Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Heidelfix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heidelfix wrote:
So I have done my 50th "run" today (two "in the tank", I think), although all of these "runs" have been honest-effort walk-runs. I had been hampered from running by problems with my achilles-tendons for some years.

The first power-walks contained only ONE 30-second-interval of running. Later I did two, then three and then more and more 30-second-intervals of running every five minutes of walking; I have changed that to running for 30 seconds every two minutes for a while now.

The surprising thing is: This little volume and low intensity has been exhausting! I felt tired after some weeks of doing this very modest training. My tendons didn´t respond the way I had imagined: They did hurt, they were stiff, especially in the mornings, and my running-gait, which seemed to be nice, fast, "round" and springy in the first walk-runs, became a stiff shuffle - just the way I had been running for the last years before the tendons had finally stopped me.
My original plan for the 100/100-challenge had been to extend the running intervals to 45 sec. and then a minute etc. untill I would finally run for 30 minutes. But with this hobble-gait I didn´t want to do that. So I sticked with the 30 seconds, tried to focus on form, step-frequency, mid-foot striking etc.

At the half-time of the challenge I am nowhere near I had hoped to be at that point. But these hopes were probably idle to start with. The achievement is: Six weeks ago I was not running at all; fifty runs ago I could do ONE 30-second-interval, now I do up to 20. That is good!

And today - for the first time in weeks - the running intervals felt like real running again. Today I could believe in my return to running, believe in me one day running the 10k of an oly tri again.

So thank you again for this challenge! And forza and go-for-it to all the STers for the second half of it!

Excellent progress, keep it up!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I didn't plan to but since I've been doing a reasonable amount of running, I signed up. Strava backfilled my log and I was surprised to see 32 out of 50!

I'm into peak 70.3 training so running is important, but not all-important.

This challenge set up a solid year for me last year by getting me back to base miles and I hope many will find that same benefit. Plus, seeing mistressk's photos again are a bonus! She's a different kind of 'ultra' nut than bluestacks.

Enjoy the second half people!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really nice to hear all the stories! I used to live in Montana, so I feel for mistressk, I miss Montana, but not so much the running in winter. But reading mistressk latest blogs it seems even muddier than the UK, and nothing like a cold Montana winter at the moment.
And Heidelfix, good to hear there's progress! Achillesses can be a pain and always take long to heal.
What Bluestack and those other ultrarunners are doing is just amazing.

Halfway through, time for an update for me too.

TriStart wrote:
Still on the program from my physio therapist, which recommends not running too much. I'm doing just-over 30' runs most days. To keep the run streak I do 15-20' runs the other day. Doesn't count to 100/100, but I still exercise and build up my running at the moment. Apart from that a lot of exercising aimed at strength and mobility, mostly for the lower abdomen and glutes.
Started ramping up the running only 10 days ago, and I'm now 12/20 in the 100/100, more than I anticipated at the start. The goal is 70/100 at the end.

Since posting that on Dec 20 things have been going really well actually. Gradually progressing from no medal, to a bronze medal to a silver medal. Now at 42 runs, didn't miss a single 30' runs since the last posting. Slowly added a little more distance, but I've done 4 consecutive weeks of about 50km, and I've never done more than 2 consecutive weeks with 50k before. I really feel my running is progressing. My body is taking it well so far too, not really any niggles. I'm not planning to add much more running distance, instead I've added a swim and started picking up cycling with 2-3 trainer rides in the week. The fysio stuff is still going in the right direction too, but those exercises have intensified so need a little more recovery time as well.
Still a ski trip in Feb which will be challenging to run 30' each day and some busy weeks at work ahead, but I'll adjust my goal to 80-85, and will revisit that after the ski trip.!
Last edited by: TriStart: Jan 19, 20 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are halfway through!!! Day 50

Here are those I consider "with me" on the sub 5:00/km pace average for everyday challenge. Lets assume you ran everyday :p

1 danstu4 4:16/km
2 Sbernardi 4:19/km
3 synthetic 4:38/km
4 PomDad 4:39/km
5 twcronin 4:41/km
6 Bass 4:42/km
7 ADabs 4:42/km
8 qintegral 4:43/km
9 snny 4:44/km
10 rmg 4:44/km
11 PMo 4:44/km
12 Tony.White 4:48/km
13 triczyk 4:49/km
14 wjoiner 4:52/km
15 plant_based 4:54/km
16 mlawless 4:55/km
17 Ktri 4:55/km
18 LKtriMom 4:56/km
19 msprang 4:58/km
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Welcome back doc!

