Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heavy legs--how to deal with?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
May be this is a menopause issue? My legs feel heavy when I run now. How can I recover better/faster, etc.? I also bike 3 times per week and swim about 3 times per week.

Thoughts? TIA

KK
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy legs--how to deal with? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
foam rolling really helps me keep my legs feeling good. Do you do that?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happens to me sometimes when I take some time off from running. Even just a week, can give me the lead legs case. It will last a few days and then go away.

Heavy legs also happens with chronic fatigue, so if you haven't taken a break in a while, I'd suggest doing so. Give your legs time to recover and see if that helps.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my legs get heavy, it's either because they are overtired from whatever load I've been putting on them, or because I haven't been eating enough.

The food one, I just eat more. :-)

The overtired - I have a pair of AirRelax boots that works wonders. Compression socks, epsom salt baths, foam rolling are my easy go-to's. If I can swing it, I'll try and get in a massage and really have them work over my legs.

Take caution not to do heavy workouts back to back. If one of your rides is really hilly or hard intervals, then try and keep your run easy the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy legs--how to deal with? [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronScholar wrote:

Take caution not to do heavy workouts back to back. If one of your rides is really hilly or hard intervals, then try and keep your run easy the next day.

Or swim, and switch it up with a mixed workout of buoy/nonbuoy. The Wurteles have a great progression workout that incorporates ankle bands, buoys and pads that will still kick your butt but leave your legs feeling a bit fresher than they'd be otherwise.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily, but you should stay active nonetheless. Ideally, you should go for a check-up and see if everything's alright. Continue to be active, but make sure that you do low-impact exercises like swimming, even water aerobics if you're a fan. You should also start taking vitamins, I'm 41 but I take supplements for a while now and I've felt quite an improvement in the way I feel overall. Fond mine here, maybe it helps https://popular.reviews/multivitamin-for-women/. By the way, give up on running, at least until you find out for sure if you have a medical issue. The impact with rough surfaces when you run might actually worsen your condition.
Quote Reply