Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Married folk.
Quote | Reply
Ok so our hobby here is s-b-r. Those with a spouse not interested in the same, what is their hobby? What is a mutual hobby of you as a couple?
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're both currently s-b-r, but before we were, I was a rower and he was a runner. And we both read a lot, but very different kinds of books.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't really say we "share" hobbies. She's not an athlete, and doesn't have a competetive mindset. I would more describe our situation as mutual support for each others interests.

She's an artist. So I help her with her shows, and what-not: travel, setup/teardown, manning the booth, etc. In turn she comes to my races: both athletic and automotive, etc.

Our mutual hobby (if you want to call it that) would be remodeling the house/gardening/etc. Well...and we both enjoy going to hockey games (local ECHL teams).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She likes B/R, so we do that together, but she doesn't like it as much as I do so I don't push it. There are a lot of outdoor stuff that support a healthy lifestyle, might be a good place to start. For example, we frequently skip weekend training when we do a long overnight backpacking trip, that sort of thing.There are tons of aerobically strenuous outdoor stuff. My only tip is I would avoid forcing your hobby on her/him, if they want to do it that's fantastic, but if its a forced it can breed a feeling of obligation, then annoyance, then resentment, and that leads to the dark side. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So many rowers here.

I taught my wife (girlfriend at the time) to row, when she was told no more running, after she fract. the head of her femur. This was while doing a track workout, when she was just getting into tri.
We now both S-B-R (f*ck "no more running"), bike race, and race boats.

We, too, read *very* different kinds of books (though the wife finally read The Boys in the Boat, 4 yrs after I did).

But, she likes wheat beers, and I like IPAs: irreconcilable differences in taste. ;-)

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jan 23, 20 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Married triathletes is that a oxymoron? I thought when becoming a triathlete and racing 1/2-> full distance it entails you getting a divorce if married? or sleeping around when ever possible,No? (obviously sarcasm) but I would wonder how many people stay together after one partner gets the triathlon fever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. GF (soon to be to wife) does not s-b-r and it is my life. She is a gymnast but does not compete. We always seem to be trying to find something out of the house we both enjoy. Lately we have been lap swimming. She seems to enjoy it but only for ~30 min at a time and even then only in the afternoon. Been using that time for recovery sessions. Not sure what to do about it or even if there is something that can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She runs, but not in races (has no interest in running outside in fact), enjoys dog training and anything dog related. She actually doesn't know how to ride a bike so SBR is not in her future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ok so our hobby here is s-b-r. Those with a spouse not interested in the same, what is their hobby? What is a mutual hobby of you as a couple?

My wife is kinda of the gym class athlete. Peleton, pilates, videos etc. she does not share my passion for training for long course races. What she does support however, is my mental well being. She knows that I need this stimulus to be a reasonable human being, so she tolerates the time I spend selfishly training.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s actually his fault I got into rowing. He was a rower before we met and bought a concept 2 some time after we started living together. Taught me how to use that and then I found a nearby club that had newb classes...

Your beer comment served as a prompt. We both like nice meals and cooking, so food and drink is one of our shared hobbies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huns are our weekend thing. She hikes, I run on the same trails at the same time. Since she's hiking alone, most of the time I need to stay fairly close on the trail. She enjoys dance classes at the gym and used to ski a lot before we were married.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 23, 20 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Sex and watching Netflix
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breathing the same air

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m the SBR TRIathlete and my husband calls himself a MONathlete which is pretty clever if you ask me. He’s training for RAAM in a team of 4 this year. I’ve got Galveston 70.3 in April and we have very different mindsets in a lot of ways but the exercise or lose our mind mindset- that one we share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We both like cooking, brewing beer, and are wine snobs. We both really enjoy music (huge fans of Queen and The Who), and American Football. The only sport we play together is golf.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 years and almost have the last of 3 kids out of the house - sadly only one off the payroll! My wife runs as she says "so she can eat" but doesnt like it at all. She is into music and her career, and does her thing and we travel together and she does like hiking Kids of course been the center of things (see how empty nest goes in Aug) but I would argue with kids, having different hobbies helped much more than hindered as we weren't both fighting for training time and was easier to weave her interests and mine over our schedules. One thing we have done different than seems most is she very rarely (maybe 10 times at most out of 300 plus events) has she or kids attended. Its a lot of work, especially when kids were young, and def Oly and longer events created too much down time with the kids, and was my opportunity to hang out with what she calls the "tri-people". Early days that also helped with costs as well since I could go with other people racing. When she has gone with me to events, its either been great locations or events where you may want help crewing, like Swissman or longer ultra runs. Finally, schedule planning, communication and even educating her on your training plan helps a ton. Then she started to learn what and when sessions were more flexible, and help reschedule etc if things changed during the week.

