Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whelp... I ended this year at 56/100, 261st place, and 287 miles. Fittingly that puts me one ahead of our esteemed cardiologist (dtoce), and just a couple places back from Monty. Not quite the challenge I'd hoped for.... But, hey! I'm still here...and will be ready for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my third year doing 100 in 100. I found this year to be more enjoyable but it may be because Paul and I moved last year to New Mexico. We signed up for a local trail race series which had races in December, January, and February. Each month the distance increased. Although I never won a race outright (2nd, 2nd, 3rd) I was first female in the series. Sometimes its just showing up. 100 in 100 kept both Paul and I in good running shape so when we took a trip to Southern N.M. we could run some fabulous trails together. I appreciate the motivation that this challenge gave me. Already signed up for a 50k in April. Congratulations to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6hr and 36miles so far. Starting to be difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Achieved 7hrs and 41 miles! Couldn't have done that without the consistent training over the last 100 days. I hope everyone else achieves their goals.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said, and well done.
Congrats to all who made the challenge their own. Whether you finished, used this as motivation, or died trying. ;-)
I got one run left.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Heidelfix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heidelfix, I'm sorry you haven't seen the progress you wished for during the challenge. I applaud you for your determination, and really hope that do are able to find a way to return to running. All that accessory stuff really does help, and your post is a good reminder to me that I've been quite lax about that myself. I do strength work 4 x week, but I can't remember the last time I gave my foam roller some love, or even rolled my feet while sitting on the couch.

Congrats to everyone who gave this a whack, no matter where you ended up overall - if you're not happy with the results, know that you'll have another chance to better them next year!

Was kind of nice that for my final run today it came up unseasonably warm. At 17c, it felt great to run in a skirt for the first time since October! It also seemed fitting that I finished off the challenge with a lunch run from my office, on a regular route - to me, the 100 in 100 is about the habitual running you ingrain, not necessarily any one particular effort.

So, this one goes to eleven...squared. 121 for 100 puts me precisely 1 run up on last year, I think with fewer days off work. My personal rules for the challenge were minimum of 5k per run even if I reached 30mins first, and run twice every day I didn't go to the office (well, except that one day I ran a 6-hour, and one other day that I DNF'd a race due to some weird knee pain that went away while continuing to run over the next few days). I took every Friday off except one (when I was off work over Christmas), and only ran more than twice in a day once (a triple yesterday just because I'd decided I wanted eleven squared).

Good game all - high fives and fist bumps all 'round!

Quote | Reply
Great challenge all. First year for me and I got a lot out of it. Ran 175 miles the first 50 days and 233 miles the second half to finish with 105 runs and 408 miles. Saw a steady improvement, easy pace at start was around 8:30 pace and was 7:40 pace by the end. I tried to keep HR under 130 on the easy runs to gauge improvement. Wouldn't of had the consistency without the challenge, now the idea of not running 7+ times a week is hard to comprehend.

Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
My Dad who always checks in on my plans and makes sure I don’t do anything stupid.

i need to have a talk with your dad.

bluestacks867 wrote:
Thank you everyone and I am looking forward to reading more final recaps - add details!

okay. so you tapped out at 550 runs. yes? this was your total?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job everyone! Thanks for the motivation.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
synthetic wrote:
This challenge should be, challenging. So for myself I dialed in a manageable sub goal. Would be great if others announced their sub goals too

Qualitative sub-goals for me:
a) stay healthy / recover from existing niggles
b) make running doubles a regular part of my training

Quantitative sub-goals:
1) 130/100 (2 doubles a week if I run every day, or 3 if I take a day off)
2) 800+ miles
3) ~20 workouts
4) sub-1:15 half marathon (goal race: New Bedford 3/15/2020)

Despite some strong marathon cycles with plenty of mileage, I've never actually done the base goal of 100/100 -- closest was around 95/100 in training for Baystate 2018, where I averaged 66 miles/week for 12 weeks and did a number of doubles. Hoping that emphasizing frequency first and volume second makes me a bit more resilient; I think I've responded well to shorter runs and more doubles in the past, but this challenge is the kick I need to go for it for real!

