Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gooooooood morning, ladies!

Last week didn't go as planned, but when do they ever?

Training plan:
M: 2 mile run, 750M swim (done!) YES
T: Rest day (I am resting the heck out of today...) YES
W: 2 mile run NOPE
Th: 2.5 mile run, 1hr ride NOPE
F: Swim NOPE
S: 3 mile run NOPE
Su: 3 mile run, coached swim YAY, SWIMMIES!

Life goals:
1) Journal every day NOPE
2) Stop engaging with my ex when he's pushing my buttons YEAH, GO ME WOOO!
3) Make more real food KINDA?
4) Stop procrastinating and write my damn marketing paper WHOOPS.....

But, I feel great. I am taking a short break from writing my paper to check in, I had a great swim yesterday, and I signed up for the next session of masters (I keep missing sign-up and it's full by the time I remember). I've stopped feeding into my ex's just plain silliness, and I have some decent job irons in the fire. I am starting to feel like I'm reclaiming little bits of myself again, and it feels good.

Plans for this week

Training plan:
M: 3 mile run
T: 3 mile run, swim
W: 1hr bike
Th: 3 mile run
F: Swim, 1hr bike
S: 4 mile run
Su: 3 mile run, 1hr bike

Life goals:
1) Journal at least half the days
2) Continue to encourage my ex to find some damn self-sufficiency
3) Finish my marketing course
4) Plan out training for my Certified Associate in Project Management course

I hope everyone's doing well, and has a great week!
Last edited by: UK2ME: Jan 20, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC. I'm doing well, how are you? Hope all the women had a good week.

My goals were:swim x 3 (YES!); bike x 3 (YES); run x 4 (Managed 3); core x 2 (epic fail). It was a solid week. I learnt that if I don't schedule the core, it doesn't happen, so this week I'm making that change. After 3 swims in 3 different pools last week I've found my preferred pool. Dry January is going well: I'm sleeping better and my resting HR is down. Not shifting any weight yet but that usually takes longer. I'm trying to remind myself that I didn't put it all on overnight and it's not going to disappear overnight either.

This week's goals:
swim x 4 (1 done); bike x 3 (1 done); run x 4; core x 2. Unpack and hang the rest of the artwork.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go UK! I'm glad to hear that you had a good week. Enjoy the master's swimming!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiiii everyone. I had a fine week last week, except stupid school starts again tomorrow. I did everything except a swim workout. My long run outside was miserable. I'm still trying to figure out how to run in the winter around here. I did get some gear that other folks suggested, and it's helped. Anyway, it happened, I just wasn't happy doing it.

This week

M: Swim + Bird Dogs (done!)
Tu: Short, speedy run
W: Bike + strength
Th: REST!
Fr: Swim + Plank
Sa: 10k
Su: Long ride + brick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, some folks on here suggested I change my handle, on account of my not being new any more. I think they're about right, and following SoCal/TwoDollar's lead, I'm going to change it. Don't know what yet...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

Thanks for getting us started Dr. TC. I hope you had a good week!

UK, Way to get after your goals! It has to feel good to see things in green :)

Sher, my dry partner in crime, I'm glad you're feeling the consistent effects of the month! I'm right there with you on the better recovery.

GN, I am in awe of your outside activity. Remembering how the air sparkled up there because the water vapor was literally freezing before making clouds is making me cry frozen-ass tears.

Last week's goal was to keep building the base, I think. And I did! I made it through all of my workouts (thanks to my accountabilibuddies out there), and managed to add another workout of "basement bathroom reno". I could have easily done without that, but the hubs is going through a bit of "taper crazies" leading up to the superbowl, since his team is not in it for the first time in what feels like this century, and he has all this leftover nervous energy to not spend on the playoffs. Haha, shoot me.

Anyhoo, this week's goal is to make it through the rest of this first base development.

M- 2200yd swim and 50min Zwift
Tu- 5mi run and strength
W- 12mi run and EVIL DENTIST WITCHERY
Th- 1hr run and strength
F- 2000yd swim, and cycling club happy hour, which will be an exercise in staying dry.
Sa- 2hr ride and 30min run brick
Su- yoga

Have I mentioned I haven't had a legit rest day in over two weeks? Let's count down the days with me this week, pretty please.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More dentistry? This sounds awful!
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
More dentistry? This sounds awful!

