Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is the turtle lady. She saves all turtles in the road regardless of personal risk.

I prefer jalapeno stuffed olives in my moonshine bloody Marys.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 2, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

Meh - I'll take my junk miles.

Honestly I'm jealous. Would trade shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So glad you're still with us, Tom - you can bet I'll try to keep the photos coming for you, so you can at least get a bit of virtual trail in with me!

It was a pretty amazing weekend out there, though I will say I'm a little beat up from the 25k race on Saturday. Did not expect a foot of fresh snow the night before, and at -16c/3f it wasn't until my 3rd lap (course was a 5k loop; there were also 5k and 10k options) that things finally started to pack down a bit. Whole lot of people either didn't show up at all, or switched to the 10k after their first lap - only 20 finishers total for the 20k, and 101 for all distances out of 130+ registered.

The hardest part was going out for another run at sunset after I finally got home, but it definitely helped work some of the junk out of my legs. The trails along the river Sunday morning were beautiful but the temperature came up rapidly to just above freezing, and the snowpack destabilized - spent a bit of time trying not to fall in the Speed River, so 2nd run was at an indoor track. Felt great to run in a tank top for a change!

Quote | Reply

are you watching chess commentary strategies in that video?

running and watching chess?!

amazing

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Mar 2, 20 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Meh - I'll take my junk miles.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People have different reasons for doing this challenge; for me, it IS about the speed. Not someone else's, but seeing if I could get my own to be faster over time. I didn't know about this sub-5:00 min/km thing until probably halfway through, so in the beginning my only goal was to see if I could get the 100 runs in. It was not an auspicious beginning - I missed 7 days of the first 15 due to an illness and a banged-up knee (fell hard on a lava rock). I put in some doubles and triples in the second half of December to make up some of the deficit. I didn't care about pace, so I ran some tough courses - rocky shoreline trails, down and up Waipio Valley, etc.

After the first month, I started getting faster, and by January I was routinely running under 8:00 mile pace. Other than a couple of exceptions, my runs are all 30 minutes and some seconds. In the second half of January, I was visiting my old haunts in the Bay Area and happened to coincide with my tri team's "Ultimate Run" - an 18.5-mile trail run in the Santa Cruz Mountains with 2500 ft of climbing/descending. That one definitely hurt my average pace, but the great thing was that it was the easiest effort I'd ever put out for that course, and my endurance was fine. Maybe there is something to this running frequently thing. <grin>

I should mention that I've done minimal swimming and cycling during this time, but I have been doing Pilates 2-3x a week, and I find it really helps me feel stronger in the runs.

It seemed as though I got another mini-spike in late February in which I now consistently average under 7:30 pace unless I force myself to run super easy. I don't seem to notice the difference one way or another the next day.

Some data (I use a Stryd pod for tracking power):

Period # of runs avg dis avg power avg dur avg pace avg cad avg HR
Dec 1-15 9 3.71 227 34:30:04 8:56 85 131
Dec 15-31 19 3.73 234 32:35:54 8:38 87 132
Jan 1-15 17 4.02 259 30:58:17 7:43 89 130
Jan 16-31 16 4.85 254 39:09:31 7:47 88 129
Feb 1-15 18 3.93 254 30:41:32 7:48 89 127
Feb 16-Mar 2 17 4.06 265 30:25:55 7:30 89 129

Generally my pace has gotten faster while heart rate and cadence have remained the same, especially after the first month. The Stryd power numbers correlate very well with pace. What isn't there in these numbers are factors like sleep, stress, etc. I do track those via the Garmin (mostly 935, but I recently switched to a 945). In general I get a decent amount of sleep, and my RHR has come down from the mid 40s to right around 40 (sometimes upper 30s). Living on the Big Island, I also don't get very stressed. :-) What isn't easy to quantify but is also a subjective observation - on most days I just feel very fluid when I start my run. I guess this running economy shows up in the average pace, but maybe there's a component in the various detailed Stryd numbers to look at (e.g., Form Power).

I'm now trying to figure out what to do AFTER the challenge. I've got Boston coming up, and I feel like this was a very good program to get me ready (just need to add a few more longer runs), but I also need to start layering in swimming and cycling again. I always ran decently off of 3-4 runs per week, but now I'm thinking of trying to sustain 5-6 and see if that will carry me through the season better.

Meanwhile, I'm 3 seconds per mile off of that 5:00/km cutoff to make the list...

Ian
Last edited by: ihersey: Mar 2, 20 22:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ihersey wrote:
if that will carry me through the season better.

Meanwhile, I'm 3 seconds per mile off of that 5:00/km cutoff to make the list...

Ian

Do the math with 5 days left, what pace do you need to maintain each day in the 30min minimum?.. I say go for it!