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has been a runner through our whole 35 year marriage. She has no interest in racing and cannot understand why you would enter a race if you have no chance of winning, but is supportive of me racing. We run 'together' quite often, but usually we drive to the trail, take off in different directions, and meet back at a certain time. She was a regionally legendary show jumper (horses) as a teen and would be a horse person but married too poor to pursue that.

The last ~5 years she's also been lifting and we often go to the gym together.
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, my triathlon hobby wasn't "in the marriage contract" (inside joke between me and my husband) - I started doing this stuff about 10 years in.

In the beginning, he went and wrenched on cars and raced autocross on the weekends. I would do tri things. Then I'd meet the guys at the pub for burgers and beers after we were all done with our things for the day. Then we moved and he lost his 2,000 sq ft garage and car buddies. He still does some car things, but not every weekend anymore.

A few years back he started running with me. I picked up mountain biking in 2015 and played the "I'm new and worried that I'll get hurt" card to get him to ride with me. Now we ride together often. (he rarely runs, won't ride on skinny tires, and refuses to swim).

We also like drinking beer and camping.

It gets a bit one-sided when I get deep into training, especially for an Ironman. My last build, we were really lucky where we were friends with a near mirror image couple. She and I would go ride bikes for 100+ miles and the guys would go to cars and coffee or work on some car stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife likes to ride and run, but does not like to compete. That said, her 1 duathon, she won her age group.

She likes to cook, I like to eat, she likes yoga, We both like to drink. She likes working in the yard, I don't, but I help.

Add in volunteer work, Kids stuff, work.

That sums it up.

Did I say, we like to drink?
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you do those things together or separately??
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Wife likes to ride and run, but does not like to compete. That said, her 1 duathon, she won her age group.

She likes to cook, I like to eat, she likes yoga, We both like to drink. She likes working in the yard, I don't, but I help.

Add in volunteer work, Kids stuff, work.

That sums it up.

Did I say, we like to drink?

Well, you said "kids", so....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we met 37 years ago I was a runner and she was a person that had dabbled in tennis and track in HS but was never really into it.

She took up running 2 days after we were married. A few years later she was a member of the local running club's Women's Open Team.

When I got hurt and had to do something else I started riding a bike. Less than a month later she had a bike. With in a year she was riding with the B group of the local bike club.

When I decided to do triathlons about 15 years ago she wanted to do that as well but she didn't know how to swim. She took private swim lessons at 42.

Today we both have several marathons under out belts and have qualified for Boston 10 years in a row. We are also 5 time IM finishers. The kids are gone and one of their rooms is now dedicated to the bike trainer. We have memberships to the local college health club. I teach kids to swim and she swims with the Masters.

In summary, she chose to be interested in whatever I was interested in, and she put her mind to doing it well. She is a woman that you don't want to challenge if winning is important to you.

She's a keeper, no question.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideal hobbies include healthy cooking, bulk laundry, alone time, giving massages, and seeing you happy? /pink

But seriously I found that the key is invisible training, like super early swims (coming back when family is waking up), biking to work instead of driving, starting sunday rides as early as possible, and running home after work on mondays instead of long runs on sunday... Running at lunch at work, or at night after son is in bed, So basically sleeping less (easier when fit) and training instead of commuting or sit down lunches at work frees up the time so you dont have to sacrifice perdonal time
Quote Reply
Re: Married folk. [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I got my husband into triathlons (off road triathlons only). I started doing road triathlons in 1998 and in 2012 when I met my current husband, he was a surfer and i was still doing a lot of road biking and the occasional triathlon. Our relationship was a bit on the rocks and I was going to break up with him, but then he bought us both Mountain Bikes late in 2013 as something that we could do together. Neither of us had any mountain bike experience, and he didn't like the idea of road biking. The mountain bike was really cool, and i liked that idea of learning to ride together, so I stayed with him :-)
As soon as he gave it to me, i knew i wanted to try an Xterra. I had wanted to for years, but i didn't have a mountain bike and was scared to learn. So we learned together and in 2014 I did my first Xterra, and he did his first mountain bike races (they were short beginner races) and when I was racing Xterras, he would do the trail run or the accompanying duathlon. Then in late 2014, I taught him to swim a little and he did his first Xterra in Utah - the sprint, and loved it! He has been an avid off road triathlete ever since. I do coach him a little bit, and we do a lot of our training together, but i am much faster than him since i have a strong background. He also mostly likes to just mountain bike, so that is what we mostly do together, which is really nice.
I know it is unusual for the wife to get the husband into a sport, but maybe the take away is that if swimming, biking and running is too overwhelming to take in, try getting your wife into just one of them (or strength training). I also learned that he likes to 'coach' me too. He has had a lot of weight lifting coaching and likes to teach me that part. So maybe also show interest in something your wife is interested in, and let her 'teach you' that aspect.

My husband just started a you tube channel about our off-road triathlon life called LifeWithaFastWife, so you can check that out too https://www.youtube.com/...9cQkPanHDXZ3Nvo85P4w
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]

Prev Next