Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything

Tim, aka Captain America, arguably the most consistent high placing American at the Hawaiian Ironman over the last decade or so, is going to answer our questions here, beginning sometime today or tomorrow, or our today and his tomorrow (I believe he's in another hemisphere at this moment). So, let fly.

Can I raise my hand with a question? We just published an article on what you all (top 15 pro male finishers in Kona) were using during the bike, as in, your equipment choices. This is always a popular feature. You told us you were riding Vittoria Corsa Speed in the 25mm width. there are various iterations of the Corsa Speed, but the most popular these days (I think) in the triathlon race community is tubeless. Did you race in Kona on tubeless tires? We just published on the trend toward tubeless among pro Ironman athletes. (7 of the top 10 men in Kona, if you were on tubeless, as well as Brownlee, and Boris Stein, who had the fastest split, and I just found out this morning that Lucy was on the new Specialized tubeless Turbo in Kona. So, tubeless for you, or tubed, or a tubeless tire with a tube in it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
Tim, aka Captain America, arguably the most consistent high placing American at the Hawaiian Ironman over the last decade or so, is going to answer our questions here, beginning sometime today or tomorrow, or our today and his tomorrow (I believe he's in another hemisphere at this moment). So, let fly.

Can I raise my hand with a question? We just published an article on what you all (top 15 pro male finishers in Kona) were using during the bike, as in, your equipment choices. This is always a popular feature. You told us you were riding Vittoria Corsa Speed in the 25mm width. there are various iterations of the Corsa Speed, but the most popular these days (I think) in the triathlon race community is tubeless. Did you race in Kona on tubeless tires? We just published on the trend toward tubeless among pro Ironman athletes. (7 of the top 10 men in Kona, if you were on tubeless, as well as Brownlee, and Boris Stein, who had the fastest split, and I just found out this morning that Lucy was on the new Specialized tubeless Turbo in Kona. So, tubeless for you, or tubed, or a tubeless tire with a tube in it?

Another question for Tim... How was the Giro Aerohead at Kona. I see that most opted NOT to wear it. Was it hot? How was visibility with the face shield and all the salty sweat that happens out on the queen-k? Can you talk a little about your strength/pt work that you do? How many hours a week have you been dedicating to that?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

I wouldn’t be surprised if the corsa speed tires were tubulars. In the past he has ridden tubulars.

I want to know about the bottle setup he had in kona as well as the nutrition strategy. Looks like he ran 4 bottles (BTA, top tube (cervelo p5 disc bottle), down tube, and BTS. What nutrition/fuel is in each bottle? Did you replace the bottles at special needs?

blog

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [stevej] [ In reply to ]

Hey Tim, what is your average race day weight?

correct about the Corsa Speeds in tubular..the Gum sidewalls are only available in Tubular for the Speeds

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [mike s] [ In reply to ]

mike s wrote:
correct about the Corsa Speeds in tubular..the Gum sidewalls are only available in Tubular for the Speeds

Just mentioned the same under Dan's article. Scratch that, looks like my comment was deleted......

So my question for TO, is why still using tubulars?
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 21, 19 12:13

Tim I think this was your fastest run in Kona, probably with the least run specific training. Did the additonal swim-bike training allow you to access a sub 2:50 run, or do you think it was water running and the anti gravity treadmill. Final question, how are the Hoka carbon plated shoes vs other Hoka models like the Clifton?

i have a SECOND question, to which i refer in our article announcing this Ask Me Anything thread. you are blessed with a cornucopia of stationary implement providers. it is my guess that you were a GARMIN athlete, and a technogym athlete, before GARMIN purchase TACX, presumably relieving of any obligation to use TACX for stationary cycling.

but i don't know. there is no doubt technogym makes treadmills that anyone would be over-the-moon to have, and i'd like to know if you're using one, and which (because i'm taking a little informal poll on whether curved or planar mill contours are preferred and technogym makes both).

but as to stationary cycling, it is hard to argue against the first-tier category position of at least the NEO, and probably the NEO bike. but technogym makes a smart direct drive trainer (i don't know who they sell it to, but they have one) and it also makes a whole suite of stationary bikes. smart bikes.

what's in the pain cave?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]

SBRcanuck wrote:
mike s wrote:

Just mentioned the same under Dan's article. Scratch that, looks like my comment was deleted......

i didn't delete any comments. but i do have this same question. almost nobody rides tubies in tri. the only defensible reason they don't ride them on the road is that you can more easily ride a flatted tubie than a flatted clincher.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

SBRcanuck wrote:
mike s wrote:

I'm very curious on this one too as my first set of tubeless tyres rocked up yesterday and have been using tubs up until now. Note Rohan Dennis rode the same tubs to the World TT title this year and was under no sponsorship obligations so they obviously aren't slow.