Well, this was a great challenge, congrats to all who participated! Reviewing my own goals:

a) Success - ran unstructured most of December and was feeling mostly recovered from post-marathon foot niggles from then on. Knock on wood, have been pretty healthy since.
b) Moderately successful - especially in terms of incorporating double-run-commute days into training.

1) Didn't quite make this, ended at 124/100, with runs on 99/100 days and 25 doubles. Running mostly singles during 4 weeks of travel made it hard to catch up during the remainder, and bike-run brick days on Sundays just appealed more a lot of weeks than run-wait-run doubles. Far and away the best block of 14 weeks I've had in terms of run frequency.
2) Smoked this one. Finished with 957 miles (not all counted because warmup and cooldown runs for track workouts are <3 miles). Also the best block I've ever had in terms of sustained distance -- especially with bagging upwards of 250 miles in the last 3 weeks of the challenge.
3) 3 low-key workouts in December, 7 in January, 8 in February, and 2 in March make 20 total. Really good intensity in the last few weeks of the challenge.

4) We'll see how this weekend goes. Legs have been a little heavy lately and I don't know that I've been quite where I need to be in workouts to hit a 1:15 half, but with a little cutback this week, it could definitely happen!

Also, not part of the challenge, but this running was all outdoors or on indoor track (i.e., no treadmill miles!), and involved 48,000 feet of climbing, so I guess that's 9 extra vertical miles ;). Boston winter was mercifully mild and dry, and 4 weeks of travel to warmer places made for some great additional runs.

Overall, 100/100 was supposed to be a base for spring racing: New Bedford half, Cherry Blossom 10 miler and Boston marathon, but I'm pretty sure the last two will not happen due to Covid-19. I signed up for a small 50k the first weekend of April to hedge my bets. I enjoyed the process regardless of how it translates into races, and will be keen on doing it again next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it, 101 runs in a 100 days. I was a fair bit behind at the end of January following less than ideal conditions for physical activity in my parts of the world (smoke haze from bushfires) but managed to finish strong in the last month of the challenge, catching up on all my missed runs of December/January. 12 runs in the last 7 days too and no issues.

I've been injury free the whole time (which is amazing for me, and especially after not running much in the last 20 years), incredible how running easy and often makes you stronger (and faster too)!! I had to deal with tight calves and achilles in the first two months every 10 days or so, but since mid-February nothing at all.

Well done to all and thanks for putting this challenge up and motivating all of us to challenge ourselves everyday. Plan on keeping it up now.

Oh, and lost almost 7kgs in the process!
Last edited by: Diabolo: Mar 9, 20 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a wrap! Rolled straight from 100 runs in 95 days into an IM plan that brought my total up to 104. After resting my legs a bit over the next couple days I plan to do to three short test-runs:

1) Running the route I ran on day 2 at the same pace as then to see how much lower my HR is.
2) Running that route at the same HR as I did back on 12/2 to see how much faster I run.
3) Local neighborhood 5K lap that I used several times during the challenge. I went from 8:30 mile to 7:50 miles over the first half of the challenge. Curious to see how fast I can go now - I'm a slow enough runner that running a sub-23 5K would be really,really fast by my standards.

I'll check in once I've done those runs.

I had a few goals for the challenge, in order of importance:

1) Run every day, no excuses, stay healthy I accomplished this. Dragged myself out of bed or headed out at bedtime as needed. Ran in an airport. Ran in oppressive heat while traveling for work. Got it done. Ran a 1/4 mile loop in my neighborhood 16 times one bitter cold, snowy night when I didn't want to venture to far.

2) Average 4 miles per run. hmm...I averaged just under 4 miles per run, but just over 4 miles per day because i had a few doubles. We'll call that pretty successful, though not perfect.

3) Run every run outside. Nope. Not close. Returned to sub-zero temps after a couple weeks in oppressive heat and found the treadmill. Probably relied on it a bit too much between about Run 55 and 90, using it ~1/2 the time. On the other hand it gave me a chance to really focus on intervals and speed work instead of ice and snow.

4) Improve my running fitness (my triathlon weakness by a long shot). Achieved, a lot! Kinda convinced myself that I don't have to be a dead-slow runner my whole life. Even approaching 50 y.o. I gained a lot of speed during this challenge. My sort of natural pace is about 30-45 seconds faster than when I started. As I said above, curious what I'll do in a semi-rested 5K time trial.