I seem to have come down with the flu 4 days ago (tested positive for type A). I'm emerging from the fog, finally. I guess next week I'll be working to catch back up with easy doubles while I ease back into harder running as the body continues to recover.

Things were going so well after managing my first 2 back to back 50+ mpw weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
half way through, one run down (no worries), but 100/100 this year is not going well for me. no injuries so far (unlike last year), but over the last month my runs have just become steadily worse, not better.

we moved to santa fe last year, and to be honest, it feels like the acclimation process all over again ... i can still move at some decent speed downhill, but even the slightest uphill grade (or even the perception of an uphill grade) and everything just goes to hell. no energy, tightness of chest, no motivation. I know that last year it really took me a long time to fully adjust to life at 6-7000', but that should all be over now. Instead, I'm out shuffling round 4 miles trail loops at 11-13 min/mile unless it's downhill.

this is very frustrating, but i've had enough "success" from previous 100/100 attempts (whether completed or not) to just keep going. maybe i get faster again, maybe i don't ... i will still burn calories, get outdoors, see some nice views.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
We are halfway through!!! Day 50

Here are those I consider "with me" on the sub 5:00/km pace average for everyday challenge. Lets assume you ran everyday :p

1 danstu4 4:16/km
2 Sbernardi 4:19/km
3 synthetic 4:38/km
4 PomDad 4:39/km
5 twcronin 4:41/km
6 Bass 4:42/km
7 ADabs 4:42/km
8 qintegral 4:43/km
9 snny 4:44/km
10 rmg 4:44/km
11 PMo 4:44/km
12 Tony.White 4:48/km
13 triczyk 4:49/km
14 wjoiner 4:52/km
15 plant_based 4:54/km
16 mlawless 4:55/km
17 Ktri 4:55/km
18 LKtriMom 4:56/km
19 msprang 4:58/km

Halfway through and I'm very happy with this challenge! 60/50 and a little over 450 miles -- some of my warmup/cooldown runs for workouts are <3 miles so don't count at all in the challenge but I count them for overall volume. Relative to my personal goals of 130/100 and 8 miles/day I'm behind on frequency but well ahead on volume. Niggles coming into the challenge have mostly improved and (fingers crossed!) not a lot of new ones have popped up. 49/50 days running (sorry synthetic I missed a day when flying east), 0 treadmill miles, some indoor track workouts but the vast majority outdoors. Boston winter has (fingers crossed, again!) not been too punishing so far. In these first 7 weeks I've really been doing base building and only a few workouts; the intensity will build over the second half, especially after mid-February -- in prep for a half marathon mid-March, the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in early April, and Boston Marathon mid-April.

Healthy and frequent running to all in the second half of the challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Thanks, Randy!! I had a big day out. I’m going to keep chasing. Fun!!

I'd been having a very stressful end of the week, and thought a run Saturday morning would be what I needed

However, with snow, sleet and freezing rain, I got myself a little sick, so I'll be slipping down the leaderboard for a couple days

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, you jinxed me! Back strained this AM. Lets hope a day or two of rest nips this and I can get back to it. Stupid SI joint.
On the plus side, I’ve been feeling so much better this time attempting the 100. Leg toughness and resilience unlike previously, finally feeling some control over myself like I haven’t had in years.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
49/50 days running (sorry synthetic I missed a day when flying east), 0

Healthy and frequent running to all in the second half of the challenge!

East = Asia? The would be impossible to run on a plane.

