Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [gbtrinride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was also 2 runs behind at the start of the day. 1 due to a cold last week, the other due to contractors forcing me to move my schedules around and not being willing to run in the dark out here (it is REALLY dark where we live, but also cold). Managed a double today (6+4) now that I'm feeling almost entirely recovered, and plan another on Friday to put myself back on the same page as my wife ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this isnt the thread for complaining (or is it?) - but all the december "liquid lunch" work events are really putting a dent in my running this week.
I keep having to go out with Subtrades and Developers in the lead up to christmas and usually end up having like 3 drinks at lunch.

Still 1 run in the positive I think? - but I was hoping to be a few more up in the lead up to the weekend (where i'm likely going to be to busy to run both days)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm behind, but have no good excuse other than being unfit and overweight.

How many runs do you need to get a medal? 70 gets you a bronze medal? I really want one now - that's my new carrot. (This is ironic because I think finisher medals are kind of dumb but I'm willing to work for a few pixels on the screen)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like being "unfit" is the reason >90% of us take up this challenge.

Aside from reaching 70, 80, or 100, why not work up to doing an easy double? Good mini goal, and lets you boost your total. Start with usual 30' and later do 10-15'? Maybe just for weekends or a light work day.

Virtual slowtwitch medals are different than usual finisher medals. Lighter weight and folks give it a second look. They're like the carbon fiber of finisher medals.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe - but I need rest days right now, trying to do a double seems a bit foolish at this point. Maybe later (a lot later) in the challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Virtual slowtwitch medals are different than usual finisher medals. Lighter weight and folks give it a second look. They're like the carbon fiber of finisher medals.

This was my first one*

* Need to remember to keep this updated, as well as the bibs

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
karlaj wrote:
This was my first one*

* Need to remember to keep this updated, as well as the bibs

Strong work. Designs needed for the silver and bronze now, though.
The trucker hat is a must. But can you lose it and have to send it back if you don't complete the challenge the next year? /p

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can one actually purchase a slowtwitch trucker hat.......????
I didn’t know that was an option in life
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, my cursory look around this site says “no” or at least not any more. Slowman had apparel at one point.
But custom hats and T-shirt’s are just a few clicks away!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This challenge has 100% been the motivation I needed to focus on running. Running has always been my weak link. I'm tentatively hopeful this will set the stage for a more successful run at my goal race next summer.

I'm not exactly putting in massive miles but last night it was late, I was tired, my child wouldn't sleep and...I dragged myself out into the cold to a quick 4 miles with the full moon reflecting off the snow.

I initially planned to do a few doubles in order to build a "cushion" for some traveling I need to do in January. Instead, I think I'm going to evolve my personal challenger here into running each day for 100 days - figuring out a way to run 30 minutes once per day, even if it needs to be laps around an airport terminal or doing a 3:00 AM run prior to catching a morning flight.

As a data nerd it's also nice to have a consistent dataset for my [ Pace = F{heart rate, miles, elevation, shoes}] regression :)

Anyway, happy running everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh. I hate business travel. I get sick...every. single. time. I know its the stress, poor sleep, unusual eating habits, and exposure to novel pathogens. But, its hard to control much of that. I never sleep well in hotel rooms...this trip was exceptionally poor. less than 3 hrs a night.

Now I seem to have come down with a head cold. running with a cold sucks.

I doubled on sunday. Missed monday (used the double as an excuse). Ran at 5am Tuesday. Missed Wednesday. Ran yesterday, after returning home...which is when it became clear that something was "off". Today I know why.

Big race is 8 days out. Come on.....white blood cells. Kill those germies!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best part of this challenge for me is that it encourages me to run those shorter treadmill runs at a slower pace. I know the risks for injury from pushing the pace on too many runs. Looking back in my past training I can see the havoc it’s created. I’m closing in on 100miles so far, and I’ve never recovered better than I am now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can already feel the benefit of this challenge. My usual pace for easy runs was 9:15/mile. 16 runs in and I’m at 8:36/mile for the same HR. A few days ago I had a pain down my left leg and thought I might be in trouble but turns out my glutes were real tight from the daily runs. Once I stretched them out I was good to go.
I have been doing some really easy treadmill runs mixed with steady road runs and it seems to be really working.
In the summer I made a few changes to my running form, and I think that has also helped.
To all of you fitting in your runs around business travel I take my hat off to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, I have hit the reset button a number of times and am still having trouble. It says I am not connected. I even removed it from the Strava side and re-connected. I have just been using the other button to grab the last 14 days and deleting the swim and bike workouts.
I can keep doing this but thought I would let you know. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies if it's been discussed before, but some guy has more than 80 runs in 16 days of the challenge so far. Is that even possible? Another one (in second) with more than 50?? Who does at least 7 or even 4 runs per day (of at least 30 minutes each)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can pretty much rest assured that the most honest runners in this challenge, are the two you just mentioned. You are just now looking at the average, should have seen the first two day totals for Bluestack!!!!

