Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ibuprofen is neither a 'blood thinner' nor an 'anti-platelet' med. Mentioning blood clots and home treatment can falsely reassure readers of ST so I'm glad you cleared this up.

Phlebitis or even superficial leg clots are treated much differently than a DVT. Who in the world knows what you actually had...

Seek guidance when needed people...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Ibuprofen is neither a 'blood thinner' nor an 'anti-platelet' med. Mentioning blood clots and home treatment can falsely reassure readers of ST so I'm glad you cleared this up.

Phlebitis or even superficial leg clots are treated much differently than a DVT. Who in the world knows what you actually had...

Seek guidance when needed people...

Anywho, how’s everybody’s weather?

SoCal warmed up into the 70s and 80s this week, so I’m finally warm. It’s windy but I’ll take this weather over our previous wintery mix of rain and 60s. That was brutal!

I recently saw a dead snake on the road so my heart thrills with delight and anticipation of seeing more snakes when I run. Love them! They scare me!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Anywho, how’s everybody’s weather?

We didn't get a Winter this year; and only 0.3" inches of snow in PHL

https://www.accuweather.com/...nuary-weather/350540

The seemingly never-ending grey & rain really tested my resolve in the SAD Battle - I'm still winning, BTW

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 27, 20 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Joe Public] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Public wrote:
I’m in. I’ve been out of pocket and just noticed the earlier start date this morning, so I threw on some shoes and went for a run. :-)

Last year was the first time I participated. I just looked back at my results: 87 runs covering about 388 miles in total. That seems like more than I remember but, based on that, I hope to stay healthy and consistent enough to get to the 90+ runs group this year. Maybe there’s a lesson in there about big things being done one step (or bound) at a time.

Thanks to those who put this together. Enjoy the challenge, everyone.

Ninety days later, and I am at 90 runs. It’s been a good few months of running, and it’s always motivating to log in, enter my run, and see everyone else who is out there as well. Keep up the good work, everyone. Ten days to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sorta like this. It's been snowing or blowing snow for 3 days now. Those pics are from a snowshoe race last Saturday - my 3rd and final one of February, and the season. The last 100m was up a big effin' hill that almost killed me - here's the second half of it, with the finish arch visible up at the top right.

Somehow between the small field and no duplication of awards I got an adorable medal for 1st Masters woman, as well as a buff and a pair of fleece socks handmade by the race director's mom.

Third consecutive Saturday of racing tomorrow - a 25k trail race with a predicted starting temperature of -13c/9f, and a high of -8c/18f. Oh, and both my area and the race location are currently under a snow squall watch, so probably a total of about 25cm/10" of snow on the trails since Wednesday morning. I guess they call it "Polar Paws" for a reason!

Hit 100 on day 85, which was Sunday. Probably won't manage to equal last year, but I've run twice every day I haven't had to work, so we'll call it good enough.

Quote | Reply
At 94 runs And never thought I would be close to completing this challenge. So many days I had an excuse not to run but got it done only because of this challenge. I have averaged 25 miles/week so not huge but the consistency has paid dividends.
One thing I have definitely noticed is my resilience. This Wednesday I did a 14 mile run with over 1,200ft of climbing. The next day I was out for a 3 mile run, and the next day, and the next. That would NEVER have been possible prior to this challenge.
This has been a great challenge and I am already planning to do the next 100/100 challenge.
Thank you to everybody on this challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Legs are pretty tired but I did a slowish 10 miles this morning as part of a training plan. Also run #96. I too am surprised and delighted I pulled this off. It’s been great for my running and overall fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 run everyday at sub 5 k/min pace leader board with less than 10 days left:

jmaley 4:09/km
danstu4 4:09/km
Sbernardi 4:16/km
rmg 4:30/km
PomDad 4:33/km
JeffJ 4:33/km
twcronin 4:38/km
Bass 4:39/km
synthetic 4:40/km
snny 4:43/km
ADabs 4:44/km
msrixon 4:45/km
qintegral 4:46/km
Joe Public 4:47/km
Tony.White 4:47/km
msprang 4:50/km
triczyk 4:50/km
ogdnut 4:53/km
wjoiner 4:54/km
mlawless 4:55/km
Ktri 4:55/km
LKtriMom 4:56/km
oprfcc 4:56/km
dyhopper 4:57/km
jtplaysdrums 4:57/km
fatman 4:58/km
five8five 4:58/km
jasonshock 4:58/km

quite a battle for first. person with more distance wins in a tie... as that is a higher stress
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 29, 20 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not participate in the challenge and I ended up last night with 95 runs, with lots of them well over 10 and as high as 32. My run mileage for January and February alone is 513 miles, plus I biked 1098 in those 2 months. My swimming at 43,788 yards is the smallest amount, but I do not always have access to the pool. But with treadmill and Wahoo Kickr at home I can always run and ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
1 run everyday at sub 5 k/min pace leader board with less than 10 days left:

