Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
For Tom:

:=)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for asking. I haven´t yet made up my mind about what I think about the challenge or my performance in it. Haven´t really analyzed the whole development either, so I just sum up how things appear to me right now.

At the end of the (hundred) day(s) I didn´t even come close to what I had hoped for in the beginning: No "return to running" at this point, still stuck at the 30-second-intervalls. Of cause, doing an increasing number of those for 100 days changed things (even if I let it slip down in the second half to a 90% attendance), but I am not even sure my gait or my orthopedic health has changed for the better. In fact I suspect the (altered) gait I started with caused the new problem - that is knee-pain - I ran into.

But perhaps the (after all: little) running I did has not caused that, but rather the absence of all the accessory work I intended to do and very rarely did: hopping, stretching, excentric strengthening, losing weight etc.etc. Nope, didn´t do any of it.

Therefore, in the second half of the challenge I was a bit frustrated and lost some motivation, so I did not make up for lost runs and days (caused by all sorts of things, pain, ski-holidays, stress at work ... ), although that would have been possible if I had really wanted to. I started to question my motivation: Why was I doing this challenge , was it a means to an end or a goal in itself? All the stuff you shouldn´t be asking yourself while in it. Or maybe you should?

However, I will not stop to walk-run now, but rather reduce it - and I should really do all the accessory rehab-stuff I have neglected so badly.

Today, sunday morning, I had a longer walk-run and I enjoyed it immensely. I would love so much to be able to run again and I will continue to pursue that goal, but I will have to find a different path to reach it.

Maybe I will write some more if I have any other or better insights. For now I want to thank again those who organize the challenge and the ST-members who are a kind, benevolent and encouraging group, among them some very, very impressive and inspiring human beings.

That awesome athletes like you (and bluestack) care about back-of-the-back-of-the-pack-people ist truly special in the social-media-realm. So, thank you all!
Last edited by: Heidelfix: Mar 8, 20 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Nice job bluestacks!!!

congrats onto entry into sub 5 club.

i cant wait till tuesday. a nice 5k/min+ run or bike. and just in time, rain-mageddon will start that day. Hope I can stay under 4:40 for tomorrow
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Survived a -16 degree day up here in Calgary to get my 100th run in... May or may not run on the last day tomorrow. Getting a nice massage today!

Certainly enjoyed the challenge and have my first marathon in about 10 weeks. This was a great way to get my km's up prior to and at the start of my training block, all while still biking and swimming.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am back to 99 for 99. Today was a duathlon workout....6km running + 20km XC skiing + 6 km running.

Last year this time I had just done my first continguous 30 min outdoor jog in 4 years, now I can say that I can run (albeit slowly) any day I want for around 50 minutes and its not a problem.

For this challenge I generally chose to do running as my first workout of the day to do it on the freshest legs. I did a lot of swimming, some XC skiing and some biking ... roughly 235 hrs of training over the 100 days. No long runs other than surviving the half marathon at the Dubai 70.3. One more run to go. I lost around 4-5 lbs during the back half of the challenge. I am around 5 lbs of triathlon race weight now. Was around 10 lbs over my tri race weight from 5 years ago at the start.

Treadmill at hotel tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey, I am back to 99 for 99. Today was a duathlon workout....6km running + 20km XC skiing + 6 km running.

Last year this time I had just done my first continguous 30 min outdoor jog in 4 years, now I can say that I can run (albeit slowly) any day I want for around 50 minutes and its not a problem.

For this challenge I generally chose to do running as my first workout of the day to do it on the freshest legs. I did a lot of swimming, some XC skiing and some biking ... roughly 235 hrs of training over the 100 days. No long runs other than surviving the half marathon at the Dubai 70.3. One more run to go. I lost around 4-5 lbs during the back half of the challenge. I am around 5 lbs of triathlon race weight now. Was around 10 lbs over my tri race weight from 5 years ago at the start.

i'm proud of you, man. great, great comeback.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
plant_based wrote:
Nice job bluestacks!!!

congrats onto entry into sub 5 club.

