Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Magic5 goggles
Quote | Reply
I'm have had a tough time finding goggles that don't leak. I've tried a number of different brands. Some fit OK, but all leak, at least somewhat.
Has anyone tried Magic5 goggles? Any success? Pricey, but if they work...
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

I just switched to socket rockets. I'm liking them so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few people recommended them in a thread i saw on fb, saying they were grear. That is about the best feedback i can give.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
I'm have had a tough time finding goggles that don't leak. I've tried a number of different brands. Some fit OK, but all leak, at least somewhat.

Arena Cobra Ultra.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
No.

I just switched to socket rockets. I'm liking them so far.

Just FYI...The sporti premium goggles from swimoutlet are the same as the socket rockets and only cost $3.00
https://www.swimoutlet.com/...p-26589/?color=59399
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair and have had ~5 swims in them. What can I say... They are a goggle, they don't leak, they don't fog (haven't had to spit in them yet), visibility is pretty good. So what more could you want?

They feel pretty good, no worse than the sometimes leaky vanquisher 2's I was using. They have a very nice carrying case, quality seems pretty good, I think they will hold up fairly well.

Would I spend the money again? Probably. But at this point I am not willing to spend the money for a second clear pair to use in the pool.
Last edited by: matthew173: Jan 25, 19 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:

What have you tried?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember all the models off the top of my head, but two types of Aquasphere (Kaiman, Kayanne), two Speedos, the mask style (seal something?), Tyr, Nike. All fit well in the store, but leak when I swim.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
I don't remember all the models off the top of my head, but two types of Aquasphere (Kaiman, Kayanne), two Speedos, the mask style (seal something?), Tyr, Nike. All fit well in the store, but leak when I swim.

Are they all "open water" style goggles?

In my experience, smaller "competition style" goggles work better for more people, partly because the nose bridge is adjustable or interchangeble, and partly because they fit more securely inside the eye socket rather than around the eye. I use speedo "speed sockets" in competition, and they are like suction cups. I can feel the suction pull when I take them off, they are that secure, and have literally NEVER leaked. I like to keep them in good shape, so I use swede style in training, which once in a while will leak, but only because they have a cheap latex strap that stretches out over time. If I forget to periodically tighten them, then they might leak.

I just bought a pair of Blueseventy swedes, which came with a silicone strap, so they might be better.

The big open water style goggles never work for me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was very surprised that 'theMagic5' came with 3 different nose bridges. If they are custom made for me... why do they need to give different nose bridges? Really it is just the molding around the socket that is custom made, and the nose piece that it was assembled with fit without issue (which never happens - I always have to switch to a larger one) but it just kind of struck me as funny.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Tri2beReal [ In reply to ]
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tri2beReal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do arena Cobra Ultra or Core fit her? If so problem solved... honestly if you had 3D printer patterns for the nose pieces on a bunch of the top race goggles that would be a better idea than Magic5.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just take her to the store and try a bunch of different styles. Then get a pair of swedes.... ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you are trying goggles that have multiple nose bridges; I've found that is key to getting a good fit/seal (and having it hold up over an an extended period...I've found the silicone frames stretch out over time). Personally I've had good luck with the Aquasphere K180 (not the K180+). Speedo Vanquishers also work well for me, but are not as comfortable, and the gasket is not as accommodating.

When you do find a pair that work well, buy half a dozen so you have some after the discontinue or "improve" them.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced someone on their small staff and he spoke a little about his goggles. I decided I was sick of being blinded by sunrises in races with my mirrored Vanquisher 2s and I purchased a pair for OWS only. He saw my name come across and actually gave me a small discount, but I'd have happily paid full price knowing what i do now.

I have now raced at LP and Kona in them and done several outdoor training swims and I've never been able to see everything in and out of the water as clearly as I can with these on. I usually make sure the nose piece is tight when I put them on (It appears they've fixed this problem now), but otherwise they've been everything I hoped. I don't wont them as loose as they advertise but much looser than I did with my vanquishers. I still use clear vanquisher 2 in the pool because I have several pairs I bought on sale to use up.

So, to conclude: Perfect for OWS.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had issues with my first pair leaking but I will give a 5* review on their customer service because they worked with me until I had a pair that wouldn't leak. Now I wouldn't buy a pair from another manufacturer. Are they pricey? Yes. Do I think that they are worth it? Yes. Do I spit in them? Yes but maybe that's just my own habit/security. Crystal clear vision in and out of water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been reviewing goggles lately for my channel. I've been reluctantly impressed with the Magic5 goggles. My gut feeling was that they were doing some minor adjustments to eye spacing but that was incorrect. It's a 3d custom gasket based on the face scan. The nose bridge can be switched out. The 'custom' part is the gasket not the nose bridges.

The custom gasket doesn't have a ton of plush wiggle room so the scan has to be done correctly for them to work. And my experience is that they really do work well.

My normal goggles are $7. So $50+ is kind of a stretch. Crazy but I actually think they're worth it. They might actually be worth more. They come with a nice case and I can't imagine something like this going for much less.

That being said, they do have a subscribe pricing model which might be smart for people that love these goggles. Saves you about 30% making the goggles under $40. I'll probably circle back and do another review of these goggles after 100 days or maybe 100k of swimming but for now I think they're pretty solid.

YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [matthew173] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthew173 wrote:
I bought a pair and have had ~5 swims in them. What can I say... They are a goggle, they don't leak, they don't fog (haven't had to spit in them yet), visibility is pretty good. So what more could you want?

They feel pretty good, no worse than the sometimes leaky vanquisher 2's I was using. They have a very nice carrying case, quality seems pretty good, I think they will hold up fairly well.

Would I spend the money again? Probably. But at this point I am not willing to spend the money for a second clear pair to use in the pool.

Do they eliminate "goggle eyes"? They're advertised as not leaving typical goggle eye marks due to the custom fit, which is why I'm thinking of trying them. I'm not a vein person either, but I did a 100 X 100y swim a couple weeks ago and it looked like a bee stung me in both eye sockets. I also swim at the gym and then run. And although I'm happily married for 19 years, I'd rather not look like a raccoon running on a gym TM :)

I currently wear TYR Special Ops cause they're one of the few brands that fit my face and don't leak. But the soft gaskets wreak havoc on my eye sockets, and I don't even wear them tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 20, 20 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [mlegrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They come with a nice case
---

In all my years of swimming, I've never seen anyone actually use a case for goggles. It's either toss them in the locker or toss them in a bag. What's the point of a goggle case?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep a couple of “nice” pairs of goggles for race day, with lenses that aren’t all scratched and beat to hell. I throw those in a case so I can easily find them in my drawer of race day stuff.

Regular everyday training goggles just get thrown in my gear bag with everything else.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep a couple of “nice” pairs of goggles for race day, with lenses that aren’t all scratched and beat to hell.
---

I've tried that in the past (sans case). What I've learned through the years is that I like to race in the pair that I currently train in. They seem to be more 'dialed in' to my current levels of comfort and expectation. When I've kept a special pair just for racing, that's when I've had goggle malfunction. The training goggles seem to have more trust come race day.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How’s their anti fog?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For fifty freaking dollars they should come with a carbon fiber case!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t trust any goggle company’s anti fog. I feel like they all work great for two weeks and then you’re on your own.
I’ll do another review of these goggles after 100 days or 100km but I probably won’t blame or give much credit to how well their anti fog coating holds up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

YouTube
Quote Reply

Prev Next