Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re a beast!!!

You may consider supplementing D3 at 5000IU, 10K IU or 20K IU per day to help with immune system and bone health.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks beautiful! I have spent months running through the snow in Canada in snowshoes collecting maple sap with a bucket in each hand. I love being out in the trees and snow. It’s definitely a good workout running in snowshoes!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You continue to inspire. Not that I want to run 5.5 times a day, but that I can get in 30' and not make an excuse, and that injuries can slow you down but not stop you.

The thing that's just amazing is that your body is recovering and getting over injuries. You mentioned the soreness, and I wonder does it get better during the day as your body warms up? Also, how much are you sleeping? (you may have mentioned, and I just missed it earlier)

Hope you are able to physically and mentally endure and keep the edge sharp! -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a point where treating injuries felt like more work and more time consuming than running. I have always been guilty of not stretching or warming up or cooling down correctly. That said, the easy pace of my runs in this challenge does not really require much of a warmup or cooldown. Fortunately I have a desk job so I can do the little things throughout the day to help treat injuries such as strict icing regiment, massaging myself, roller ball under my desk, things like that.

The sore muscles hurt the most if I wake up in the middle of the night. The first run of the day, especially the 6 AM runs are the worst and stiff legs bother me. After that I am usually not too sore until that night laying in bed again.

Averaging 8.08 hours sleep over 53 days
1 time - less than 6 hours
4 times - 6 to 6.9 hours
22 times - 7 to 7.9 hours
15 times - 8 to 8.9 hours
11 times - 9 or more hours
I've been tracking it in Excel so I'll have to add it to my dashboard.

Thanks, yesterday was a step in the right direction mentally.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Feeling slightly more prepared for the 3 snowshoe races I have coming next month, now. First one in less than 2 weeks (Feb 2nd)!

I ran with my dad last summer on the beach two days in a row and it absolutely wrecked my calves. I couldn't even imagine trying to run in those snow shoes... I didn't even know snowshoe racing was a thing. I need to get out more :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:

Averaging 8.08 hours sleep over 53 days
1 time - less than 6 hours
4 times - 6 to 6.9 hours
22 times - 7 to 7.9 hours
15 times - 8 to 8.9 hours
11 times - 9 or more hours

Those would be LIFETIME counts for me. Each of those probably coorelates very highly with a preceeding all-nighter or two.

I couldn't sleep that much if you put a gun to my head. Ok, well....THAT might not actually be helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
mistressk wrote:
Feeling slightly more prepared for the 3 snowshoe races I have coming next month, now. First one in less than 2 weeks (Feb 2nd)!

I ran with my dad last summer on the beach two days in a row and it absolutely wrecked my calves. I couldn't even imagine trying to run in those snow shoes... I didn't even know snowshoe racing was a thing. I need to get out more :)

I'd say that running in regular shoes on snow is probably the closest to running on sand - I've actually been known to call it "Canadian beach running". Snowshoe running puts a lot more strain on the hamstrings and hip flexors, as you're basically strapping a 1-2lb weight to each foot that you have to lift with each stride. Stabilizer muscles can take a beating, too, as you're forced into a wider stance to (try to) keep from clipping your opposite ankle/calf with the frames.

It's really good VO2max work, especially when the snow is deep and loose. Snowshoe racing is a hoot! They tend to be shorter courses - the longest I've seen was 10km at the Canadian Championships last year - so it's just a balls-out rip through beautiful trails.

Quote | Reply
Luckily I haven't had to run on a treadmill yet in the challenge, and I've moved myself up to only being one run down at the midway point (via a number of doubles and triples). I was tempted to do a second run on day 50 just to bring myself to "par", but my right calf had been tight for a couple of days so I decided not to push my luck. It's fine now.

