Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks David for chiming in. I do believe that PD will make this right, and appreciate your input on the product.

One of the highlights for me of the ultimate bar was actually the length of the pursuit bar. Even as a short guy, I would ran the pursuit bar at full length and put a tremendous torque on the bar. Glad to know that was part of the design target.

P.S. Ideally, I would like to have had a 120mm / 130mm aeria ultimate stem, and understand that's probably a very niche market (and probably even heavier than it already is). Also really appreciate bringing the HSF bracket for 1/seventeen to market. To me, it's a problem solver, so I can go back into a narrow elbow position (I am actually more comfortable with my elbows close together)
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Feb 7, 20 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a bit of an insight into the design process - I model an array of body proportions in a variety of fit styles, then calculate what % coverage a design pattern will deliver.
That is why all the new gen PD product is focused on high granularity in a useful range.
Cut offs are made that exclude extrema that would negatively affect the usability for the majority user, or the financial viability of the project.
In the case of the 130mm AU stem - that was a financial viability call. (plus it would have weighed ~600g!!)
For high end product there is always the fall back of "modular bars/stems will serve this extreme use case"
This design approach is even more critical in the next gen product that is being worked on as riders start to expect more from their bars.

The HSF stem faceplate is one of my simpler/cheaper ideas but I rate it as one of the better ones. The bottle is significantly faster than going without, but having to get an expensive stem to be able to use it limits accessibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to SLOWMAN (Dan) and CYCLENUTNZ (David)

So, having come to this forum, this is what happened;

Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate II T4 Carbon Aerobar - recall.

On Tuesday 28th January, I sent the recalled base bar to the sales office in the UK for the purpose of a replacement bar.

Website contact:
Some time passed and on Friday last week I was discussing the issue on this site, where I was fortunate to be put into contact with Ian Scott, Profile Design, New Zealand - Thank you Dan and David.

Incredible service:
Ian (living in New Zealand) arranged for an immediate replacement for me within 24 hrs, had it couriered to his home address and personally hand delivered it to me having flown into MELBOURNE, Australia yesterday morning.

I met with Ian this afternoon who handed me the base bar (complete with a complimentary cap).

No issues, no waiting, no fuss, no forms, nothing but a desire to get me back racing in a few weeks. I have never experienced any service quite like this before - it is incredible!

Going forward:
Needless to say, I have a perfect and better base bar and can be back IM racing within weeks.

Overall:
I am extremely grateful, overwhelmingly so as to how this happened. Ian really must be given the uttermost of praise for his ability to work with people, his articulate and very polite manner and complete professionalism - what an asset to the industry - reassures you that there are some incredibly smart and caring folk in this world, what an amazing professional, and a breath of fresh air!

I think this forum has loyal new reader, and PD a new customer, certainly for New Zealand!

Thank you so much Ian - thank you also Dan and David for your connection to assist me too.

I am very grateful to you all.

Very Best regards Ian (GO, PD NEW ZEALAND).

blessings
Paul

Sent from my iPhone
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [P7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all's well that ends well!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered the ultimate bar , I’ve previously been using the normal aeria version. Do normal brake cables make the bend from bars to stem ok? Or have people been using the compressionless like jagwire ??
Also is there a neat way of hiding the etap cables from the aero bar shifters ? I’d like to have a completely cable free setup
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When using di2 with the junction in the extension, How does the cable exit the extension? - through the hole near the shifter?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aeroport sits slightly off the back of the extension so there is room for the cable to pass out

edited to add pic once I found it
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Aug 12, 20 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there

Dies the system come with different stack heights that can be fixed/unfixed at the point of bike fit? I’ve had my aeria system in place did so long now the shop can’t recall if there were different size stacks when it was fresh out the box.

I need to raise from the current 40mm to a 70mm apparently according the recent fitter who put me in the guru machine and transferred the measurements to the bike.

Thanks for any advice.
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [P7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Page 5 of the Instructions might be useful
The bar came with all the bolts needed for every stack option.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any advice on getting the arm pads any closer together? I've tried a couple of things, but I can't seem to get them close enough for my liking. I don't necessarily need my forearms touching, but close.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t know, But why so close? Can you still get your head Down?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is 125mm centre to centre (5") with Ergo armrests. There really aren't many bars that go narrower than that.
If you have the F40/Boom armrests then you would need to change those - they're intended for wide positions, not narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those new rubberized pads?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, new material. Much better than the cloth covered ones when you have to sanitise between fits.
No, I don't know when they are available. Should only be a couple more months I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my setup pulled in as close as I can get them. I think I have the Ergo armrests? Mine are nowhere near as close as yours are. The image below is from the Slowtwitch article about the bars just showing the bracket itself.

Last edited by: sommer: Sep 1, 20 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can slide your pads in another set of holes by placing the bolts fore and aft vs side by side.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That made a big difference! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I could help.

sommer wrote:
That made a big difference! Thanks.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were a great help explaining to me about a year ago various fit aspects of the aeria ultimate.

For a number of reasons, I never got a chance to do my build then and just recently started to revisit the project. I discovered that I had one of the bars that was subject to the recall. Profile Design was absolutely fantastic about the replacement process and I now have the new bar. My aeria ultimate stem has also been upgraded from the original version to the newer version and I have the 35c+ extensions so I can use the aeroport.

When I was on the Profile Design site, I noticed two versions of the aeria ultimate were listed: the aeria ult/ergo/35c+ and the aeria ult/f40/t4. I assume my original setup was the latter and my current setup is the former. What I need your help with is that the adjustment range for stack and reach appears to be different between the two. Is there actually a difference and if so, based on the aeria parts I currently have, what adjustability do I have?

Thanks again for your patience!
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [clamato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, your original was the latter option.

The differences are:
- angle of the grip: T4 = 30deg, 35C+ = 35deg
- If you've got the ergo armrests then the effective width is less and there are minor differences in reach

The apparent differences on the website aren't correct. I guess I should talk to someone about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the steerer tube clamp bolt size (M5x14 or M6x14)? My LBS lost one of the bolts when they cut my steerer, and annoyingly the instruction sheet doesn't include a parts list.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The instruction sheets can be catalogued as BC (before cyclenutnz) and AD (after David or Anno Domini, take your pick). The stem IS is BC. The current complete bar IS is AD
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2357/3659/files/PFD_Aeria_Ultimate_Aerobar_IS_English_Rev.0.pdf?439
Have a look at page 9 to see that it is M5x14
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
What's the steerer tube clamp bolt size (M5x14 or M6x14)? My LBS lost one of the bolts when they cut my steerer, and annoyingly the instruction sheet doesn't include a parts list.

I would recommend finding a different bike shop if they can't figure out what size bolt they need.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

I would recommend finding a different bike shop if they can't figure out what size bolt they need.

I did---Me. I normally do all my own work.

I only used them to cut the steerer tube, because I was being lazy...and it was back at the beginning of the lock-down, I'd just had my surgery, and I figured I'd do "something" (however small) for the LBS. I didn't notice the bolt was missing until I started going over it this weekend with a thought of actually riding the thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I please buy you a steerer tube cutting guide?

(I am assuming that you already have a hacksaw.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next