Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled
Quote | Reply
Thought it might be useful for our community to keep a running tally of major endurance events held and cancelled. The adjective “major” I’ll leave to individual STers to define. I’ll start:

Held: LA Marathon

Cancelled: Sea Otter

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marathons will probably all occur because there's no stopping people from just gathering and running.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really curious if NYC Half is cancelled next week. It will be a good indicator of the mindset of officials as Boston approaches.

On the one hand, NYC has started to see the virus spread. A lot of major employers are activating emergency plans. Small businesses are seeing the result of lower traffic. Politicians easily could lash out at a frivolous running race as a way of showing they are taking action (see Sandy).

On the other, millions of people ride public transportation, congregate in public spaces, and live and work together daily. Creating a sense of hysteria may do serious damage to the city. Perhaps that will moderate the behavior of politicians.

I’m not a public health official, but my concern for Boston, and to a lesser extent the NYC Half, is that these destination events serve as a source for import/export of the virus to other distant places. Someone could argue we don’t need to be spreading the disease as a result of a running race.

For triathlon, the numbers involved are much smaller, so the cause for concern should be accordingly lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Sea Otter was cancelled because the festival was such a large part of it and that involves large amounts of people interacting. Races themselves, involves mainly healthy people (Some may be sick and asymptomatic) but during the race there is minimal human interaction. If anything I think they could offer refunds for those who are sick as a bunch of people of getting refunds would be better for them than a cancellation.

I think you'll see events that are expo/festival forward cancel but other races including triathlons go forward with precautions. Assuming there aren't any significant travel bans in place of course. IM NZ went off this weekend without any issues as should most of the other IM races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sun Multisport Events- RaceMania in Boston is currently scheduled to go ahead.
Thanks for registering to attend next Sunday's RACE-MANIA Summit and Expo. Understandably, the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) has raised concerns and I've received a few emails asking about the status of the event so I wanted to provide this update.
As of now, RACE-MANIA remains on schedule to go as planned next Sunday. However, all, none or some of the event could potentially be altered depending on how things evolve. I’m monitoring the situation closely and if there are changes they will be communicated as quickly as possible.
Our move forward plan includes a list of precautionary measures we’ll want all those coming to the event to follow as well as steps BU and the Sun Multisport team will be taking to help protect all involved against exposure to the virus. I will communicate this plan via email, our website and social media next week.

Thanks again for your support of the event and understanding the fluidity of the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not major, but the coronavirus did not deter my town from holding a beer mile yesterday. I was in charge of timing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancelled: Sea Otter

Officially Sea Otter is postponed, for now - with an Announcement to come next week about further news, and a possible future date. I confirmed with them about 3 weeks ago that I would be part of the Announcing Team at the 2020 Sea Otter Classic! So I will look forward to see what is said next week with great interest.

The Toronto Bicycle Show - went on as scheduled this week. My wife and I went on Friday afternoon and evening. This is a consumer focused bike show with local bike shops and some brands making up most of the exhibitors and thousands of attendees. Seemed like business as usual, with the odd laugh when someone declined a handshake and went for the fist-bump, elbow or foot tap!!

I did see that the LA Marathon went on as schedule this morning. FWIW - I noted, they were viciously attacked on Twitter for doing this!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
March 08, City Pier City run in The Hague, The Netherlands, 21k/10k/5k, 42,000 runners, was held today. They recommende people with fever and a cough or shortness of breath not to come to the event, and had an additional advisory for people from a certain region in The Netherlands where there are more Covid-cases, including some with unknown origin (locally contracted, but not identified where), than the rest of The Netherlands. People from that region which had either a fever, cough, or flu like systems were asked not to come to the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody seems to have noticed that the 2020 World Indoor Track Championships, scheduled to begin this week in Nanjing, have been postponed *a year*.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to guess that all the events going on right now, or in the next week, are sliding in under the mit at home plate. I was watching the LA marathon on TV, and didnt see hardly any spectators outside of the finish line, and I wonder what the actual numbers of actual runners was. I think they usually have around 26k or so runners? I'll tell you one thing, there are a ton of ladies that should be kicking themselves for not being at this race. A $100k to the winner, I assume it went pretty deep after that too. Looked like about 10 starters, and 5th was a 2;50!!! 1/2 dozen triathlete women could have been 3rd there, 2;36+ for that spot.

Lets revisit this topic in about two weeks I would say. I think Oceanside 70.3 is in trouble, probably the Boston Marathon, and certainly any sporting event in Washington state.. I bet they go with March Madness with no fans, and eventually even pro sports. We will hit an apex of fear, warranted or not, but it will be real.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just realized the Coronavirus fear is affecting my race plans. I usually take advantage of early registration pricing and part of my annual ritual is setting up my race schedule in March. While I’ve registered for a marathon and half IM (last December), going to wait to register for other events. Probably will be a lousy season for race directors.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m doing the same. Holding off on registering for anything other than what I’m already signed up for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancelled or postponed

Rome marathon
Barcelona marathon
Seoul marathon
Paris half marathon
Tokyo marathon
Milan San Remo
Strade Bianche
Tirreno Adriatico

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a good site for big running races, looks like it was updated just recently. Looks like 4 of the 7 big marathons have been cancelled, I would guess at least a couple more soon. And they did mention that it would be bad to just wait and see, as people need time to cancel flights, hotels, and other plans. And it also frees them up if they can get on all this stuff early to do something else;

https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/...-cancel-coronavirus/
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm going to guess that all the events going on right now, or in the next week, are sliding in under the mit at home plate. I was watching the LA marathon on TV, and didnt see hardly any spectators outside of the finish line, and I wonder what the actual numbers of actual runners was. I think they usually have around 26k or so runners? I'll tell you one thing, there are a ton of ladies that should be kicking themselves for not being at this race. A $100k to the winner, I assume it went pretty deep after that too. Looked like about 10 starters, and 5th was a 2;50!!! 1/2 dozen triathlete women could have been 3rd there, 2;36+ for that spot.

