Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced
Quote | Reply
So how much faster will these be?

https://news.nike.com/...lphafly-next-percent

Last edited by: cxrider: Feb 5, 20 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably minimally... but YES!!! I am thrilled to see it being released, doesn't seem to detail if they tempered stack height but it appears to be quite high. Given they teased it on the Olympic team outfit, I have to imagine they brought to within the limits so pros could wear it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And people say Hokas are ugly...

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I want this. Any sense of its legality for IM branded races?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Tempo FE looks interesting. With Zoom X foam coming down to what looks like the old Zoom Fly level, the quick lace system on these could be interesting if the weight isn't egregious and they are fast.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
I feel like I want this. Any sense of its legality for IM branded races?

I'll bet anything WTC never considers banning this. The only way that may happen is if the PTO actually does take-over WTC.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to believe that stack height is 40mm, but I'm sure it's right on

They needed to get these out ASAP to get compliant with the 4 month rule

More interesting to me is the Alphafly track spike
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

Fast is beautiful

Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Hard to believe that stack height is 40mm, but I'm sure it's right on

They needed to get these out ASAP to get compliant with the 4 month rule

More interesting to me is the Alphafly track spike

WSJ detailed both of these questions which I also had. Apparently 39.5mm stack height and April 30th is the magic date (I thought it would be April 8th, being exactly 4 months from the women's marathon, but it seems I was wrong)

https://www.wsj.com/...mpic-ban-11580929200

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Last edited by: hadukla: Feb 5, 20 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike, take my money!

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw it described as just under 40mm stack and a Feb release for members...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:

Fast is beautiful

Yes, this.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget minimal running... shoe stack limit is set... The 'maximal running' era has begun
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 5, 20 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike is absolutely crushing it. If the Next (or soon Alphafly) doesn't work for you--you are at a disadvantage. If you don't get them for some "principled" reason, you are making a mistake.

However, as a PSA, I'd like to caution all M60-64 YOs to not use them--they are not built for our Age Group!

Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m very curious about the weight. Would this be heavier or lighter than current Next% or same?
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I’m very curious about the weight. Would this be heavier or lighter than current Next% or same?

My uneducated guess is heavier given the addition of zoom air but they also made a new knit for this so maybe that saves weight? I wonder as well if this new knit doesn't hold water like the flyknit did, I was expecting the alphafly to have the vaporweave since that was the fix for wet racing.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that Ironman branding I see on them? ;)

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how are these Nike shoes comfy/cushy factor when compared to Hokas? I have a lot of experience running in Bondis, Cliftons, and Rincons.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Forget minimal running... shoe stack limit is set... The 'maximal running' era has begun

The maximal running era started 6 years ago with the original Hoka Clifton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Christopher McDougall is releasing a new book and his publisher has a few different titles there deciding on:

Dude, Where's my Vibrams?

Tarahumara Run in the New Negative%

My Bad, I was Wrong. We Were Actually Born to Pay Nike Butt-Loads of Money for Maximally Engineered Foot Propulsion Devices Disguised as Running Shoes

Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
So how are these Nike shoes comfy/cushy factor when compared to Hokas? I have a lot of experience running in Bondis, Cliftons, and Rincons.

I’ve been running on those for a while. If you like them, you will like Nikes and mostly likely, you will have PR on a lot of courses.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drop??
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% is officially announced [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Ran religiously in every version of the Clifton to date. The Nike Next% shoes are much "bouncier" and have considerably more "cushioned feel". Almost like running on Memory Foam. Clifton's feel firm by comparison, IMO. Even my Peg Turbo35's that have no carbon plate; but are half React Foam/ half ZoomX foam feel "cushier" than my Hokas.

The black magic in the Nike shoes is primarily the ZoomX foam. It's very light, very soft, and you get a spring-load return boost with every stride. Best I can describe it is super-spring memory foam feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner’s World says AlphaFly Next % available to NikePlus members on 2/29.

Also the Tempo Next% will not be legal for the Olympics but it’s no big deal. It’s a mix of Zoom X foam and React foam with a composite plate like original Zoom Fly not Carbon.

Both will be legal in Ironman because if they choose to ban the Tempo Next % on stack height they will have to take a hard look at Hoka One One too. Don’t look at the stack height listed on the website. The measurement is total height. Measurements on brand websites are midsole only straight off the blueprint. Add EVA Stobel broads,outsole rubber and you get full stack height.

Finally as the ruling from last Friday was a gift to Nike. The AlphaFly is 2 years or more ahead of where any brand is at this moment. I’m not suggesting it’s a better shoe because the shoe is only as good as how it matches up with the runner.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply

Prev Next