Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pad center reach: 530
Pad center stack: 610
Saddle Y: 675

Professionally fit. Long and low; was hoping for the CF 8.0 Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [iankibble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian, fit was on a Fizik Mistica.

BRP (Biomechanical Reference Point) is the point that identifies the anatomical center of the saddle (mid-line reference).
Image here of the measurements and diagram if that helps > https://ibb.co/8cLrfPj

iankibble,
Diagram helps, thanks. I was dead on for the seat height (math baby!). I guessed your Pad Y to be ~625. After looking at this diagram I'm betting it's closer to 650. However now I'm even more certain that it's a medium and not a small and here's why..... you have a setback of 64mm with a Mistica and a seat height of 752. If you are perched on the very tip of the nose of that saddle then I'm probably okay with this....but if you're anywhere near the middle of this saddle (or, heaven forbid, on the back of it) - you're not riding steep enough. And that could be for a myriad of reasons: saddle is uncomfortable on the nose which means you need a different saddle, saddle isn't moved forward enough on the rails, fitter drove the fit by KOPS, etc.

I would expect you to have a setback of 30ish mm. If that were the case your Pad X would be even longer - and remember I guessed it at 480 and that was too long for the small. Also, if you're hips were more over the bottom bracket then your drop wouldn't be 75mm it would more like 90mm (bringing the Pad Y down).

Anyway, this all speculation. It could be confirmed with a video or even a still image shot at profile of your riding at power on this bike (trainer's always easiest)...and, what's worse, I'm getting off topic. Your original query was small or medium this time around and I'm firm in the medium.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [westandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pad center reach: 530
Pad center stack: 610
Saddle Y: 675

Professionally fit. Long and low; was hoping for the CF 8.0 Di2.

westandrew,

Love it, just the facts and the ones I need!
There's only one way to get this to work on a CF and it's not stock. You would get a Large. When you strip everything out and slam he stem you get 607 so a 2.5mm spacer under stem yields a pad stack of 609.5. This bike comes stock with a 90mm stem and that's the longest stem that Canyon makes for this bike and that plus the pads pushed out to the max is a Pad X 513. You'd need to get a 110stem to make this work. Now, let's discuss that for a sec.... the steer tube is standard 1 1/4. The base bar is standard 3.18, so lots of stems are made that will fit the set up. The medium also gets the Pad X but you'd need a 130 stem to get long enough. The XL will get out to 533 with the stock 90mm stem but it's lowest point is 634.

BTW, if you did the SLX you'd be a Medium with 15mm of pedestal and if you kept the short stem that comes stock you'd max it out at 529. If you acquired the long stem it's shorts position is 529. I kinda like the idea of maxing out the short stem but it depends a bit on where your elbows sit on the pad - it's 1mm, that's typically acceptable in this situation.

I wrote all of this not really sure what "Saddle Y". I don't think your seat height is 675 but I'd like to know what your seat height is just to make sure the CF in a Large can make it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Ian,
So glad that I find this thread.
I'm a newcomer in endurance sports. Gunning for my first iron man this year. As such, I intend to purchase a Tri bike, and decided to go for Canyon Speedmax 8.0 Di 2.

Teddokun,
You're gonna be great. Let's go together step by step through this process. In what city do you live? If I have a good fitter there then we'll connect the two of you and get the process started in a comprehensive manner - what I mean by that is that you'll have a fit done BEFORE buying the bike and from that process you'll know what size bike to buy, what bits you'll need on the front end (stem length, spacer height, arm pad position, etc). Also, your fit will be done, you'll know all your coordinates: seat height, set back, cockpit length, armpad elevation, etc. etc. It's the best way to go but not the only way to go.

So, what city....and....just in case I don't have a fitter there I can math it out pretty close based on what you've given me.

LMK, Ian

Ian,

Would like to follow up if you manage to find or able to recommend any qualified fitter in Indonesia.

Singapore is close by, but with all the madness of the corona epidemic, I won't be able to travel easily.

Else, I need to trouble you to maybe give me other guidance? 😉

Thank you once again.

Regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, PadX=463mm, PadY=639mm. Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm considering to buy the Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 size M. My length is 1.83m.

