Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley
Quote | Reply
Anyone else knock out as many miles per week as this man? On a bike, even? I saw one of his recent workouts on Strava. 31 mile run at 5:34 pace. Says he won't hire a coach because no American coach would agree with his weekly mileage target. Excited to see how he runs at the Olympic trials in Atlanta at the end of this month.

https://www.runnersworld.com/...pic-marathon-trials/
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [spencer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently, not many guys are running those kind of miles. Jim does serious vertical as well.
Historically, there are a few guys who have run those kinds of miles. Gerry Lindgren always comes to mind.

To my knowledge, Jim never really looked into a coach. (We have a very close mutual friend and Jim's slept on my couch a few times) I have coached an American to a UTMB podium. But we've never talked training. Jim enjoys getting out and seeing cool shit. And, challenges. He loves a good challenge. His training is built around those two things. And I think it serves him well.

Jim is a thoughtful and intelligent guy. He might over reach now and then, but it's a calculated risk.

I'm excited for the Trials as well. I hear that Comrades is the bigger goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also a good piece in the NY Times on Walmsley:

https://www.nytimes.com/...&pgtype=Homepage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty impressive / motivating

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it is motivating. How in the world does one eat enough to replace the calories lost for this high volume of running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spencer99 wrote:
I agree that it is motivating. How in the world does one eat enough to replace the calories lost for this high volume of running?

Yeah his nutrition is something I’d like to know more about. He must be a very efficient low cal burning runner. But still, with all that volume, he’s probably eating all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spencer99 wrote:

Oh I can do the eating half of this equation 🙄... just not the running half of it 🤣
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree that it is motivating. How in the world does one eat enough to replace the calories lost for this high volume of running? //

Well from the article, those 175 weeks were the biggest, and it looks like he averages just under a 100mpw for the year. So in hours, it is probably from about 20 to a high of 30 hours a week, so less than most ironman pro triathletes. They all seem to get enough calories, so imagine runners who have such an incentive to stay on the low line of body fat, have no problem getting enough to eat. To me, just the pounding of all those miles and staying injury free is the real talent. Looking forward to him unleashing whatever secret training has done in the trials coming up..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ron Hill.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Bedford springs to mind. I used to do c. 100mpw. Certainly kept the weight down.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
spencer99 wrote:

Yeah his nutrition is something I’d like to know more about. He must be a very efficient low cal burning runner. But still, with all that volume, he’s probably eating all the time.

Here's a bit more about his diet: https://www.si.com/...unner-diet-nutrition
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pizza and beer most days? That I could stick too, but I think I tried that diet and it didn't work out well for me when I wasn't 20 anymore.

His Strava shows 700 hours/year or almost 14 hours / week for 2019 and 2018, from what I read I think he posts all his runs there.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There seems a runner like this every 4 years, only to fall straight down a cliff from the mountain they climbed. anton krupicka, etc. I am cheering for Jim as he will be the only athlete so far not to use carbon stack bouncy shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did use the Hoka Carbon X to set the 50 mile world record.
I don't know the make up of that shoe, but name implies it might have carbon plate. No idea how it compares to the Nike/Adidas/Asics/Brooks versions.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the pizza and beer post runs. I don’t always drink that much beer but I love pizza.

The pizza and beer at the Augusta 70.3 finish is always a highlight for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if he used that shoe when he hit OTQ with a 1:04:00 half. He also ran that pace at RnR AZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He had a prototype for all of his focused training leading into 50 mile World record.
I don't know the exact timeline, but he would have had the shoes right around his 1:04. My guess is he did not use them in the 1:04. If he did, they would have asked him to tell people about it.
He certainly had the shoes for the more recent 1:02:14 (short course by 280 meters)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Wonder if he used that shoe when he hit OTQ with a 1:04:00 half. He also ran that pace at RnR AZ

Hello,

for his RnR Arizona half marathon he used the Hoka Carbon Rocket (carbon plate, but not much cushion), as seen in pictures.

For most of his tempo work he was using this shoes (as Fauble do also). Now apparently they both test the new Hoka race model.

This new Hoka model (there is a specific thread about that) can be seen in video from Scott Fauble and the photo on Jim Strava from Pemberton 50k few day ago. Apparently it is an evolution of the carbon rocket.... as per Ben Rosario.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s right...and the Japanese don’t get nearly enough credit for how deep they are in men’s marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is spot on, I've followed Ultramarathons since 2012, the only names you still hear about in the top 5 from then is Kilian Jornet, but he rarely races anymore. Jim is easily the most talented Ultrarunner in regards to the times he put up in College so it will be very interesting to see how he does.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the kind of guy that could use a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar

Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
This is spot on, I've followed Ultramarathons since 2012, the only names you still hear about in the top 5 from then is Kilian Jornet, but he rarely races anymore. Jim is easily the most talented Ultrarunner in regards to the times he put up in College so it will be very interesting to see how he does.

Matt Daniels is newish to ultra running and has a sub 4 min mile to his credit [/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnald wrote:
This is spot on, I've followed Ultramarathons since 2012, the only names you still hear about in the top 5 from then is Kilian Jornet, but he rarely races anymore.

There are several others. Here is just one https://www.gobroncobilly.com/about-jeff-browning/

Btw, I feel like there are only a handful of athletes who stay in the top 5 of any sport for 8+ years. It is not unique to ultramarathoners.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 175 Mile Weeks - Jim Walmsley [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Hello,

for his RnR Arizona half marathon he used the Hoka Carbon Rocket (carbon plate, but not much cushion), as seen in pictures.

For most of his tempo work he was using this shoes (as Fauble do also). Now apparently they both test the new Hoka race model.

This new Hoka model (there is a specific thread about that) can be seen in video from Scott Fauble and the photo on Jim Strava from Pemberton 50k few day ago. Apparently it is an evolution of the carbon rocket.... as per Ben Rosario.

So question is, how much of an effect does this shoe have vs the Nike vaporfly next?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live and how much trail running do you do?
Quote Reply

Prev Next