X2 for nutrition and logistics of bottles and food!

Tim, did you guys do any testing in the tunnel with your Crono water bottle moved closer to the bottom bracket?. And who made the plate that allowed you to move the water bottle further down the frame.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Dec 21, 19 12:58

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Hi Tim,

What is your race schedule for 2020?

Do you plan to still race as an AG athlete with Rinny when pro days are over?

Favorite 70.3?

What was your rate in the USN? and thanks for your service!

SK3 (SS) Veteran

Slowman wrote:

Hi Tim!

As a Garmin sponsored rider we saw your bike at a photo shoot with Garmin Vector 3 pedals that were missing the doors and had chewed up threads. Do you mind elaborating on this and is the Garmin V3 the power meter you use or did you move to something else?

I thought it was interesting that your crank length was listed as 167.5, and we're the same height 6'. I have always ridden 172.5 not really by choice, but just because it's always been recommended to me by the manufacturer's guidelines for frame size. I do have pretty long legs for my height though.

Do you feel that using the shorter cranks take away power on the bike?

Do you feel that the shorter cranks leaves you fresher for the run?

What cadence do you typically race at?

Thanks!

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906

What was your total volume for each sport?

Did you prefer to record data with the Quarq over the Garmin Pedals that can be seen on your tri and road bike?

A few years ago I believe you were fit by Matt Steinmetz, then Jim Manton, and recently Julie Dibens/Matt Bottrill. What drove your to have your fit changed so often? Which fit philosophy has worked best and what are the significant changes from each fit?

Hi Tim,
Since you’re in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment (unlike our PM you’re taking your holidays to be with all the fire victims 😂), my question is: are the in-laws nice to you?

hey Tim,

thanks for joining us during the holidays.

curious your thoughts on Lawrence, Kansas as a pre-Kona training grounds?

is Boulder that overrun in the summer/fall now that Coach Dibs needs to get you guys away from the crowds or does Lawrence do a better job of mimicking Kona-like conditions?

Thx,
LF

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun

That's *Lieutenant America (Fixed to denote USN rank)

What is your suite of Hoka One One shoes and what do you use all of them for?

Have you kept doing pullups since Dive School?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 21, 19 14:50

TIM .

where did you get your your 10 tooth cassette cog. DID you use it in HAWAII?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter

Re: Tim O'Donnell Ask Me Anything [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]

Triathletetoth wrote:
TIM .

where did you get your your 10 tooth cassette cog. DID you use it in HAWAII?

i'm not tim, but he's riding SRAM Red AXS, which we wrote about here. this is a 12sp cogset, it begins with a 10t cog, i believe he's riding a 10-26 in the back, he's riding 2x, and he said he's riding the biggest ring options the groupset has, which i believe is 50x37. 50 may seem small, but if you run the numbers on the 10t cog it's not a small gear.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Hey Tim
Are you are Shellback or a Bluenose?
Last edited by: Constantine: Dec 21, 19 15:33

TO,

It seemed like you went balls-out in Kona this year—deliberating saying “I’m competing for the win.” Will you talk about the pro mindset of really going for it vs just managing for the podium, top 10, etc. Is that something you focused on doing this year, more so than in others?

Awesome performance!!! Also, love that you rep the USA as a Navy man.

Thanks for the intro Dan! I'll be popping in all day (here in Australia!) to answer questions. I'll do my best to answer everyone! I know everyone on here is into their numbers, I hope I don't disappoint with to little data in my answers...the engineer inside me check out a long time ago :)

Why did I know my tires were going to come into question in this forum? :)

Everyone told me I should ride clinchers years ago so I did Timberman 70.3 in 2016 with them and flatted! After that I went straight back to tubulars. I've always found tubulars reliable and one less thing to worry about so I decided to stick with them. With that said, I can't ignore the savings you get from a great tire and this year I switched from the corsa to the corsa speed.

Prev Next