According to a bike fit I did last year, my pad X is 498 and my pad Y is 619. I doubt the fit a bit though, and therefore attached it to this message.
In the pdf you'll see that the pad X (Handlebar center X) seems to be further away from the BB than the armpads so it's probably some mm's smaller than 498.
Do you agree that M would fit me? I intend to do a new bikefit once I have the bike.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Floris
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [florisdewit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm considering to buy the Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 size M. My length is 1.83m.

According to a bike fit I did last year, my pad X is 498 and my pad Y is 619. I doubt the fit a bit though, and therefore attached it to this message.
In the pdf you'll see that the pad X (Handlebar center X) seems to be further away from the BB than the armpads so it's probably some mm's smaller than 498.
Do you agree that M would fit me? I intend to do a new bikefit once I have the bike.

Many thanks in advance!

Floris,
I'm glad that you wrote. Regarding the attached fit sheet - the Stack is 539 and Reach is 433. That seems certain. The HY (Handlebar Y) speaks to the height of the center of the handle bar is 619 and the HX is 498. Fitters and bike bike builders like and need those numbers, but for a rider those numbers are less important. What we want/need is the Pad Y and Pad X because that's where your body touches the bike. Those numbers aren't on this fit sheet which is a shame.

So, I have two answers for you #1 I'm certain of and #2 is a best estimates.

#1 - if your intention is to get another bike the you absolutely need to get that fit done before you buy. I'd like to know you live so I can see if there's a fitter who can do a dynamic fit on you, one that will give us exact Pad Y and Pad X for purchase AND give you all your fit numbers so the fit is finished before you buy.

#2 - if I had to act on the data I have now....I'd say your Pad Y is roughly 640 and your Pad X is roughly 490. The medium will work and the Pad Y is right in the middle so there's lots of room to move the pads up and down to find your perfect spot. The Pad X however maxes out at 492 on the Medium so if you had to go longer on that bike you'd need to swap out the 80mm stem that comes stock for a 90.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Looking at the 8.0 CF. Can you please advise on size?

Below is from a retul fit.

Height 183cm

Frame stack= 595mm
Frame reach= 430mm
Handlebar Y (stack)= 639mm
Handlebar X (reach)= 527mm
Pad Y (stack)= 684mm
Pad X (reach) (middle of pad)= 502mm Pad X (reach) (rear of pad)= 442mm Extension Y (stack)= 784mm
Extension X (reach)= 822mm
Seat height= 802mm

Crank 165
Recommended a Large by fitter (first TT bike)

Thinking is that max pad stack height on the M is 692mm, so that gives 8mm of upward adjustment whereas the L gives an extra 22mm of potential upward adjustment in the future, whilst still allowing pads to be lowered if needed. On the large the pad reach is right in the middle of the range with the stock stem still on the bike compared to a M where I’d need a longer stem.

Feedback is that the L therefore allows me to set up within the middle of the fitting range as well as giving plenty of flexibility for the fit in the future.
Last edited by: Bird01: Feb 19, 20 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I am looking at getting my first triathlon bike and looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0. I got a fit test for a road bike (56 cm) with aero bars and the coordinates are below:

HX: 525
HY: 650
SX: 220
SY: 668
Stack: 600
Reach: 420
Crank Length: 172.5
Saddle Height: 763

I know it isn't a true triathlon bike fit test, but as a newbie I was just looking to make the best out of my set up. Any help for my next set up with a Speedmax would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm looking at a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0.

Here's my fit coordinates:

Height: 187 cm

Saddle Height: 781
Pad X: 430
Pad Y: 650
Handlebar HX: 495
Handlebar HY: 500
Pad Angle: 13 degrees
Pad Back to End of Aerobar: 405
Pad Drop: 110

It looks like M and L could accommodate me, which makes it difficult (I tend to prefer smaller sizes).

Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,
Michael
Last edited by: mbeidler: Feb 18, 20 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I'm looking at a Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 or CF SLX 8.0 SL

From my Argon 18 E117 fit: PadX = 463mm, PadY = 639mm

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by: bjgwoody: Feb 23, 20 17:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
I am looking at a purchase in the very near term and have has several people recommend Canyon. I'm currently trying to decide between and CF 8.0 and CF SLX 8.0.