But if within couple, I have before set watch on indoor mode during layovers and run indoor mode between terminals (chicago, Miami, Philadelphia). Other things I do is run outside airport or run to/from airport... Yes I travel light
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Thanks, Randy!! I had a big day out. I’m going to keep chasing. Fun!!

I'd been having a very stressful end of the week, and thought a run Saturday morning would be what I needed

However, with snow, sleet and freezing rain, I got myself a little sick, so I'll be slipping down the leaderboard for a couple days

Man, those stressful weeks are so brutal. I had a couple of those a few weeks back. Hopefully you’ll get a break from the stress.

If it’s a standard cold, consider running really easy midday. Running can be a bouncy walk, you know. Only one foot on the ground at a time. If you have serious aspirations for 100/100, give the bouncy walk a try. Getting out and doing it is legit. Or maybe rest for a day or two. You know you best.

I’ve been doing a lot of trail running recently. As I try to complete my runs within my allotted time, I’ve been thinking about efficiency and optimal pacing. One day last week I was cutting it really close for picking my kids up after school. I needed to be strategic. I was stressing (worries: late at pick up, rattlesnakes, mountain lions, stranger danger on trails). I was also thinking that on really, really steep trail sections, walking is probably more efficient than running. If you save energy by power walking up those parts, you should be able to spring back into running as soon as the trail warrants it and make better time overall. The transition back into running probably needs careful attention so that you don’t slack effort and lose time.

Is it bad to run when you’re sick? If it’s a standard cold, it’s probably not a big deal. But mentally, it just might not be appealing. Sometimes it’s good to not force a run. Overreaching can be dangerous.

I’ll keep my eyes on you. I hope you feel better soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it bad I took an entire week off when we had snow on the ground in Vancouver?
got back into it yesterday - but unfortunately i'm 9 runs behind now :(((((
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
is it bad I took an entire week off when we had snow on the ground in Vancouver?
got back into it yesterday - but unfortunately i'm 9 runs behind now :(((((

I’m sure you can make up 9 runs. Easy peasy. : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
If it’s a standard cold, consider running really easy midday ... Or maybe rest for a day or two. You know you best.

My Rule of Thumb

Cold in the head = get out of bed
Cold in the chest = get your rest

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Survived a week of -30 in Calgary and only 1 run down. 50/51.

For the most part have been keeping the runs at the 5km mark, as running everyday is certainly more than my typical Ironman training. Currently 17 weeks out from my first every marathon, (Calgary Marathon, May 31st #BQorBust) so I'll be ramping up the distance some of the days in the coming weeks.. I'm a 100/100 newbie, and it's been great so far!

mstewarttri 50 25:42:33 324.07km 4:45/km

Strava
Last edited by: mstewarttri: Jan 20, 20 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
If it’s a standard cold, consider running really easy midday ... Or maybe rest for a day or two. You know you best.

My Rule of Thumb

Cold in the head = get out of bed
Cold in the chest = get your rest

That, AND anything involving a fever...stay the F home.

Of course, for me last week there was literally no hope. I felt fine Wednesday morning before my lunch run. I went out for an 8-9 mile progressive run, on what I thought was a rectangular-ish route. Unfortunately, the third side of the rectangle did NOT connect back to the 4th side. So, I had to back track the entire thing...making the whole thing 10 1/2 over a "lunch break". By 3pm that afternoon, I've got chest congestion, watery eyes, a headache, and a fever. Stopped by the clinic and tested postive for Influenza--Type A.

I've been down for the count since, until today. I'm back at it....and did 3 slow miles at lunch. Now starts the slow march back to normal (running that is).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just past the halfway point and checking in on my earlier hypothesis regarding pace and heart rate. So far I can run about 30 seconds faster given the HR of my first few runs, or run that original 9:10ish pace with a heart rate about 10 beats lower. Other than some nagging - but manageable - plantar fasciitis I feel great. I’ll never be a fast runner but feeling great cracking out 8:20’s or so is an accomplishment for me.

