Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Late post, but 60 days in, with all those doing rate of at least 1 a day and under 5km pace:

1 danstu4 4:14/km
2 Sbernardi 4:18/km
3 JeffJ 4:33/km
4 PomDad 4:36/km
5 synthetic 4:39/km
6 Bass 4:39/km
7 twcronin 4:40/km
8 ADabs 4:43/km
9 qintegral 4:44/km
10 snny 4:44/km
11 PMo 4:44/km
12 triczyk 4:49/km
13 Tony.White 4:50/km
14 plant_based 4:52/km
15 wjoiner 4:54/km
16 mlawless 4:54/km
17 msprang 4:55/km
18 LKtriMom 4:55/km
19 Ktri 4:55/km
20 jasonshock 4:58/km
21 oprfcc 4:59/km

I may fail this weekend, 8 mile trail race with 2600' of climbing
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your race.

Sounds like a tough one.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Late post, but 60 days in, with all those doing rate of at least 1 a day and under 5km pace:

1 danstu4 4:14/km
2 Sbernardi 4:18/km
3 JeffJ 4:33/km
4 PomDad 4:36/km
5 synthetic 4:39/km
6 Bass 4:39/km
7 twcronin 4:40/km
8 ADabs 4:43/km
9 qintegral 4:44/km
10 snny 4:44/km
11 PMo 4:44/km
12 triczyk 4:49/km
13 Tony.White 4:50/km
14 plant_based 4:52/km
15 wjoiner 4:54/km
16 mlawless 4:54/km
17 msprang 4:55/km
18 LKtriMom 4:55/km
19 Ktri 4:55/km
20 jasonshock 4:58/km
21 oprfcc 4:59/km

I may fail this weekend, 8 mile trail race with 2600' of climbing

Hey, get me on that that list! haha. Finally made it to the front page, phew.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question is whether the top 5 in run count could achieve such a high frequency but for the treadmill?

I am not certain I could at the current pace especially in consideration of maintaining multi-sport fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:
The question is whether the top 5 in run count could achieve such a high frequency but for the treadmill?

Probably. But, it would just be harder on the body.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes no problem!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Yes no problem!

You're a machine!

Any goals for this year?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€˜m fairly close to top 5; the treadmill has really helped add some lower impact miles to my training. Itā€™s been a great compliment to outdoor training. Not only intervals, but specific hills sets on the TM are great, not to mention ice and heavy rain avoidance, (we had over 130mm of rain yesterday.)

All that said, I probably wouldnā€™t be able to hit the mileage I have without the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to finish the year healthy
KQ at St George in May
Run under 3 at Kona(pr 2:58 so I want to beat that) I donā€™t know if I can just want to try.
I entered the NYC marathon lottery. šŸ¤žšŸ»I hope I get in so I can see what I can run in just a marathon. Never been to NYC so why not do a race to see the city. Lol.
Thatā€™s about it just very happy to be training again. What ever happens this year I will be happy just to finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
KQ at St George in May
Run under 3 at Kona(pr 2:58 so I want to beat that) I donā€™t know if I can just want to try.
I entered the NYC marathon lottery. šŸ¤žšŸ»I hope I get in so I can see what I can run in just a marathon. Never been to NYC so why not do a race to see the city. Lol.
Thatā€™s about it just very happy to be training again. What ever happens this year I will be happy just to finish.

Sounds like a plan ... motivating.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
KQ at St George in May
Sub 3 your age is good for guaranteed entry at NYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it wasn't looking good for yesterday's snowshoe race being anything more than a trail run. I'd run down to the market on trails covered in lumpy, footprinted ice, which made me think it'd just be trail shoes and microspikes for the race. Even though it started to snow in the afternoon and picked up toward evening, there was no way there would be enough to snowshoe on.

I'd just finished this run - a little after sunset - when I got an email. Somehow the race director had found enough snow-covered trails in the conservation area that snowshoes would be a go! I switched over to my ice cleats and hoped there wouldn't be too many bare patches.

Awaking Sunday morning, it was clear that race director Lisa has some kind of deal with Mother Nature!

Big, fluffy flakes continued to hammer down as we approached the race venue - the start had to be pushed back by half an hour due to some people having pulled out marking flags the evening before, which also allowed time for people to make their way through slippery road conditions. I was able to get a few minutes' warm-up run in, then we headed over to the pavilion for the start.

With temperatures right around the freezing mark, the snow packed down nicely under the feet of the racers ahead of me. The trails were stunning with each branch and twig bearing a huge load of snow - slightly less awesome when a gust of wind would cause them to drop a fluffy avalanche on your head!

We had no idea how long the adjusted course would be - we were told "more than 5k but less than 30k" at the pre-race meeting! I went out a little harder than I maybe should have in the first 4km, but only got passed by a few people as I slowed up...one of whom was ST's own stillmoving, who motored right on by me as I hiked up a hill. Overall, I managed to not completely suck, and earned my pancake brunch after the race.

