Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baking
Quote | Reply
No not baked---i still have to maintain a security clearance

So yesterday i was on dinner duty as my wife works weekends. I made a 15 bean soup with ham hocks and thought I'd try my hand at making a loaf of dutch oven wheat bread. It turned out really good. I surprised myself. Also made a pumpkin pie while i was at it.

Nothing like a hot bowl of good soup and fresh hot bread on a cold winter day

Got any good baking recipes/ideas?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this one from All Recipes to make Chess Squares. I try various cake mixes for different flavors. Lemon is good, so is Carrot Cake. The last batch I made was with a Spice cake recipe. It was probably the best.

I will add to the directions. I use parchment paper to line the baking pan. When you remove the pan from the oven, you will think that it isn't done yet, ignore that. I let the pan cool, usually by putting it in a baking pan with water. After it has cooled down, I put it in the freezer for almost an hour. This firms up the top part.

If you like cheesecake, you will love this recipe.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Jan 18, 20 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homemade:
white bread
Focaccia

Want to make croissants

My baking and cooking has been curtailed of late
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick

No linky? Sounds like a great desert and within my capability.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some buttermilk bread dough rising in a warm oven as we speak. Best toast I've ever tasted. Gonna turn it into dinner tonight as well as grilled cheese sammiches along with homemade tomato soup (halve the tomatoes, brush with olive oil, salt, pepper, some dried oregano and basil, and then grill until barely holding their shape; plop into a blender with some cream and blend until smooth....fantastic).

Also like making crusty artisanal loaves as well.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
I have some buttermilk bread dough rising in a warm oven as we speak. Best toast I've ever tasted. Gonna turn it into dinner tonight as well as grilled cheese sammiches along with homemade tomato soup (halve the tomatoes, brush with olive oil, salt, pepper, some dried oregano and basil, and then grill until barely holding their shape; plop into a blender with some cream and blend until smooth....fantastic).

Also like making crusty artisanal loaves as well.

Recipe por favor
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 cups bread flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1.5 - 2 tbsp instant rise yeast
4-5 tbsp butter - melted
3.25 - 3.5 cups full fat buttermilk
2 - 3 tsp sugar

Measure first 3 ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer; whisk to mix.
Measure buttermilk into measuring cup; add sugar. When butter is melted, add to buttermilk and stir to combine.
Add buttermilk mixture to bowl with flour mixture, put in stand mixer and attach dough hook.
Mix on low until dough forms. Dough should be fairly sticky.
Remove dough and knead until smooth and elastic, but still tacky. You will probably need additional flour on the kneading surface to keep the dough from sticking.
Put dough into a large container, cover, and let rise until doubled in bulk (in the winter I put the dough in a warmed oven); about 2-3 hours.
Once dough has risen, remove from bowl and punch down. Grease two standard loaf pans (PAM works great). Divide into two, and form into loaves (use edge of hand to create a divot and then punch together; continue doing so until loaf is long enough for loaf pan; place seam side down).
Let bread rise until the dough is about 1-2” above loaf pan edge.
Place loaf pans in 350 degree oven and bake for about 35 minutes.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
7 cups bread flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1.5 - 2 tbsp instant rise yeast
4-5 tbsp butter - melted
3.25 - 3.5 cups full fat buttermilk
2 - 3 tsp sugar

Measure first 3 ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer; whisk to mix.
Measure buttermilk into measuring cup; add sugar. When butter is melted, add to buttermilk and stir to combine.
Add buttermilk mixture to bowl with flour mixture, put in stand mixer and attach dough hook.
Mix on low until dough forms. Dough should be fairly sticky.
Remove dough and knead until smooth and elastic, but still tacky. You will probably need additional flour on the kneading surface to keep the dough from sticking.
Put dough into a large container, cover, and let rise until doubled in bulk (in the winter I put the dough in a warmed oven); about 2-3 hours.
Once dough has risen, remove from bowl and punch down. Grease two standard loaf pans (PAM works great). Divide into two, and form into loaves (use edge of hand to create a divot and then punch together; continue doing so until loaf is long enough for loaf pan; place seam side down).
Let bread rise until the dough is about 1-2” above loaf pan edge.
Place loaf pans in 350 degree oven and bake for about 35 minutes.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to get a Dutch oven.