I have the opposite environment challenge of the snow/ice posters - in Hawaii, most of my runs are at 80F with relative humidity north of 70%. The good news is the challenge has really helped me get acclimatized to that; it now finally seems like the new normal. I'm on a business trip right now in my old stomping grounds in the Bay Area, and this morning's run in 50F temps felt easy - so much so that I didn't start sweating at all until mile 3, and I'm normally quite the heavy sweater. We'll see how much this helps when I get to my old nemesis: the run at Hawaii 70.3.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
You may consider supplementing D3 at 5000IU, 10K IU or 20K IU per day to help with immune system and bone health.

I meant to respond earlier but I finally asked my wife what she gives me. I am taking about 4,000IU of D3 mixed with vitamin K and magnesium, as well as a couple probiotic pills. I only take it every other day or so though because we often forget.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the analytics board, thanks for sharing!

Yesterday I hit the track for the first time in years and ran what used to be one of my standard benchmark sets, 6x1k. 3:45 to start and then an average of 3:37+/-2. Pleasantly surprised! Next time I visit my parents I’ll have to dig out my old logs and see how that stacks up with the glory days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
plant_based wrote:

I meant to respond earlier but I finally asked my wife what she gives me. I am taking about 4,000IU of D3 mixed with vitamin K and magnesium, as well as a couple probiotic pills. I only take it every other day or so though because we often forget.

Oh ok cool. Its good to hear you're taking some D3.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
If it’s a standard cold, consider running really easy midday ... Or maybe rest for a day or two. You know you best.

My Rule of Thumb

Cold in the head = get out of bed
Cold in the chest = get your rest

I got myself out on the road yesterday; it felt good to be out in the world [about 45* and overcast]

Even though I missed out almost an entire week, I'm still hanging on to the back end of Bronze Medal eligibility

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ihersey wrote:
Luckily I haven't had to run on a treadmill yet in the challenge, and I've moved myself up to only being one run down at the midway point (via a number of doubles and triples). I was tempted to do a second run on day 50 just to bring myself to "par", but my right calf had been tight for a couple of days so I decided not to push my luck. It's fine now.

I have the opposite environment challenge of the snow/ice posters - in Hawaii, most of my runs are at 80F with relative humidity north of 70%. The good news is the challenge has really helped me get acclimatized to that; it now finally seems like the new normal. I'm on a business trip right now in my old stomping grounds in the Bay Area, and this morning's run in 50F temps felt easy - so much so that I didn't start sweating at all until mile 3, and I'm normally quite the heavy sweater. We'll see how much this helps when I get to my old nemesis: the run at Hawaii 70.3.

Ian

I think I am three runs down now and over 50. I have the Dubai 70.3 coming up in two weeks and on top of that the snow here has been awesome for XC skiing. So between wanting to mainly swim, getting excited about being on skis more, being forced to endure some trainer time, running has been getting less emphasis. The main thing is I was consistently in the 50-60km per week for the first 50 days which should be enough mileage to get me through the 70.3. At this point, losing 3-4 lbs in the next 2 weeks is going to help me a lot more than running more and I need to pile on some panic bike mileage next weekend when I get to Dubai to get used to biking again!!!! My last bunch of weeks have been 16-18 hrs with ~4-5 hrs of running so I should have enough to get through, but I can't swim and XC ski the entire 70.3, so I need to bike more now.

