Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my goal was to keep using the healthy coping skills (now at 15 days in a row!) and keep the running miles at bay (I ran fewer miles than last week so that's a win).

M: 18 mi bike
T: 6.7 mi run + 1325 yd swim
W: 5.2 mi run + 725 yd swim + 45 min stairmaster
T: 7.3 mi run + 575 yd swim + 30 min stairmaster
F: 9.5 mi run
S: 7.9 mi run + 825 yd swim
S: 7.2 mi run + 45 min stairmaster

I am super super proud of the healthy coping. In particular yesterday was one of the most anxious days I have had in a very long time. I'm potentially on the verge of a major upward career move, and it's causing some stress. It will likely be worth it, but it does mean riding the anxiety waves for what is probably the next couple weeks. So the name of the game right now is self care.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am incredibly proud of you, Dr. TC. You're dealing with a huge amount of stress and anxiety with grace and determination right now. I'd give you a hug in person if I could! (My t-rex arms sadly can't reach from here in DC).

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mon: swim
T/W/Th: sick
Fri: bike
Sat: gym
Sun: swim/yoga

I seem to be over the bug that I had so ended up with a decent week. I'm just ready for some warm weather.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started on the end of January, Dr. TC! Omg it's the end of January.

My goal last week was to finish out my three-week build, and I MADE IT! Phew. Thank goodness it's a rest day today. 4:30 came entirely too early this morning :p

This week's goal: REST FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REST

M- rest (nailin' it)
Tu- 30min run
W- 30min swim and 60min Zwift. I'm also volunteering at the museum all day
Th- wait, what's this? ANOTHER REST DAY?
F- 30min swim and a GLORIOUS 2-hour massage. Treat yo self, indeed.
Sa- 6mi run. I'm also hosting the cycling club's annual volunteer appreciation/awards event. Always super nerve-wracking to get in front of some of the most important people in our club to make sure they're kept happy and well fed (at least for one day)
Su- rest day. Except not really because it's SUPER BOWL PARTY THROWDOWWWWWWWNNNNNN.

Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Jan 27, 20 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with everything Dr. TC. Take care of yourself and I'll keep my fingers crossed everything works out for you!

Cupcake, what time should we be there Sunday? :-)

My goal this week is to just keep on keeping on. I'm working really hard on making some changes to my diet, so that's where I'm putting a lot of my energy. I'm also trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a tri bike. I know the answer is yes, but I am having SUCH a hard time making the decision. I've never ridden one before, so part of it is fear. What if I hate it? What if it's terrible? It's a lot of money!!!

My plans for the week:
Mon - Zwift ride and strength (I did it this morning, minus having to stop in the middle of it because my crazy cat decided to take a flying leap off a rocking chair and launched himself into the blinds in the window next to me. So I had to stop the damn ride and go take the cat out of the blinds. *head desk*)
Tues - 2500 swim
Wed - 40 min run and strength
Thurs - 2500 swim
Fri - 1:15 Zwift ride and strength
Sat - 40 min run and strength
Sun - Rest
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronScholar wrote:
Cupcake, what time should we be there Sunday? :-)

Tomorrow.

;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik, thanks for getting us started and good work on your healthy coping. It's not easy to live with uncertainty and you're doing a great job.

My goals last week were:
a complete rest day today ... 2 swims, 5 bikes, and 4 runs plus my yoga and p/rehab. As intensity ramps up, I need to be really good about my p/rehab and pay better attention to sleep, nutrition, etc.

I did it all and a series of baseline assessments to keep me honest as training gets moving. I'm 3 weeks out from a 13.1 and a little frustrated with my running but trying to find good perspective and remind myself that my actual focus in the 70.3 I have in April.

Today I'm resting (yay!) and I'll have 3 swims, 4 bikes, and 4 runs -- my LA BFF is here so we might head out to the mountains this weekends for some snowy fun too.

Cupcake rest! rest! rest! but also footballlllll! Have fun. IronScholar I didn't rush into buying a tri bike (and bought mine used, etc.) and initially super hated it but now I think it's one of the best decisions I made.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironscholar - it was not love at first ride with my TT bike and even now given a choice, I prefer my road bike anyday. However, there is no denying that for longer triathlons they have their advantages. Here's a very embarrassing account of my initial experiences with it; I'm pleased to say that I no longer cry at the prospect of having to ride it.

Dr TC - you and your family have been in my thoughts. Keep up the good work with the healthy coping! Fingers crossed that the work stress settles soon.

Dr C - two rest days AND the end of dry January; does it get any better? ;-)

TwoDollar - have fun with your BFF!

Hope the rest of the women are doing well.

My goals for last week: swim x 4 (3 done); bike x 3 (YES); run x 4 (YES); core x 2 (YES). Unpack and hang the rest of the artwork (getting there).

I think the adrenaline from the move wore off at the end of last week. I suddenly had enough time to myself to feel a little sad and lonely and fat and stupid; combine it with some mistimed comments, and a less than stellar support system, and I cried a lot this weekend. But this week is a new week!

Goals: swim x 3, bike x 3 (1 done), run x 3, core x 2.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Jan 27, 20 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

TC--I've been following all your messages, and thinking of you a lot. I'm so happy to hear that you're happy with your coping skills, and wish you all the best! About your grandpa, I'd chime in that there's no single, right way to get through times like this. They happen and they're imperfect and that can be hard for some people. But your grandpa knows you love him, I'm sure.

Scheherezade-oy vey, moves can be hard! Sorry it got stressful this week. Onward to a new week!

TwoDollar-good luck with amping up!

Cupcake--so glad you're getting two rest days this week! Ahhhh, you certainly deserve it.

