Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stationary Bike recommendations
Quote | Reply
My wife wants a Peleton, but we both don't really want to spend $2,500, so I'm looking for best value recommendations on other brands.

I suggested a smart trainer, but she really wants a dedicated stationary bike.

Looking for for best value considering ride performance, quality, features, connectivity with Zwift, Peleton service, etc., and price.

She would use it for the online spin classes and I would probably use it for some of my winter training too.

I'd appreciate any feedback on brands and models to consider.
Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the same situation a few months back. We looked at smart trainers but my wife didn't have a bike at the time, so by the time we bought the bike, smart trainer, and the additional equipment, we were getting close to the cost of the Peloton. And switching bikes out so we could both use it seemed like a hassle. We ended up getting a Peloton back in early October and we've put nearly 500 miles on it since with zero issues. I actually enjoy using it much more than I ever anticipated, especially after I found a couple of instructors I like. My wife uses it for general fitness and I use it to supplement training when I'm either time or weather restricted. It's not perfect, but for our household it's been a good investment.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the recommendation for the Peloton. I did not think I would like it that much, but I love it. My wife loves it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the Peloton is a manual resistance adjustment bike? So they tell you to change to resistance 8 and you turn the knob to 8, right?

I think that needs to be factored into your price. With the Peloton you essentially have a dumb trainer, not a smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Echelon is the lower cost option. No idea on quality.

$1,300 includes the bike (EX3), yearly class subscription, and an ipad air

https://echelonfit.com/.../choose-the-plan-ex3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://support.zwift.com/...door-bikes-rkRxp7Zgr

They very in cost, connect-ability, and quality.

If you are English, I'd pick a Wattbike. ~1000 GBP and works perfectly.
Maybe if you find a gym going out of business or turning over equipment, the Life Fitness IC8 would work, but it's $3300 new.
I think the cheapest bike on there is the Concept2 BikeErg - and it's basically their rower with pedals on it. An ugly $1000 noisy tank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gym membership at a place with bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For spin class style riding, it's tough to beat the Peloton ecosystem. It's like buying an Apple product: premium pricing, but it's elegant and just works. For training for cycling triathlon, a smart trainer is far and away better. There isn't a product that really bridges this gap.

I think we payed <$200 for a brand new spin bike (not ours, but for example: https://www.amazon.com/...77498315&sr=8-17). No frills, just set it up with a fan in front and an old laptop playing the widely available range of spin videos on youtube. (ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMfmaQAXQns ). Nowhere near as sexy as a $2500 peloton, but does the job. That leaves $$$ for a smart trainer (you can get a wheel-on Whaoo for $500).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd get a Wahoo or Tacx bike in this situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
My wife wants a Peleton, but we both don't really want to spend $2,500, so I'm looking for best value recommendations on other brands.

Looking for for best value considering ride performance, quality, features, connectivity with Zwift, Peleton service, etc., and price.

She would use it for the online spin classes and I would probably use it for some of my winter training too.

Elite trainer
Cheap second hand bike
Fan
Tablet
55" TV

And still have some change for whatever training platform you fancy.
Last edited by: Mario S: Dec 28, 19 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are budget constrained, and like the Peloton, I would search for a used Peloton. In my area, people are selling good used ones on Craigslist for 1/3 to 1/2 of new price. You just need to be sure to get one of the newer gen versions with the improved screen. My gym has Pelotons and Echelons side by side, and the Peloton is way better.
bufordt wrote:
Isn't the Peloton is a manual resistance adjustment bike? ... With the Peloton you essentially have a dumb trainer, not a smart trainer.
This is technically correct-ish, but a rudimentary understanding of the holistic solution. A dumb trainer has static resistance. The Peloton is variable, and it is an excellent UI optimized for interaction with the spin classes.
Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If you are budget constrained, and like the Peloton, I would search for a used Peloton. In my area, people are selling good used ones on Craigslist for 1/3 to 1/2 of new price. You just need to be sure to get one of the newer gen versions with the improved screen. My gym has Pelotons and Echelons side by side, and the Peloton is way better.
bufordt wrote:
Isn't the Peloton is a manual resistance adjustment bike? ... With the Peloton you essentially have a dumb trainer, not a smart trainer.
This is technically correct-ish, but a rudimentary understanding of the holistic solution. A dumb trainer has static resistance. The Peloton is variable, and it is an excellent UI optimized for interaction with the spin classes.

Unless you're riding a fixie/ss, a dumb trainer has variable resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same spot you are. Wife would like a spin bike and if we get one I’d like to use it as well. Not necessarily for training but just so it’s not only her using it. Not bike training much so specificity isn’t a must. Was looking at a cheaper spin bike then buying peloton app and using that but wasn’t sure how well that worked vs. one of the more expensive bikes.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
https://support.zwift.com/...door-bikes-rkRxp7Zgr

They very in cost, connect-ability, and quality.

If you are English, I'd pick a Wattbike. ~1000 GBP and works perfectly.
Maybe if you find a gym going out of business or turning over equipment, the Life Fitness IC8 would work, but it's $3300 new.
I think the cheapest bike on there is the Concept2 BikeErg - and it's basically their rower with pedals on it. An ugly $1000 noisy tank.

Do you have direct experience with the bike erg? I’m thinking of getting one - cause I like things built like tanks. But I have never seen one in person. I like that it’s connectable but without a ton of bells and whistles that will seem outdated in three years and start squeaking and creaking in a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:

For a SUPER low budget alternative, I have a few friends that went this route. It's not QUITE a Peloton, but they're very happy with the return on investment.

https://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/
Quote Reply
Re: Stationary Bike recommendations [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
MattRnr wrote:

For a SUPER low budget alternative, I have a few friends that went this route. It's not QUITE a Peloton, but they're very happy with the return on investment.

https://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/

Thank you! I didn’t know the app worked on fire tv which I have in the basement already!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my wife a Nordictrack S22i for Christmas, she loves it. Same size screen as Peloton and better hardware. You can tell a lot by what a company is willing to warrranty and the S22i warranty is longer for parts labor and frame, dont recall the exacts. Stuff it has Peloton doesnt: an incline up to 20% and decline 10% (peleton always flat) built in fan, electronic resistance that the instructors will adjust for you or you can change it, coached rides all over the world. You can also google map rides anywhere and it will incline , decline automatically according to terrain. You get 1 year of free Ifit where Peleton charges $40 a month off the bat.
All in all a better value, better hardware, same type of steel frame. Peloton has live spin classes and Nordictrack is pre-recorded but she cant tell the difference. I've heard Peleton instructors and music are better but Ifit just got $200 million in funding so live classes supposed to be coming soon. Bike is same price as Peleton but they usually have sales. You can also opt for the 15 inch screen and save $400. In triathlete terms with S22i you're getting a bike with Di2 shifting and Kickr Climb built in.
Last edited by: CP78: Jan 2, 20 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the AtomBike.

Smart bike with connectivity to different platforms with ergo or manual modes. It is stationary and takes up little room.

When using with Zwift, it has given a top notch training experience. Only negative thing I have noticed so far is if doing short (c.10 secs) intervals of high watts in erg mode, it takes a few seconds to sync to high watt target.
Quote Reply