Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [chet03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No reason to totally give up! As you say, its a long game. Heal and recover and pick up when your better---and ajust your goal accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that attitude - in for the long game. This is the first year ever that I've felt good enough to jump into the 100/100... on Dec 30 my treadmill fried completely, ran outside on Jan 1 and 2 and caught a fantastic chest man-cold - 4 days off, back today slowly on the new TM... turns out not only the motor was friend on the old TM, but the speed wasn't accurate either. I'm not as fast as I thought, and still recovering...

But lots of time left, I'm still in the running for the 70/100 which was my goal!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
I like that attitude - in for the long game. This is the first year ever that I've felt good enough to jump into the 100/100... on Dec 30 my treadmill fried completely, ran outside on Jan 1 and 2 and caught a fantastic chest man-cold - 4 days off, back today slowly on the new TM... turns out not only the motor was friend on the old TM, but the speed wasn't accurate either. I'm not as fast as I thought, and still recovering...

But lots of time left, I'm still in the running for the 70/100 which was my goal!

Ugh! Man-colds are the WORST!!! LITERALLY. THE. WORST!!!

Yeah...TM accuracy sucks. Get a Garmin (or similar) footpod. Calibrate it outside a few times. Then run inside and slowly increase the incline until your HR matches your HR outside for the same pace...if you want equivalent HR/PACE. Usually that's somwhere between 1.5* and 2.5* depending on the TM.

Some people prefer to just jack up the pace for the same HR....the idea being to work on a faster foot-speed at the same effort level. Two sides of the same coin.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob Gray reminded me as I was pacing him on Day 3 of Ultraman (Dec 1) that I could count the pacing in this challenge. So I kind of backed into this and had a poor first week, missing 5 days in a row. But I've kept at it, slowly but surely, and added some doubles and triples as fitness improved. Now I'm up to 35 runs in 38 days, but besides having a gold medal icon next to my name, the main thing is that my speed has increased around 30 seconds per mile at the same heart rate and RPE. So that's pretty encouraging.

The other benefit is that I've been using my daily need to get in 30 minutes to explore different places on the Big Island (where I live now). One day a visiting friend and I ran down into, around and back out of the iconic Waipio Valley. That run involves a road that averages 25% grade and hits 40% at its steepest, so not only did it not help my average pace (I managed to average about 14:00 mpm vs my normal 8:00ish), it also left me with sore quads for a week. That being said, it was a great adventure run.

The long game for me on this is to reverse a recent trend of poor runs in triathlons - looking to become stronger instead of relying overly on past foot speed. So far, so good!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am not actually signed up for the Challenge but it did inspire me to since November 18th 2019 run for 30 mins each day. I have had some days off but then ran 1 hour the day after. Just curious if that would qualify - if I was signed up "officially" - in light of this "rule" posted below (so I would have ran 0 minutes on a day and 60+ minutes the following). Or if you must "out of the door" each day?

Just curious, what do you guys think?

12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).
Last edited by: henkedejk: Jan 9, 20 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

0 + 60 doesn't count as two, because you didn't run at all on the 0 day. But technically, 1 + 59 would.

That's not really the spirit of rule 12...but, it is explicitly how its written. The idea is that maybe you ran out of time on a day, and could only squeeze in 15 minutes or something. So, tomorrow you can "make up" the missed time, eg: 15+45. The point is to encourage any NON-ZERO amount of running that you can manage. As long as you can make up the time the next day---you can use rule 12 twice a week.

NOTE that rule-12 only applies in the forward direction. Its for makeup, not pre-loading. So, 45+15 does NOT = 30+30.

Last year, I had a few occasions where I was only able to run 15 minutes at lunch, and planned to get the remaining 15 minutes after dinner. Then something came up and I wasn't able to run after dinner. So, i ran longer the next day (45).

