Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
If you're going 40kph and the wind is 12 kph straight from the side (90°), then the apparent wind angle is around 17°.
Since most wheels look about the same at low yaw, then it is exactly those outlying apparent wind angles that will make the difference in your overall time.

Funny thing, in the very conditions where a deeper wheel like the Jet 9+ really shines, folks complain about handling and switch to shallower wheels. SMH
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
andy tetmeyer wrote:
If you're going 40kph and the wind is 12 kph straight from the side (90°), then the apparent wind angle is around 17°.
Since most wheels look about the same at low yaw, then it is exactly those outlying apparent wind angles that will make the difference in your overall time.

Funny thing, in the very conditions where a deeper wheel like the Jet 9+ really shines, folks complain about handling and switch to shallower wheels. SMH

That should probably be called the "deep wheel conundrum". I do think you still save a watt or two in calm conditions because the shorter spokes create less rotational drag.
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
HED's shape has shown to be least effected by tire choice (Cannondale is not the only company licensing that shape) so they're a safe bet if you can't test on your specific bike.

Who else licenses their shape?

Somewhat ironic considering their history with small industry businesses, but Specialized is another company licensing HED’s aero shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Thanks Thomas. I'm decently big/heavy (6'0", 155-160 lbs) .

Hahahaha "Big/heavy".....6' 155#.... You're waif-ish!!

I like my Flo disc/90 for half the price. As someone said, the diff in aero is nominal.
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [Hornbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hornbill wrote:
Why do you say Zipp has better resale value than Enve? I only ask because I have a brand new set of Enve's that no one seems to want.

Zipp is a more known brand and you see them everywhere. Enve is ridiculously overpriced.
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [BJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJones wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
el gato wrote:
Thanks Thomas. I'm decently big/heavy (6'0", 155-160 lbs) so riding a 808 on the front in cross winds hasn't been a huge concern, but I hear you. I was previously riding a pre-Firecrest 808 and Zipp disc on my P4, and never had an issue in cross winds (but never raced in any really bad conditions).

Well crap, is 155-160lb considered decently big/heavy nowadays?

If so, at 6' 185lbs, I must be morbidly obese. Who knew?

Perhaps it’s regional. Living in northern Michigan, I weigh in at 165 -168 lbs, 5’ 10”, and people think I’m skinny. I suppose I’ll just keep living up north.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
Hornbill wrote:
Why do you say Zipp has better resale value than Enve? I only ask because I have a brand new set of Enve's that no one seems to want.

Zipp is a more known brand and you see them everywhere. Enve is ridiculously overpriced.

Not my idea, someone mentioned discounts as a big factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fastest are a pair of carbon 29ers, with 2.35 racing Ralph’s :)

Surprisingly they are faster than the narrow ones I used to swear by
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
808 FC seem to be slightly more than 7.8, at least for disc. NSW’s go up in price from there. Are you saying Enve is overpriced due to poor quality, or in comparison to Zipp, because it seems the opposite to me?
Quote Reply
Re: Any consensus on which wheels are fastest? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does the newer CLX 64 tubeless (not the newest tube only model) license off on of the Hed rim designs? If so, which one? None are 64mm deep, are they?

--Brian

SummitAK wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

HED's shape has shown to be least effected by tire choice (Cannondale is not the only company licensing that shape) so they're a safe bet if you can't test on your specific bike.

Who else licenses their shape?

Somewhat ironic considering their history with small industry businesses, but Specialized is another company licensing HED’s aero shape.

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply

Prev Next