Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
pandemic: has anyone just stopped training?
Quote | Reply
I know you're all studs who run 101/100, and each and every one of you live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. We get it.

But honestly … how many of us just kinda said "ah, screw it" and called it in over the last few days?

Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a professor in New York, so in the middle of a professional firestorm. I've reduced training to like a half hour per day, but I need it. I suppose my goals have shifted from increasing fitness to mental and physical wellbeing.

Not for nothing, I'm also feeling my quads and hamstrings tightening from the stress, and from sitting in front of a computer solving tech problems. Foam rolling and stretching are becoming more important.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was balls deep in my last build for Haines City 70.3 when shit started to hit the fan so now I'm kinda meandering through my workouts.

I'll probably take a nice long zone 2 solo ride tomorrow to clear my head and try to replan my season (which is damn hard when you have no idea which events will even happen).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm performing social distancing by running and riding away from people.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No changes for me. I just got back from 3 day Ironman training camp and I'm on a roll. Cancelled or not, I will keep training. I have some races that I want to place in my AG, so I've been hitting hard this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't stopped, but it's difficult to be motivated to continue my training for the April 5th Galveston HIM. It's only three weeks away and it's hard to imagine that it won't be cancelled or postponed...

I'm going to try to do my 60 mile bike ride followed by a 15min brick, but it won't be easy...

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was training for the last 6 months to peak in about 3 weeks for a race that likely will not happen. This is all just hitting me, so I'm interested in what other people will say. Cracking a few beers with my feet up seems like the next logical move.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D'Kid asked me yesterday if Broad Street Run was still happening [May 3 - 10M, 40K runners]

I said as far as I know it still is and training shall proceed as scheduled

https://www.broadstreetrun.com/coronavirus-update/

Should that change, we will adjust accordingly ... however, I will still need my Minimum Daily Endorphin Requirement to maintain good mental health

Endorphin Withdrawal is a terrible thing to experience, and horrible to watch

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No... But I pulled a back muscle a month ago which has set me back..

Also, doing my strength training at home now rather than gym and am concerned I will lose my pool soon which is at a University.

I am still trainer riding and run outside or TM when needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know...I think that it depends on why you do what you do...

I mean that a lot of us do this as much for our mental health as our physical health. So we need the escape and mental diversion even more now with the disappointments of not having that key race we had planned and trained to crush. Mental and physical bad habits can set in very quickly completely undoing the training that we have done towards both. All of our training has not been for nothing. We are much stronger now than we were when we started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, a bit more focused on performing well at my job with the economy sliding. But I am still fully focused on training and mainly shifting focus to late summer/fall races.

Training is my release. Skipping it entirely would just add more stress
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much. 2020 wasn’t exactly going as planned but working my way toward a slowish Oceanside, and now dialing it back a bit.

I do need to keep it up simply for mental health issues. I am surprised at the amount of anxiety this has caused, I am typically not like that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember a clip of Peter Reid from the 2001 Kona broadcast, talking about having no real interest in training after Sept 11 happened and it felt like there was so much crazy going on in the world, and me thinking "oh, Please … enough with the Drama, Peter." But I am definitely in that same place myself yesterday and today.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a mid summer IM I'm training for. Still training, hoping this corona thing is stabilized by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am/was getting ready for 70.3 Galveston which I'm fairly confident won't happen in April now, but the only thing I'll be cutting back on is going to the pool to avoid the crowds. My workouts are like meditation so racing or not, I'm getting that workout in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this in a blog post by Gordo Byrn yesterday: "Something simple, but not easy, for readers of this blog => cut your training in half. Take your program, cut it in half and watch what happens with the infection rate in your state. If your state is on a log-scale infection rate then it will become apparent far more quickly than any fitness loss.Your immunity will get a boost from this change and you’ll preserve all the health benefits from exercise."

I think my overall life stress load is lower than Gordo's and starting tomorrow I will basically be self quarantined with my wife, who will also be working from home, so I don't think, at this point at least, that I need to cut my current modest training load that much.