Running in very high heat and humidity for a couple weeks while traveling for work killed my overall pace but made for a nice change. These past few days have been back to running in ~15 degrees F and snow. Once you get used to the cold it’s really great for running - never worry about overheating.

Hoping the PF subsides. PT is pretty adamant we get that under control before full IM training starts in early March. That will overlap with this challenge by about 10 interesting days.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and having fun.
Last edited by: SJK: Jan 20, 20 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstewarttri wrote:

but thats a dry cold right ;)

thanks for making me feel soft for not running once when there was like 2 inches of snow on the ground
Last edited by: y_nigel: Jan 20, 20 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well to be honest I only went out into that temp once. But today's 0 degrees and it feels like summer! haha. Running outside is back on the menu.

y_nigel wrote:

but thats a dry cold right ;)

thanks for making me feel soft for not running once when there was like 2 inches of snow on the ground

mstewarttri wrote:

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well woke up this weekend feeling pretty crummy. Chest was tight from congestion and felt nauseous. I’ve been in bed except 30 mins or so here and there. I’m pretty sure I have the flu since last time I couldn’t get out of bed due to illness was Lyme.

I have a dry cough and I’m achy....interesting no fever but weak as I can be. Looks like the flu is going around. I guess I’ll need a week of no running so lots of doubles when I’m back 100%!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [DavidMac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ugh - good luck
thats how I fell behind back in mid December
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, just to be clear, I live some way south of the real Sangre de Cristos, in the Galisteo Basin. Still at 6100', but I'm well adapted by now. If I had to run in the Sangre de Cristos right now, I'd be dying! Our runs up there typically start above 8000' and go up to 12000'. Handy if I ever wanted to race at sea level but otherwise just freakin' hard even living at half that altitude.

Ironically, the last two days have been surprisingly fast. I had a terrible performance at the 2nd of the Galisteo Basin Trail races ("The Goat", 9 miles with snow). But Sunday and Monday saw me out on the road occasionally dipping below 8:00 min/mile. No idea why, or whether there's any longer term salvation ahead.

Last year, I ran a 50km "next weekend" after never running more than 10 miles in the build up. Not sure I'm close to that, but I did approach it last year by starting out "insanely slow" (14:00 min/mile) and eventually finished in 6h30m which all things considered was pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
Dan, just to be clear, I live some way south of the real Sangre de Cristos, in the Galisteo Basin. Still at 6100', but I'm well adapted by now. If I had to run in the Sangre de Cristos right now, I'd be dying! Our runs up there typically start above 8000' and go up to 12000'. Handy if I ever wanted to race at sea level but otherwise just freakin' hard even living at half that altitude.

Ironically, the last two days have been surprisingly fast. I had a terrible performance at the 2nd of the Galisteo Basin Trail races ("The Goat", 9 miles with snow). But Sunday and Monday saw me out on the road occasionally dipping below 8:00 min/mile. No idea why, or whether there's any longer term salvation ahead.

Last year, I ran a 50km "next weekend" after never running more than 10 miles in the build up. Not sure I'm close to that, but I did approach it last year by starting out "insanely slow" (14:00 min/mile) and eventually finished in 6h30m which all things considered was pretty good.

trust the process, brother. (if my wife and i didn't have family where we are, we'd be your neighbors.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Heidelfix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of you to say - I feel like my running is really quite modest these days, and I know I'm off last year's 100 in 100 pace, but I was so happy to see winter finally return on Saturday!

The grasses stuck on that chunk of wood at the river's edge are very telling of the flooding we had last weekend from almost 4 inches of rain in 24hrs. There was some slightly sketchy ice under the snow in this section Saturday morning - nothing like having the "ground" give way under you while running!

It snowed from 7am until about 7pm, turned to rain for awhile (as I was out snowshoe running around my neighbourhood), then back to snow for a bit into the night.

Woke up to a beautiful bluebird day and went snowman hunting around my hood!

Finally got the xc skis out for the first time this season in the afternoon - it was cold and windy but stunning on the trails.