I fell off the wagon a little over the weekend. I didn't do hardly any of my strength. I was supposed to do a 10k, but it was 35 degrees (quite balmy for these parts, actually. Last weekend it was 20 degrees on my long run and snowing) and raining. So, nope. I then got my coach to give me a trainer workout instead and noped that too. No good reason, accept I think that I'm a little extra stressed with work right now and expressed that by sitting on my tush this weekend.

This week:

M: swim and bird dogs
Tu: 1 hr recovery ride and strength
W: speed run
Th: REST
Fr: swim
Sat: Long ride and brick run
Su: Long run

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm also trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a tri bike. I know the answer is yes, but I am having SUCH a hard time making the decision. I've never ridden one before, so part of it is fear. What if I hate it? What if it's terrible? It's a lot of money!!!

I think it's the sort of thing you want to test out. Is there a bike shop you can do that at?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning, ladies!

I'm sorry it's been a bit of a rough week for some you. Hold tight, because you're all strong and amazing women. No rain, no rainbows.... But damn, is it hard to see through that sometimes.

I failed miserably on both my workout and life goals for the week, but I had a great swim with my masters group on Sunday. I really need to get my shit together because I won an Instagram contest to refund my entry to the 50K I'm signed up for, and since we moved our Spring concert, it looks like I'm now going to have to run it as planned. Crap! (Side note: I also won a free entry to any distance race, so if anyone was considering the Gunstock Trail Festival in May, let me know! I'd love to gift it to one of my womens.)

Plans for this week

Training plan:
M: Rest day!
T: 3 mile run, swim
W: 1hr bike
Th: 3 mile run
F: Swim
S: 5 mile run
Su: 3 mile run, 1hr bike

Life goals:
1) Journal at least once!!
2) Finish my damn marketing course
3) Not do anything fatal to the animals I'm going to be housesitting for the next couple of weeks
Last edited by: UK2ME: Jan 28, 20 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yay for a free race for you and a friend!
I need to journal too. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 27 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all of the support. I don't really feel like talking with people in real life right now (though I spoke with my aunt on Thursday, and my parents briefly last night). My grandfather died peacefully yesterday morning. I didn't find out until last night, and I had to suspend feelings because I was expected at a work thing. So I'm just now starting to feel the feelings. We did sort of expect this, so while I'm still in mild shock and a sort of passive denial or disbelief I am also imagining my grandfather reunited with my grandmother in some heaven-type place, and that is comforting for the moment. I also suspect there are lots of dogs rather happy to see him - he was a mailman in a small town so he walked his route with dog biscuits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry for your loss, Dr. TC. I hope you're right that he's reunited with your grandmother and a whole lot of small-town dogs who are rather pleased to see him.

Thinking of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry TC. Your description of him hanging out with all the dogs made me smile. I think that's a pretty good place to be after a long, well lived life.

Keep taking care of yourself and give yourself grace when the emotions come at weird (and usually) inconvenient times.

It is normal to have all the feelings - sadness at what has ended while still living your life and dealing with the everyday. Good luck with your work stuff, I hope that it leads to bigger, better more awesome opportunities for you and your career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry for your loss, Dr. Tigerchik. We're thinking of you.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss Dr TC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry, Dr. TC. I want to wrap you up in love right now and tell you it's okay to feel things and not worry about life while you process all of this. You have so much to be proud of for yourself, the naturally easy good as well as the overcoming struggles, and your grandparents have and will always look to you with unconditional affection and pride and love. I hope the doggos are wagging their tails to see him again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to hear about this, TC. Thanks for sharing the anecdote about dogs. You'll be in my thoughts.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss, Dr. T, and we are thinking of you. I love the thought of all the heavenly dogs happy to see your grandfather again. It sounds like you have a LOT going on right now so I hope you are able to take some quiet time for yourself.
Hope you are feeling better, ironclm. It seems there are a lot of bugs going around.
Dr_C, enjoy your rest! A two-hour massage?!?!?!?! Jealous! (and also kind of wondering... do you get bored?)
IronScholar, I bought a used tri bike, is that an option for you? I felt better with the smaller investment in case I didn't like it/couldn't ride it. Also, love the cat story.
TDS, good luck with the final push for your 13.1! Hopefully you get to enjoy some fun mountain time with your friend.
Scheherazade, hopefully you are having a better week this week. Moving is so stressful, and I can't imagine managing a major relocation. The good news is there are runners and triathletes everywhere so I'm sure you will find your people soon.
BingTri, nothing wrong with taking a day to sit on your tush. =) I hope the rest did you good and you are ready to jump back in it.
UK2ME, May is far enough away that you can be in great shape for your 50K!

Last week was pretty good for me. I managed three runs, three rides, two swims, two PT, and one yoga. My knee started hurting almost immediately after my speed run Friday, but I didn't run any harder or longer than I usually do, so I'm at a bit of a loss. It could also be the usual suspects of getting older, weather changing, etc. The only thing I am really doing differently is swimming and I can't imagine 4000 yards total for the last two weeks is aggravating it that much. I have been slacking a bit on my weights and PT which is the more likely culprit. UGH.

I'm off to an OK start this week. I did an easy-ish ride Monday but my knee has been hurting too much to do anything else, although it is finally feeling better today. My husband was having a really bad day yesterday so I just hung out with him last night; let's call it a rest day. One of our dogs isn't feeling well (probably a mild UTI) which is making me worried, plus we have had to wash every blanket and dog bed in the house at least once since Sunday. The vet can finally see her today, which is a relief. I do have a fun Super Bowl party to look forward to, and if my knee is feeling better I might do a fun 5K at a VERY easy pace that morning, depending on the weather. So yeah, this isn't going to be an A+ week, but I can probably still do a little training and have a little fun.

Hope you all are doing well.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for your loss, Dr. TC. Sending you lots of love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply