Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I’m in a similar place. Legs tired and “not feeling it” 10-15’ into a run. All after feeling like I was making good progress. I’m chalking it up to my Christmas Diet of chocolate, wine, and cookies and poor sleep (kids’ presents don’t wrap themselves). I kinda thought this might happen so I prepared mentally.

Same plan, too. Soldier through it, ease up a tad to stave off injuries if needed, and then get back to it ASAP when feeling better.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What has generally worked for me is to just cut back to the bare minimum at an embarrassingly slow pace for a few days until things turn around. That could even mean splitting it up into a 2-4 very, short runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done a few days through the challenge that were swim heavy when I did a 15-20 min treadmill jog in the morning and then before swimming at lunch time 5-10 min warmup jogging around the parking lot and after the swim another 5-10 min jogging around the parking lot again. Some days when I felt like I would not run at all I ended up with 40 min of jogging AND my hard/long swim.

I am 27 for 27 and on track for 100 hrs swimming during this challenge too. Tomorrow I will miss running as I need all my energy for a 10,000m swim day

[/i]
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Summer here in New Zealand and the sky is blue with the sun shining so that does/should make it easier to get out and do stuff. But I haven't been doing stuff for a number of reasons. So I gave myself this challenge and sucked in some others along the way. Long story short, almost back to running without discomfort after nigh on two years of minor physiological issues that caused major psychological problems. Beginning to feel some fatigue even with the running/staggering that I've been doing, but at least it's getting more comfortable.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in nz? I traveled to nz for work from 2011-2015 about 5 times a year for 2-3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time in Blenheim, wellington, and auckland.

The nice thing about nz work hours was that it left a LOT of time for being a tourist. I can't work if the customer doesn't want to. :=)

I'm back to +2. Ran my first 50+ mile week in the last 7 days. Managed to get a quick 30 in today even though it's our anniversary. We took turns on the treadmill.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 28, 19 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

This is my first ever post (and it will be a long one) since I joined the forum... (can't really remember when).
I read it occasionally aka the highlights from Dan's newsletter.

I am a runner since 2013, with marathons, halfs, trail running and such when an injury "throw" me to the pool for rehab. While counting pool tiles, I thought it might be a good idea to bring back in shape my MTB. After doing that, I said, eh... why not sign in for the XTerra race :D And from there, things took their way (bought swim/tri suit, second road bike, etc) and trying to be a triathlete.

Lately wasn't too much into running (guess I got a little burned out?) when Dan's newsletter mentioned the 100/100 challenge. At this point I must say that usually like to "hurt" myself (who doesn't?!) and trying to stick to a plan as good as possible. Nowadays not so much, but still, I do enjoy challenges. So basically, said 100% yes and of course aiming for at leat 100 days. But, my wife and I have planned a Xmas trip to Poland so I decided to enter the zwift world and run at hotel's treadmill either before breakfast or dinner:
WOW! This damn thing is so addictive AND I can keep up with the challenge!

So far I have level up some times, completed some of the route achievements, a couple of missions and I still open zwift companion to find/attend events. And all of this without owing a treadmill, running & calibrating at local gym & hotels. Missed two days, first one when we toured on Krakow for about 15km so I called the day off and second one yesterday due to FTP test, since on Monday I will begin my first ever attempt for Ironman 70.3 Greece.

Today was a tough one due to weather conditions, not very used to cold & rain, but not wanting to miss a day, did a 30something outside run and now waiting for lunch to digest so I can hit gym's treadmill and do my first double.

So, thank you Dan and Mr_Can't_Find_Your_Name who began the challenge.
Happy miles everyone, injury free!
May 2020 bring us more inspiration for achieving what ever goals we are after for.

Cheers,
Kostas

instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [konfot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
run outside in poland! its mostly flat. a hot shower with some barszcz z uszkami waiting for you when you are done. but if you want some fun zakopane is beautiful

In another news, danstu4 takes the lead in run total & pace wise @ 4:24km average
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just taking it easy for now. I fractured my greater trochanter in October. Feels ok so running slow tell it feels better then I will start to pushing the pace. Lots of swimming and biking for now with easy runs. Next race is St. George so trying to get back in shape for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I was hoping to post a weekly update, but I am a bit behind. Below is a recap of my first three weeks.