I'm currently on a Cervelo P3, 54.
Height is 5' 7", inseam 30"

Pad stack - 621 mm
Pad reach - 444 mm
Above dimensions are based on a Retul fit with attachment indicating the fit dimensions.

Dirkp
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian, PadX=463mm, PadY=639mm. Thanks for your help.

bjgwoody,
If you're looking at the Canyon Speedmax SLX (super bike, under Frodo and Lange the last 4 times) then you'd be on a....
Medium, with the short stem that comes stock, you'd need 45mm of arm pad pedestal. Now, about your cockpit distance.... We're currently in a time where some bike makers give PadX to mean the center of the pad. If that's the case with this number then you'd need an aftermarket item that Canyon sells called a "TSP" Team Switch Plate, that would allow you to pull the pads back a bit more than normal to get your 463. Some bike makers list their PadX to the back of the pad and if that's the case then I'd call your PadX 513 and you would not need the TSP, you'd be about center in the arm pad holes with all the stock items that come in the box.

If you're looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF (mortal bike, lots of details here) then you'd be on a...
Small if that 463 is to the middle of the pad and a Large if that number is to the back of the pad.

Get back to me if you have questions and I'll respond promptly.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Bird01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian

Looking at the 8.0 CF. Can you please advise on size?

Pad Y (stack)= 684mm
Pad X (reach) (middle of pad)= 502mm Pad X (reach) (rear of pad)= 442mm Extension Y (stack)= 784mm
Seat height= 802mm
Crank 165

Recommended a Large by fitter (first TT bike)

Thinking is that max pad stack height on the M is 692mm, so that gives 8mm of upward adjustment whereas the L gives an extra 22mm of potential upward adjustment in the future, whilst still allowing pads to be lowered if needed. On the large the pad reach is right in the middle of the range with the stock stem still on the bike compared to a M where I’d need a longer stem.
Feedback is that the L therefore allows me to set up within the middle of the fitting range as well as giving plenty of flexibility for the fit in the future.

Bird01
You're a Large for sure. The max Pad Y on the Medium is 672 and max on the Large is 694. The confusion might come from the fact that 2018 CF had a Profile-Design Supersonic clip-on aerobar that sat up a bit more and the new CF has a Subsonic that sits a little lower. No doubt, Large and with the stock stem that comes on it. You'd be all set.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

I am looking at getting my first triathlon bike and looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0. I got a fit test for a road bike (56 cm) with aero bars and the coordinates are below:

HX: 525
HY: 650
SX: 220
SY: 668
Stack: 600
Reach: 420
Crank Length: 172.5
Saddle Height: 763

I know it isn't a true triathlon bike fit test, but as a newbie I was just looking to make the best out of my set up. Any help for my next set up with a Speedmax would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for the time!

pkeys00,

You were lucky enough make your way to see Anne Barnes. She's a GREAT bike fitter. Thank you for including the fit report as she included the numbers we really needed: Pad Stack 620 and Pad Reach 405.
For your new Canyon Speedmax CF you'd be perfect on a Small. The stock stem that comes on that bike will allow you to get the pads right where you need them.

When the bike arrives take it back to Anne to set it up and put it in the exact position. She's not at Live Grit any more she has her own place at 700 N Green Street.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mbeidler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm looking at a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0.

Here's my fit coordinates:
Height: 187 cm, Saddle Height: 781
Pad X: 430
Pad Y: 650
Handlebar HX: 495, Handlebar HY: 500, Pad Angle: 13 degrees, Pad Back to End of Aerobar: 405, Pad Drop: 110
It looks like M and L could accommodate me, which makes it difficult (I tend to prefer smaller sizes).
Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks, Michael

Michael,
I'm quite certain that Pad X is measured to the back of the pad. All of Canyon's prescribers require a center-pad measurement. I'm gonna add 50mm to that number to get darn close to the center of the pad. So I'll be using 480 as your Pad X. To that end...
You are for sure a Medium and pretty much in the center of the range with the stock stem so you will fit on that bike perfectly.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Dirkp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
I am looking at a purchase in the very near term and have has several people recommend Canyon. I'm currently trying to decide between and CF 8.0 and CF SLX 8.0.

