Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt.
Quote | Reply
This is a shameless attention grab for my son that has ridden his bike to school every day for the last 6 years. He is coming up an day 1000 in a row and wanted to do something special for him. This streak started the first day of kindergarten and is almost over. He has not ridden in a vehicle to school over the last six years. Kinda a big deal because he lives in South Dakota.

Does anyone here have a contact or ideas so I find a little recognition for him? He does so much to inspire local riders and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Please delete if this a terrible idea.

Thanks so much
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No contacts, but just want to say that's pretty awesome!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No contacts, but just want to say that's pretty awesome!

x1000 !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry no contacts

That is freaking AMAZING!

Congrats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is incredible!

I don't know who at USA Cycling would be THE person to contact. I suggest starting with Lindsay Goldman, she is the membership director and answers questions of all types. USACommunique@gmail.com Honestly, I would reach out to CyclingTips They should be interested.

I'll keep thinking on this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say reach out to Lindsay, she's definitely someone who would be interested in this kind of human story.

BTW, this is very cool, and congrats! Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
World record holder Amanda Coker rode her bike rain or shine. She would love to hear story like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no contacts but to heck with the bike industry, call CNN or something, that is worthy of general circulation national news if you ask me! So inspiring! 11 years old, in weather conditions of South Dakota, every day 1000 days, that is the kind of can-do attitude that all Americans should see in this age of reducing carbon footprint and exercising/staying healthy and all that jazz. Dang. That's freakin awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...tell him he is awesome, throw a party for him and his cycling friends, maybe contact a local newspaper. I would be hesitant to throw him under the social media bus.
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he is on a Trek? I know some people there.
Also regardless of who you get a hold of... let him know he is awesome!
Last edited by: Eroc43: Feb 24, 20 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe contact the bike websites? A website is more agile than print, isn't constrained by space and is probably always looking for interesting stories. Once a story is online then it can be picked up easier by other media. The Trek angle is interesting as well. Maybe think about the few bits of kit that have been invaluable and the manufacturers might be interested in the endorsement.

Totally echo the praise from others here. Fantastic achievement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Daddy-O for raising such a freakin awesome kid. Keep us posted on his adventures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the fact that he rode through last winter is pretty amazing!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one of the two most interesting threads on ST this week.

So cool!

Your son rocks!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the kind words. He had a hard ride home today with his cello and saxophone in the trailer. I will let him know about the encouraging words. Tomorrow is a fat bike day for sure. I have some ideas on who to try to contact now.....if they will email back, but I am very open to ideas. He never complains or thinks he needs to be recognized and that is my impetus for him to see that others are happy with his achievement. He has had 8 bikes though this mess...I better try all of them.

Thanks Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add, other than a super awesome story about dedication, self reliance, and perseverance, especially given your/his locale. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on any stories.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Feb 24, 20 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An example for all of us!

I was shamefully taking my car when going alone to the swimming-pool which is a faaar 2.1km (1.3 miles) away. I stopped that this 1st of january and now ride my bike. I never looked back plus this is adding easy miles to the training week!

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan, I work for road.cc - we're definitely interested in giving your boy a shout-out on our daily live blog, drop me an email at jack.sexty@road.cc - preferably with some more photos!

p.s. if Dan E is reading this, we'll definitely stick a link to Slowtwitch on the article :)
Last edited by: jacksexty: Feb 25, 20 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [jacksexty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jacksexty wrote:
Hi Dan, I work for road.cc - we're definitely interested in giving your boy a shout-out on our daily live blog, drop me an email at jack.sexty@road.cc - preferably with some more photos!

p.s. if Dan is reading this, we'll definitely stick a link to Slowtwitch on the article :)

let fly!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [jacksexty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to suggest road.cc, but Jack beat me to it. Also, perhaps bikerumor.com and cyclingtips.com. Both of them carry stories like this at times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Betsy Welch at VeloNews, bwelch@velonews.com

Having a few quality photos to offer will also help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuckhead wrote:
This is a shameless attention grab for my son that has ridden his bike to school every day for the last 6 years. He is coming up an day 1000 in a row and wanted to do something special for him. This streak started the first day of kindergarten and is almost over. He has not ridden in a vehicle to school over the last six years. Kinda a big deal because he lives in South Dakota.

Does anyone here have a contact or ideas so I find a little recognition for him? He does so much to inspire local riders and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Please delete if this a terrible idea.

Thanks so much

How about submitting that photo to GCN on YouTube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome of your son to ride his bike for that long! How long is each ride to school?

Kudos for also riding on a Trek!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Feb 25, 20 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Publication Contacts in Bike industry help..my 11yr old is kicking butt. [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 miles eachb way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When he is old, he can tell his kids.... in my day, I rode my bike to school every day, rain or snow, for over 1000 school days. And it will be true!

PM me. I’m gonna send him something for his bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next