In order to get credit from the system, you have to manually edit the workouts in the ST training log. I the case above (15+45). I would edit the 15m run and change the time to 30. Likewise with the 45m run...I change that to 30. Then the "counter" will give you credit for each "30m" run. I don't both the change the miles...so, the first run will look really slow, and the second run will look really fast. But, the "average pace" across both runs will be correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 behind (i'll run tonight so basically 4 behind by the end of the day)

- the short distances have been AMAZING so far (like most people here - in the past I never typically ran short distances like 5K's)

- i've slowly built my pace back up and felt almost no fatigue or pains that I would have normally had

- not drinking during the week since New Years has also made the morning runs feel much better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, and I understand perfectly about the intent of the rule, I agree that it should be like that.

We will see, perhaps this coming Dec I will be joining the official setup :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work!

I'm +2, trying to be very careful with an upper ankle/lower calf strain from New Years run. Last couple sessions are good, so I think I'm ok now but not planning any speedwork.

My pace is steadily improving without forcing it. This is really encouraging. ~5% in a month+, even if it's the initial returns and unlikely to keep that rate, is a-ok with me.

How are my other BOP hommies doing?
-J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [henkedejk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
henkedejk wrote:
Thanks for your reply, and I understand perfectly about the intent of the rule, I agree that it should be like that.

We will see, perhaps this coming Dec I will be joining the official setup :-)

why wait?

As far as I know you can still join THIS years challenge. you can back-sync your strava (if you have one) and get retroactive credit for the running you've done since the start.

Join the party!!! you don't have to make it to 100/100, anway. Just do your best, which you get to define.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

why wait?

As far as I know you can still join THIS years challenge. you can back-sync your strava (if you have one) and get retroactive credit for the running you've done since the start.

Join the party!!! you don't have to make it to 100/100, anway. Just do your best, which you get to define.

Actually yes, why not, you have me tempted. I have all my runs in a Google sheet, but will enter them. Will have 7 ”holes” so far since the 0min/60+mins are invalid (or only counts as one run). But can aim for silver or gold. Or see if i get close and can log doubles late in the program.

I have seen significant improvements already. I always run with average hrm at 130 for the run (high end of my rest zone) and has come down from appx avg 7 min / km November to appx avg 6:13 min / km now. A few days even avg 5:58 / km (which also means that i made is just over 5k for the half hour). And no sign of former hip injury at all (feel this is due to low speed).

I almost always run just before dinner. One thing thats interesting about running this many runs on a set hrm is that you can see the small differences things make from day to day: drinks on New Years or wine at the different Christmas Events = penalty the day after, bad sleep one night = penalty the day after, tough and stressed out workday (mentally, i have an office job) = penalty. Well rested, good sleep, reasonable diet, rest day = bonus.
Highly motivating actually.
Last edited by: henkedejk: Jan 9, 20 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
one hell of a baller

Thanks Monty, that means a lot coming from you.

henkedejk wrote:
Actually yes, why not, you have me tempted. I have all my runs in a Google sheet, but will enter them. Will have 7 ”holes” so far since the 0min/60+mins are invalid (or only counts as one run). But can aim for silver or gold. Or see if i get close and can log doubles late in the program.

You got this, pal. Log them in back-dated and then take it nice and slow one day. Go again later in the day nice and slow for a double. You can catch up the seven, plenty of time I know you can.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

I'm calling that a win! Not only did I not drive anyone away today, I got someone new to sign up.

Hey, slowman! Can I have a cookie?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been an awesome challenge. I’m a shit runner and this challenge has really helped me increase my weekly miles. Last minute decided to enter my first 50km ultra this weekend (Sean O’Brien in LA). Thanks to whomever came up with this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in! And have updated the training log. 33 runs so far, 7 behind. Very committed to the setup. Shall see if I can start doing doubles at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F*&^(#g shit, went out for my very first super hilly run with dan this morning, and one minute in, did a pretty bad rollover on my ankle, haven't done that in many, many years. Hobbled over to the treadmill in his garage and did my 30 minutes going up steep uphill at 15 min pace. Sitting with ice, go aspirin on board, hope it is not going to be a long one. I have my yearly stress test this Wednesday, was hoping to break last years time for the Bruce protocol.. )-;
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting sick at a crucial time in training sucks. I’m really bummed that a viral chest infection has worsened to knock me on my ass, i’ve been on the couch for the past three days with a fever of 104+. I tried a light workout yesterday but it backfired and made me worse. My main purpose of the challenge was to have a strong build into the Vancouver First Half Marathon. My PB a few years ago was 1:22:52; my goal was to beat the time this year, and at 45, I don’t have a ton of speedy years left.

