Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit.
Quote | Reply
Ladies, many of you know that I'm new to this and that I live in a cold, wintery place. I also dislike the treadmill, so I'm trying to tough out running outside. It's nice in that I get out even though it's below freezing most of the time now. I'm also trying to rein in triathlon spending, so cheap gear suggestions are appreciated. I have the following issues:

1. My legs are cold in my regular full-length Nike running tights. Specifically, my upper legs (quads and side glutes) tend to feel the coldest. What are some good cold-weather running pants/tights?

2. Uhhhh, it's gross but, I'm like a prancing snot factory out there. I seriously just have a river gushing over my face. Does anyone use a winter glove that is made to absorb snot? I also think a balaclava might help? Or will it just get wet with my snot and freeze into a giant snot ice sculpture molded to my face?

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the first issue, look for tights that have wind-blocking material in the quad section. Sporthill for a loose pant-like fit is my go-to brand and Gore for the tight-fitting tight is also very good.

As to the second, I got nuthin'. Although skiing with a wet balaclava can be quite uncomfortable from personal experience, so getting moisture away from your face would seem to be prederred to me.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some Salomon pants that I bought for XC skiing that have also been good for cold weather running. Like Sally says, they have wind proofing at the front which is probably key. Before that I used UnderArmour tights for the longest time (the ones for cold weather).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once upon a time I also used to live near you in that cold, wintery place. Like, 30 minutes south of Canadia. I didn't even dream of running back then, so kudos to you for being brave and awesome.

1. https://www.rei.com/...skirts/f/f-insulated

2. Practice your snot rocketing. Or get some cheapy dollar store gloves and just use those as handkerchiefs (see what I did there)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifelong Michigander here... Layers! I ran a cold and windy 5K Tuesday and from the waist down, I wore fleece-lined run leggings (I think my mom got them at Costco) under windproof athletic pants (I call them swishy pants, the ones that were really popular 10-15 years ago), and running socks under wool hiking socks. I also have a pair of thermal Under Armour tights that I will wear over thinner tights and that works perfectly on cold but not windy days. Make sure your baselayer shirt is tucked into your tights, that will help. Also, 99% of my running wardrobe is C9 by Target, so I'm definitely not spending a lot.

Snot grosses me out so I'm going to avoid thinking about 2.... lol

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thighs/butt are ALWAYS cold after a run (at least to the touch - thanks fat layer!).

I recommend either some cross country ski tights/pants (they seem to have better wind protection layers where it matters), or a shell layer on top of some windproof material.

Snot grosses me out - but I have the same issue. I either snot rocket, wipe on my fleece mitts or ignore it. There's no "polite, lady-like" answer for that one. Luckily I mostly go out alone. If I'm in a group, I bring kleenex and try to be more aware so I don't get ostracized. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as everyone has said, windproof front ski pants are great.
Have always wondered why runners don't use what euro-trash roadies like me use: embrocation?

for the rhinitis, I find that road salt really irritates my mucus lining (esp my eyes!). and to say that you are having a vasomotor reflex and not an viral issue.

maybe try a nasal spray - just saline or a vasoconstrictor like Flonase

I like to wear a neck warmer or buff to cover the nose and mouth just to keep the nose warm and moist.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite my old handle, I'm originally from upstate New York, went to college in Michigan, and am now back in the chill. I have run on a treadmill less than 12 times in my life and will pretty much be outside unless my larynx might freeze 😬

I LOVE my UA base layer / cold gear. I have the 3.0 pants and I wear them for everything from winter hiking and to XC to slow, long runs. For cold runs when I'll get hot (intervals, speed) I really like my Hot Chili pants. If you're biking, invest in a good pair of padded winter pants and some good gloves.

For your face: get a buff or balaklava, lined ideally in fleece -- it'll be easier on the skin of your raw runny nose and will keep your fave covered. And if you're like me, you'll look crazy so no one will talk to you 😂

Happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting suggestion about insulated skirts. I hadn't thought of that, but it would keep my quads warm and my lower legs free!

Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, windblocking. THat makes sense. Both Sporthill and Gore seem like really good companies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:
Interesting suggestion about insulated skirts. I hadn't thought of that, but it would keep my quads warm and my lower legs free!

I can't quite bring myself to wear a skirt while running, but I know some people that swear by them. Warmth where you need it and less bulk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Embrocation

2. Just blow it out and wipe your nose with your glove. Everyone should learn how to do a good snot rocket, or, what we called farmer’s blow growing up in Kansas. I learned that when I was about five and out on my horse.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sally, I wound up getting Sporthill pants, so thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice-they are a favorite of mine and have super wind-stopping ability I did not expect.

In my experience, they also have a more flattering fit on me, since I am not a size 0 or 2 😉

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a snotty runner (and golfer and biker and...) too. I also have super thin skin and have rubbed myself into blisters on the schnoz. I do the snot rocket even in run skirts (to the horror of my neighbor who has never done one in her many years running lol) BUT, I also love my saucony mittens with a soft thumb to wipe when needed. I also put chapstick under my nose before heading out. It helps with the snot rocket and keeping my skin a bit less irritated until I rub it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some Go-To stuff for my winter running. Layering is important, but sometimes the base gear is key. Always dress as if the temp is 20 degrees warmer.

ON TOP - my go to is Sugoi mid-zero. These are tightly woven fabric on the outside with a brushed feel on the inside.

- For temperatures 20-30F - I will wear a short sleeve moisture wicking t-shirt underneath a Sugoi long sleeve shirt. The Sugoi mid-zero fabric is perfect. If it is 30-35F I'd wear it for SHORT runs only - it will be too warm for anything longer than a 30 min run and I'd instead go with a thinner long sleeve moisture wicking shirt. If windy - I'd pair with a wind vest.

*for above, you can skip the short sleeve under, but I like tucking one of my shirts in because it makes the tights more comfy*, but of course adjustments need to be made for sunny calm days.

- For temps, say 10F-20F - same outer shirt but I'd get an extremely thin long sleeve under there instead of the short sleeve. Same deal with wind adjustments.

ON BOTTOM - I also have Sugoi brand mid zero and sub zero tights. One of my favorite pairs of tights for super cold is Columbia brand that is woven tighter around the front of the thighs for wind-protection. Like others have posted I often come home with cold butt. If it is really cold - I sometimes throw a pair of tri shorts underneath.

Wear thin socks so your feet have room, but sometimes running shoes are meant to breathe so consider getting a waterproof pair for the winter - helps keep wind out too!

ON HANDS - I love my Brooks gloves with a flip over wind mitten.

ON HEAD - I get super hot when I run, so usually the most I wear is an ear band.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, I try not to post "What crap should I get" questions. But I'm cold durnit. [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is a lot of detailed information. Thanks! I especially like the tip on the gloves.

Quote Reply