Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM sent.

I did delete it as suggested, but it reappeared following the most recent synch.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty has it right.

You can't carry forward extra time. You can only "make up" lost time. And that's a maximum of 2x per week. All make up running is done via time, not mileage....so using the 30 minute basis.

Day1: 10min
Day2: 50min

Equals 2 runs.

But you can't do:

Day1: 60min
Day2: 1min

That counts as just a single run... Unless on day 3 you run 29 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric's just being a grumpy pants. See my reply to Monty, above.

The idea is to give you a way to make up a run the gets cut short for some reason... As we know shit happens; meeting get in the way,or unexpected family events happen, etc.

I had a few times last year when I could onlybdo 15 minutes at lunch and was going to finish up my other 15bafter dinner. But, then we had an unexpected family event so I couldn't do the last 15. So, the next day I did 45min to fetn"credit".

But, the point is not to provide a way to "pad" your stats....so to speak. Hence, why we can't carry extra time forward, only make up lost time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

So.... What shoes? :)

Vaporfly Nexts. I was in the big pack of maybe 70 that went thru the half in 1:09. 90% were in the Nexts, 8% were in the Hoka Carbon (I think), and there may have been one random set.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my first attempt at 100/100. In fact, having not had a day off yet since 1 Dec, this is my longest running streak ever. My 26 miles last week was also my biggest running week of the year. Whilst it’s cold, dark and wet here in the UK, I take my hat off to those of you running in freezing snow and ice.

With 10 runs done, getting to 100 seems a long way off. But the challenges has already worked for me, running on the treadmill at work at 8pm after a 14hr work day, and again at 8pm on Sunday after moving house all day.

Hopefully get another double done today. Thanks for the challenge.
Tubs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As of today I´m at 12 "runs" in 10 days - that is more than I intended, but these short and frequent exercises seem to be really beneficial for me. And it turns out to be fun to sneak in a second "run" whenever there is an opportunity.

I "run" as fast as my injured tendons allow me to, which in reality boils down to mainly speed-walking, interspersed now with a couple of (relaxed but fast) accelerations of real running. I speed-walk with real effort, angled arms etc., average HR of around 60% to 65% - so I do look kind of funny I guess, people notice me ...
I complement these "runs" with strengthening- and stretching-exercises and some hopping, and I try to lose some weight in these 100 days. All that with the faint hope that it might enable me to return to "real" running.

So I kind of abuse this challenge by doing part of what really is my rehab under the pretence of running, because the challenge and the exercise log etc. motivate me and structure my exercise. While I understand and even envy those that can have a strict and purist approach, for the time being I am limited to the other end of the spectrum. If all goes well I´ll be able to follow the rules strictly next year.

So I say thanks for the challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Heidelfix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! I'm glad it's working as motivation. I'm going to use your enthusiasm as motivation for my goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
PM sent.

I did delete it as suggested, but it reappeared following the most recent synch.

Received. Thank you. I'll tag it and make sure the code works. I was going to reply in PM, but for some reason you can't receive PMs on here? Anyway, do you need additional coaching features added to the training log? We should talk. :)

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I know. I try not to be, but I feel like the rules around cutting up runs are silly (in other words, my personal ethic is that MY data on the training log should reflect the reality of what I did on those dates and at those times, and I do not fudge that data because why would I be dishonest with myself?). I get the idea of allowing some flexibility around making up runs and so forth, but I draw the line at altering data to reflect it. (And I have to acknowledge that a technology solution that picks up a 40 minute and a 20 minute on successive days is actually incredibly challenging, forcing users to "fudge", so of course there's a gray area). I care much less about somebody walk/running and logging it as a run, we all take walk breaks and so that's fine. I appreciate everybody's perspective and the community shared effort that we're all doing around this challenge is super motivating to me.

Last year I made 80/100, and I'm hoping to hit 100/100 this year (I just did my first double of the challenge yesterday). Keep running strong, peoples!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Bluestack is going to hit 50 pretty soon this morning. Good golly!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good, I totally get why answering a million questions would start to get annoying after a while. Seeing your run total go up is motivating but in the end we aren't winning any prizes. That said, if there are opportunities to increase the number of runs I do (and hence build on the momentum of that motivation) while staying within the spirit of the challenge, I would like to do it.

