Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Parents Staying With You - What Is Their Max Length Stay? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Around 2, maybe 3 hours.

For some parents it is better to visit them. I've lived in my house for 13 years, I think my father in law has been in it twice. The place before was for 7 years, he was never there. So that has worked out perfectly.

My dad won't stay anywhere for more than a few hours before he has to get home.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Staying With You - What Is Their Max Length Stay? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Enjoy every minute you can with them because when they are gone you'll rue not doing so

What if they just stop by?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Staying With You - What Is Their Max Length Stay? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vacation? Probably a couple days at most. That's for both sets of parents, wife's and mine. And even that's rare. Both live out of state, but they also have other family in California, so when they're out here, they don't stay at one place that long, and sometimes they will stay in a hotel. We have a guest bedroom with it's own bathroom, so it's not much of an imposition, but I think they're also considerate of us..

Several years back, my in-laws moved out of state while my father-in-law still worked near us. He tried to do the long distance commute thing, where he lived in town for four days and went home for three. For about six months or so, he stayed at our house when he was in town. He was super considerate, would leave early in the morning and would often eat out for dinner or see a movie in the evening in order to give us out time. He was enjoyable to have around because it wasn't an imposition. After around six months, he bought a condo so that he could have a different place to stay at.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Staying With You - What Is Their Max Length Stay? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
Enjoy every minute you can with them because when they are gone you'll rue not doing so

What if they just stop by?

Ha, I was thinking the same thing!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Staying With You - What Is Their Max Length Stay? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Around 2, maybe 3 hours.

For some parents it is better to visit them. I've lived in my house for 13 years, I think my father in law has been in it twice. The place before was for 7 years, he was never there. So that has worked out perfectly.

My dad won't stay anywhere for more than a few hours before he has to get home.

Not to mention, not everyone has the best relationship with their parents.

I love mine, and they are rock star grandparents. But our relationship is complicated, especially with my mom. She is incredibly overbearing. Some hard boundaries need to be put in place and constantly enforced. It gets tiresome and creates a lot of needless stress in the house.

I prefer short, more frequent visits so I don't feel bad if I have to pull the plug on a moment's notice. We live close enough that we can do this.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents Staying With You - What Is Their Max Length Stay? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
For their stay, can you rent an office space somewhere for the week, so you have a quiet space to go and do your work during the day?

This is was my first experience with an extended trip but I am just rolling with it and see where it goes. I do like to use pretty powerful computers for some of my work and I also like to walk on a treadmill while I walk. I am sure I could ad-hoc it with a Panera or a Starbucks, and it has been totally fine but I am curious about a lot of things and how we age/how we change is one of those things so it gives me a different lens My dad has always been a go-go-go type of guy. It can be exhausting, most people his age can't keep up. While I am a super friendly person, and very talkative, I also need a fair bit of solitude as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next