Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does only riding indoors make you fat ?
Quote | Reply
When I used to ride/race outdoors it was easy to put down that donut cause I could almost feel the pain being dished out when I had to get over a hill. Good feed back loop.. pain

Now that I ride/race more indoors my weight (at that moment in time) doesn’t really matter. It is what I put in 6 months ago. I can go ahead and have that donut

I don’t find myself getting on the scale nearly as often. Why bother.

Is riding indoors a great way to be fit fat ? Eat all that I want and not feel any direct pain from it ?
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of indoor training do you do? Zwift? Or other?

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're racing in zwift won't it affect you as you should be entering a correct weight? also, if you're happy in general and your health is good I wouldn't worry about it. I you're eeking out performance gains for races and such but personally I'm not worrying about eating a donut now and again. If I'm eating donuts everyday that's different.
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
if you're racing in zwift won't it affect you as you should be entering a correct weight? also, if you're happy in general and your health is good I wouldn't worry about it. I you're eeking out performance gains for races and such but personally I'm not worrying about eating a donut now and again. If I'm eating donuts everyday that's different.

If not donuts, how else do you fuel your zwift sessions!?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the opposite - with a more regimented interval plan ie Trainerroad, I'm able to get in better shape and eat healthier at home vs eating out after a long outdoor ride. (I live in Chicago, so my rides usually end at my car, not home). You may also just not be riding as hard indoors on Zwift as you would outdoors.

That being said, I'm about to blow my brains out after 3 hrs on the trainer, while I could ride all day outside. It's all about what motivates you. Also make sure your updating your weight in Zwift, you'll "feel" it more then with loss of w/kg.
Last edited by: ADabs: Feb 14, 20 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find the same thing, riding hills makes me aware of extra pounds and is a good motivator to lose them. Running is good for weight control for the same reason.

Maybe try riding indoors wearing bibs only and with a large mirror nearby. Bonus points if you train in a garage or basement with harsh fluorescent lights to show your physique in it's worst possible state...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the indoor riding and not the donut eating that is the root cause of the problem!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it does for sure! The more hours you log indoor riding the fatter you will get !! If you stop all indoor riding then you will automatically lose weight :)

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get what you’re saying, but it sounds like you have a diet issue and not a training issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but none of this makes any sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition, your indoor rides are likely shorter than your outdoor rides, hence fewer calories burned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever adjust the trainer difficulty in Zwift? If you haven't, set it to 100% and you'll feel those hills a lot more...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll feel a superficial tired after a hard 1.5 hour on Zwift but nothing like that deep fatigue that comes out in the road when you go out 2 hours and HAVE to get back to the car/home for another 2 hour on the return.

What are you gonna do , hitch hike ?
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [jth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jth wrote:
In addition, your indoor rides are likely shorter than your outdoor rides, hence fewer calories burned

And being closer to the fridge means a mid ride cookie ice cream snack is always available! 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIding indoors is a good way to bypass easy/recovery kms/miles. Training outside usually involves riding to/from a stretch of road, a hill, or finishing a training session 30km from home. Inside I can get started on a workout within 5 minutes and be done with a few minutes easy spinning. The incentive to step off the bike and get to more important things as soon as the work is done is strong indoors.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, eating more calories than you burn makes you fat.
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought a smart scale. Weigh every morning and it updates Zwift. It actually has killed my indoor training as my old scale was 10 lbs lighter. It's amazing how much difference it makes. Can't wait to drop the 10 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which smart scale did you get? I've heard they are quite popular now. I weigh myself almost daily, but leave zwift a few pounds heavier just because, but the nice weather lately has curtailed the indoor riding a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
When I used to ride/race outdoors it was easy to put down that donut cause I could almost feel the pain being dished out when I had to get over a hill. Good feed back loop.. pain

Now that I ride/race more indoors my weight (at that moment in time) doesn’t really matter. It is what I put in 6 months ago. I can go ahead and have that donut

Is riding indoors a great way to be fit fat ? Eat all that I want and not feel any direct pain from it ?
Well I think we see your problem. You're lying to yourself, and everyone else.
If you don't weigh what you did 6 months ago, you should have been updating the weight entered.
I update mine whenever my weight varies by 1kg. No point being proud of a race win (or more often 20th since I went up to Cat B), if it's on false pretences.
I actually find Zwift a real incentive to lose weight because you can instantly see the difference, especially in your climbing ability, whenever your weight changes much. You're just not using it properly.

So, in summary.
It's not training indoors that's causing you a problem. It's your willingness to cheat (both yourself and others, but mostly yourself).

If you want to ride outdoors and not worry about donuts, get an e-bike or take EPO. It amounts to the same thing as intentionally using an inaccurate weight on Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Trainerroad and my trainer, I have a power meter. On the road, I do not. I did an entire season of training 100% on TrainerRoad. I lost 20 pounds, and I was already skinny. Went from 154lbs to 134lbs.

At least on the trainer, I have a pretty accurate representation of calories burned.
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
Which smart scale did you get? I've heard they are quite popular now. I weigh myself almost daily, but leave zwift a few pounds heavier just because, but the nice weather lately has curtailed the indoor riding a bit.

I bought the Withings Body+.
https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very happy with the purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

To state it as simply as possible; too much in and too little out makes you fat.
Quote Reply
Re: Does only riding indoors make you fat ? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in pan flat houston, and I work strange hours. In lieu of riding outside, I spend a lot of time on my tacx trainer doing GPS rides in the Texas hill country. I feel every extra pound every time the road tilts up, so it definitely motivates me to stay away from the ice cream and beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch to a scale that gives you a lower number.
Quote Reply