I'll see how far behind I am after Feb 7th and see if I can do a bunch of double in at the end of Feb and March to close on 100.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I just checked and after today's 35 min transition run that was preceded by 50 min bike + 1:52 Nordic ski, I am 3 runs off the pace. In the next two weeks I figure I'll give away at least 7 runs which will put me 10 runs off pace. I'll need to do something like 40 runs in in the last 30 days, so every third day will require a double. Not sure that I want to step up to that routine as the snow is good for skiing and I'll be wanting to ramp swim training before provincials and nationals, however, I know this will help me for triathlon in the summer....but I need to trade off enjoyment vs goals. Having said that, I don't think I have hit the full 100/100 since 2014 and after a long round of rehab, it may be nice if I did. At this point I have zero injuries, no aches and niggles (aside from being in the 55-59 age group and a lifetime of being beaten up) and I have surpassed 400km so maybe what I should do is set my target at 800km for the challenge and not worry so much about hitting 100 runs....whether I get 800km out of 100 runs or 90 runs its going to be roughly the same aggregate training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see the guy running 4:10 miles on May field today when you were on there?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did! It was hard to follow him because I was in the Zwift event and he wasn't. So I could only switch the game camera to other runners in the event. There was enough people in the event spread around the track to switch to and get some shots of him. He looked was going cyclist speed on foot, it looked so awkward. I averaged my normal 8:30ish pace but a few times I set my treadmill to max to see what it was like. I hit a 5:05 pace max and only for about 5 seconds before my HR maxed and I felt like I was going to lose balance. I had to grab the arms and jump off just so I could be steady enough to set it back to 8:30. Incredible he was doing 1-minute per mile faster than that speed for so long.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah. he needed his own event. you only got to see him as he came up behind, passed, and went ahead. there's a few videos of this. maybe 75,000 or 100,000 views if you add them all up. several FB lived it. we're going to edit a proper video in the next couple of days. it's pretty electric in the room when this guy does one of these. he's got a talent for suffering.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If anyone is looking for a creative way to knock out a few runs, here's an opportunity (link below). (NOTE: I think there are 15 or less slots still available, so get in quick if you're going to do it). This is a treadmill marathon where you have 24 hours to complete the distance (on a treadmill only). Alternatively, you could do a 50k or both a marathon and a 50k if you're insane.

I plan to bust my run up into 1/2 hour segments so I can make up for days I've missed during the 100 day challenge.

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=74898
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hit 100 runs today (day 58). Thanks to all for the motivation and inspiration - especially bluestacks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never attempted anything like this but needed something to bust out of the usual routine. I thought from the start it would be 50/50 to get in the 100 but so far, so good. A new job starting last week (postal carrier) has thrown a wrench (walking 7-10 miles a day etc...) into training but managing some multiple run days on my days off, to catch up. Running my first marathon (May 3rd) since Kona and cancer in 2016 so this is helping get that training done as well. Cool idea and fun to see everyone's progress and posts - Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Brewtalboyz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brewtalboyz wrote:
I have never attempted anything like this but needed something to bust out of the usual routine. I thought from the start it would be 50/50 to get in the 100 but so far, so good. A new job starting last week (postal carrier) has thrown a wrench (walking 7-10 miles a day etc...) into training but managing some multiple run days on my days off, to catch up. Running my first marathon (May 3rd) since Kona and cancer in 2016 so this is helping get that training done as well. Cool idea and fun to see everyone's progress and posts - Thanks!

i'm glad it's working for you. it seems like a lot of people have found a way to make this work for them this year. we still have more than 250 people who're on pace to run at least 70 runs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Plant_based! Done at a fast avg pace as well. Nice to see you and another break through 100.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Bass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bass wrote:
Congrats Plant_based! Done at a fast avg pace as well. Nice to see you and another break through 100.

Thanks Bass!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I have run 33 runs in January already of at least 3 miles / 30 minutes, and that is 220 miles so far with runs ranging from 3-15 miles (plus some shorter warmup ones). I did however not sign up for the 100 x 100 challenge this time as without it I am willing to take rest days. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing to see the pace and miles some of you are putting in! Following up on my early post about what might happen to my pace / heart rate:

During run 2 of the challenge I ran one of my usual shorter neighborhood routes. Result:
3.7 miles, 9:06 pace, 160 HR.

Run 20 - same route - it was 8:59's with an HR of 158

Run 62 it was 7:52's with an HR of 155.

All of those involve HR's near threshold for me - most of my runs have been lower HR's. It's interesting (and encouraging) to see the speed increase though. I've been battling some very minor plantar fasciitis but so far it hasn't become any worse and it remains easily manageable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next