Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, running several short runs in a day is possible *if* you have easy treadmill access, you don't mind sitting around in running shorts, you have the mental fortitude to run slow enough that the 30 minutes doesn't take much out of you other than calories, etc.

I've had my third bout of plantar fasciitis the last year (started Nov/Dec 2018). Nothings worked to resolve it yet - do absolutely nothing for five months, wear a boot for a month, physical therapy for a month, etc. I've found that I *can* jog on the woodway curve treadmill without issue and the last thing the therapist told me was to try to 'slightly' stress my foot in order that the tissue was better able to remodel. I started this past fall with 2min jog followed by 1min walk, repeat 10 times for 30min total and do that a couple times a week. Now I can do 30min straight without issue multiple times a day. I've tried a couple outside runs and a couple normal treadmill runs as well but they cause more grief for my foot so I'm limiting those types of runs.

This challenge has aspired me towards achieving regular 100+mi/weeks with actual workouts sprinkled in throughout the week and to fully resolve my foot issue. Not there yet but hopeful.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And congrats to bluestacks to be the first to 100. You're absolutely insane. I'm at 25 and feel like all I do is work and run the last couple weeks! Hope you're healthy!
Last edited by: ADabs: Dec 18, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job, bluestacks! 100 runs in 18 days. Not too shabby!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next few days (the whole summer should be hot really) will be challenging. Today 40 degrees C, tomorrow 41C and Saturday 43C. Plus still have a bit of fire haze/smoke in the sky every now and then. All this making the challenge a bit harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are in NSW, Australia? The BBC says a state of emergency has been declared for the 2nd time this month for heat & fires. Take care of yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canberra, so yes, almost NSW.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
And congrats to bluestacks to be the first to 100. You're absolutely insane. I'm at 25 and feel like all I do is work and run the last couple weeks! Hope you're healthy!

Physically yes he is.
Mentally.......meh
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [do3b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do3b wrote:
Yes, running several short runs in a day is possible *if* you have easy treadmill access, you don't mind sitting around in running shorts, you have the mental fortitude to run slow enough that the 30 minutes doesn't take much out of you other than calories, etc.

I've had my third bout of plantar fasciitis the last year (started Nov/Dec 2018). Nothings worked to resolve it yet - do absolutely nothing for five months, wear a boot for a month, physical therapy for a month, etc. I've found that I *can* jog on the woodway curve treadmill without issue and the last thing the therapist told me was to try to 'slightly' stress my foot in order that the tissue was better able to remodel. I started this past fall with 2min jog followed by 1min walk, repeat 10 times for 30min total and do that a couple times a week. Now I can do 30min straight without issue multiple times a day. I've tried a couple outside runs and a couple normal treadmill runs as well but they cause more grief for my foot so I'm limiting those types of runs.

This challenge has aspired me towards achieving regular 100+mi/weeks with actual workouts sprinkled in throughout the week and to fully resolve my foot issue. Not there yet but hopeful.

Way to find a path forward and stay at it. I hope your progress continues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have been dealing with Plantar. I hesitated even joining the Challenge but have done it 3 years & love it. I had my foot taped & it was a game changer for the pain. If you haven't tried it yet I would say it is worth a try. The short runs, even twice a day now have been a gradual introduction to the stress again & it seems to be working.
Good luck & I hope you are running pain free soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new pair of shoes - I'm a little worried of just throwing them into the sequence of running every day.
My old ones still have like 20% of their life left I think? Wonder if I should wait a bit longer to switch or just get it over with....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I just bought a new pair of shoes - I'm a little worried of just throwing them into the sequence of running every day.
My old ones still have like 20% of their life left I think? Wonder if I should wait a bit longer to switch or just get it over with....

Another option is to rotate them until you feel like the old ones are really really done. You'll be able to compare feel quite directly and frequently too to better gauge when that is!

Did an Ironman once. Only runs now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I battled plantar and related issues for 20 years. I've had every problem under the sun, and seen every possible type of doctor for them (from psychic to podiatrist to orthopedic, to endocrinologist, and neurologists... Okay, no psychics), and had every treatment imaginable, short of surgery. I even spent a decade on the couch because I could barely walk...training (even easy biking) was impossible.

I agree with Q as a general approach to managing shoes. Have a rotation of old and new shoes. When you come home from a run and your feet feel like shit, removes those shoes from the rotation, and add another new pair.

That said, if your feet already feel like crap, it's probably past time to replace the shoes. Shoes don't have a "fixed" life. It's all about what your body can handle. If they don't feel good, it's time to switch.

