Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not. And it turns out the reason the straw was so far aft (too close to my chest rather than my face) was because the frame was too small so I just sold it (to a hopefully proud new owner on this forum).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a 20mm spacer they would be willing to let go if you do not need it? It appears the owner of the bike I just bought shorted me one spacer and I need it. I can Pay Pal you for your troubles and shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Bikernutz77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me what you are looking for. The only part that confuses me though is that the spacers are ALL used regardless of stack height. I'm guessing you have a previous gen CF SLX? Assuming we are talking about the same thing :)

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Jan 7, 20 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [TCMiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a speedmax, got it built up today. With the canyon Garmin mount that pairs with the hydration system, I can not operate my Garmin with it between the extensions. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, just got my new Speedmax CF SLX (as opposed to my now broken old one (thanks Lufthansa)) and I am pretty sure I am missing at least the grub screws that hold the aerobars in place. Anyone got a bill of materials (BOM) of what should be in the box so I can ensure I have everything? The front end redesign from my 2016/17 model is enough that I am not confident I know all the parts that I should have.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commandersnake wrote:
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:

Since a sponsored athletes review is a little biased. Here my take after owning a SLX and P5.

Aerodynamic. P5
I have a P5 three with a Tririg brake and it tests faster than my SLX on the velodrome every time.

Braking. P5
Power and adjustment is equal but if given the choice I’ll choose standard mount brakes. They are easier for recabling and never have to worry about not finding a small proprietary parts.

Storage/hydration. P5
I found out I do not like drinking from a straw. I want two standard bottles and bento box for gels. This is not a clean set up on the SLX. If you put a BTA bottle and remove the hydration on the SLX the bento will be out in the wind. I guess I could run a BTA over the integrated system... but prefer the simplicity of BTA and BTS bottle. Spare I just put under the seat/inside the bento box so the storage on the SLX is nice but not needed in my set up.

Traveling. P5
Take the bars off and secure them to the frame. Put the bike in any type of bag or hard case I wish. The SLX.... start looking for one of the huge ridiculous cases that allow the bars to remain mounted.

Warranty. P5
Obviously both are limited to their terms and conditions but Cervelo is lifetime vs 2 years.

Product Support. P5
I can call Cervelo today and get any part on the bike. I can’t say that for Canyon. Maybe one day.

Looks. Speedmax
It has cleaner lines and looks fantastic.

In my option the P5 three is still the gold standard.

Although I have not "tested" the bikes on a velodrome, I agree with most of these points. That being said, there are so many "superbikes" now in the market, that I am not sure if the P5 is still the gold standard of the bikes. (P5X is definitely NOT it)

Yeah and your P5X never won a single WC Ironman, while Jan Frodeno and Patrick Lange already own multiple titles with their Speedmax SLX's, same thing about UCI ITT, I never see a single P5X, do see some Cervélo for sure though. See how biased this post sound? That is exactly how your post sounded like. Noone needs biased reviews. Next

Anyways, sorry for upping this but I was wondering if the rised HB0048 base bar makes a difference? What are the measurements and by how many cm's was it raised?
Last edited by: MrBuli: Apr 27, 20 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Has anyone managed to swap out the standard armrests/armpads on a 2017 SLX for ones that give a narrower set up? I have the switch plates on already but looking for less of a gap between the pads. Aside from getting some custom made/drilled I was wondering if there was an easier option - I don't think the Profile Design armrest kits have the right drill holes for the SLX. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Hombre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I am thinking about replacing my 2014 Speedmax CF with a new Speedmax CF SLX mostly because the brake system of the CF is not properly functioning anymore. I have some questions though. Maybe someone here knows the answers.

I would want to swap my P2M powermeter but am not sure whether the bottom bracket is the same for both bikes. Canyon website says pressfit 86,5 for 2014 CF and pressfit 86 for 2019 Speedmax CF SLX. However, on the parts description the Canyon site says pressfit BB72 (which also is 86,5 mm). So will the P2M fit on the new CF SLX?

How narrow can you set the armcups on the CF SLX? From pictures of the new central risers it appears that there is a plate on top which goes wide to the outside. can you also mount the arm cups directly on top of the risers (or is it not necessary and can you get very narrow as it is)?

Can you detach the bento box and ride without it? It appears to be attached with just two tabs (just like a bottle holder?) but I have not seen any pictures without the bento box and the guys at Canyon said it was not possible to detach (?)

thnx, Dimitri
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [@Dim77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Dim77 wrote:
Hi all,
I am thinking about replacing my 2014 Speedmax CF with a new Speedmax CF SLX mostly because the brake system of the CF is not properly functioning anymore. I have some questions though. Maybe someone here knows the answers.

I would want to swap my P2M powermeter but am not sure whether the bottom bracket is the same for both bikes. Canyon website says pressfit 86,5 for 2014 CF and pressfit 86 for 2019 Speedmax CF SLX. However, on the parts description the Canyon site says pressfit BB72 (which also is 86,5 mm). So will the P2M fit on the new CF SLX?

How narrow can you set the armcups on the CF SLX? From pictures of the new central risers it appears that there is a plate on top which goes wide to the outside. can you also mount the arm cups directly on top of the risers (or is it not necessary and can you get very narrow as it is)?

Can you detach the bento box and ride without it? It appears to be attached with just two tabs (just like a bottle holder?) but I have not seen any pictures without the bento box and the guys at Canyon said it was not possible to detach (?)

thnx, Dimitri

I can't speak to the arm pad widths since I immediately changed out the Ergon arm pads/cups and replaced with the TriRig ones but you can get VERY narrow since there are no separate posts like with the previous generation. The posts literally run up the middle straddling the hydration unit. With respect to the Bento box, I am assuming you are referring to the storage on the top tube? If so, yes, it only attaches with 2 screws if I recall correctly. I remember having to install it when I got mine so you can definitely remove it. Same with the hydration system. You can remove the 2 pieces that connect together but I don't see any reason to remove it other than to clean.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks TX83!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [@Dim77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Dim77 wrote:
Thanks TX83!
Very welcome. Cheers!

