Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc?
Quote | Reply
I would like to buy one of these bikes but I can decide which is better? Which are the differences between them? Pro and Cons of both?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a no brainer depending on what type of racing you do. If you do half or full, PX. If you are primarily short distance w/ an occasional half, P5d.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jan 29, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
I would like to buy one of these bikes but I can decide which is better? Which are the differences between them? Pro and Cons of both?

PX dampens the road vibrations a little bit as Hoff says

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the p5 disc and really like it. Pretty darn light and with disc brakes. For storage it does a decent job but the Px is definitely better for that. I had really no problem racing 2 fulls and a half on it. Top tube storage holds about 4 gels which isn’t great but not bad either. My downtube bottle is converted into flat kit. If you have any questions let me know.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [DylanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DylanD wrote:
I have the p5 disc and really like it. Pretty darn light and with disc brakes. For storage it does a decent job but the Px is definitely better for that. I had really no problem racing 2 fulls and a half on it. Top tube storage holds about 4 gels which isn’t great but not bad either. My downtube bottle is converted into flat kit. If you have any questions let me know.

Thank you, I do only Ironmans. For storage I don’t have problems because i put gels in my BTA bottle. Which is P5 disc weight? And if you know P3X weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do half’s and full Ironman’s and went for the P5D and have zero regrets. To lazy to search for it but I believe the P5D is 2-3lbs lighter than the P3X/PX. Storage isn’t a problem for me as i put all my calories in my downtube bottle then rotate water in my other two holders.
One thing that eliminates the PX for me was that I train on my tri bike and I didn’t want the attention of training on a beam bike.

For me, unless you are a rider that piles the fuel on the frame, the P5D is significantly lighter, more aerodynamic, handles more like a road bike and is better looking IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
I do half’s and full Ironman’s and went for the P5D and have zero regrets. To lazy to search for it but I believe the P5D is 2-3lbs lighter than the P3X/PX. Storage isn’t a problem for me as i put all my calories in my downtube bottle then rotate water in my other two holders.
One thing that eliminates the PX for me was that I train on my tri bike and I didn’t want the attention of training on a beam bike.

For me, unless you are a rider that piles the fuel on the frame, the P5D is significantly lighter, more aerodynamic, handles more like a road bike and is better looking IMHO.

Weight is irrelevant, and I don't care what other people think I look like.

Where do you put your flat kit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:

Weight is irrelevant, and I don't care what other people think I look like.

Where do you put your flat kit?

Fair. I’m a FOP biker and usually chase harder bike courses so weight matter for me. I use the Xlab aero 300 or tape my tube under the saddle and put the tools in the bento.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weight still isn't particularly relevant. I think the integrated storage capacity of the PX simply out...weighs the increased weight. It's really not "several pounds heavier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Weight still isn't particularly relevant. I think the integrated storage capacity of the PX simply out...weighs the increased weight. It's really not "several pounds heavier"

Multiple people have weighed a race ready P5D at a little over 18lbs, a P5 at 19lbs, PX 21 pounds and PX5 at 22 pounds so it’s actually closer to 3. That said if the storage is valuable then totally get it but not all need the extra storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Multiple people have weighed a race ready P5D at a little over 18lbs, a P5 at 19lbs, PX 21 pounds and PX5 at 22 pounds so it’s actually closer to 3. That said if the storage is valuable then totally get it but not all need the extra storage.

For the P5D, I do offer some storage solutions, both bottom bracket and rear box. Both have capacity to store a tube, co2 cartridge, inflator and tire levers.

You can order either one here: https://custombikexcessories.com/...ge=t%2Fcervelop5disc

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it also depends on how you manage nutrition during the race. I'm a "live off the land" sort of guy - Gatorade Endurance and water for hydration and Clif blocks and/or gu. So I'm pretty comfortable that I could do IM distance with my P5d with my nutrition strategy. Those that need to carry their own hydration would definitely benefit from the PX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race a P3X, but no experience of P5D

P3X is a great bike, it handles like a road bike... I live in Switzerland and have thrown this bike down mountains just like I ride my Canyon Ultimate. It is significantly faster on descents than my previous Specialized Shiv

