Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
So I have a very basic question, how do I get the tires on? LOL
Seems super simple, I have watched a few youtube videos, applied soap to the rim, but I just can't seem to get the last section of tire over the rim.
I have heated mine up in the dryer before. It worked well to stretch them that last bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read some of the posts above for some installation tips. If you have to put them into the dryer or oven or something to heat them up, you are doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
So I have a very basic question, how do I get the tires on? LOL
Seems super simple, I have watched a few youtube videos, applied soap to the rim, but I just can't seem to get the last section of tire over the rim.

This is my most comprehensive installation video: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...stallation_7389.html

This video also shows a trick I use for tight tires - quick clamps that hold one side of the tire bead for me:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._62_Review_7443.html

Most common problems:
-Tire beads not down in the center channel all the way.
-For very tight tires: Not starting the 2nd bead installation *opposite* the valve.
-Some sort of product incompatibility. Some wheel manufacturers outlaw certain tires and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used these clips? I came across these on youtube
http://www.tubelesssolutions.com/shop.html#/

I also saw that Giant makes a tubeless installation tool
https://www.brandscycle.com/...BEAQYAiABEgJDyvD_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Has anyone used these clips? I came across these on youtube
http://www.tubelesssolutions.com/shop.html#/

I also saw that Giant makes a tubeless installation tool
https://www.brandscycle.com/...BEAQYAiABEgJDyvD_BwE

I've never used/heard of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switched to tubeless on my Cannondale Knot 64 wheels. They are 21mm internal and 32mm external and mounted 25mm Conti 5000TL and to say the first tire was a bitch to mount would be an understatement but I credit that to a big learning curve. The first tire took me over an hour to get on but what finally made a huge difference was using zip ties. When I got the tire on as far as I could I'd use the zip ties to hold the tire in the rim channel and then as I worked a little more over the the rim I'd add additional ties until it was fully seated in the rim bed. Took the valve core out, hit it with a blast from the compressor to pop the bead, added 3oz. of Stans sealant, reinserted the valve core and used the floor pump to inflate to 85 psi. The second tire from start to finish took less than 20 minutes and 2 days later the tires have lost only @ 5 psi
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to say it, but it the tubeless tire/rim mix was that much of a PITA, I would never go tubeless. I can only imagine getting a flat that can’t seal would be just a call home for a pick up. I’m running Reynolds Aero wheels (2 sets), and mounting tubeless is no different than regular tires. I’m left confident if unsealable flats happen out on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what plugs are for. Past that yes, you could be F’d

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Hate to say it, but it the tubeless tire/rim mix was that much of a PITA, I would never go tubeless. I can only imagine getting a flat that can’t seal would be just a call home for a pick up. I’m running Reynolds Aero wheels (2 sets), and mounting tubeless is no different than regular tires. I’m left confident if unsealable flats happen out on the road.

I am not planning to carry a tube or tire levers. In all the thousands of road miles I've ridden over the years I average less than 1 flat per year and dont think there was one flat over that time that a plug wouldn't have fixed. That being said I'm sure I'll have a flat tomorrow that a plug wont fix and have to call for a ride 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg- I couldn’t tell in your video, do you know if DT used one or two wraps on the wheels they sent you? I just got in some of their tubeless tape for a road setup and it says only one wrap necessary but I’ve always always done and heard two wraps for any road tubeless set up. Any thoughts?
It’s a Zipp 303 disc if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
Greg- I couldn’t tell in your video, do you know if DT used one or two wraps on the wheels they sent you? I just got in some of their tubeless tape for a road setup and it says only one wrap necessary but I’ve always always done and heard two wraps for any road tubeless set up. Any thoughts?
It’s a Zipp 303 disc if that matters.

Great question, and unfortunately I don't know the answer (but I'll see if I can find out). Anywhere from 1-2 wraps is common as a general rule. Curious - why didn't you use Zipp's tubeless tape, and their guidelines? That would've been my preferred route.

Some of this can also be influenced by the tire. If I install a tire and it feels loose, I'll add more tape. Or if I read that a wheel/tire combo has a history of very tight fit, I'll only use one wrap (but note that you do want at least a few inches of overlap to ensure a good seal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had these wheels for a little while now. Used Silca tape last time and worked great. Had to send the wheel in for service to Zipp, long story, and now need to retape. The size I needed in silca was sold out so tried this DT Swiss. I’m going to prob do two and see how it goes. What’s the downside, possibly tighter and a tiny tiny bit heavier? I can live with the weight as long as the tire won’t be impossible to change road side if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
I’ve had these wheels for a little while now. Used Silca tape last time and worked great. Had to send the wheel in for service to Zipp, long story, and now need to retape. The size I needed in silca was sold out so tried this DT Swiss. I’m going to prob do two and see how it goes. What’s the downside, possibly tighter and a tiny tiny bit heavier? I can live with the weight as long as the tire won’t be impossible to change road side if needed.

