars. done.

now, the problem with rouvy's platform - where zwift has it - is that the density of participants in-game is much thicker on zwift. you might think that the more routes wins. but the more routes means less density. more sparsity. so you need somebody with a big fat mailing list to aggregate its people on your course. like ironman.

i don't know what ironman is going to do about the run in a multiplayer stationary head-to-head contest.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know. You seem overly dismissive of the cheating element at the end of your article. I can calibrate my footpod so that I’m running a 6:30 pace (I’m 59), instead of a 7:00 pace, that’s more like my outdoor time for a 5k. No one is likely be calling me out later because of that difference. But that could be what allows me to take a slot to Worlds from someone else that was completely honest. Same on the bike with weight doping.

Zwift racing for amateurs is just for fun. So I don’t really care if someone cheats and beats me. I got a great workout and an exhilarating experience, so doesn’t matter. Once you add a “prize” like a slot to Worlds, it changes everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VR Series [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
I don’t know. You seem overly dismissive of the cheating element at the end of your article.

i am less bothered by the specter of cheating in an virtual race than you are. that's true.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
RallySavage wrote:
I don’t know. You seem overly dismissive of the cheating element at the end of your article.

i am less bothered by the specter of cheating in an virtual race than you are. that's true.

Understood, but I don’t understand why you are less bothered. I missed a slot to worlds by 7 seconds last year, 2 minutes the prior year. I could easily close that gap with some small changes to my weight or the calibration on my footpod.
Last edited by: RallySavage: Mar 21, 20 14:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next