5) Do all of this and remain married. Success! She's a keeper.

Pretty inspiring to see everyone getting out there every day, especially you speed freaks and those that put in mileage far above and beyond the challenge. Almost makes me want to try 365 / 365.... Almost :).

(Also, I quit drinking 1/2 way through this challenge. It was time)

Thanks, everyone. Good times!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in the books now, too. My goal was 90+ runs, but I ran a double today to hit 100 even. Nice job, everyone! It’s been really motivating to have the challenge and participate with all of you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Joe Public] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I did not even sign up for the 100x100 in as in 2018 I injured myself on day 98 during run 99 and ended up not running for 2 weeks. And missed the 100 by one run.

This year I also planned to not partake but very late in the game I realized with all my training that I would be close. I had qualified in June of 2019 for the 2020 Boston Marathon and I really wanted to prep for that, plus I had also signed up for a 50 mile trail race in AZ (coming up this weekend), plus a 12 hour trail race in June, plus a bunch of other races. And in the last months I raced a 25k and a 20k race and did well in both of them. Actually in that tough and hilly Pilot Mountain 20k I grabbed 2nd place overall. :-)

But all together I train a bunch, usually at least 16 hours, and as much as 22, and I am lighter than I have been in a long time and am feeling great.

So I did not really use it as a challenge, but more so a late start measurement / comparison, and in the end had 117 runs and ran a total of 841.21 miles. Could have likely squeezed in a couple more runs over the last few days, but with my focus now on the Antelope Canyon 50 miler in Page, AZ, I did not want to possible burn a match too many or even injure myself just to rank higher in the challenge. And 117 is plenty.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was cool, more runs than I have done combined since 2017. 41 hours and 9 minutes, 230.5 miles, and I took 1:48 off my mile time. Shoulder surgery in 2018, a year retired now, at altitude, and I've got the bug again, not just for running, as I was burnt out the last week. Triathlon training starts next! Thanks to Eric, Paula and Lionel for the vlogs, Sundays and Mondays were definitely my favorite days on the treadmill. I'm in for next year and happy to be ready to go and train more this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing job by Bluestacks (absolutely crazy awesome!!!) ... and amazing job by the rest of you too!

This was my second year. This year coming off of IMAZ, had a foot injury that cut into December runs. The foot is now good, but at the ripe young age of 60, wanted to make sure I didn't cause some other issue. Totaled out at 75 runs today, and pretty happy with that number. Great way to start the tear, and will work at making 100 again next year.

Again, congrats to everyone for pushing themselves, and thanks to all for a good fun challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my 4th or 5th time doing the Challenge & the worst yet but still a great thing. I had foot issues & missed 30 days of running but still managed 95 runs & 548 miles. It's all about dealing with what you are dealt with at the time. My foot flared up again the same day that Tom got his diagnosis. It's all relative. One never knows!

It's been fun following everyone's journey & the different reasons for joining the Challenge. For me, any day outside is a good day so I run in anything & the Challenge certainly encourages that. I am in the same part of the world as Mistressk & although it's been a fairly mild winter we have had out share of snow dumps. It was great to connect with Mistressk at 2 local snowshoe runs.

Thanks to everyone for their part in this. It's an annual thing for me, body willing! Happy, healthy running until next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the 100 runs in under 5k/min challenge the results are in. Jmaley and danstu both dropped paces last minute but still tied. Since Dan had more mileage... he is the top gun, as usual. Lots of late comers came into this group too as the list grew. Congrats for the last min efforts to join in. I would like to see updates of people who used this challenge for their race goals (ex: bluestacks and his ultra, etc). Notable congrats to Tomhampton and Qsk8, whose efforts were probably harder than this challenge I set up

