Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I have always wanted to....? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to see if I still have the balls to jump out of an airplane. Made about 300 jumps in my younger days, including one off the New River Gorge Bridge, but I don't know if I have what it takes to try it again. I'd have to do it without my wife's knowledge, so it's not going to happen!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
never had the urge to learn guitar playing but i can see its attraction

i'll add another

How to sharpen and properly employ a hand plane in wood working. i am taking a class up in ATL later this month to remedy this deficit in my tool set.

Oh man... I love sharpening hand tools, I just never have the time to do them myself. It's a labour of love and patience.

But once you have a hand plane properly tuned up... That first pass is amazing. The sound, the see-thru thin, unbroken curly ribbon of wood, the feel of effortlessly gliding over the work, everything about the experience is amazing.

Please. You're making my pants tight.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live in Paris
Write a book
Make a movie

As a kid/teen I played the piano, clarinet, guitar, bass guitar, five string banjo and pedal steer guitar. I’d like to brush up on the guitar now.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learning to play the violin is on my list as well but I’m saving that for later in life.

I’ve got a pretty decent machine shop in my garage but it’s not done by any means. Someday when I have the time I would like to finish it. Along with that I have several projects I’ve wanted to finish:

-a bullpup based around the bolt, bolt extension, barrel, and gas system of AR patterned rifles
-a gas block I designed with a self-regulating counter-balance piston
-other things that might end up being more than glorified paperweights (:

Also always wanted to race Kona. Tour Divide, RAAM, Breck Epic, Leadville, English Channel swim, and Boston Marathon are on my list as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Play at Carnegie Hall (once upon a time, I used to be pretty damn good at playing the piano...)

Build a legit treehouse. Can't do it here, all of the trees are in some stage of infestation or disease, boo.

Visit all three major ancient civilization areas- China, Greece, and Rome. Rome's checked off, now I just need to stabilize an entire country's economy and cure the current Coronavirus ;)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also love to restore an old car. A friend completely rebuilt a 1964 Mustang.

I'm looking to do that when I slow down work and have started looking for the kind of car that I'd rebuild but it's a long way off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Become fluent in a foreign language
Learn to play guitar (however, like you, my musicality is very suspect)
Skydive
Hang glide
Ride up the Alpe d’Huez
Write a book
Own a Great Pyr

ETA: Own a high performance motorcycle and learn to ride it well without killing myself or becoming an organ donor.

Last edited by: spot: Feb 15, 20 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confirm intelligent life exists in the universe.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two other things...

Train an agility dog
Thruhike the Continental Divide Trail. I have already done the PCT and the AT. The trifecta would feel good.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two thumbs up on the CDT

Did a moto/fly fishing post after one of my Afhgan tours.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few people have mentioned Kona. I did not think that I could ever do Kona. Then they introduced the Legacy program, so last year I was able to go. It was an awesome experience.

I have always wanted to go to Egypt and see the pyramids. Twice we planned to go and the middle east flared up and we cancelled our plans. Currently we are booked to go in April. Just hoping that the coronavirus does not impact on our plans.
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride in the Trans Am race is one on my list, vacuum dredging for gold on my own dredge is another. I've barely started the electric guitar but that is going slower than expected. I'd like to be a part of (any part) of an HPV team and make a trip to Battle Mountain to experience what a flat out sprint looks like that would draw a speeding ticket on a US highway.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Explore Italy and Greece. And then Egypt.

Stand in against a major league pitcher, hopefully one that has a wicked 12 to 6 curveball.

Do an IM after 50 years of age. I got the age part down already.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote

Stand in against a major league pitcher, hopefully one that has a wicked 12 to 6 curveball.[/quote]
Be sure to wink at him, to make him think that you know something. Just like Moonlight Graham. : )

As much as I love the James Earl Jones speech in that movie, this scene means just as much to me as far as capturing the love of the game.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride a big cool motorbike like Honda Africa Twin across Africa
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Dive with great white sharks. Cage or if I could work it out without.

-visit the pyramids and some of the remote settlements near the Libyan border. Had long standing and paid for plans to do just that spring 2001. Didn’t work out.

-publish a novel. It’s a work in progress
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn and remember my family’s history: Norwegian lore, settlers in Minnesota & Montana, recent history involving my grandparents and parents. The old stories of Viking are as mysterious as my pioneering grandparents and my hippie parents.

Do epic endurance events with my loved ones. Latest idea: I want 1 bike per 2 runners and we alternate running and biking over vast distances. So far, my son and I have done up to 6 miles with fairly equal splitting of run/bike. I want to run/bike from our house to Robertos taco shop near North Torrey Pines beach, for a grand total of 18 miles. We’ll bring $ for cokes and tacos. We’d catch a ride home. I think maybe in 2 or 3 years?

Hike pilgrim trails in Italy, France, Spain.
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Skydive
Hang glide
Ride up the Alpe d’Huez
Write a book
Own a Great Pyr

ETA: Own a high performance motorcycle and learn to ride it well without killing myself or becoming an organ donor.

Can’t help you with most of your list, but owner owning a Pyr is easy. Just do it. You will never regret it, although bank on about 10 years. The only downside is they don’t live long enough.
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to ride Dakar and whilst I woll say the cost or prohibitive, the reality is I lack the ability and skill to even contemplate it on a bike.

The new buggy category actually does make it more achievable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
learn to play chess well enough to have a good pickup game anywhere in the world, no matter what the local language.

it's totally doable, just application.
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
spot wrote:
Skydive
Hang glide
Ride up the Alpe d’Huez
Write a book
Own a Great Pyr

Can’t help you with most of your list, but owner owning a Pyr is easy. Just do it. You will never regret it, although bank on about 10 years. The only downside is they don’t live long enough.

Well, there's the whole convincing of the wife bit, though...

Quote | Reply
quit my job and make things out of wood/metal/concrete.
race super bikes.
attend the isle of mann TT.
go to ireland and have a meaningful, one week relationship with a fair skinned, red-haired, freckled faced, large breasted irish waitress/bartender.

the first three are still possible i guess. the last one would be so expensive i cant do it. the divorce would cost too much.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
..play bass with the Wrecking Crew on the 'Good Vibrations' recording sessions. Or the 'Twelve Thirty/Young Girls Are Coming to the Canyon' sessions..

But if going back in time isn't happening, I'll settle for having enough time to really get to know Scandinavia. A couple of months at a minimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted to...

Go on epic motorcycle tours of north America. Maybe ride down the Baja. Step one, get my Moto license!

Do more solo travel trips. Last one was before I met my wife, I spent several months slowly making my way from Como to Sicily with no real timeline or agenda. It was an amazing experience. that kind of trip isn't really in the cards with a wife, toddler, dog and business to run at home :-).

Go back to school and change careers. I like what I do now, but I can see myself wanting a change within the next 10 years. I make decent money and enjoy the flexibility, but the stress is reasonably high and my industry can be volatile. I'd like to get out before a downturn, when many in my position might be in the same boat.

ETA. Build a proper workshop and have the time to enjoy building things in it. Teach my daughter how to build furniture, houses, etc.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: LCtriguy1: Feb 16, 20 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: I have always wanted to....? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
chriskal wrote:
spot wrote:
Skydive
Hang glide
Ride up the Alpe d’Huez
Write a book
Own a Great Pyr

Well, there's the whole convincing of the wife bit, though...

Just tell her that I promise they don't shed. BTW - those are 12" tiles.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next