TLDR: Eveything hurts and I might have to stop soon.

When I first read that the challenge was starting early this year on December 1st, I didn't really mind one way or the other. I had just run my marathon PR of 3:16:17 on November 10th and had plenty of time to recover. I had not given it much thought this year about entering the 100/100 but with the early start date I had to decide soon. When I lock in to something, I LOCK IN. I think it was around two weeks before it started that I finally committed mentally. I then decided if I do this, I need to go big this year and build on lessons learned from last year. I learned a lot last year about recovery and injury prevention. I also gained some fitness since last year. I decided the cheap tablet was not going to cut it. If I was going to live in my garage running on a treadmill for three months, then I needed to plan and have some luxuries.

The next few days I got busy preparing. I cleaned my garage. It was so full of clutter I could barely walk in it. I cleaned up my work bench area and organized all my tools. I installed hooks and hung the kid's bikes from the ceiling. I moved the 32-inch TV from my bedroom and mounted it on the wall in the garage smack dab in front of the treadmill at eye level. I moved the Amazon Fire TV box as well. I tested Zwift on my cheap laptop and was lucky that it was able to run on my poor hardware. I went to the track and calibrated my foot pod that I never used. I got Zwift fully up and running. I drilled a hole through the floor and ran Ethernet cable from my modem to the garage and put a hub there to split the cables. If I was going to stream video and use Zwift, then I wanted lightning fast internet and not have to worry about Wi-Fi speeds. I researched movies and TV shows. I built playlists on Netflix, Prime, and YouTube. I cleaned and lubed my treadmill. I installed a laptop arm on my workbench allowing my Zwift laptop to swing out over top of the treadmill. It centered perfectly under the TV and would not vibrate from the pounding on the treadmill.

I've been keeping an extensive spreadsheet log/journal to document every run. For each run I've been tracking things like start time, end time, hours since last run, physical pain, mental state, shoe, treatment after etc. I've also been tracking sleep.

Full disclaimer: These runs I am doing are soft (soft for me given my current ability). Almost all my runs are on a treadmill and almost always the bare minimum of either 3 miles or 30 minutes. Intensity is very, very low. I am running on Zwift under the name B. luestacks (Slowtwitch.com) If anyone wants to follow each other just add me and I will add you back.

----------------------------------------

Week 1: 43 runs, 129.9 mi, 18.2 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Cuboid syndrome (right), severe
Achilles tendinitis (left), very mild
Plantar Fasciitis (right), very mild

Day 1: 12 runs | 36.2 mi
Day 2: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 3: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 4: 6 runs | 18.0 mi
Day 5: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 6: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 7: 6 runs | 18.3 mi

Last year I completed 10 runs on day one and I wanted to best myself and go for 12 this year. I set my alarm for 5 AM. I basically woke up and ran all day with exactly one hour between each run. 12 runs took me to almost 10 PM. My very first run of the day I already had sore calves as I was not fully recovered from a turkey trot three days prior. I also ran with too much intensity on day one. It was almost like a marathon where I always go out too fast the first few miles and pay for it later.

Starting on day two I began to battle Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's knee) in my right knee. Cuboid syndrome in my right foot started on day three. I had excruciating pain on the outside of my right foot while wearing shoes. I troubleshooted for a bit and decided that the only way forward was to ditch the shoes. I began running in socks.

Achilles tendinitis (left) showed itself briefly on day four and five as well as the slightest hint of Plantar Fasciitis (right) day five. I believe they were both caused by the sudden shock to my feet by running without shoes for the first time ever. They both eventually went away as I got used to running barefoot. Treatment for the week included a lot of stretching, massage gun, compression, ice, and a foot roller.

On day seven I went to Rite Aid and purchased a knee brace. I never had one before, but it was worth a shot because my runner’s knee was getting serious.