Thanks bro! I have a marathon in a week and by some miracle I haven’t injured myself yet. It has been a great 100/100 challenge for me. I’ve never been this consistent in run training.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Congrats Dev. Quite a nice year of rebuilding. I see you are pretty much all the way back, especially with that 4:51xx 11AG finish over in Dubai. Well done, sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that’s pretty darn impressive. You are the comeback kid. Now, let’s hope things just get better from here on out!

Amazing job.

Greetings from Germany
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This challenge was exactly what I needed this year to challenge myself physically and mentally. The tactics I learned to physically treat and mentally cope are invaluable as I transition to my future goals as an ultra runner.

I want to thank dev for creating this challenge - also his inspiring posts and path to recovery from his accident. Slowman for continuing to support the challenge and creating this website that gives me valuable advice. Eric for creating the training log that syncs with Strava - as well as his continued maintenance and enhancements.

d03b's early motivation and inspiring recovery from planar fasciitis. plant-based giving me the final straw of confidence to sign up for a 100 miler. monty for his continued support - I read stories about this guy's past and that is the type of athlete I want to be. misstress is the definition of HTFU - incredible. qintegral's volume but with speed too - doing legit workouts all year with no easy buckets and running marathons the way that I would like to one day. Tom's inspiring rehab and smoking young guns at 5ks. jane taking the time to reach out to me personally when I wasn't doing so well really meant a lot.

jane, heidelfix, dreamchaser, flychris, edbikebabe and karlaj for support and their motivating updates.

herbert, dtoce, ianpeace, SJK, tubs, hersey, diablo, mstewart, randmart, beston, dmac, bass, joe, dabs for their stories and updates.

tcronin, jgill, TriRugby, nsarris, PaulDavis, philip, trickzy, brewtal, cup, nigel, snoots, synthetic, coyote, bscat, TriStart and anyone else I am missing. It's a small community and I enjoy reading every post.

My friend Damian who is like one of two people I talk about running with.

My Mom who must have messaged me 10 times throughout the day yesterday to make sure I was okay. My Dad who always checks in on my plans and makes sure I don’t do anything stupid.

And my wife, who reads here, she gave me the green light to go big this year. After going big she gave me the green light to pile on and finish the back half strong even with her evening work hours expanding, homeschooling our kids, and keeping our house from falling apart.
Thank you everyone and I am looking forward to reading more final recaps - add details!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and major applause Bluestacks!!

Much rest and celebration ahead I hope! If you chronicled this in summary in some kind of article/post I'd read the heck out of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I just finished the challenge. I want to thank everyone for making this once again a great event.
And just everyone knows, my totals are incorrect at the moment. I should only have, according to my calculations, 125 runs (not the 132 listed at the moment). I have already contacted Eric about the issue.

Stay healthy everyone!

Update: Eric says that during the syncing process, some my runs got duplicated. I'm going out for one more run today; the weather is simply too beautiful not to :-)

Update to the update: I have found the duplicate runs and deleted them. The number is now correct: 126.
Once again the Challenge made me both fitter, healthier, and the metal challenge of running everyday outside in the elements toughens one up. It was awesome--thanks again!!!

I can't wait until next year.
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Mar 9, 20 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't quite get to 100. Saturday was run #88 on day 98. I'm about to go for 89. Saturdays run was a 30' threshold run test. New threshold 6:26/mile down from 6:50. I still have work to do but the plan to work on my weakest discipline seems to be coming together. Plus my coach has put in just enough biking to even bump the ftp a little this winter.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a wrap for me! Started late and after 15 days I had 7 runs. I was hoping to get to 70 runs, but in the remaining 85 days I managed 84 runs. One day I was sick (just did a very slow 2k run to keep the run streak). 91 runs and a gold medal!
Did I improve? In early December I ran a 5k in a parkrun where I went as fast as I could. I managed 24:43. Disappointing, I did the first 5k in 70.3 last September at about that pace, and my Strava PR was 22:33, ran during a sprint+ tri last summer. My running really improved since December, so on this 100th day I thought I'd give it a go and see how fast I can run a 5k now. I managed 21:02! Sub 20 here I come!
Thanks for putting this up, the consistency of running really has made a big improvement for me.
Last edited by: TriStart: Mar 9, 20 2:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 100! Good luck everyone attempting to squeeze in the last bit.
1st be, 6.2m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

i'm proud of you, man. great, great comeback.