As the sun dropped, we got back to the car and I switched up footwear to get my first run in my racing snowshoes in for the year. So much easier on the now-packed snow than the night before in my big, heavy EVA pair in 6" of fresh!

Feeling slightly more prepared for the 3 snowshoe races I have coming next month, now. First one in less than 2 weeks (Feb 2nd)!

Quote | Reply
Week 6: 41 runs | 123.8 mi | 17.7 hours

Cuboid syndrome (right), very mild
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Metatarsalgia (left), moderate
Plantar Fasciitis (left), very mild
Sore throat, moderate
Head cold, severe

Day 36: 8 runs | 24.2 mi
Day 37: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 38: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 39: 9 runs | 27.2 mi
Day 40: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 41: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 42: 5 runs | 15.1 mi

The sore throat at the end of last week immediately transitioned into a nasty head cold. It peaked in severity midway through the week on day 39 and finally only went away on day 42. This was now two weeks in a row running through head colds. Hopefully that will be the end of them for the remainder of the challenge but likely not. With pounding I am doing to my body and immune system, the smallest virus my kids catch will likely wreck me each time.

The injury on the ball of my left foot (Metatarsalgia) continued to improve this week. It did not hurt to run or walk anymore but every now and then during day to day activities I would step on it the wrong way and a tingling sensation would remind me that it just isn't fully healed yet. Even though my injury list is still long and capped off with another head cold, this week was a step in the right direction compared to last week.

I believe the new course on Zwift (May Field Track) was released the previous week. I only stumbled upon the new course at the beginning of this week. Almost every mile on Zwift this week was on May Field track. You would think that the only thing worse than running day after day on a track would be running day after day on a treadmill. Now combine them, treadmill and track at the same time. It is surprisingly fun to run around a track in Zwift. I see a lot more runners and start to see familiar names and avatars on the track day after day. I even spotted Slowman one day. The track kind of brings the running community a little closer together. Every now and then I venture off the track mid-run and work my way to downtown Watopia for a change.

----------------------------------------

Week 7: 42 runs | 126.7 mi | 18.2 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Metatarsalgia (left), very mild

Day 43: 8 runs | 24.1 mi
Day 44: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 45: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 46: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 47: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 48: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 49: 9 runs | 27.2 mi

It was a huge boost to run this week without a head cold. My cuboid syndrome is finally healed. I still run with the cuboid pad in my sock for caution, but I have not had cuboid pain in a long time. Pain in the ball of my left foot (Metatarsalgia) is almost completely gone. Barring any set back I will remove it from my injury list next week. Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome in my right knee has come and gone many times the past few weeks. It came back this week here and there. Without taking time off, all I can do is continue to ice my knee and hope for the best.

This is the healthiest I have been in weeks. Unfortunately, now my mental edge is starting to slip. I have been rating each run on a scale of 1 to 10 both physical and mental. The last few days of this week were the first time that my mental rating has been lower than physical. There have been many times lately where I just don't want to go back to the garage for another run, yet I do it 3, 4 or 5 more times. It is starting to become hard mentally for me. When I came into this challenge this year one of my goals was not to repeat last year in the sense that I coasted through the back half when I had more to give physically. I have always had the mindset that if it stops being fun, don't do it. That said, the challenge this year is the exception. I really want to get through the mental lows and not give up.

I have been so focused on documenting injuries that I often forget mention that my muscles do hurt. Calves hurt the most. Sometimes quads and sometimes hamstrings. I wouldn't say I have any muscle injuries in the sense that I do for tendons, bones, joints etc. My muscles do in fact hurt though. Some days more than others. The worst for me is at night in bed, everything stiffens up and that is when I have pain.

I ran almost exclusively on May Field track again this week. I have been running a lot with Slowtwitch Indoors the past few weeks. We run at 7AM EST and 7PM EST on both Mondays and Wednesdays. I usually make it to every evening run but I have only made it to a couple morning runs as they conflicts with my work schedule. I am looking forward to running with Anthony Familglietti during the Slowtwitch Indoors special event this Friday.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply

Prev Next