Week 2: 33 runs, 100.4 mi, 13.9 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Cuboid syndrome (right), severe
Stomach bug, yuck

Day 8: 4 runs | 12.6 mi
Day 9: 2 runs | 6.2 mi
Day 10: 4 runs | 12.2 mi
Day 11: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 12: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 13: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 14: 7 runs | 21.1 mi

On day 9 I finally came down with the stomach bug that was jumping through my family. I was able to get two runs in before the nausea hit me. I went to bed early and slept FOURTEEN hours.

I struggled with runner's knee all week, but the knee brace seemed to help keep it from getting worse. I ran barefoot with the knee brace most of the week.

Because I ditched my shoes, I could no longer run on Zwift without the foot pod. That got me brainstorming. Finally, on day 12 I returned to Zwift, running with a foot pod taped to my slippers. Running in slippers on a treadmill is quite comfortable. The memory phone helped protect my feet from the impact even though the treadmill is pretty forgiving to begin with.

On day 13 I went to a foot doctor to have my Cuboid syndrome checked out. I wanted to make sure that the pain I still had while wearing shoes was damage from external rubbing and not from the stress of over doubling my weekly mileage. The X-rays looked okay. The doctor did want it on record that I should take two weeks off to be safe. If I did have to keep running, I needed to monitor things closely and be ready to shut it down as soon as things got worse. He also helped me adjust my mechanics to help take stress off my cuboid joint area.

Aggressive treatment continued all week (knee brace, stretching, massage gun, compression, ice, and foot roller).

Week 3: 48 runs, 144.7 mi, 19.7 hours

Cuboid syndrome (right), moderate
Metatarsalgia (left), very mild
Plantar Fasciitis (left), very mild
Capsulitis (left 2nd toe), moderate

Day 15: 9 runs | 27.2 mi
Day 16: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 17: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 18: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 19: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 20: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 21: 8 runs | 24.1 mi

My runner's knee finally went away this week. I ran all week in slippers and continued using the knee brace. I have not tried wearing shoes yet. I took a half day off at work on two of the weekdays and was able to string together massive week. I basically logged as many runs that were physically possible beyond sleep, work, and the required 1-hour rest.

My body is paying the price. Everything hurts. Both physically and mentally I have been at my worst these past few days. A new injury is showing itself. I have learned that Capsulitis is inflammation of the ligaments surrounding the joint and base of the toe. It is most coming in the second toe and that happens to be where mine is. I am starting aggressive treatment, but I fear this could be the most serious injury yet. I am not sure this is something that I can run through without getting worse. I am going to monitor it very closely and be safe by stopping if it starts to get worse. I will be hosting family next week on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We are also traveling to my in-laws Friday through Monday. It will be a small running week and I am going to take the time to continue treatment and try to heal up. My motto lately comes from my favorite movie and favorite character, Lieutenant Dan. "Protect your feet, and don't do anything stupid".

Ramping up to 144 miles based on your marathon PR of 3:16 is a recipe for disaster - and unfortunately it appears that you're nearing that point. What are you trying to accomplish? Running is about slow and steady progress...otherwise, forget about it...
Last edited by: triczyk: Dec 30, 19 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I have done a few days through the challenge that were swim heavy when I did a 15-20 min treadmill jog in the morning and then before swimming at lunch time 5-10 min warmup jogging around the parking lot and after the swim another 5-10 min jogging around the parking lot again. Some days when I felt like I would not run at all I ended up with 40 min of jogging AND my hard/long swim.

I am 27 for 27 and on track for 100 hrs swimming during this challenge too. Tomorrow I will miss running as I need all my energy for a 10,000m swim day

[/i]

Kudos to you...but I must say, reading this makes me very happy I became a single-sport focused athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Just taking it easy for now. I fractured my greater trochanter in October. Feels ok so running slow tell it feels better then I will start to pushing the pace. Lots of swimming and biking for now with easy runs. Next race is St. George so trying to get back in shape for it.