It was nice to meet a fellow ST Womens at the race, and she kicked arse, taking 1st in her age category!

After the pancakes and awards I went out for another lap of most of the course in my spikes, just so I could get some photos of the winter wonderland...and pick up some missed marking flags while I was at it.

Funny thing - it's supposed to be 6c/43f here today, so odds are all that snow will melt away. Winter just stopped by for the day for us to race..

Quote | Reply
Such a great day! It was nice to meet you. We so lucked out with Mother Nature. I just signed up for the Flurry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impossible for me without the treadmills, yes plural.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I have essentially tripled my weekly mileage. I couldn't do it without slowing down and using a treadmill. Even with that I was held together by tape for a couple weeks. Also it would be logistically impossible for me to be outside running 17 hours a week with young kids at home and my wife working evenings.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
We had no idea how long the adjusted course would be - we were told "more than 5k but less than 30k" at the pre-race meeting!

What the heck! haha

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillmoving wrote:
Such a great day! It was nice to meet you. We so lucked out with Mother Nature. I just signed up for the Flurry.

Awesome! I'd heard Jeff and Heather had opened up some additional spaces, and I'm glad you snagged one - they're just the best people, and all the Happy Trails Racing events are amazing. I'll see you there!

bluestacks, trail racing is not really a precise science - snowshoe racing doubly so, as pace is so dependent on the snow depth and composition. I know Shade's Mills pretty well and the longest single-loop run I've ever managed there was about 11km, so unless someone opened a portal into an alternate dimension we'd probably be fine. It ended up being called 6.8km (after the RDs averaged the polled results of people's GPS results), which was only 300m longer than last year in what seem to have been faster conditions; finish times between 30mins and 1h43mins, with my 50:47 being good enough for 3rd W40-49.

Quote | Reply
Ugh. Well I've been completely derailed. I had Flu A three weeks ago, and lost 4 days. I did several minimal, easy doubles the following week to get back even. But, then I started having discomfort breathing. It felt like my windpipe was irritated, and I had a hair trigger cough. On a 6 mile easy run, I ended up stopping three times.

I decided to take some days off to let the cough subside and the bronchitis (or whatever) to heal. That's turned into 10 days without running, during which time the windpipe irritation continued to get worse. It reached a point where I had a constant burning sensation, which clued me in that it might be something different. I'm now on day 2 of Zantac and Priolosec---feeling MUCH better. So, I suppose I was feeling acid reflux (maybe in addition to lingering flu aftermath).

Hopefully by tomorrow I can do an easy shorty. Then I'll look at the standings and decide where to go from here.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 6, 20 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boooooooo - sorry you took an ugly hit, Tom! Hope you're back on track and can bring in a finish with which you can be content, but don't go spreadsheet chasing while you're still on the mend!

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the challenge! For a non-runner (I guess I canā€™t say that anymore) I finished in 69 days. Mid January started with knee issues. Started KT tape, treadmill and backed off the biking. I think the treadmill helped a lot. It also fit in nicely with a swim afterwards. I know I had it easy compared to others after seeing those great/cold pictures and hearing about sickness and other injuries. I will keep running but will not be posting anymore as I will be going back to a different training schedule.
Keep it up everyone!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have been taken sideways a couple of times over the years. but here is how i see it. today i tied or exceeded by 1 my best-ever total in this thing. previously i kept on going regardless of the setbacks, and i always had setbacks. and i will have more setbacks between now and the end. (hopefully nothing that knocks me out of running.) basically, you got a flat, which you had to fix. and then you took a wrong turn on the course. get up, brush yourself, off, finish up. set a standard. beat it next year.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
. (hopefully nothing that knocks me out of running.) basically, you got a flat, which you had to fix. and then you took a wrong turn on the course. get up, brush yourself, off, finish up. set a standard. beat it next year.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm philosohpical about it. Its just running.

The bold bit is my only real concern. I tried a very short, easy run today. Didn't feel good at all---in a, "what does that mean" kinda way. I'm considering seeing a doctor. Somewhat concerned about the symtoms...but, don't want to over-react.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to follow up....

I had some chest pain on Friday. I discussed it with my doc... And, I'm going in for a stress echo on Monday. I felt so sorry for my wife, breaking this to her. I'm supposed to be immortal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So last year was my first attempt at the 100/100, finished with bronze medal and 72 runs...

This year we're at day 71 and I already have 72 runs. It's a little bit easier for as I live in Brazil and it's summer here, but some days I just run because of this challenge.

Using it as base for my 1st marathon at Rio de Janeiro on June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm now on day 2 of Zantac and Priolosec---feeling MUCH better. So, I suppose I was feeling acid reflux (maybe in addition to lingering flu aftermath).

fyi: https://www.torhoermanlaw.com/...suit/zantac-lawsuit/
Quote Reply

Prev Next