Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prostate, PSA, and cycling Update
Quote | Reply
So pushing that 50 mark soon- went to the Doc and with history of prostate cancer in family he did PSA test.
Told me there are alot of false positives and the test is not perfect but he wanted one anyway- I agreed and got
a 7.5-which is a "C" if I am in school (75% right :) but not good for PSA result. Told me to cut my biking down to
2x week from 5x/6x and then nothing week of next test (end of April) SOOO....
Any thoughts from others out there. Read some previous stuff on here, etc but any other info/thoughts would be great
Coming off 4 weeks of flu/sinus infection etc so biking was my easy go to for recovery during that time-no more for awhile
Training for IM Moo #4 IN Sept-hate to lose 8 weeks now (better than life down the road I know) Anything I can do to try to
keep some bike fitness over that stretch?
Saw some discussion of seats- ride a Cobb Max on tri bike now and a Prologo on my road bike. Tried to Cobb Tenace and it hurt the
taint so went back to other ride. Doc did say ride with a seat of max padding and max padded shorts-ok can do. I have another Max laying
around and a Cobb JOF- worth trying? Thoughts and experiences?
Otherwise I am going to buy one of those old fogy bike units that sits on the floor and I can ride from my couch- not ideal but-
How about Elliptical? Local Y has one that has adjustable stride length that can really shorten it up to be almost like a bike maybe?
Thanks for any info- can you tell my ADHD is kicking in and that I really want to ride my bike

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Last edited by: mxblues98: Jun 18, 20 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mxblues98 wrote:
Coming off 4 weeks of flu/sinus infection etc ...

Family history here too, learned an awful about PCA when my father went through it...

The fact that you were sick very well could have impacted your PSA test. And your result could also indicate BPH and/or an infection down there.
I know docs here will often start by putting the patient on a round of antibiotics if a first PSA comes back high, then retest a few weeks later.
I think it is unlikely that your bike seat (or sex the night before the test) would cause it to be that high.

My non-professional advice, chill, make sure your cold/flu is fully gone, maybe don't ride bike or have sex for a couple days before next PSA test, and see if it comes back a little lower.
If it comes back roughly the same, or only a little lower, ask about a round of antibiotics, then retest. Then the next step would possibly be biopsy. Thats just me though, and I'm not a doc..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Family and personal history here as well. 55 year old male. Many doctors will tell you that there is no empirical evidence to support the notion that riding a bike causes a spike in PSA levels. I'm convinced from personal experience that it does, especially on a tri saddle. That being said, your PSA score of 7.5 is very elevated for your age...should be closer to 2.5. Whatever you do, make sure to keep your April appointment. I actually would recommend taking two weeks off from riding before the test to get an accurate reading. I get it...you are worried about your fitness for your next race. I was, too, until a biopsy revealed cancer in one of the core samples. My priorities changed in an instant. I do hope that all of this is a false positive for you (which is entirely possible do to the fallacy of the test itself and the fact you were fighting off an infection), but don't be reckless as there will be future races. I hate them, but I might recommend a recumbent bike which is easier on the taint and will help maintain some semblance of bike fitness.Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling [OH Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Definitely keeping the April appt. just kinda frustrated as 2020 has not started kind for training and 2019 was pretty crappy as well. Lost the whole season after getting hit by car.
All good though the universe is telling me that it is about the journey and that breaking 11 at Immoo is not what defines me
Thanks again for info. I will report back in April

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME that is a high number. Definitely stay on top of it and don’t ignore medical advice. I had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with cancer via biopsy. Good news is that there is lots of ways to effectively treat it and better news is you can get really comfortable on a saddle without a prostate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
each person responds differently to saddles, but the JOF55 taught me what an improper saddle (for me) feels like. it ever so slightly curves up at the nose which was a deal breaker for me. i'm still interested in giving the dash stage saddle a try one of these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Prostate Cancer survivor, now 4 years. My father died from it at 79, and his two brothers had it but died from other ailments at 90 plus. Anything over 4.0 is not good and should be considered alarming especially if your results persist over 4.5. I cycle 300 miles a week and have for the last 10 years and I can tell you cycling has nothing to do with prostate cancer. However sexual activity does so if getting tested, make sure you have abstained for 5 days. That being said there are a number of very good books on it. I had mine treated with radiation for 9 weeks 5 days a week and have been totally cancer free. My Gleason score was a 6 out of 10 meaning it was fairly aggressive and needed attention. Find a good Urologist and get a second opinion. While easily treated thru either surgery or radiation, left unattended it can kill you and because when unchecked it metastasizes into the bones around your prostate it becomes a very painful experience as I found out with my Dad.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the info and insight. Kinda freaked a bit but as so many have pointed out-this is "curable?" (right word) Just need to stay on top of it and go with the flow.
May I ask for those who have been treated- which treatment and why? Can PM if too personal a question.
Changed my seat on my road bike to Cobb max from Prologo and wearing my extra padded shorts for next 6 weeks as I limit my biking
Interesting to read and hear different responses. Most evidence seems to point that sex and biking can lead to an artificially high reading for a PSA-we shall see. Interesting as well to read other posts saying how some were asked to take 2 weeks off of biking/etc before retesting. Going with it for 8 weeks and then second opinion as needed.
Thanks again for all the responses and insights

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I initially opted for surgery but years before I had a serious bike crash that involved my pelvic region and thus surgery to remove my prostate was not viable. So my only recourse was beam radiation and it actually turned out for the better choice in many ways. No down time, little physical change or change to my lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother came down with prostate cancer in 2017 and his Gleason score was high. He had focused radiation (Tomotherapy) and then had radioactive pellets implanted. Has been cancer free for a couple of years now.