Did you crash in the Hawaii Ironman? If so I hope your recovery is going well and best of luck in Saint George!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second day in a row with no run for me today due to smoke-fire induced pollution levels here in Canberra. Fires burning all around us in New South Wales, all roads from Canberra to the South Coast are closed, some people there told to take refuge on the beaches! And it’s only the beginning of summer!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Second day in a row with no run for me today due to smoke-fire induced pollution levels here in Canberra. Fires burning all around us in New South Wales, all roads from Canberra to the South Coast are closed, some people there told to take refuge on the beaches! And it’s only the beginning of summer!!

That is horrible. We are keenly following all these events in Australia and hoping things turn for all of you.

Wishing everyone great health in 2020...and 69 more days of 100/100 success. I hope you can use the challenge to transform your life in a positive way and realize that its "always possible' to fit that run in. (well, minus raging fires)
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jan 1, 20 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed on 12/25 due to holiday travel and yesterday due to a stomach illness, but I ran today (with an empty tank). Not ideal, but I got it done without walking or passing out. I’m two runs off the pace now, but I should be able to catch back up with some doubles once I am eating and drinking again.

A happy new year to my fellow challengers, and enjoy the remaining 2/3 or so of the challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Working up mileage but right hamstring tight so running super slow. Legs not recovering like when I was 39 three years ago. However, my goal is to get to 80 MPW in 3-4 weeks then slowly build to 100 for the last week to say I ran 100 MPW on the 100th run. Not sure if my body will let me and time is a factor too. Also, I’m wondering if I can be consistent with 70 MPW+ for the rest of the challenge and do all my runs easy except some runs with MP how I would fair in a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on 100th run today do3b, and doing it all while recovering from plantar fasciitis. Glad you are getting healthy and running strong.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

I see it all over the national news. Hope you are safe and this disaster ends soon.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 behind as of today - will probably claw that back over the next few weeks
just started on a new pair of shoes yesterday (zoom fly 3, was previously in the flyknit) - they felt ok

legs still feel good, no real pains or soreness yet
trying to keep the avg pace at around 4:55 min/km or so (mixing up the speed depending on how my legs feel that day)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone from running in freezing cold and ice last week to running in heat and humidity since New years. The change has been quite a shock to the system! I managed to get in one extra run as a cushion in case the heat completely knocks me out one day. So far so good. This challenge has been great for my running.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been caught up so far until today. Only missed 2-3 days and made up with double runs on other days but yesterday I rolled and sprained my ankle in a trail race real bad....

Could just go hobble/crutch for 30 min I guess or skip a day or two and walk when I can. Really wanted to hit the 100/100 this year but I don’t want to jeopardize recovery or worse, especially this early in the year.

We’ll see what happens. If I can walk on it at all tomorrow I might just walk on the treadmill for a half hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a couple runs behind and likely will have trouble fully hitting 100. I want to start bringing back some biking and desperately feeling a need to swim for mental reasons. I hit 41 miles last week which is the most I've ever done besides for the week I ran my marathon which had me crumpled on the floor for a couple weeks. I feel great and have been running with 0 hip pain all zone 1 maffetone. My zone 1 now is basically what my zone 2 was last year. I'm seeing and feeling improvement. Going to keep it going and getting to 90 is the real goal at this point.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ugh I wimped out this morning
it was 3 degrees, dark, and pouring rain when my alarm went off
I took one look outside and said an extra hour of sleep seemed like a WAY better idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My updates for Christmas and new year weeks.

TLDR: Went to hell and back. Feels great to be back. Wearing shoes again.

Week 4: 30 runs | 90.5 mi | 12.8 hours

Capsulitis (left 1st & 2nd toe), moderate
Head cold, severe

Day 22: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 23: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 24: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 25: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 26: 8 runs | 24.1 mi
Day 27: 1 run- | 3.0 mi
Day 28: 1 run- | 3.0 mi

Beginning this week and throughout the week, my right cuboid began to become irritated during some of my runs. Even while wearing slippers. The irritation never escalated but it was a good reminder that it was not healed and that wearing shoes was still not an option. My capsulitis in my left toes never actually showed symptoms while running. It was during other day to day activities that I felt it was there. I taped four of my left toes together for almost every run this week. The thought was that if the tendons in a couple of my toes were sore, then maybe they would be stronger working together as one.