Been baking white/sandwich bread every week for the last 10 months. Can't take the taste of store bought sandwich bread anymore.

Daughter has a bunch of friends sleeping over tonight. Will make them cinnamon buns tomorrow morning before they get up.
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert. Got Spot's recipe bookmarked now

Cooking a loaf in a Dutch Oven it turns out is ridiculously easy! Who knew?

i am a Domestic Goddess!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was feeling nostalgic the other day and busted out my grandmother's recipe for jam-filled cookies. Nailed it. Like, tears of happiness nailed it.

I also bake all the bread in house. I've kept a starter alive for over two years now.

My favorite thing to bake are cakes. Sadly there's only two of us so a cake usually gets made for a special occasion. The last cake I made was a rum cake for Thanksgiving. Before that it was my chocolate torte (made with roasted beets!) with dark chocolate ganache.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
without pic's yours is just literary pron. Pics?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
without pic's yours is just literary pron. Pics?

Oh geez. Well, the cookies got devoured before any photographic evidence could be collected. Here's a pic of the torte to tide you over (from the first time I made it).

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks good!

also looks like you will be making some banana bread in the next day or two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.breadworld.com/...andma's-Raisin-Bread

great for toast. Also make awesome french toast. Just put some in the oven to bake

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Rick

No linky? Sounds like a great desert and within my capability.

Dang it. I had copied the link but forgot to paste it.

Link for recipe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make bread about once a week, nothing fancy but always appreciated.

A couple times of year I get a cake baking apron on. This yule log was for xmas -- recipe here. Not that hard.

For inspiration I like the youTube Food Wishes channel.

Love or hate his voice -- the recipes are airtight. The vids are great because you can get the shape of it in your head and decide whether or not you want to tackle.

He does a ton of bread -- very nice flatbreads. We tried the pourable pizza -- fun and different.

Anyway love the pics, this thread needs to be a fixture.
Last edited by: kiki: Jan 19, 20 2:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made this at Christmas.

https://www.foodandwine.com/...s/salted-caramel-pie

insanely good and easy (a little time consuming but easy).

no pics, it went fast
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have bookmarked that page and will make that Yule Log next holiday season. I see the recipe calls for Caster Sugar? I ordered some caster sugar to make a "Drowned Baby" which is a favorite meal of Captain Jack Aubrey in the Aubrey/Maturin historical novels. I gather it's a English thing? Can I just use powdered sugar or do you think I need to order more caster sugar?

thanks

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bullshark wrote:

no pics, it went fast

I'm making this. Holy moly that looks good
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
bullshark wrote:

no pics, it went fast

Yeah, one look and I was in . My wife and get salted caramel blizzards when we go to DQ, so this is right up our alley. Thanks for sharing bullshark.
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
windywave wrote:
bullshark wrote:

no pics, it went fast

Yeah, one look and I was in . My wife and get salted caramel blizzards when we go to DQ, so this is right up our alley. Thanks for sharing bullshark.

I didnt have the fleur de sel so I used Maldon Sea Salt flakes. Its almost magical to make - turning the sweetened condensed milk into caramel. Its by far the best caramel i have ever had. good luck and enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Thanks! I have bookmarked that page and will make that Yule Log next holiday season. I see the recipe calls for Caster Sugar? I ordered some caster sugar to make a "Drowned Baby" which is a favorite meal of Captain Jack Aubrey in the Aubrey/Maturin historical novels. I gather it's a English thing? Can I just use powdered sugar or do you think I need to order more caster sugar?

thanks

caster is slightly finer than granulated, for when you want a quick dissolve.

For this recipe, I didn't look too carefully when I grabbed the sugar out of the cupboard. I think you could swap in granulated (or find some baking sugar, the same as caster and maybe less expensive than an import). Powdered might get messy in the mixer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn that looks tasty.

If I knew how to bake, Is probably weigh 1000lbs by now. I can't keep my hands off the stuff.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Baking [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've seen that if you need a finer grade of granulated sugar (caster sugar), just pop some regular sugar into the food processor for a bit.
Or, yeah, they have some finer sugar at the store.

I always have to re-translate the British Baking Show terms into American. One of my goals this year is to try some of the technical bakes from that show this year.
Quote Reply