I used to only get 300-350(max) miles out of a pair before I'd start having issues somewhere (Achilles or other ankle tendons, or plantar, or neuroma, etc). I'm up to 500+ per pair now... Which I attribute to stronger stabilizers (core, hip, leg, and ankle). But, I don't toss them on a fixed schedule... I do like I said above, whenever I start to feel it in my joints post run, I drop that pair. If I'm doing a lot of hard running, maybe it's 430mi.... If I'm just running easy... Maybe 550mi.

Try the new shoes for a run, if you feel better after switching don't go back.

Eta: it also helps to have an inventory of shoes. I have two pairs in rotation, right now... And three pairs in the closet. That's probably enough for all of 2020. I tend to buy them online (closeouts and such) the last two pair I got for 1/3rd the online price of the "current model". Having that inventory makes it simple to switch immediately. Buying last year's model at a low cost makes me not even think about trying to stretch it out a outtle more.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 19, 19 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds good - thanks for the advice
I guess the short duration's in the 100/100 will probably help too - it would probably be stupid to do a long run on a brand new pair of shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still on the program from my physio therapist, which recommends not running too much. I'm doing just-over 30' runs most days. To keep the run streak I do 15-20' runs the other day. Doesn't count to 100/100, but I still exercise and build up my running at the moment. Apart from that a lot of exercising aimed at strength and mobility, mostly for the lower abdomen and glutes.
Started ramping up the running only 10 days ago, and I'm now 12/20 in the 100/100, more than I anticipated at the start. The goal is 70/100 at the end.
Last edited by: TriStart: Dec 20, 19 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20% of the challenge is complete today.

Top gun for pace Sbernadi @ 4:17 average. Kudos plant based for 4:38 and being 3rd overall in total runs

I am still on track with sub 5:00 after a terrible week of bronchitis. And not looking forward to next week with predicted cold intense rain (i run outside, then i work outside all day)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
20% of the challenge is complete today.

Top gun for pace Sbernadi @ 4:17 average. Kudos plant based for 4:38 and being 3rd overall in total runs

I am still on track with sub 5:00 after a terrible week of bronchitis. And not looking forward to next week with predicted cold intense rain (i run outside, then i work outside all day)

Thanks! This first part of the challenge has been fun for me. I have already become a stronger runner and have refined my biomechanics even more and my paces seem to have been increasing since the beginning with similar levels of exertion for me. I was able to take the lead in the local running charts that first week, which was cool.

I'm gearing up to burn a ton of calories next week cycling. I'm hoping for 8 hard days of cycling and then will probably take a day off or two and then back to running in January. The temperatures where I live have been really nice.

I still want to work hard to improve my running even more if possible through the challenge. I've never really focused on running training this much and have much room for improvement! :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Dec 20, 19 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

Thanks! This first part of the challenge has been fun for me. I have already become a stronger runner and have refined my biomechanics even more and my paces seem to have been increasing since the beginning with similar levels of exertion for me. I was able to take the lead in the local running charts that first week, which was cool.

I'm gearing up to burn a ton of calories next week cycling. I'm hoping for 8 hard days of cycling and then will probably take a day off or two and then back to running in January. The temperatures where I live have been really nice.

I still want to work hard to improve my running even more if possible through the challenge. I've never really focused on running training this much and have much room for improvement! :)

wow I just saw your strava and you are putting all quality runs. I remember I was doing sub 20 min 5k for 30 days straight, but you are doing them nearly multiple times a day! Hope you have a race lined up soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks really cool like it is at home here in Canada.

21 days into the challenge I can't believe I am 21/21! Last year this time, I had basically given up on the concept of running for life, but used slowman's encouragement to just use the 100/100 for rehab, with the goal of seeing if I could get to a single continuous 30 min run by the end of the challenge.

My last 10 days were were pretty crazy bouncing between doing runs at Home in Ottawa, then London Heathrow airport, then Mumbai, then Kolkata, then Dubai, then another airport run in Toronto airport and then back home! Between the challenge and registering for the Dubai 70.3 race, all of this kept me motivated to keep the running going and at the same time, I got a lot of of solid swimming done. I ended up with 36 km of swimming and just under 90km of running...I needed to log a few double days to get on 100/100 pace because I could not get both a run and swim in on my work+flight schedule, so when I had access to a pool and could only do one workout, I chose the swim because I would not have access to swim all the time. Then when I had no pool, I doubled up on runs.