danstu4 4:08/km
jmaley 4:08/km
Sbernardi 4:15/km
rmg 4:30/km
PomDad 4:32/km
JiffyRob 4:36/km
twcronin 4:38/km
Bass 4:39/km
synthetic 4:40/km
PMo 4:40/km
mstewarttri 4:40/km
snny 4:42/km
wgmorrisiii 4:42/km
msrixon 4:43/km
ADabs 4:44/km
Anton84 4:45/km
qintegral 4:46/km
Tony.White 4:46/km
Joe Public 4:47/km
triczyk 4:49/km
msprang 4:49/km
jtplaysdrums 4:52/km
ogdnut 4:52/km
wjoiner 4:55/km
plant_based 4:55/km
Ktri 4:56/km
oprfcc 4:56/km
LKtriMom 4:56/km
mlawless 4:57/km
five8five 4:57/km
ihersey 4:57/km
jasonshock 4:58/km
DGTri 4:58/km
fatman 4:59/km
Doru 4:59/km
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 10, 20 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
For the 100 runs in under 5k/min challenge the results are in. Jmaley and danstu both dropped paces last minute but still tied. Since Dan had more mileage... he is the top gun, as usual. Lots of late comers came into this group too as the list grew. Congrats for the last min efforts to join in. I would like to see updates of people who used this challenge for their race goals (ex: bluestacks and his ultra, etc). Notable congrats to Tomhampton and Qsk8, whose efforts were probably harder than this challenge I set up

Thanks for the update Synthetic. Doing my first marathon on May 31st (Calgary).. targeting around low 2:50s. Have been doing 70.3s the last 2 years and my run fitness was really just along for the ride, never put in much volume, so this challenge was a huge motivator to get increase my mileage early. Thanks! I'll be sure to update.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstewarttri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Thanks for the update Synthetic. Doing my first marathon on May 31st (Calgary).. targeting around low 2:50s. Have been doing 70.3s the last 2 years and my run fitness was really just along for the ride, never put in much volume, so this challenge was a huge motivator to get increase my mileage early. Thanks! I'll be sure to update.

Yes, I’m also doing my first marathon on 3/15 - 2:57 goal. Not sure what’s going to happen but feel pretty strong.

I wouldn’t have signed up for the 26.2 if it wasn’t for the 100/100. After a few weeks of running, a local marathon runner asked if I wanted to pace with him on 3/15 so said yes.

It has definitely been a journey for me. Part of the run motivation was also to improve my 70.3 run split to try to get to 70.3 WC in Utah.

The 100/100 ending yesterday was perfect timing for me and the race on Sunday. I was satisfied with my count and went on my last long effort before the race on the bike. I went on a beautiful metric century ride. Now I’m going to try to taper this week and then will see what happens on Sunday! :)

Edit: also last week was very productive for me and focused on speedwork. It was my fastest week on record: 46.8 mi @ 6:20 pace (75.3km @ 3:56). Some of that is 800s that isn’t included in the 100/100. I was trying to get comfortable at a pace under race pace and had a successful training week in getting high speed/cadence workouts in without injury.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Mar 10, 20 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on an amazing feat of consistency, endurance and toughness. Hats off to you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
          Pretty new to the endurance community(2 years of running)and will be hoping to run some triathlons this year.Found <<SlowTwitch>> sight in Jan and spotted this challenge. I was already ramping up to run Boston in April so figured I'd come along for the ride,knowing full well I would not be running 100 days in a row.As an older runner (55) I have found my rest days to be as important as my run days and since I would still be running 70-80 times it would be worthwhile to be a part of this challenge.

The wrinkle for me was that I had just started biking in late Dec.for the very first time and would be trying to incorporate bike workouts in with my run workouts.Running would still take priority so if my key running workouts began to suffer I would cut back on the biking.So how did it go?

Ended up with 78 runs and 885 miles or 11.3 miles per run and 62 miles per week.Pretty much in line with previous buildups.Biking didn't really start until Jan.1st so just 69 days were included but did manage to get in 28 days for 887 miles(+39,000ft elev,@187W.Avg pwr).The part that really surprised me was that contrary to most everything I have read, I felt biking was actually helping my running and most days I could not wait to get on the bike and spin!

One of the things I enjoyed most about the challenge was checking other runners workout logs and seeing how they trained.It is always good to see how more experienced athletes structure their workouts.It was extra nice when people included notes about their runs.

Thank You Dan"Slowman"Empfield for putting this challenge together.

Congratulations to all that participated I look forward to following and maybe someday meeting some of you at some future events!!

David
Quote Reply

Prev Next