Pad stack - 621 mm
Pad reach - 444 mm

Dirkp,

444 is pretty short. I'm almost wondering that's measured to the back of the pad. Hmmm, I'll proceed as if it's to the center of the pad but let me know if it's to the back and I'll re-prescribe.

If you choose the SLX there's two ways to go...
Option 1) it's a Small with a few extras. You'd use the short stem that comes stock but you'd need the after market item "TSP" to bring the pads back you'd also need something Canyon calls the "high stack flat spring" + all 55mm of pedestal to get to the maximum Pad Y of this bike: 620.
Option 2) it's a Medium with 25mm of pedestal and the short stem that comes stock and the TSP to bring the pads back to the minimum Pad X of 448.

If you choose the CF then you'd need a Small. You're Pad Y is nicely in the middle of this's bike's range so you could go higher or lower in the future if you needed to. The Pad X on the other hand... the shortest it goes is 447. Now, 3mm might not be an issue as it speaks to elbows being off the pad or on the pad or some slight change that may be unnoticeable. BUT if you absolutely had to have those pads at 444 then you'd acquire a 70mm stem from Canyon and you'd buy yourself plenty of real estate to get the reach where you wanted.

Get back to me with questions, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Ian,

Pad stack - 621 mm
Pad reach - 444 mm

Dirkp,

444 is pretty short. I'm almost wondering that's measured to the back of the pad. Hmmm, I'll proceed as if it's to the center of the pad but let me know if it's to the back and I'll re-prescribe.

Option 1) it's a Small with a few extras. You'd use the short stem that comes stock but you'd need the after market item "TSP" to bring the pads back you'd also need something Canyon calls the "high stack flat spring" + all 55mm of pedestal to get to the maximum Pad Y of this bike: 620.
Option 2) it's a Medium with 25mm of pedestal and the short stem that comes stock and the TSP to bring the pads back to the minimum Pad X of 448.

If you choose the CF then you'd need a Small. You're Pad Y is nicely in the middle of this's bike's range so you could go higher or lower in the future if you needed to. The Pad X on the other hand... the shortest it goes is 447. Now, 3mm might not be an issue as it speaks to elbows being off the pad or on the pad or some slight change that may be unnoticeable. BUT if you absolutely had to have those pads at 444 then you'd acquire a 70mm stem from Canyon and you'd buy yourself plenty of real estate to get the reach where you wanted.

Ian,
thanks for looking into this for me. After reviewing some of the Retul information, it appears that the reach dimension is to the back of the pad. As quoted from another post, "The horizontal distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the back of the arm pad." So, it appears that some re-work on your part may be required. Sorry for making a the extra work for you.

Dirkp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

I'm looking to buy a Speedmax CF 8.0 and can't work out whether I should be an S or M - any help would be much appreciated.

I have previously been fitted to a Trek Speed Concept, size M.

My fit measurements are:

Saddle height: 745mm
Reach (saddle nose to pads): 525mm
Drop: 95mm

I'm 5'9 with a 78.7cm inseam

I'll be switching the original cranks over to 170's as well.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Ian.
I was last fitted (FIST) at the end of 2010. I haven't changed my fit since then. (other than replacing my saddle - Specialized Sitero)
I do think I could now go lower, but I am unsure by how much. Current dimensions on the bike - 2011 Argon18 E112

Pad Stack 735
Pad Reach (centre) 449
Saddle Setback (to nose) 65
Drop - 70

These were pulled off the current bike, but I won't claim they are fully accurate.
Picture in use attached.... UCI legal, which is a requirement, and still needs to allow me to run after

Any chance I might fit on either of the current Canyons?

Cape_Horn,

Short, Quick Answer: if you're going to stay with Pad Stack of 735 and Pad Reach of 449 then you'd need to be on the Canyon Speedmax CF in a size large but you'd need a shorter stem than the one that comes stock on the large. But, that set up would leave you in this position which I'm not happy about so let's go to the longer answer for as it's a far better one.