I’m thankful I was able to bank a few double days for the Challenge, but this setback will certainly bring me down the board a bunch.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time commenting... I tried the challenge last year, but just couldn't hang with plantar fasciitis. I spent most of 2019 trying to figure out what the "next step" in addressing PF was, and generally struggling with motivation while starting a new job. Shortly before the challenge I got a new pair of shoes - the wide version of my regular running shoes - and it has made a huge difference.

I'm still just barely under 50%, and my only real hope is to bring that up to 70% by March, but I think I've hit on a decent strategy. The last couple of weeks I've tried to focus more on getting in two 15 minute runs in for a day. They're easier to fit in, less draining, and just feel better. This coming week, I will focus on getting in two 20 minute runs in a day. No change in the number of runs per day that count toward the challenge, but more is still more. I hope in early-to-mid-February to have worked that up to two 30 minute runs per day, and then I might be able to catch up on the deficit.

Either way, it's amazing after struggling with foot pain for so long to run consistently and not be hobbled afterward. No matter where I land in the challenge I feel like I'm making progress from back of the back of the pack... to the back of the pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bsdcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard!
Wide shoes can be funny like that. I've had a few times where a shoe is just wrong from a cramped toe box, then they bring out the wide and it's perfect. That's good to hear you figured out your feet.

Good finding something (2x15) that works. Adding 5' per run shouldn't be too bad, but just watch it. I've been trying to add similar 3-5' per run each week (+/-), and my body keeps reminding me that if I want more, I'm going to have to pay for it with a little soreness. It'll come, and you've got the right attitude, but it can be tricky to find that balance of pushing enough/too much. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
What Counts?

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long or at least 3 miles long (see below for exceptions).
2. The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill.
3. Walking does not count, but an honest-effort walk-run does count.
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.
5. You can (and probably should) take days off.
6. You can do days with more than 1 run session; each sessions counts.
7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
9. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.

To clarify, this means that the start of of run 2 (or 3, or whatever) must be at least 1 hour away from the completion of the preceding run to count, yes?

There is definitely at least one person who has runs counted where only the start times are separated by 60+mins.

Last edited by: mistressk: Jan 13, 20 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

To clarify, this means that the start of of run 2 (or 3, or whatever) must be at least 1 hour away from the completion of the preceding run to count, yes?

There is definitely at least one person who has runs counted where only the start times are separated by 60+mins.

yes. A 60 minute rest interval.

I'm not sure the system is smart enough to filter out "non-compliant" rest intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and another person who is pretty high on the chart who is obviously not playing by the rules...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked through a bunch of profiles. More than likely, the one person simply misinterpreted the rule. Another person gives you Fs (last year as well) and just stops runs midway through, saves, and records a new run immediately. The person with many duplicate runs is probably a simple glitch that they are unaware of. The others are probably just people who are honestly sometimes running without hour breaks now and then for their own reasons and not trying to cheat the system. When synced, Strava sends the data over regardless. Even if they are manually deleted by the user, Strava will send them back over at the next sync. It is probably not really their fault to have to micromanage their runs like that. In general, I just give the benefit of the doubt. Information Technology is complicated, and intent is not always as it may seem.

This got me thinking about my runs and the amount of logistics involved to string together many 1.01-hour or 1.02-hour rests back to back to back. If those 1.01-hour breaks become 1.08-hour breaks, then over the course of the day those extra few minutes can be the difference between me having time to get in an extra run or not. I have a strict stopping time. I almost never start a run after 7:30 PM. This is a hard stop so I can help put the kids to bed and retire for the night. When I plan out the day in my head, start time of the first run is very important too. If I start at 9:12 AM, then there is time for 8 runs if the breaks are no more than 1 hour, 1 minute. If I start the first run 15 minutes later at 9:27 AM, then there is only time for 7 runs.