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a recommendation a bite valve that might work? I tried the one off an Xlab Torpedo but looks like it's too narrow to fill the tube.

Would I be better off with any of the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camelbak-90011-Big-BiteValve/dp/B0019DCVTA/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...ssory/dp/B07M6RSKBM/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...-Valve/dp/B01BD5HKHG
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hjws wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation a bite valve that might work? I tried the one off an Xlab Torpedo but looks like it's too narrow to fill the tube.

Would I be better off with any of the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camelbak-90011-Big-BiteValve/dp/B0019DCVTA/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...ssory/dp/B07M6RSKBM/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...-Valve/dp/B01BD5HKHG

I went with the Camelbak blue bite valve and the Camelbak Crux Reservoir on/off Valve (it's great to be able to turn on/off and it also has the barbed end that is needed to insert into the tubing). I also swapped out the tubing (with the Crux tubing) since I didn't like how easily the factory tubing kinked. If you don't go with the Crux tubing, you just have to make sure you get the right diameter tubing so it fits into the hydration unit opening (as well as the bite valve and on/off valve).

Let me know if you want me to add a pic of my setup.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much - does the crux valve fit in the stock tubing neatly? As I said above, I was planning on using an Xlab Torpedo valve but it's too narrow for the stock Canyon tubing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hjws wrote:
Thanks very much - does the crux valve fit in the stock tubing neatly? As I said above, I was planning on using an Xlab Torpedo valve but it's too narrow for the stock Canyon tubing

Yes. I did that for a short time and then decided I preferred the matching blue tubing of the Crux parts as well as the sturdier nature of it ( the crux tubing doesn't crease as easily like the 90degree bend the stock tubing does and instead it "curves" more smoothly).

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else have issues with the front hydration leaking? Mine is dripping down the forks (presumably from where the two bits join together) pretty much constantly while riding. Any solutions for this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Canyon Speedmax appears to have a 10x135 rear hub width. I ordered some new wheels with 130mm hub width. When I close the quick-release lever, the frame bends a little. Is this problematic? Or would be advisable to only use a rear wheel with 135mm hub?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hjws wrote:
Does anyone else have issues with the front hydration leaking? Mine is dripping down the forks (presumably from where the two bits join together) pretty much constantly while riding. Any solutions for this?

I am having the same issue with my brand new bike. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [frantona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the question of which bite valve fits the SLX's straw came up a lot in the past. After trying a few, I found the new Profile Design Bite Valve. It fits perfectly!

https://profile-design.com/products/bite-valve-1
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [pbueno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have just gotten a 2019 SLX. I saw in the manual or somewhere while I was setting it up that if it's leaking it means the o-rings need to be replaced (on the round part where the front and back sections join). I've not used mine yet though so don't know if I have the same problem or not - hopefully not though.

I have a question for you seeing as you already have this bike and must have the front hydration installed given your leaking problem - do you have the computer mount? I assume the cover that goes over the front hydration needs to be cut when you install the computer mount? Canyon doesn't have any info but one picture on the website shows the aerobottle cover finishing above the computer mount.

Thanks!
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [pbueno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to note is that mine was dripping out of the join between the bottles even at a standstill, as soon as I filled the bottle it started leaking down the forks. I got in contact with Canyon about it and they recommended trying some different sizes of O-rings. These didn't work and I sent them a couple of videos showing the rate of the leak from the join and they sent me a new hydration system.

When I got it it was pretty obvious to me what the issue was, the plastic on the 'female' part of the old one seemed to be warped/rippled/deformed very slightly. The new one doesn't have this and works really well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [alexandra_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chiming in - I have this bike and the computer mount. Correct that you need to cut the cover for the hydration system, when you bolt the computer mount on the cover won't sit properly and it's pretty obvious where you need to cut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I was fairly certain but wanted to be sure before I cut it. Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [alexandra_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello - complete newbie to the board and triathlon in general. After having a used bike the past couple of years to get started I decided to purchase a new CF SLX 8.0 from Canyon. The size was off so I sent back and am awaiting my updated bike. However when I did have my original the hydration system was an absolute bear to get in between the bars and out of them. I was curious if anyone has any pointers on this or if I’m just a sissy? Also, it seemed like the hydration system would have a pinch point for the Di2 wires, is this an issue? Another completely silly question- with the horizontal drop outs for the rear wheel assembly, I’ve read on line where you should have the chain on the smallest sprockets - I think the Di2 was set up to sync its own shifts - how do I manually get them to small/small?

I appreciate any expertise and sorry for my lack of technical verbiage :).
Last edited by: Justfinishtmudd: Jul 26, 21 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Official Canyon Speedmax CF SLX Thread [Justfinishtmudd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justfinishtmudd,

The small chain ring, small cog combo is commonly referred to as the "no-no gear" on any bike, road or tri or other, with horizontal dropouts or vertical dropouts. Don't ride in that gear. If you're running syncro then the bike you let you cross over so you needed worry about small/small or big/big. Wait, not I get it.... you read on line that the chain should be there to remove and install the rear wheel. No need... it does make it a hair easier to do this when the chain has some slack but just put in the small rind mid cassette and have at it.

I can't speak to the ease or difficulty of removing the BTA hydration system (Between the Aerobars). Could you just leave it in there?

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next