I think the math works out to being able to do about 17 or 18 runs in a day, if you do it RAAM style...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its impressive to see those monstrous numbers atop the board. So consistent, so much volume, all at a good pace.

It had me wondering how that sort of training could be beneficial? I cannot imagine it’s the most efficient for time management, but would it train your body to recover quicker? Help you achieve higher volume than straight runs? Just curious.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been keeping an extensive spreadsheet log/journal to document every run. For each run I've been tracking things like start time, end time, hours since last run, physical pain, mental state, shoe, treatment after, food after etc. I've also been tracking sleep. I'll try to release the data here in a readable format. The first run of the day is always the hardest for me. Work has been really busy lately, but I hope to write down a weekly recap in a more readable form.

The cliff notes so far: Day 1 I was not fully recovered from a mountain repeats 10-mile turkey trot. I woke up at 5:15 AM and ran all day with exactly 1 hour between each run. I finished my last run around 9:45 PM and really dug myself a hole physically. Running so long on hurting calves I believe affected other parts of my body. I've been doing treatment non-stop and even went to a foot doctor on Friday to get checked out. He took X rays of the area and helped me adjust my running form. Since adjusting, these past three days have been the strongest I have felt.

Almost all of my runs are on Zwift under the name
First name: B
Last name: luestacks (Slowtwitch.com)

If anyone wants to follow each other just add me and I will add you back.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sir, are a rockstar.

I'm trying to not get discouraged, but this sucks. I'm slower than I've ever been (that's saying something) and it ALWAYS feels hard. Doesn't matter if it is pavement or trails or the treadmill. I'm not giving up, but it's not very motivating to get out the door either. I'm at 5/15 and plodding along (goal is 50+). I'm starting to think that a visit to the Dr is in order.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5/15 is better than 0/15! :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
5/15 is better than 0/15! :)

That's what I keep telling myself. And the ratio gets worse if I don't get out there. The whole "cold/dark/winter/snow" thing isn't helping, but that's sort of the point, so I'm trying. Thankfully the dog needs exercise, so running or walking - I still have to go out everyday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cold/dark/snow/winter thing is definitely slowing me down, too, and making every stride just a little tougher. We got a good dump on Saturday - awoke to rain, but it changed over to those big, fluffy wet flakes that stick to everything just in time to make a treacherous drive up to a friend's for her annual holiday trail run (with chili and chai party to follow).

It was like running in Narnia.

We even found a tree someone had decorated!

Second run was dark and slushy - this 4:45pm sunset thing makes it so hard to get doubles in daylight.

Sunday was windy af, so I went and hid in the trees at a new-to-me section of trail. In my infinite wisdom I hit the trail with 30mins til sunset, and no spikes or poles for traction. Fortunately the shoes I wore do ok on icy snow, as everything had frozen up overnight.

Well, except the myriad little streams the trail crosses.

Yeah, those iced-up logs don't look sketchy at all - at least there were some ice-free rocks to step on as well, plus that big stump to hang onto as I crossed.

Then I came to a section with dozens of downed trees.

I looked to windward just as a gust came through, making the tops of 40 foot tall pine trees sway up to 12 feet. I decided it would probably be best to GTFO before I ended up crushed or pinned by a blowdown.

Did I mention I was doing this solo? My husband was sitting at home with no phone (his cell bricked itself late last week) and no vehicle to reach me, in a completely different city with only a vague idea of where I'd gone to run. I make amazing decisions. But I get to see pretty things.

Due to the aforementioned "help is not coming" circumstances - plus the fact the sun had set when I reached it - I noped the hell out when I came to an ice-covered 2x8 they were trying to pass off as a bridge over a swiftly moving creek.

Turned around and headed down the main trail, having come up the side trails. There was nice flow there, but it got difficult to see the orange blazes on the cedar trees by headlamp, and I was slowed considerably by having to cross a few more icy little bridges.

Was still a super beautiful place to run, and I didn't die, so that's a win!

Wish I'd known that my second run would have been even icier - who would expect that from a road run?

It was fun running past the light displays of Candyland in downtown Preston, though, and I managed to stay upright...it's a Christmas miracle!

Hope the northern US folks are doing ok - I heard that a massive snow system was rolling through today, and we only missed the upper edge of it by a few dozen kilometers. Stay safe and warm out there!

Quote | Reply
Ugh. Between an unplanned business trip, and then contracting a virus (possibly from the same trip), I've missed 3 days in the last week. That's dropped me from +1 to - 2.

Even more annoying, I ran today for the first time in 4 days.... Felt like I haven't run in a year...and my 10k race is on Saturday.

Come on magic....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virtual league-minimum of 3.2 miles in spitting snow tonight. I'd forgotten how much extra effort it takes to run on slippery trails with a couple inches of powder under foot.
Last edited by: SJK: Dec 17, 19 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont envy you snow people
It took me a week or so to get used to running in the dark/rain again - but now I dont even notice

A bit of pain in my knee for the first 3-4 km on the last last few runs - i'm hoping that goes away soon :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next