Well it has been a 465 day process. Last year when I spoke with you I had pretty well given up on running and doing triathlon and enjoying my life as a master swimmer (albeit a slow one) and learning how to do all 4 strokes well. I can say that today when I go to most pools anywhere, people will assume I am a swimmer, not a runner.

Last year was 100 days of pure rehab. It was actually torture doing so many runs that were more like 10x1-2 min shuffling and maxing out at 8 kph (which was an achievement) and then building to 15x2min on treadmill....then 6x5 then going outdoors for 1x30 min with no breaks.

This year was more like 100 days of physio exercise. There is still a big "tug" in my left leg almost like the start of a soccer player getting an uncontrollable cramp, but I can get is straightened out by the next stride. Over the challenge I have been able to apply more and more power with that leg and my XC skiing has gotten better too (same tug, but with a ski hanging off my leg) and my swimming breast stroke has gotten better. I am now able to do a bit of "speed" in each workout which in loose terms means revving it up to around 4:20 pace per km doing strides or up to 13.5 kph for 30 min bursts on the treadmill. Mainly most of my running has been 5:30 to 6:30 per km pace which is a good "steady" cardio pace. In Dubai 70.3 I ran my first half at 5:3x per km (after overcooking the bike knowing my run would suck) but second half I was back to bring it down to 5:0x and ran a true negative split. It felt like "racing" even though I was getting passed by 100's of young people who I outswam-outbiked.

In any case it was nice to be a customer of the challenge and use it for personal betterment. When I used to run the challenge, I used to get satisfaction of watching people get introduced to frequent running and how it can be so liberating. When I ran track in high school, it was three morning sessions and 5 afternoon sessions per week and a run on saturday on top of playing a few soccer games and two practices in the city league. I did not realize I was already running 10-12 times per week and it just seemed natural and like no big deal (maybe like those fish swimmers who I envy who were swimming 12x per week who always smoke us now).

I just started run commuting last week because I was 4 runs behind on the challenge and then I was kicking myself in the head for being so lazy and using my car for several days in the winter, when I could have easily been logging doubles with no impact on my daily schedule.

I am hoping by next year, I am running not for rehab or physio but for pure fitness (I guess at that point, I'll get overexcited and get injured LOL).

One treadmill run left.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead on running by myself yesterday, D'Wife & I went for a nice bike ride, and with volleyball tonight, I am done

75/100 is an improvement of exactly TWO vs. last year's challenge, but 11 less than my all-time best [86/100 - 2018 Screaming Tortise Endless Summer 100/100, which included a 71 day streak of 5K per day or more]

Yes, I'll be doing an Endless Summer 100/100 this year [starting Memorial Day weekend] so keep an eye out for bibs for that one, as well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well couldnt crack 4:40 today on day 100 - it is ok, as on the final day I almost couldnt run! Got food poisoning last night, luckily recovered for the morning, just enough to do 10km , needed to do 12+.

I stuck to 4:40 as I have 2 half marathons to be a pacer for at that pace. So I tried to make it as natural as possible, while keeping mileage low (100k a week past month). Will give time for people to log runs and update the sub 5k/min chart tomorrow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Well, I just finished the challenge. I want to thank everyone for making this once again a great event.
And just everyone knows, my totals are incorrect at the moment. I should only have, according to my calculations, 124 runs (not the 132 listed at the moment). I have already contacted Eric about the issue. I think some of my other workouts, although not listed as “runs,” somehow got in.

Stay healthy everyone!

Hello, all you awesome and inspiring 100/100 runners! I have indeed identified a situation where Strava sync is creating duplicate log records. I think I know where it's going wrong, and in the next few days I'll be working on a fix and, where possible, removing the duplicated records. I'll message users who have updated one of the duplicated records so they can make a decision on their own about which is the correct one. In the meantime, please try to make sure you don't click the strava sync button again until it comes back from syncing the first time :)

Thank you all and congratulations again for your efforts. It's been an amazing 100/100.

Best,

-Eric
Quote Reply

Prev Next