I was able to get four runs in one Christmas eve and five on Christmas day. When not running I was playing with my kids. Legos are the new go-to toy in our house and I have fun building with them.

I began to have the symptoms of a head cold on day 26. The next day was a travel day to visit in-laws for Christmas so I got one run in first thing in the morning before we hit the road. By the 28th my head cold was severe and I felt like crap. My wife let me sleep in and I was able to get one run completed outside.

Week 5: 40 runs | 120.7 mi | 16.9 hours

Capsulitis (left 1st & 2nd toe), very mild
Head cold, severe
Metatarsalgia (left), severe
Plantar Fasciitis (right), very mild
Foot Extensor Tendonitis (left 1st toe), very mild
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), very mild
Sore throat, severe

Day 29: 1 run- | 3.1 mi
Day 30: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 31: 9 runs | 27.1 mi
Day 32: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 33: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 34: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 35: 5 runs | 15.1 mi

Week three was bad, but this was the week that everything began to feel like it was falling apart. My head cold was at its most severe at the start of the week and took a few days to finally go away.

Metatarsalgia (pain in the ball of my foot) hit me like a wrecking ball at the start of the week. I immediately started to research the injury. I am textbook six of the causes. Run volume increased too quickly, transitioned too quickly to a minimalistic shoe (slippers), poorly fitting shoes (slippers), high arches, second toe longer than first toe, excessive foot pronation.

Foot extensor tendonitis began to show itself early in the week as well. As it turns out, taping my toes together for so long was putting pressure on the tendon on top of my big toe. I immediately stopped taping. It seems as though the taping did help with the Capsulitis though as the symptoms finally went away.

Runner's knee slowly showed itself for a few days in a row. As if it couldn't get any worse, a very mild touch of Plantar Fasciitis showed itself on day 31 (just enough to scare me). Things were falling apart quickly with Metatarsalgia being the most serious.

Not only did Metatarsalgia make it hurt to run in slippers but it also hurt to walk. I made the decision that I either had to stop or try switching back to shoes. The problem was that shoes aggravated my cuboid bone. After some research, I made my own orthopedic cuboid donut insert. This little guy pretty much saved my challenge for me. It is twice the size of a quarter and is made from egg carton foam and tape. There is a hole in the middle. I place it in my sock and the natural pointy part of my cuboid sits in the hole. The foam padding pushes on my shoe and takes all the pressure off the bone. The doctor I saw in week two gave me the idea of using little C-shaped pads, so I made my own design.

By day 33 I was back running in shoes again. The ball of my foot felt so good running in shoes. By the end of the week, my runners knee went away, and my head cold was finally over. With the stability given from my shoes, my injury began to improve while maintaining volume.

I began to get a sore throat on day 34 and by day 35 it was terrible. This must have been a different virus than the head cold. It mostly hurt while sleeping and running actually was not that bad. I really didn't care because my feet were starting to feel good so I was just happy with that. My amazing wife let me sleep in again to give me 12 hours of sleep. That was huge for me.

Treatment for the week was mostly ice on the ball of my foot and tendons on my toes. I iced after almost every run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blustack, you are one hell of a baller.. My wife got sick, and I just felt my body beginning to fight her cold, and I took off 3 days!! But I do recall in the old days being able to train through common colds, not the flu of course, and some injuries. But you are definitely pushing the limits, you deserve the huge cash prize for this challenge...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today is the day I have to abandon unfortunately. Got tripped by the dog last week and pulled my side which I can manage but knee pain has been increasing about 10% every run to the point that I can’t walk properly so it needs a few days off. Got to +2 = 38 runs in 36 days but I don’t want to start the year injured so need to play the long game. Maybe will pick it up in a couple weeks when things have healed. Would definitely be in for a similar cycling challenge - minimum 60 mins riding per day for 100 days would definitely do some good.

Good luck to all.

Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next