Makes sense. Yeah, downside of extra tape is tighter tire fit. The weight is irrelevant (at least to me). 1 vs 2 layers isn't even a big deal. Back in the early tubeless days, setups were ALL over the map... some people building up rim beds with thick foam, tons of tape, etc - just trying to get lucky and make the wheel and tire work together.

What I'd do in this case is install the tire with no tape just to see how tight it is. If it's pretty snug with no tape, I'd do one wrap. If it's obviously loose, I'd do two wraps. Adjust from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i havnt seen much talk about tubeless tires for the roval 321 disc or the roval clx 64. this is the combo im going to be going with on my new bike and im hesitant to go tubeless due to how hard tubeless tires seem to be to mouth. anyone have tubeless experience with these wheels? namely the contis?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a set of Conti 5000 TL on Hed wheels the last week and did my first ride yesterday. All I can say is it is a bit of a mission to get TL tyres on, not terrible but wow they are amazing to ride compared to all other tyre combos I've ridden. Just do it regardless as I'm a 5000 TL convert now.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Just do it regardless as I'm a 5000 TL convert now.

Yeah me too. Did the first few crits of my road season on them. Some in rain. They're just great. Grip for days. Roll super great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While not tubeless-specific, I thought ya'll might enjoy this article that just went up on the home page today. Tubeless or not, wheels have gotten better in the last 20 years. I'm talking better build quality, fewer warranties, and a general weed-out of weak products and brands. It's not a bad time to be a wheel customer.

Quoting myself like a dork... because I can and nobody else would ever want to:

"Where will it go? Will we see further consolidation? What advancements can we realistically expect in the products themselves? I’ll give my two cents. I think that much of the contraction is over, and that the survivors have gone back to the things that got them to the dance in the first place. Wheels are great, but are largely a commodity. If you can’t deliver on the (difficult) basics of build quality, hub quality, and customer service, don’t bother telling us an aero or performance story. Customers have heard the 'fastest-wheel-ever' line enough times and just want something that works."

I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers, but c'mon... that's inevitable. >shrug<
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I put up a blog post on how I go about "plugging" tubeless punctures that sealant can't handle alone: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...s-tire-plugging.html

Some of you may have seen most of this in a couple posts I did here a while back on various threads, but I decided put the info together into a single blog post for "one stop shopping" :-)

Enjoy!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info thanks.

In your experience, what is the highest air pressure that a patch of this type can/could handle? Asking because I am wondering if this will work for a narrow-tired tri racing set up ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless wheel and tire SUPER THREAD [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Great info thanks.

In your experience, what is the highest air pressure that a patch of this type can/could handle? Asking because I am wondering if this will work for a narrow-tired tri racing set up ...

Well...the example shown in the pictures is a 25C tire, and without the plug wouldn't hold over ~60 psi without "blowing out" the sealant. Once plugged, it easily held 80-85psi immediately, and once cured, could go higher than that.

If I was running tubeless on a TT/Tri bike, this would definitely be my first choice at attempting to fix a puncture. It's WAY faster than swapping a tube, especially on a tubeless tire.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Great info thanks.

Well...the example shown in the pictures is a 25C tire, and without the plug wouldn't hold over ~60 psi without "blowing out" the sealant. Once plugged, it easily held 80-85psi immediately, and once cured, could go higher than that.

If I was running tubeless on a TT/Tri bike, this would definitely be my first choice at attempting to fix a puncture. It's WAY faster than swapping a tube, especially on a tubeless tire.

OK, more questions: how long is the plug curing time? If, once cured, it could go higher, how much higher do you think it could go?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Yesterday I put up a blog post on how I go about "plugging" tubeless punctures that sealant can't handle alone: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...s-tire-plugging.html

Some of you may have seen most of this in a couple posts I did here a while back on various threads, but I decided put the info together into a single blog post for "one stop shopping" :-)

Enjoy!

Good stuff - thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Great info thanks.

OK, more questions: how long is the plug curing time? If, once cured, it could go higher, how much higher do you think it could go?

Hmmm...maybe an hour or 2...definitely by 24 hours. After that, can take it up to as high as you would want to go on a 25C tire (AKA no more than 100 psi ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If one was using a 23C tire, do you think the patch could handle 100psi after being cured?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If one was using a 23C tire, do you think the patch could handle 100psi after being cured?

No problem. The loop of cord inside forms basically a "mushroom head" with cured sealant that could never be pushed out the hole by air pressure.

Quote Reply

Prev Next