In terms of pure speed, riding at 250W on a flat road, I would say that it is not noticeably faster than my Shiv. However, it is so comfortable and so easy to ride, that you can maintain a higher power output than the Shiv, so over a 70.3 or 140.6 it works out faster

A real surprise was how well this bike climbs, on long low gradient climbs (up to 5%), the P3X will keep up with a lightweight road bike, what it looses in weight, it gains in aero performance, even on climbs. When the climb ramps up, a light weight road bike is definately faster, but will not embaras the P3X - I've ridden some mountain passes last year

For the majority of LD triathlon's I feel that the P3X is a great choice, probably better than P5D for its storage options. For a really hilly course like Lanzarote, then maybe the P5D would be better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread appears to be a coin toss. I had the same debate 6 months ago. I went for the P5D with no regrets whatsoever . . . I really love that bike. I have done one full on it and and half dozen ~100 miles. I'm not sure I could imagine being more comfortable. Storage is perfect for me. On the flip side, my bud has a the P5X and feels the same way about his as I do mine. Both are awesome bikes.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but using the downtube storage you eliminate the ability to carry a frame bottle, and using the rear storage you place 1-1.5lb of weight up pretty high (as opposed to down low and centered like it is on the X series).

i appreciate your solutions, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
but using the downtube storage you eliminate the ability to carry a frame bottle, and using the rear storage you place 1-1.5lb of weight up pretty high (as opposed to down low and centered like it is on the X series).

i appreciate your solutions, however.

Agree that you lose downtube bottle with my bb box, some people mount 2 bottles off the back of the seat and use a bta feeing up the downtube. As for rear box, it only weighs 100 grams, tube, co2, inflator and tire levers do not weigh 1lb. It effectively replaces the saddle bag which in my opinion is ugly.

When I first got my p5, I had two bottles behind the seat and struggled to attach saddle bag to carry my spare stuff. My riding buddy has speed concept with the speed box which inspired me to come up with my own rear storage solution

Yann

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very simple indeed, PX for long distance and P5d for short distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [Plicated] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plicated wrote:
Very simple indeed, PX for long distance and P5d for short distance.

Pretty sure there are a bunch of us who are saying the P5d is working perfectly for the IM distance so certainly not “very simply indeed.”

Better put, if you have complex nutrition and need space PX. If you have simple nutrition P5D.
Last edited by: BGildenstern: Jan 31, 20 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3X owner here and happy with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, as the P5D has good storage options and only if one needs/wants to carry significant amounts of fuel/tools, etc. would they need the P3X. For me the P5D, as it super responsive, light and better looking, it is the best choice of the 2 options.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
P3X owner here and happy with it.

Can anyone comment on the build quality and paint robustness with these bikes ?

In the past Cervelo's paint durability in particular has been, well, a little questionable at times. Whether you have the P3x, P5D or PX, does the bike still look as the day you bought it ? Is it well made ?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 disc or PX disc? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a P5x and paint is still near perfect sl no issues there.

Lot of varied opinions above, there are some other features not being considered.

Px:
- split bars easier to travel with
- more adjustable position up front
- ability to fit bladder in frame for more aero hydration
- ability to close arm positions tighter due to above ( I had BTA bottle and just wasnt the same nor as aero).
- said to have more comfort due to Beam
- more storage or more aero storage compared to P5d

P5d:
- lighter
- seat tube so some prefer the design
- perhaps handles better (in a triathlon does this really matter?)

If I were to switch to a P5d (and I do like the black/grey one), I'd lose:
- bladder aero hydration
- aero bottle on frame (as in standard bottle that is replaced at aid stations as frame is wider than P5d specifically for this)
- split bars ease of packing (not a big deal)
- better adjustments up front (minor disadvantage)
- add the storage solutions Yann made to pack the spares.

So I'd gain a lighter bike, but compromise on position, hydration and built in storage.

Really, its down to personal preference as the above are all minor and individual differences.

Personally, I love the bladder hydration and narrow aero position with straw that is now poss on Px.
The BTA was a pain, often ending with spilled drinks over basebars (when using torpedo) and also wider arm position for me.
Last edited by: Fazz: Jun 12, 20 2:31
Quote Reply