Side note about my sub challenge. I always do A,B,C goal system. That way if you do my challenge as A goal, at least you are guaranteed the B goal of 100 runs / 100 days if you fail . You are welcome to make your own challenges to help meet the main goal
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 3, 20 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ihersey wrote:

Ian

Do the math with 5 days left, what pace do you need to maintain each day in the 30min minimum?.. I say go for it!

Side note about my sub challenge. I always do A,B,C goal system. That way if you do my challenge as A goal, at least you are guaranteed the B goal of 100 runs / 100 days if you fail . You are welcome to make your own challenges to help meet the main goal

I noticed I fell off the last list pull, but should be back on the list until the end. I just started some speedwork for a 26.2 race and have done the past 8 3mi runs under 19:40 on the treadmill. (19:31, 19:04, 19:18, 18:59, 19:37, 19:35, 19:27, 19:33) So those got me back on the list! 8)

I'm so much stronger as a runner because of this challenge.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ihersey wrote:

Ian

Ok, 30 min @ 7:10 pace took 1 second off my average mile pace. The treadmill read 10 seconds per mile faster, but I’m going with the Stryd distance/speed.

It’s doable!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that at least 30 activities (swimming, running and cycling) were counted double and I guess that was a weird sync issue. I just manually deleted them. And am now below 90 - oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell... Eric the biking which activities they are, otherwise they are just going to come back the next time you sync.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I synced again and they are gone
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 8 runs left to do with 6 days of running left including today (already ran once). I need two more double days after today's double day (one more run today).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 3x 3mi runs in today at a decent pace for me (19:05, 19:08, 19:26) on the treadmill.

I have a race coming up on 3/15 (26.2) and this 3mi distance has been a good formation of speedwork for me to train without injury (outdoor miles ruin my knees sometimes).

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit 100 today. Tomorrow will be the first day since Dec 1st I don't run. My triathlon plan has 3 more runs before the challenge ends so I should end up at 103. Very happy i was able to achieve this - many of my runs were just barely above the minimums but I got out every day and ran which is all I hoped to do.

Such a good motivator and fun challenge. Almost made me love running again. Almost. I'm going to do a couple fitness tests after the rest day to see how much my speed / HR improved.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I am going to attempt 17 runs on Sunday, March 8th (day 99). My goal is to start at 12:00 AM Sunday and hold a 9-minute pace or less with exactly 1 hour 1 minute between each run. 17 runs will have me finish at 11:55 PM with just over 50 miles. Hopefully I can pull it off and still squeeze in a run on day 100. Last year there were 29 days where I didn't log a single run. One of my mini goals this year was to make sure I ran at least once every day. Two weeks to go!

I'm wondering how many sessions I can jam in at 6:20-6:40 pace between now and Monday at midnight ... that is the question.

Don't forget to pamper your body extensively on Sunday. I'm excited to see your efforts! Good luck. Cheers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a run tonight I'll be at 73, which is where I finished last year, so adding to that over the next few days will be a small improvement over 2018-19

It looks like Jane & I are "battling" it out for the Lanterne Rouge of posters in this thread [and medal contenders]

ETA: It's never too late to request a commemorative bib, for scrap-booking porpoises

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7096977#p7096977

PM me if you want one, what name & number you'd like, and how I can get it to ya

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I got 3x 3mi runs in today at a decent pace for me (19:05, 19:08, 19:26) on the treadmill.

I have a race coming up on 3/15 (26.2) and this 3mi distance has been a good formation of speedwork for me to train without injury (outdoor miles ruin my knees sometimes).

if we learned anything from the insane (stupid) effort by bluestacks...don't do anything abnormal to hit an arbitrary number or list that all of us will forget about in 4 days. It does not matter, but you'll have to live with the consequences down the line.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
don't do anything abnormal to hit an arbitrary number or list that all of us will forget about in 4 days. It does not matter, but you'll have to live with the consequences down the line.

My main goal at this point is to stay productive and get a good time in the 26.2 and have fun! My watch has been saying 'productive' every time so I know I'm not over training, in fact my hours spent training recently is really low.

I'm at the point where the more I can push it this week (in a productive manner), the easier the 26.2 will be for me race day.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, my attempt at speed is like Danstu’s normal workout. Dude is a machine!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

you know this - always someone faster out there and more impressive - and thats ok!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
plant_based wrote:

you know this - always someone faster out there and more impressive - and thats ok!

Yes - this sport is not only challenging, but humbling to all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
triczyk wrote:
plant_based wrote:

Yes - this sport is not only challenging, but humbling to all.

Thats why we love it! Good luck in your marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Basically I had a lot of the last 14 days double, and it synced nothing between December 1-17. So I manually added those days, but only the runs since all of it would have been super tedious. I often ride 2-3 times a day. :-)

But I am back to North of 100. So far this week 32 miles, 5 runs and a rest day. :-)

H
Quote Reply

Prev Next