Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hey folks, for the Gen2 frames, has anyone else found it a little difficult getting adequate reach using the mono extensions?

I seem to fit a medium very well according to size charts. My reach number is about 45cm to back of pads. But when I set the pads up in that position, even using the 'long' mono extension set all the way out, I find that my hands are landing about an inch beyond the ends of the extension. I'm using the mid-far stem. This kind of surprised me as I have t-rex short arms, I'm the guy who buys the dress shirts in the 32/33 arm length...
I have ordered the trek mono bar piece that allows you to use your own extensions, so I know I'll get the length I need with that, but just found it odd that the stock long mono extension didn't work for me...

The Mono Plugin is your best bet. Since we're all built differently, sometimes our preset parts don't fit as well. But our fitment guide really only covers the pad and basebar reach and excludes the mono extension since it can be changed around with ease. It would be interesting to see a side photo of your arm and hands on the current setup though...

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
TriHardMatt wrote:
Anyone have any idea on how long it takes to get a Speed Concept with Projet One paint job after ordering it?

Thanks in advance.

Currently, we have an 18 day lead time which can vary based on the number of orders

Thanks, Mitch. I sent you a message. Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hey folks, for the Gen2 frames, has anyone else found it a little difficult getting adequate reach using the mono extensions?

I seem to fit a medium very well according to size charts. My reach number is about 45cm to back of pads. But when I set the pads up in that position, even using the 'long' mono extension set all the way out, I find that my hands are landing about an inch beyond the ends of the extension. I'm using the mid-far stem. This kind of surprised me as I have t-rex short arms, I'm the guy who buys the dress shirts in the 32/33 arm length...
I have ordered the trek mono bar piece that allows you to use your own extensions, so I know I'll get the length I need with that, but just found it odd that the stock long mono extension didn't work for me...

The Mono Plugin is your best bet. Since we're all built differently, sometimes our preset parts don't fit as well. But our fitment guide really only covers the pad and basebar reach and excludes the mono extension since it can be changed around with ease. It would be interesting to see a side photo of your arm and hands on the current setup though...

This is an extremely common problem with the factory arrow bar set ups. When the pad reach is maxed the extensions are way to short.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about changing the aerobars on my Trek SC. I think I would benefit from some ski bends. I liked the look of Tim O'Donnell's Kona set up. I'm currently using the monobar. I seem to recall seeking an adapter that allows for the use of separate (and non-Trek branded) tri bars. But I don't see it anywhere on the current website. Is it for sale anywhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I'm thinking about changing the aerobars on my Trek SC. I think I would benefit from some ski bends. I liked the look of Tim O'Donnell's Kona set up. I'm currently using the monobar. I seem to recall seeking an adapter that allows for the use of separate (and non-Trek branded) tri bars. But I don't see it anywhere on the current website. Is it for sale anywhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

We don't sell it online so it would be dealer-only. But you are looking for the Mono Plug-In as mentioned above. If you search this thread, we do have a complete part listing.

But you will want part number W582446 which is the Plug-In but this is for 6mm hardware. If you have a 2020 SC, you have 6mm hardware, otherwise you have 5 and need to update your hardware in order to fit this. The slider and bolts are also needed (W582447 and 596164).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch, can you clarify this for me?

I currently have a 2018 SC with the old style mono-plug in. That frame is toast after a crash and I am currently working on getting a new 2020 speed concept through my trek dealer. Are you saying I cannot utilize my old style mono-plug in (it was not damaged in the crash) on the new 2020 frame and I will need to have my dealer order a new style mono-plug in?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
Mitch, can you clarify this for me?

I currently have a 2018 SC with the old style mono-plug in. That frame is toast after a crash and I am currently working on getting a new 2020 speed concept through my trek dealer. Are you saying I cannot utilize my old style mono-plug in (it was not damaged in the crash) on the new 2020 frame and I will need to have my dealer order a new style mono-plug in?

Thanks

That is correct. Unless your 2020 is one that happens to have 5mm hardware before we got them switched in the factory. Just measure the hardware to confirm before purchasing the new Mono Plug-In (which cost is now lower on btw).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I do not have the new bike yet. Looking at ordering it this weekend. So now I need to also buy a new mono plug in and cannot use my existing one.

So, how much more will that cost me?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I’m following Mitch correctly, if you have the old mono plugin with the smaller hardware, you can re-use that on a 2020 bike (Just ditch the newer 2020 hardware). What you can’t do, is take an older mono plugin and use the newer 2020 hardware.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
Well, I do not have the new bike yet. Looking at ordering it this weekend. So now I need to also buy a new mono plug in and cannot use my existing one.

So, how much more will that cost me?

The new Mono Plug-In would be ~$220 with the hardware ($159.99 plug-in and $60 hardware).

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
If I’m following Mitch correctly, if you have the old mono plugin with the smaller hardware, you can re-use that on a 2020 bike (Just ditch the newer 2020 hardware). What you can’t do, is take an older mono plugin and use the newer 2020 hardware.

And Steve, you are correct, you can use the old hardware and old mono on a newer model that comes with the 6mm hardware.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for chiming in with the clarification Mitch. Really appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what angle the bend is on the ergo mono extensions?

40° ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about getting a HED Jet 6+ wheelset (good deals out there) for my P1 Speed concept. I want to add an aero jacket to the rear Jet 6+..... Will this setup work in the rear with duotrap?

I currently run Flo 60/disc and that setup makes my rig too heavy 21-22lbs. Before my Flos, I had Enve 4.5 front and back and that rig was 17-18lbs. I got rid of those wheels because I am not a fan of carbon brake tracks. HEDs seem to be a lighter aero wheel with an aluminum brake track. My thoughts are the rear Jet 6+ with an disc wheel cover would be lighter than the HED disc when comparing weights. This setup will be raced at Oceanside where discs are favored but weight is a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
My thoughts are the rear Jet 6+ with a disc wheel cover would be lighter than the HED disc when comparing weights. This setup will be raced at Oceanside where discs are favored but weight is a factor.

I'd be surprised if that works out to be the case. The HED discs are essentially a spoked wheel with a carbon cover bonded on (which is why they're light). The alloy rim, spokes and hub (the structural parts) are the same across the various rim depths and only the fairing/cover changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on online specs, a wheel cover + jet is going to weigh 100-200 grams more than a HED disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assembling a new SC frame and have a question regarding the bottom bracket.

Ready to press fit the bottom bracket bearings. Local shop provided me with the crank spindle (axle) sleeve(shield). I'm using a Shimano HollowTech type crank specifically Power2Max meter. The sleeve very gently rubs on the crank spindle. It is only minor but I'd prefer not to have any interference at all. Is this typical and what is recommended. Grease the spindle and install the sleeve or leave the sleeve out?
I am using Di2 so a bit concerned with cabling in the area.
TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Does anyone know what angle the bend is on the ergo mono extensions?

40° ?

SO CLOSE!

41°

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [randyp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randyp wrote:

Ready to press fit the bottom bracket bearings. Local shop provided me with the crank spindle (axle) sleeve(shield). I'm using a Shimano HollowTech type crank specifically Power2Max meter. The sleeve very gently rubs on the crank spindle. It is only minor but I'd prefer not to have any interference at all. Is this typical and what is recommended. Grease the spindle and install the sleeve or leave the sleeve out?
TIA

With your BB, it should have came with a sleeve that would protect the crank spindle. Is this what they supplied? There would be no rub on that sleeve.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
randyp wrote:

TIA

With your BB, it should have came with a sleeve that would protect the crank spindle. Is this what they supplied? There would be no rub on that sleeve.

Yes, it is the Trek (FSA) grey sleeve. It is very minor rub on the male part. The female side seems to have enough clearance.

Edit:
I measured the diameters with calipers.
Crank spindle = 23.8mm
Inner diameter male sleeve end = 24.5mm
Inner diameter female sleeve end = 27.0mm
Last edited by: randyp: Jan 20, 20 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like adding a cover on HED Jet 6+ would still be under the Flo alum track disc weight, but it would be close. However, the HED front 60 wheel comes in about 200 grams less. I guess the best case scenario to cut significant weight and stay with aluminum tracks would be to get HED 6 front and HED disc rear. All that cash to lose a 1 lbs might not be worth it. I'm reading disc covers down work well the SC anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Hoping for quick reply

I know carbon bikes are not perfect, my 2012 SC 7.5 certainly is not and has a few bumps and ripples where the joins are, but is this normal for a 2015 SC 9.9. It is the 600 series carbon.
Do other people's frames have joins in like this or does this look like a repair. The paint is flawless, so if it is a repair it has been painted really well. It looks totally fine from the top.

I bought the bike 2nd hand yesterday and did not notice this until I started pulling it apart to clean. I have the chance to take it back, hence wanting a quick opinion.

I have taken it for a ride and put some power through it on hills pushing a big gear and everything seems fine, it rides really well.

Last edited by: si.g: Jan 23, 20 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [si.g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
si.g wrote:
Hi Hoping for quick reply

I know carbon bikes are not perfect, my 2012 SC 7.5 certainly is not and has a few bumps and ripples where the joins are, but is this normal for a 2015 SC 9.9. It is the 600 series carbon.
Do other people's frames have joins in like this or does this look like a repair. The paint is flawless, so if it is a repair it has been painted really well. It looks totally fine from the top.

I bought the bike 2nd hand yesterday and did not notice this until I started pulling it apart to clean. I have the chance to take it back, hence wanting a quick opinion.

I have taken it for a ride and put some power through it on hills pushing a big gear and everything seems fine, it rides really well.

Hard for us to determine if this is a repair without seeing the rest of the bike and a full view of the surrounding area. But the frame around the BB moving up to the headtube is wider on the non-drive side. I think the camera angle is dramatizing it, but there is a slight wobble on the frame line from that view on other frames.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is the speed concept so heavy? I have a 2018 SC and the thing weighs a ton.

I’ve owned a cervelo p2, giant trinity advanced, s works shiv tt, a bianchi and this is the heaviest bike I’ve owned.

Any tips for reducing weight? And I mean tangible changes that I’ll notice.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because "aero is everything" (mostly) and weight doesn't really matter (much) for most triathletes, on most courses, most of the time. There's very little difference between the weights of the framesets you list, certainly less than the extra pies most of us (including me) carry around the course on the inside of our trisuits.
Quote Reply

Prev Next