Yep. Round two, aka other side of my face. So I get to look like a Bells Palsy patient again until the pain kicks in. Thankfully I don't have a video conference that night this time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm halfway through a 10-day cycle of antibiotics for an ear infection. Took last Monday off due to the ear, but got something in the other days. Hopefully I'll be feeling much better by the end of this week.

Last week:
S: 700 SCY (1:00) swim clinic
B: 15 miles (55 min)
Trainer: 0
Walk: 0.5 mi
Gym/Pilates: 2:49
Time: 4:56

The plan for this week:

Mon: swim
Tue: gym
Wed: bike
Thur: gym
Fri: swim
Sat: bike
Sun: swim videotaping session; yoga

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ok. I have collected 7 days in a row of using healthy coping skills. I'm happy about that, and proud of myself.

Last week I swam 6x (8050 yds), ran 7 times (49.5 mi), didn't bike. I played on the indoor climbing wall once, which left my legs sore for... four days? LOL.

Yesterday I had my first no-run day in quite awhile. I'm proud of myself for getting through it.

Today I called the dr's office to check in on why it is taking them so long to schedule an MRI for me. This has taken over a month and a half to just schedule. I understand part of that is because they were trying to get it scheduled in Maine, but couldn't get it scheduled in time so had to re-start the process getting it scheduled in Oklahoma (I am back and forth based on the academic schedule), but we're still at almost the five week mark and I feel frustrated.

I have two remaining grandparents, one on each "side" of the family. One is in the hospital with pneumonia - this happened yesterday afternoon - he hasn't been doing well and will likely be in hospice care soon. I am having a really hard time with this and generally feel like I can't focus on a lot right now. I am trying to keep my routine - I felt a tiny tiny bit better after I swam today - and also be kind to myself.

So, my goal this week is to continue to use healthy coping skills and keep the running miles at bay.

In the dept of good news, my local summer camp is going to have 5 weeks of camp instead of 4 this year. This is a huge deal and I was happy to get that news yesterday, though it's feeling a bit overshadowed by the other stuff in my life. I'm also about to go pick up a foster cat and I am hoping that will cheer me up a bit.

Thanks for listening.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, everyone!

UK2ME, I am happy to hear you are taking care of yourself. It sounds like you are going through a lot, but finding those little bits of yourself is important. We are here for you! And good luck on the job front.
Scheherazade, are you all moved and settled in now? If it makes you feel better, I still have artwork to hang up from when we moved almost 12 years ago XD
GiantNewb, good luck with school!
Dr_C, glad you had a good week. At least your husband is channeling his taper crazies into something productive? Haha. He can always become a Lions fan, then he never has to worry about another Super Bowl again. XD Good luck tomorrow at the dentist, get the good drugs.
ironclm, hope you are feeling better!
Dr. T., yay for healthy coping skills. Sorry to hear about your grandparent. Are you nearby that you can go see him? I totally understand the need for keeping up with your routines. I think the last two funerals I attended, I ran beforehand to clear my head. Sending you good thoughts and hopefully the cat will also bring a smile to your face.

Well, I had a really good week last week. My big news is that I swam not once, but twice for the first time since MARCH. A friend of mine is pressuring me (in a fun way) to do an indoor tri with him and I know I can't beat him on the swim, but I really want to kick his butt on the bike and run, which means I need to get through the swim first. Haha. I did a mile Friday of mostly kickboard and pull buoy just to get back in the water without panicking and did 2 x 50 free with no buoy. I did 2100 yards Sunday but cut down the kickboard and ended up doing 8 x 100 free with no buoy. So, very small steps but I actually felt fine. My thyroid was way mis/undermedicated a few years ago and I was having random anxiety attacks that were really bad in the pool. YEARS, many doctors, and many medication combinations later I feel like I finally have it under control. It has been a giant pain in the butt getting to this point. And a big F YOU to all the doctors (yes, more than one) who told me my thyroid was "fine" and I just needed an antidepressant.

Besides swimming I also rode on the trainer and ran on the treadmill three times each, and lifted weights and did yoga once each. You guys are all made of tougher stuff than me -- it has been icy and "feels like" single digits Fahrenheit so my butt has stayed inside. I have moved my "long" run to 9 miles on the treadmill after work these past two Mondays and I'm not hating it. I am hoping it warms up in time for a long run outside Sunday though.