In 2018 I went in for my annual physical at 62 years old and my PSA was 9.8. Doctor referred me to a urologist and by the time I saw him a month later my PSA had risen to 13! Had a biopsy, which killed my training for a 70.3 I was scheduled to do two months later and forced me to scratch the race.

The good news was that the biopsy showed no cancer! I just had / have a bad case of BPH.

So high, and even very high PSA results don't necessarily signal cancer. To the OP, there is no reason to worry until you have further PSA tests and / or biopsy.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Feb 27, 20 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my father was diagnosed, he was gleason 9, but luckily it had not spread past the seminal vesicles. As part of a study, he was treated with a combo of IMRT radiation, and low dose taxotere chemo. Knock on wood, he has been cancer free for about 8 years now.

My brother, who is 49, just started having issues about a month ago, hard time peeing, some blood in the urine, and what his doc called a very enlarged prostate. His PSA came back elevated but not sure what it was.
He had two tests done
1. Scope into the bladder to rule out anything there
2. Biopsy of the prostate - came back benign.
So he is now being treated with meds for BPH.

So....don't convince yourself you have cancer just yet, but also know there are lots of treatment options.

There is a very active prostate cancer forum at the 'Healingwell' website.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually got back into cycling because I wanted to get fit for my operation to have my prostate removed, that was over 4 years ago , I just clicked up 1000miles this year.
Just wanted to say a diagnosis of cancer is not the end of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling Update [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update and a few questions
Had the test repeated 7.5 again then went for the biopsy
8/12 came back positive for cancer w Gleason score of 7
I decided on robotic prostatectomy and Dr agreed as best option
Surgery was 3 weeks ago and after 4 hrs Dr said all appeared good.
Further biopsy said no evidence of surfacing as Dr called it but “close”
He is almost positive no spreading
Anyway anyone out there with experience with recovery?
Dr said maybe running at 2 weeks but no way no swimming for 6 and nobike for 8
So walking is my friend. 90 min/day is suggested. Was doing 2 45 min walks but did some reading and they suggest 15 min walks 5-6x per day. Really curious about the one issue no one wants to talk about incontinence. Frustrating as get thru night ok but day time movement oy
Thanks for letting me vent
Final thoughts. Get checked. Had I waited another year plus who knows
Thanks again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM me. I’m four years post-op with no (Prostate) cancer and no regrets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear all has gone well.
I work on the other side of the drapes in the robotic prostatectomies. They are long operations but with an excellent recovery profile. Main advice I would give you is that there is no rush to get back to any level of fitness. It is a big operation and hence be guided by your body and how you are feeling. Take your time, it is often better to give things a few more weeks then to try and get back to normal patterns of exercise too quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling Update [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear from someone who gets the tri life.
Hard to hold back but knowing what the negatives of too hard too early can be keeps
me fairly grounded
Any insights for extra healing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had about the same scores as you did but with only a slightly lower PSA but a strong family history of Prostrate Cancer. Mine was removed 2 years ago the same way as you and my DR constantly remarked that bikers heal better than non-bikers. He was very correct. I did get my Dr to agree that I could start on a recumbent Bike at the Club 1st. I think It was 3 or 4 weeks into it and that went great. He said listen to your body and I then started with 5 minutes on the regular bike a few weeks later. Then I increased 5 - 10 Minutes every few days.

Congats on getting it all. For me the bladder adjusted with time. I just learned to take it in stride. When in doubt find the loo. I tried running 2 months ago and was 5 blocks from home when the dam sprung a leak. It was raining out a bit so my shorts were already a bit wet. I laughed the next 4 blocks home. I kind of felt like an elite athlete doing an Ironman.

I agree with you on the Get it checked Boys. After age 40 with a family history and age 50 for all men. The PSA test is done with your regular blood test. The other test isn't as fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate, PSA, and cycling Update [SlowandOld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the recumbent idea- went and bought one of those floor pedal thingies that you can use for arms as well just to pass some time while
sitting on the couch. You said you were back on regular bike at 4 weeks? My Dr said nothing before 8 weeks min.
Interesting- glad to hear that your procedure was a success and the run a few months ago was as well
Just going to have to deal with "it" is what it seems
Thanks
t

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Was on the upright padded seat stationary bike after 4 or 5 weeks. Regular bike with the small hard seat was probably around 8 weeks.
Quote Reply