Longer, More Valued Answer: Everything about pic says "up and back" to me. That bike you're on has a seat angle of 76 degrees and you're on a road saddle (comfort is found rearward) so your hips are behind the bottom bracket in a such a way that it's forcing your cockpit to be short and your arm pads to be high - that's confirmed in the fact that you've got the tallest 3D headset top cap thingy + what looks like another 20mm of spacer + a +6 degree stem. Now, what might save this whole position is the new saddle because that new saddle might allow you to sit farther forward and give you the position your need/deserve but the question is - did the new saddle result in you flipping that stem (-6 degree), stripping out that 20mm spacer, maybe even going to the shorter/shortest 3D top cap, and moving the pads out or going to a longer stem? If, not - if you have the same front end set up with then new saddle then not much has changed.

You can be UCI legal and be in a comfortable (top priority), powerful (second priority), and slippery (third priority). A better position on the this bike will help you get there....also, a more modern bike with better geometry will help you get there.

I'd like three things from you if you can get 'em for me: 1) where do you live (city). 2) I want your overall height and 3) I'd like your saddle height measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of your saddle in the middlish. Get back to me with that and let's continue this discussion. #1 is cause if one of the fitters on "my list" is near you then I'm going to urge you to go see them. #2 & #3 are in case you are too far from a great fitter then I want to propose a Pad Y/Pad X that is far closer to where you could be.

Ian

Hi Ian
So I finally got a refit last week. (I found a FIST certified fitter in my area)
new details
Pad X - 528
Pad Y - 622
(Changing my current bike setup to accommodate this position to see how it works for longer rides)
(Just a small change)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Dirkp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirkp wrote:

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Ian,

Pad stack - 621 mm
Pad reach - 444 mm

Dirkp,

Ian,
thanks for looking into this for me. After reviewing some of the Retul information, it appears that the reach dimension is to the back of the pad. As quoted from another post, "The horizontal distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the back of the arm pad." So, it appears that some re-work on your part may be required. Sorry for making a the extra work for you.

Ian,
Have you had an opportunity to take a look since I have been able to determine the where the measurements were taken?

Dirkp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am interested in QR PR6 or PR5 or Canyon Speedmax 8 It will be my first tri bike so here are my body measurements followed by road bike

Height-180cm
Inseam-86 cm

Saddle- 74.3cm
Nose of ISM saddle to bars- 57.2
Saddle setback-12 cm
Current Road bike cranks are 172.5

Canyon 175 -----these big cranks worry me, for fit and gearing - I like to spin
QR 170
Any thoughts on one or the other in terms of fit?
I think from the x,y you estimated 486 and 630 I would be a stock medium?

That being said after reading through the posts here it seems like a good plan to go see a fitter before buying. Do you know of any good fitters in the Boston MA area? Maybe mid-May we will have the go ahead to interact with the world again.
Thanks so much
Donny
Last edited by: donaldalbro: Apr 6, 20 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian. Not sure if this thread is still active but if it is then thanks in advance! I am looking at a Speedmax CF. I am guessing that I am an XL but I want to double check as I am concerned that I won't be able to reduce my pad stack much (should I want to in the future) while maintaining 30mm of spacers under a TriRig Alpha One (apparently that will keep the stem inline with the bento box). By my calculations if I have 30mm of spacers then the mono bar will be at 30. Also, I am not sure if there are any aero advantages to a larger or smaller frame.
Pad Y: 700 (ctr pad)
Pad X: 535
6'5" tall with a 37.5 inseam.
If there is an argument for the Large then I would like to know. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

I am not sure you can help me given that I can’t provide the requested information but I figured I would give it a shot anyway.

Canyon is currently running a nice sale and I figured I would pull the trigger on the Speedmax CF SL 8.0. Thing is, I am somewhat unsure about the frame size. My height is 177 cm and my inseam 84 cm. Their online tool places me at a size m frame. Though at the lower end of the range. At 82 cm inseam it would be a size s.

What’s your view on this. Go with the recommended size or rather size down?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. It’s highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian

As you’ve stated the CF and CF SLX have different geometries would a medium in the CF work with a pad Y of 632 and pad X of 511?

Thank you
Last edited by: Pumphreywj: May 16, 20 6:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next