Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Things to do in Boulder [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are up for an adventure, you could always go hike up a 14er ! The access to Mt Bierstadt is very easy, and after that it is a straight forward 'hike' up to 14K. The summit has lots of boulders and scree, but nothing at all technical.

With the amount of snow, there still might be some up top (just kidding!)

You could also go hike and ski a glacier, St. Mary's is just up I-70 as well.

db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder is fun but I couldn't imagine spending 3-4 days there. As others have said, I'd go to Denver and see the Pearl Street Mall, State capitol and the Arts center. Molly Brown house optional. Brown Palace Hotel tea is fun. I would skip Rapid City (used to live there) and go to Colorado Springs. Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy, Glen Eyrie (tea/tour), Pikes Peak, Broadmoor await. If you want a physical challenge, the Manitou incline is often in the news (I haven't climbed it). Does the Boulder reservoir have a Stroke and Stride while you are there? Fun and low key. You have lots of options.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
If you are up for an adventure, you could always go hike up a 14er ! The access to Mt Bierstadt is very easy, and after that it is a straight forward 'hike' up to 14K. The summit has lots of boulders and scree, but nothing at all technical.

With the amount of snow, there still might be some up top (just kidding!)

You could also go hike and ski a glacier, St. Mary's is just up I-70 as well.

db

2nd a 14er...and agree Bierstadt is a good first one. Evans is also really easy from Summit Lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would be an average total time to figure for Mt. Bierstadt hike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3-4 hours round trip for us. Depends on how you handle the altitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember the exact elevation gain, but going up figure an hour for every 1000 feet.

edit to add link for a description:

https://dayhikesneardenver.com/...il-on-guanella-pass/
Last edited by: Dbeitel: Feb 25, 20 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
Plenty of breweries and Coors is not too far away.

Coors isn't a brewery; it's a factory #fuckcorporatebeer

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://boulderaletrail.org/...uggested_itineraries

Honestly I think Longmont has better breweries than Boulder - but riding bikes on lobo trail between the two and stopping for pints on the way in Gunbarrel would make a good evening.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are things looking in Boulder these days. Still have long weekend planned with friends for end of August. Some guys are still in, some are on the fence. Going to make a decision by next week.

We're figuring we'd do some day hikes in Rocky Mountain park. Most of the things we were originally planning were outdoors. Wondering about dinner/eating out. Do you need reservations everywhere? Originally were planning on grabbing some dinner each night, then hitting a couple of bars. Are bars even open.

Was just away for the weekend. Had to make reservations everywhere, couldn't just pop in to get some food. It wasn't bad, I knew we would have to do it at restaurants, but took some of the fun out of it. And there was a weird atmosphere in the town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bars only are currently closed in all of CO but restaurants are open. BOCO had one spike a few weeks ago of college kids but is running single digits to teens cases a day mostly- so pretty low. A few weeks ago the hospital was completely empty.

Hiking is crazy busy and I think they have a reservation system for RMNP- so definitely check that!

But I think we’re better off than a lot of places. End of aug is anyone’s bet with the college kids due back two weeks before that.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Bars only are currently closed in all of CO but restaurants are open. BOCO had one spike a few weeks ago of college kids but is running single digits to teens cases a day mostly- so pretty low. A few weeks ago the hospital was completely empty.

Hiking is crazy busy and I think they have a reservation system for RMNP- so definitely check that!

But I think we’re better off than a lot of places. End of aug is anyone’s bet with the college kids due back two weeks before that.

Agree with the above. To add:

RMNP requires reservations. But, currently, you can enter by bike without a reservation. So, you can park outside the Park and cycle in (still need to pay the entrance fee). If that does not work for you, I’d get your reservations soon — at recreation.gov. I believe you don’t need a reservation if you arrive (by car) before 6am, but would not count on that option being available when you’re here.

Also agree that Boulder county is doing fine on the Covid numbers. But, lots of policy is decided at the state level. If there is evidence that the surge in AZ is also coming/happening here, we easily could get more restrictions.

For now, you are probably ok without restaurant reservations. But, who knows what that looks like after 8/21, which is the last day for CU student move in? Some popular restaurants have permanently closed. So, with capacity constraints at the remaining restaurants, things could get tight if people start eating out.

Plenty of bars are open ... for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just spent 4 days in the Rockies. Reservations have to be done early, they sellout quick. However you can enter without reservation and with standard fee before 6AM and after 5PM. Trails are packed but typical for this time of year.

Masks are required if you can't social distance but few people were following those rules (saw many TX plates). In Estes Park, it's completely different. At least 80% of people were masking outside around town.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in Boulder [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope things are better in a month. Instead of going to Sturgis I'm riding to Denver where my wife is flying in. Then a week riding back roads with overnights in Laramie, Steamboat, Crested Butte, Telluride, Durango, Colorado Springs (have relatives there), then drop off Mrs justgeorge in Denver and ride back to Cincinnati.

4-6 hours of riding each day then hitting the local hole in the wall bars/restaurants is what we love so let's hope things are open!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply

Prev Next