jmaley 4:09/km
danstu4 4:09/km
Sbernardi 4:16/km
rmg 4:30/km
PomDad 4:33/km
JeffJ 4:33/km
twcronin 4:38/km
Bass 4:39/km
synthetic 4:40/km
snny 4:43/km
ADabs 4:44/km
msrixon 4:45/km
qintegral 4:46/km
Joe Public 4:47/km
Tony.White 4:47/km
msprang 4:50/km
triczyk 4:50/km
ogdnut 4:53/km
wjoiner 4:54/km
mlawless 4:55/km
Ktri 4:55/km
LKtriMom 4:56/km
oprfcc 4:56/km
dyhopper 4:57/km
jtplaysdrums 4:57/km
fatman 4:58/km
five8five 4:58/km
jasonshock 4:58/km

quite a battle for first. person with more distance wins in a tie... as that is a higher stress

Sadly you are hijacking the original intent of the challenge when I set it up in 2006/07. It was never meant to recognize fast athletes (and at the time, I'd be well up your leaderboard). The intention was to reward the everyman/woman athlete for sucking it up daily and going out.

People who are fast have plenty of rewards in racing. The challenge was meant to decouple from that and just recognize work and persistence, not recognize genetics (and I say this as I was, at 16:xx 5km/33:xx 10km person so I had a genetic head start at running).

Joel is a friend of mine and I am certain he would 1000% support me. He does not need (nor want) any recognition for how good his training pace is. When he get to the military and age group category competition in Kona, damn right he will care about his pace, but he's not interested in getting recognized for happening to have ran the fastest of all of us in the challenge over the first 90 days or so.

Now the number of runs that Joel or Danstu have done and their total volume, that's what this challenge is all about

....and I get that everyone can have their opinion on what is important, so I am trying to swing the pendulum back as I've see your speed leaderboard a few times.

====================

OK back to where I am at. Today I had a swim meet and made it a double "swim run day". 30 min super easy warmup run then a tough swim meet (200 fly, 100 fly, 100 back, 100 breast, 100 free, 50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free, 100IM and 400IM...my 400IM was my second fastest time ever and PB's in the breast events...everything else kind of sucked)....then had a quick snack and did a really nice second run for 50 minutes

This brings me up to 3 runs behind 100/100 pace with 8 days left. At this point, my body is ready for doubles and I think from a time management perspective, I will do several run doubles commuting to work or the pool in the next week. The main issue is running home in the dark with ice all over the ground. But I think I can get to 100/100. Last year I had given up on running and used 100/100 as a rehab mechanism with a goal to get to a single continuous 30 min outdoor run by the last week (I did it). This got me back to racing triathlons after a 4 years break. This year's 100/100 got me through a mid winter 70.3 3 weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I did not participate in the challenge and I ended up last night with 95 runs, with lots of them well over 10 and as high as 32. My run mileage for January and February alone is 513 miles, plus I biked 1098 in those 2 months. My swimming at 43,788 yards is the smallest amount, but I do not always have access to the pool. But with treadmill and Wahoo Kickr at home I can always run and ride.

que? miles? pace?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I did not participate in the challenge and I ended up last night with 95 runs

The challenge is still going if you want to sign up.

https://training.slowtwitch.com/

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Mar 1, 20 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My last 3 Sunday’s have been long run days, 20 milers so I only ran once. If I get passed in runs that’s ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not sign up on purpose because I wanted to do the runs I wanted to do, and not just accumulate as many 31 minute runs as possible to be ranked high.

I basically just found it interesting that I ended up close to that number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was my approach in the challenge: just to do my training plan. I had a self imposed rule that any extra runs (eg, a 31min run for extra credit) had to be on top of my real plan
... And not on an off day. Still need rest.

As they said, since you are right on track with the challenge no reason not to sign up. If your runs are on strava then you can just sync and everything will populate overnfromnthe beginning.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 1, 20 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
....and I get that everyone can have their opinion on what is important, so I am trying to swing the pendulum back as I've see your speed leaderboard a few times.

and past 3 years I have made sub challenges so junk miles are not piled up which can cause injury, just as lack of training
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had MAJOR problems with motivation during this 100/100. Ugh! I’m dreading running today, but I have to go soon. My hubby says rain is predicted to start in 90 minutes.

Yesterday I biked with my youngest son along Espola Road. My son saw an itty bitty hummingbird baby on the bike path. It was the size of a garlic-stuffed-olive. It was too new to fly! After I dropped my son off at home, I ran out along Espola for my 30 minutes and saw the baby bird, still on the path.