Lets revisit this topic in about two weeks I would say. I think Oceanside 70.3 is in trouble, probably the Boston Marathon, and certainly any sporting event in Washington state.. I bet they go with March Madness with no fans, and eventually even pro sports. We will hit an apex of fear, warranted or not, but it will be real.

I expect the risk for Oceanside is the city or the military base pulling the permits simply because politicians dont want to be seen a not 100% focused in COVID19. Personally I wouldnt feel or worry about any risk participating in the race (but I also ran the Hot Chocolate 15k in downtown Seattle last week and didn't feel at risk doing that race either.) (and I was in South Korea 4 weeks ago.. and still felt very safe considering the precautions everyone was taking.)

Quote | Reply
Ya, I raced last weekend too, where about a 1/3 of the participants flew in from different parts of Europe. Like I said, events happening now, or in the past couple weeks, probably slid in safely as they could. Things going forward are going to get a bit more dicey. My main concern is just getting stuck somewhere, some mandatory quarantine. I'm ok with hunkering down here, or at the beach in a trailer, but not anywhere else where you have lost control of your situation. Going to Kirkland in a couple weeks just seems like poking the tiger..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women's Hockey World Championships were cancelled.

On the LA Marathon, one of my friends finished in the top 20. Though the results page is hard to manipulate and the winner is listed as 44 minutes.

Correct on the small Women's elite field. Sad.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women's World Hockey championships were to be held in my home town - Halifax Nova Scotia. This is a huge blow to a small city that does not get many big events like this.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another big tourney bites the dust, I cannot see how Coachella is going to happen now. I know it is just one case thus far, but more will certainly follow, and that entire valley is a population that is on the wrong end of this thing;

https://www.tennis.com/...2rZMf9ZJf_9x4iaEf6DM
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have thought the USMC would be the first to pull the licence for the Oceanside 70.3 race by not having 3000 civilians riding through their camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news in the UK at present.

Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Oliver Dowden told BBC Breakfast that he and the prime minister watched the England versus Wales Six Nations match at Twickenham on Saturday, and the current medical advice was that there was no reason to avoid or cancel sports events.
He said: "We are guided by the facts and we are guided by the evidence. At the moment the advice is clear from the chief medical officer: there isn't a need to cancel such events."
Sports governing bodies will meet ministers to discuss the possibility of staging events behind closed doors in future, however.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have thought the USMC would be the first to pull the licence for the Oceanside 70.3 race by not having 3000 civilians riding through their camp. //

Not sure their thinking on this, cycling through the base has to be about as low level as one could get, as far as any transmission. Not to mention that anyone really sick would not be there in the first place. But it is a military base, and lock downs are part of their thing, so would not surprise me. I'm more thinking that WTC may pull their own plug, not really their nature but may have no excuse if things get bad in the area soon. Lots of flying travelers for this race and flying is getting problematic in of itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Cancelled or postponed

Rome marathon
Barcelona marathon
Seoul marathon
Paris half marathon
Tokyo marathon
Milan San Remo
Strade Bianche
Tirreno Adriatico

I wonder if any US marathons will cancel. St. Louis Marathon coming up in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Let’s keep track of major endurance events held and cancelled [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have been clearer, a lockdown of Camp Pendleton is the more likely scenario, as you say a bunch of cyclists poses little to zero 'threat'.

I'm travelling from the UK for O'Side, I've already cancelled a trip to Rome next weekend as the CDC states that anyone returning from anywhere in Italy should self isolate for 14 days at home in US. As my home is not the US and I'd be travelling to US within the 14 day period I'm not willing to put myself or others at unnecessary risk or be refused entry at San Diego. I've a biometric passport & TSA Trusted Traveller status so my passport would show my travel to Italy in spite of no immigration stamps for Rome.

A few days ago the Oceanside 70.3 race director posted on a Facebook page that the race was on, 3 weeks out I'd say that was premature to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few days ago the Oceanside 70.3 race director posted on a Facebook page that the race was on, 3 weeks out I'd say that was premature to say the least. //

I agree, things are moving very quickly right now, and to reassure folks that are coming in on flights from around the world, well is just silly. Even if they have the event, I would imagine a lot would be in your situation and just pull the plug, hope that have a generous refund program in place for that group. Might be a good time to open it up to locals that got shut out, it did fill pretty early, so maybe they could pull in a few 100 that drive less than 2 hours to get there. At least if they pull the final plug, most of them will lose nothing really, as there are no hotels or flights involved. A much better group to cancel on, rather than telling the flying folks a week or two before that it is a no go..
Quote Reply

Prev Next