Goals this week: Run 3-4 times (1 done), swim 2-3 times, ride on the trainer 3 times, lift at least once, yoga at least once, DO MY PT EXERCISES.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dr. T., yay for healthy coping skills. Sorry to hear about your grandparent. Are you nearby that you can go see him? I totally understand the need for keeping up with your routines. I think the last two funerals I attended, I ran beforehand to clear my head. Sending you good thoughts and hopefully the cat will also bring a smile to your face.

No, I'm in Oklahoma and he's near Boston. My parents are visiting him today.

The foster cat has arrived and is under the couch.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You guys are all made of tougher stuff than me -- it has been icy and "feels like" single digits Fahrenheit so my butt has stayed inside.

I do almost all of my running on the treadmill.

Nice job on your swims!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sending hugs for the lows. Keep up the good work on the healthy coping!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. Good job with your coping and good luck with everything you're balancing, I'm thinking of you.

I had a nice week of not sports and an enjoyable long weekend which included a trip to the snow to ski -- it's so nice for me to have the mountains so close.

Last week my goals were: 3 swims, 4 bikes, and 5 runs plus yoga and p/rehab with some real work in there.

I managed it all but the rust at the top end is very real -- hoping that shakes off in a week or two.

This week, it's more of the same. I'm taking a complete rest day today and will have 2 swims, 5 bikes, and 4 runs plus my yoga and p/rehab. As intensity ramps up, I need to be really good about my p/rehab and pay better attention to sleep, nutrition, etc.

GiantNewb, I was thinking of you (and MistressK) as I added screws to the soles of my shoes to prepare for the ice and snow ... it didn't materialize but I'm ready for when it does #nevertreadmill Sher, I hope you're settling in too.
UK, nice work -- and welcome to our accountabilibuddy system :) Cupcake, good job, good luck, and get some rest. Feel better ironclm!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question about the screws - do you just get super short ones so they don't come through the sole?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup! I put 9 hex shaped sheet metal screws into each sole -- I used all the same 3/8th hex but depending on your sole you might want to use something bigger/smaller (each shoe will have a balance between poking yourself in the foot and security of the screw).

I use an older pair so I don't have to worry about about taking the screws out in the spring. Then, I mark where I want the holes with a sharpie and then insert the screws with a cordless drill -- you can use a screwdriver but it's work.

click click click -- happy training!

P.S. This would have been a funnier post if my handle was still SoCal.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the hubs is going through a bit of "taper crazies" leading up to the superbowl,

lol

Quote:
Have I mentioned I haven't had a legit rest day in over two weeks? Let's count down the days with me this week, pretty please.
I almost always hate rest days. What do you like about them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

I almost always hate rest days. What do you like about them?

I like the fact that I can sleep in and relax and shut my brain off out of "workout mode" for 24 hours. My schedule for work lately has me waking up entirely too early and coming home entirely too late to get everything done, including my workouts. Plus, my post-menopausal body doesn't take too kindly to prolonged periods of stress, and if it goes too long I will stop metabolizing my HRT meds and become a shit mess again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your grandpa TC! I'm a bit jealous of the foster cat. I'm a lifelong cat person, but my dumb husband developed an allergy. Jerk.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooh, new name! Thank goodness for your signature line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it would help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of you Dr TC, I hope everything is going as peacefully and gracefully as possible for you this week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My grandfather is in hospice but kind of rallied yesterday when my aunt got in (he's in Boston; she lives in Indiana). My parents are there today.

I am doing okay. In some ways I feel like I'm making all the wrong big choices. I will be in Boston at the end of the month and had planned to see him then, so I did not visit in late December when I was in the area and I regret that deeply. Additionally, my parents didn't think he'd live through the week, so I did not try to fly in this weekend even though I considered it. I'm possibly on the crux of making a major upward career move and am super busy with that, I probably could have made a weekend trip work but it would have been difficult to do so ... so I'm in Oklahoma, my parents and aunt are in Boston, my grandfather is kind of "in and out" my mom says and I'm not sure I made the right choice. I think I do know and feel deep down that my grandparents have always been very very very proud of my career and would tell me not to feel guilty. I felt really really guilty that I wasn't there last night and this morning and I'm settling with it a bit more now (running helped).

But I certainly regret not visiting in December. I guess I thought "he'll be here in February"; it really has not hit me how fast things can happen health-wise with elderly people. I'm trying to take this as a lesson learned and not beat myself up too much.

Quote Reply

Prev Next