Later, as I ran back home, I passed the spot where the little sweetie had been. He was gone! I looked around and saw him about 5 feet away. He fluttered his wings and rose about 2 feet in the air! I was so proud of him!

Then, to my horror, the baby hummingbird fluttered up and toward the traffic zooming by on Espola! I ran forward to the edge of the bike path to block the bird from going into the road. But then I realized he was flying right at my chest with his needle-sharp beak! I screamed and did an involuntary danced. Someone drove by and shouted my name. The bird veered away from me and landed in some tall grass away from the road.

It’s a bummer someone saw my antics, but what an adventure! If I’m lucky I’ll have another one today.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I synced it and am actually at 101 runs, 113 hours 10 minutes and 31 seconds, 763.59 miles and an 8:53 average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I synced it and am actually at 101 runs, 113 hours 10 minutes and 31 seconds, 763.59 miles and an 8:53 average.

Nice job! You did it.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Meh - I'll take my junk miles.

Quote | Reply
Outstanding! Nice work.

Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mistressk-

Thank you for all your beautiful photos. I look forward to your chronicles every year. Love it!

I always think I'll try and take photos like that on my runs. But, east Texas just doesn't compare around my home.

Since I can't run, I watch for your posts... Looking forward to the day that I can get back out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Week 11: 37 runs | 112.1 mi | 16.3 hours

Headaches, severe

Day 71: 7 runs | 21.2 mi
Day 72: 9 runs | 27.4 mi
Day 73: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 74: 3 runs | 9.1 mi
Day 75: 3 runs | 9.1 mi
Day 76: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 77: 7 runs | 21.2 mi

I stopped drinking coffee cold turkey last week. I never cared for black coffee and always loaded up on cream and sugar. Now that I decided to intermittent fast to lose weight, my coffees had to go. Caffeine withdrawal hit me hard this week and I had severe headaches. By the end of the week the headaches stopped. After two weeks intermittent fasting, I am down 4 lbs. A lot of it came off the first week and was simply water weight from the huge carbohydrate swing. I must plan the fasts around my runs. I have been skipping all my AM runs before work. Skipping the AM runs has allowed me to fast 16-20 hours on weekdays and still log 3 to 4 runs.

My body felt strong all week. With all my previous injuries behind me I have been feeling pretty good physically. After running almost 22 hours in week 8, These 15 to 16-hour weeks are very tolerable. Mentally I am counting down the days and can't wait for the challenge to end. I would say that it is not fun anymore. I think it stopped being fun sometime around week 7. I am locked into the mental training aspect of it and determined to not let up.

Week 12: 34 runs | 102.9 mi | 14.8 hours

Fatigue, moderate to severe
Blood clot (right leg)

Day 78: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 79: 8 runs | 24.1 mi
Day 80: 5 runs | 15.2 mi
Day 81: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 82: 3 runs | 9.1 mi
Day 83: 3 runs | 9.2 mi
Day 84: 6 runs | 18.1 mi

I started the week with extreme, unexplained fatigue. While sitting at work I was extremely tired even though I was getting good amounts of sleep. I notice a weird sensation in my right leg a few times throughout each day. It felt like my leg was pipe and warm water was slowly flowed through it. It would only last three to five seconds and only occurred a few times each day. I eventually googled the symptoms and determined it was most likely a blood clot. I started walking more throughout the day at work, used compression on my leg, and took blood thinners once a day. By the end of the week the symptoms seemed to be gone. If it lasted a couple more days, I was ready to go to the doctor. I am pretty sure I treated it just fine.

Fasting is getting easier and I am continuing to skip the AM runs before work. My wife and kids had a mild cold this week and I didn't even catch it. That never happens. I am probably healthier than ever now that I am not pumping sugar through my body all day.

I am going to attempt 17 runs on Sunday, March 8th (day 99). My goal is to start at 12:00 AM Sunday and hold a 9-minute pace or less with exactly 1 hour 1 minute between each run. 17 runs will have me finish at 11:55 PM with just over 50 miles. Hopefully I can pull it off and still squeeze in a run on day 100. Last year there were 29 days where I didn't log a single run. One of my mini goals this year was to make sure I ran at least once every day. Two weeks to go!

Just an FYI, a friend of mine died from having a blood clot in his leg when he was in his early 20s.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
... the size of a garlic-stuffed-olive.

Anyone else would've said "size of a quarter" or a nickel or something, but not our Jane

Wonderful story & excellent outcome

I've helped turtles get out of harm's way on the road before, but the only bird encounters I've had - besides crowing roosters and being honked at by ducks & geese behind the fences of the farms I run past - have been with wild turkeys & peacocks [although I have heard owls hooting in the pre-dawn darkness a time or two]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next