It is a bit of a process for me to start my runs in that one to two-minute window throughout the day. I get in the garage 3-4 minutes early and open Zwift on my laptop. It takes about 60 seconds for Zwift to open. While it is opening, I put on HRM, cuboid pad, and two knee braces followed by shoes. You would be surprised how many freaking times I put on my shoes first by accident before the knee braces. I then select the course in Zwift and click Run. It takes Zwift another 60 seconds to load into the virtual world. During this time, I fire up the treadmill so that it gets up to speed. I also handle any last-minute things that I forgot such as run to the bathroom or grab water from the kitchen. If I do need to leave the garage while loading into the Zwift world, I take off my right shoe so the foot pod doesn't start the avatar running in Zwift while I am running through the house. If Zwift picked up the pod, my official start time would potentially be only 59 minutes since the end of the last run and not the full hour. Finally, I make it back to the treadmill and check the time on my watch. I often stand around for 30 seconds waiting for the minute to roll over, then I hit the treadmill in stride at speed.

I have a pen and paper near my treadmill setup. When I remember to, I immediately look at my clock when I finish a run, and 1 hour 1 minute, and write it down on the paper so I know exactly when I can start the next run. This website also comes in handy to help me keep track of timings: https://www.calculator.net/time-calculator.html
I do this so many times a day that it has become second nature but sitting back and thinking about it, I thought it was interesting info to share with the group and add as an update.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
Yes, and another person who is pretty high on the chart who is obviously not playing by the rules...

I guess I interpreted the rule incorrectly and then wrongly assumed runs that didn't qualify would not show up on the count.

I have removed myself from the challenge so you should have moved up one place.

Happy Running!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I clicked through a bunch of profiles. More than likely, the one person simply misinterpreted the rule. Another person gives you Fs (last year as well) and just stops runs midway through, saves, and records a new run immediately. The person with many duplicate runs is probably a simple glitch that they are unaware of. The others are probably just people who are honestly sometimes running without hour breaks now and then for their own reasons and not trying to cheat the system. When synced, Strava sends the data over regardless. Even if they are manually deleted by the user, Strava will send them back over at the next sync. It is probably not really their fault to have to micromanage their runs like that. In general, I just give the benefit of the doubt. Information Technology is complicated, and intent is not always as it may seem.

This got me thinking about my runs and the amount of logistics involved to string together many 1.01-hour or 1.02-hour rests back to back to back. If those 1.01-hour breaks become 1.08-hour breaks, then over the course of the day those extra few minutes can be the difference between me having time to get in an extra run or not. I have a strict stopping time. I almost never start a run after 7:30 PM. This is a hard stop so I can help put the kids to bed and retire for the night. When I plan out the day in my head, start time of the first run is very important too. If I start at 9:12 AM, then there is time for 8 runs if the breaks are no more than 1 hour, 1 minute. If I start the first run 15 minutes later at 9:27 AM, then there is only time for 7 runs.

It is a bit of a process for me to start my runs in that one to two-minute window throughout the day. I get in the garage 3-4 minutes early and open Zwift on my laptop. It takes about 60 seconds for Zwift to open. While it is opening, I put on HRM, cuboid pad, and two knee braces followed by shoes. You would be surprised how many freaking times I put on my shoes first by accident before the knee braces. I then select the course in Zwift and click Run. It takes Zwift another 60 seconds to load into the virtual world. During this time, I fire up the treadmill so that it gets up to speed. I also handle any last-minute things that I forgot such as run to the bathroom or grab water from the kitchen. If I do need to leave the garage while loading into the Zwift world, I take off my right shoe so the foot pod doesn't start the avatar running in Zwift while I am running through the house. If Zwift picked up the pod, my official start time would potentially be only 59 minutes since the end of the last run and not the full hour. Finally, I make it back to the treadmill and check the time on my watch. I often stand around for 30 seconds waiting for the minute to roll over, then I hit the treadmill in stride at speed.

I have a pen and paper near my treadmill setup. When I remember to, I immediately look at my clock when I finish a run, and 1 hour 1 minute, and write it down on the paper so I know exactly when I can start the next run. This website also comes in handy to help me keep track of timings: https://www.calculator.net/time-calculator.html
I do this so many times a day that it has become second nature but sitting back and thinking about it, I thought it was interesting info to share with the group and add as an update.

U R NUTS!!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next