I'm currently planning to reduce my current training load by about 20% while I'm working at home as requested by my employer by eliminating swimming and my short bike commute. I'll increase my running from 30 to 40 mpw, all at a moderate pace. I'l cut that training in half one week a month, as I normally do. I haven't had any illness in about a year, so I don't think I've been "on the edge" regarding my training load. I think I will get better and more sleep working from home.

Training is definitely my preferred method to deal with mental stress so it's going to be somewhat difficult keeping the balance to make sure I stay healthy.

Thankful to be able to discuss these concerns with the ST tribe!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 13, 20 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [claude_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be really interesting to see how the pros respond. Looking forward to Eric L and Lionel as well as others comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
No, I'm performing social distancing by running and riding away from people.

Agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training more, for sure.

The POOL is freaking near-empty for once, and my work volume has decreased, so I have more time and room time hammer it over noon, which is great. Not to say this virus is great, but for the younger folks in health, the pool is a good place now. I also suspect the pool is less of a venue to spread the virus due to the chlorine; I've stopped using the gym TMs and bikes and weights not as much of worry as myself getting sick, but in the case that I do pick it up and become an asymptomatic carrier. Not worth risking it given that the bulk of people at my YMCA are 60+.

Running and biking outdoors has also become easier with the easier schedule and less traffic.

I'm actually going to get spoiled from this population density decrease...but I still hope it all goes back to normal soon without too much sickness in the community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I had some forced downtime due to an ingrown toenail being removed earlier this week so kind of had a 14 day ban from the pool anyways.

As far as riding and running I don't see myself stopping. It helps me maintain a level of sanity and clear my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been an interesting training week - a recovery week in the plan for Ironman 70.3 Florida, so it was not relative to what's happening in the world.

Came at a good time, though, for many reasons, but this weekend the volume picks back up, and the plan is to stick with the training plan as if the race will still happen.

If/when it is cancelled, will probably revert back to a pre-season strength/speed focus with moderate volume and re-assess based on how the race schedule shakes out.

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my end of season masters swim meet for tomorrow and next weekend was cancelled and I had been in taper mode last 10 days. Was out of sorts for a few days, then switched over to my run/bike build, which I typically do annually after March swim meet, with it getting warmer in MA and with daylight savings time. May look to do a 10k run if there are any that will still be held. Otherwise it’s road biking and running now.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking an easy week before a half marathon on Sunday which is still going ahead. Might be the last race I get to do for a while.

Today was a very good day to recieve my brand new Vasa Erg in the post. :-) Self isolating by working from home for 2 weeks is looking good!

I know you're a keen Vasa swimmer, any advice for the first few sessions to get going?

Tubs
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
Taking an easy week before a half marathon on Sunday which is still going ahead. Might be the last race I get to do for a while.

Today was a very good day to recieve my brand new Vasa Erg in the post. :-) Self isolating by working from home for 2 weeks is looking good!

I know you're a keen Vasa swimmer, any advice for the first few sessions to get going?

Tubs

Congrats - it's a great tool!

Take it EASY when you start. It's kinda like using paddles right away - that plus the added muscle motion of keeping your arms up in the air will fatigue and strain them quick, so it's easy to overdo it when you start. I'd guesstimate it took me 2 months before I could do 'actual' swim workouts on it that I felt were of decent intensity. Your 1st week will be a lot weaker than you will be just because there are some weird shoulder muscles that have to acclimate to the gravity.

I'd also recommend using your phone to self video yourself once you feel like you're doing actual workouts with it, just to make sure your vasa form looks good, and not too crazy.

And remember that it's still no magic bullet for swim improvement. If you're the typical AOS for whom swim improvement comes hard, requiring a lot of pool time and a lot of pool effort, it will require that much work at least on the Vasa. And there are definitely lots of technical swim factors that you cannot capture on a Vasa, so try not to avoid the pool too much unless you have been already a very proficient swimmer.

But definitely enjoy the stress relief from knowing that if it's impossible to get to the pool for 1,2, or even 4 weeks (happens with pool closures), the Vasa will keep you in form, and you could even improve if you're willing to suffer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next