Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oops (used wrong crank length PowerTap P1’s)
Quote | Reply
I discovered I had not set this correctly for a few rides. 175 actual. Set 172.5.

Are my recorded numbers high or low? And is there a simple linear correction to be made (e.g. 172.5/175x (or inverse))

Thanks
J
Quote Reply
Re: Oops (used wrong crank length PowerTap P1’s) [johovishta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your recorded numbers will be too low. Same force, shorter crank = lower torque = lower recorded power.

It’s a linear relationship, so your readings are 1.4% too low.

If it matters (e.g. you were doing an FTP test), you can adjust the .fit file on fitfiletools.com

Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t bother.

[Note: I misread the original post and got this back to front, so have edited to correct!]
Last edited by: marting: Jan 28, 20 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Oops (used wrong crank length PowerTap P1’s) [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. Ta.
Quote Reply
Re: Oops (used wrong crank length PowerTap P1’s) [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marting wrote:
Your recorded numbers will be too high. Same force, longer crank = higher torque = higher recorded power.
Is it the other way around... if his crank was set to 172.5, but the actual length was 175, wouldn't the power calculated and displayed by the P1 be 1.4% low?
Quote Reply
Re: Oops (used wrong crank length PowerTap P1’s) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re quite right. I misread the original post. Apologies all!

I’ve edited my reply to correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Oops (used wrong crank length PowerTap P1’s) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
marting wrote:
Your recorded numbers will be too high. Same force, longer crank = higher torque = higher recorded power.
Is it the other way around... if his crank was set to 172.5, but the actual length was 175, wouldn't the power calculated and displayed by the P1 be 1.4% low?

That's the way I calculate it as well. P=Tw and T = F*l

P = F*l*w

So the same force and cadence on a 175 will result in a higher power than the same force and cadence on a 172.5. So by entering in a shorter crank length in the formula, you're recorded power will be lower.
Quote Reply