After 3 weeks, I am averaging a touch over 50km per week. Its a bit more than I want to do, but now that I am back home and can get on the trainer, go XC skiing and have daily pool access, runs will likely be a bit less, but I am going to try to hit 100/100 if I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
21 days into the challenge I can't believe I am 21/21! Last year this time, I had basically given up on the concept of running for life, but used slowman's encouragement to just use the 100/100 for rehab, with the goal of seeing if I could get to a single continuous 30 min run by the end of the challenge.

good going! i had a sore throat overnight and all day, 3 days ago, so took my first day off. but was good the next day, so, 2 days of running and then shot a birdie today to get back on par. hope i didn't injure myself. we'll see.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

wow I just saw your strava and you are putting all quality runs. I remember I was doing sub 20 min 5k for 30 days straight, but you are doing them nearly multiple times a day! Hope you have a race lined up soon...

Yeah I actually just registered this morning for my first 26.2 in March (15th - Tobacco Road NC). https://tobaccoroadmarathon.com/...2018/02/trm-full.pdf

My friend messaged me yesterday and said he was going to try to BQ in this race and was looking for someone to run with and so I thought about it for a night and then really liked this course so I signed up for it. I'm really trying to strengthen my run portion of my 70.3 over the next year and haven't trained a lot in focused run training. I just show up to the races.

I was excited this morning and hit the track for 3.17mi at 6:18/mi which is really good for me. I just basically did my errands for the day and hit it up again for session 2 for 3.25mi at 6:03/mi. I had 1/2 sugar free red bull and a 5hr energy before that one. My HR was only 150s avg. Pretty good for me. Then I left and bought 15 12 packs of La Croix and a bunch of other food and stuff to prep for this week (for Rapha 500) and wondered what kind of pace I'd be at so hit up session 3 on the track for 3.2mi at 6:17, which was nice for me again.

After some heavy cycling next week, I'll probably go heavy miles again in running Jan / Feb in these convenient 3mi increments (I'm starting to really like them). I've never trained like this before and it is giving me greater opportunities for volume and recovery.

My last 70.3 13.1 run was 7:42 pace for a 4:48 total. I'm trying to bring my run down to 7:00 pace in Augusta Sept 2020 70.3. The pace for the 26.2 is probably going to be 6:45-6:50. That'd be a good first 26.2 for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think open marathon average mile pace and half IM average run pace is around the same if both are executed well. But I think Kipchoge would be slower than 59.50 in a half IM run leg, but for most of us our marathon run average pace is going to be slower than our half IM run average pace. I would guess that Frodo would out run Kipchoge if they both race 1.9 km swimming and 90 km of biking first (I don't even know if Kiphchoge can swim....)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think open marathon average mile pace and half IM average run pace is around the same if both are executed well. But I think Kipchoge would be slower than 59.50 in a half IM run leg, but for most of us our marathon run average pace is going to be slower than our half IM run average pace.

Interesting

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theres a ~5% drop in pace between hm and marry. I don't know if 5% is with your tolerance of "around the same"?

Even at WR paces that's 12+s per mile. More for us mortals. I'd have killed for 12s per mile this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good going! i had a sore throat overnight and all day, 3 days ago, so took my first day off. but was good the next day, so, 2 days of running and then shot a birdie today to get back on par. hope i didn't injure myself. we'll see.

I didnt have the sore throat, but you knew I had to spend all night in the emergency room a few nights ago, but had to go back again yesterday too!! If I don't get ebola, it will be a miracle, but little guy seems to be pulling out of his nose dive. His greatest fear is to be sick at Xmas, the biggest play day of the year.

So I took yesterday completely off of any training, 1st day in over 5 1/2 weeks. Got down to sea level today and felt great on the treadmill, so did some weights, a little swimming, and then hit that shit hard again for my birdie!!! Saw you pulling up on me in the standings, so decided to try and put some distance, but you are drafting my ass like a Mofo..

5 days in the mountains for Xmas now, supposed to snow like a SOB tomorrow, so could be some room for you to catch up. I just hope I can make it to the cabin, once there its all good..

Merry Xmas to all the runners out there, you can take it easy and bag a day here and there, you have my permission... (-;

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pace for the 26.2 is probably going to be 6:45-6:50. That'd be a good first 26.2 for me. //

I think you are selling your pace for the marathon a bit short. I think you could hit 6;30 pace looking at your run training. Pop in a couple 15 to 18 milers at near that pace and I bet you could do it. If you are a bit too worried, then go out in 6;35 to 6;40 pace for about 12 miles, evaluate how you feel, and then negative split the 1/2's to bring the average pace down. Probably the best way to run it, but sometimes just going out and racing from the gun is also a way to surprise yourself...
Quote Reply

Prev Next