For example, if someone is doing the BarryP plan, they might be running 6x per week with a 30/60/90 structure. Some of those 60 minute middle runs are going to fall after a planned rest day, so throwing in a 5 to 10 minute recovery run as a 7th run on that rest day is going to count since you are "making it up" the next day with an hour of running. Even though 10 minutes of easy jogging is pretty meaningless in a week where you are already running for 5 hours, I still think it falls within the spirit of what we are all trying to accomplish here. But I also asked if there was a minimum so I'm following the established rules.

Tom_hampton wrote:

The idea is to give you a way to make up a run the gets cut short for some reason... As we know shit happens; meeting get in the way,or unexpected family events happen, etc.

I had a few times last year when I could onlybdo 15 minutes at lunch and was going to finish up my other 15bafter dinner. But, then we had an unexpected family event so I couldn't do the last 15. So, the next day I did 45min to fetn"credit".

But, the point is not to provide a way to "pad" your stats....so to speak. Hence, why we can't carry extra time forward, only make up lost time.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
... we all take walk breaks and so that's fine.

Speak for yourself! I NEVER take walk breaks. /pink (kinda... But I feel really guilty when I do)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Quote:
... we all take walk breaks and so that's fine.

Speak for yourself! I NEVER take walk breaks. /pink (kinda... But I feel really guilty when I do)

I used to think it didn't even count as a "run" if I took walk breaks. But now I'm slow and unfit and need the walk breaks (sometimes mentally, sometimes physically). My HR says it's a "run effort" so I'm okay with it - for now.

My goal is to be done with the walk breaks on the flat pavement soon and on the trails by spring - snow is adding an extra layer of challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good thanks. Nothing extra needed. :-)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

What I like about this challenge is how it helps people get back out there. Whatever reason they have...and in whatever way they can. It's about the stretch goal and the accomplishment!

My wife is doing it on the side... She's not actually running because she has back problems that preclude that. But, she's walking and using the framework to do more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EtB, thank you for keeping this ship running smoothly. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
What I like about this challenge is how it helps people get back out there. Whatever reason they have...and in whatever way they can. It's about the stretch goal and the accomplishment!

^^ THIS

Tom_hampton wrote:
My wife is doing it on the side... She's not actually running because she has back problems that preclude that. But, she's walking and using the framework to do more.

That's awesome - give your wife a high five from me!

Quote | Reply
Even though I've missed a couple runs, I'm still hanging on to Medal Eligibility

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the third (maybe fourth) consecutive year my challenge is over as soon as it began. Once again for reasons that have nothing to do with the challenge. This time, it's a pinched nerve that incapacitated me on day two. Physical therapist says no running for a couple of months
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
EtB, thank you for keeping this ship running smoothly. -J

EtB? I really like that, and you're very welcome. I'm glad you all are taking part and that I can help.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, yuck. First, hope you heal up and aren’t in too much pain.
I’m guessing biking is out if the nerve is affecting running, but what about swimming? Or just enjoy the time off and get extra treatment.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
For the third (maybe fourth) consecutive year my challenge is over as soon as it began. Once again for reasons that have nothing to do with the challenge. This time, it's a pinched nerve that incapacitated me on day two. Physical therapist says no running for a couple of months

i'm very sorry to hear that. esp because of how much running is a part of your life specifically. coupla months, eh? can i make a prediction it won't be that long?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dan but unfortunately I think this is real. My root problem is a degeneration of the neck vertebra which I could see pretty clearly on the X-Ray; They had another from 2008 to compare and showed me the difference. Guess that's why it's been so hard for me to hold aero position in the past couple of years.

Today the PT was doing a few tests in the eval and was a bit alarmed by what she saw.

Regardless of what happens I can live with a 3 to 6 months off if there is a clear plan to fix things permanently. If that means surgery than I want to hurry up and do it. Whatever. I just don't want to have to spend 5 years "managing" it and not being able to do nearly what I want.

Longer term, I'm guessing my triathlon days probably over (or soon to be over) but if I can get back to running as much as I want eventually I'll be fine. That and road biking should get me by. But for now it's PT and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Wow, yuck. First, hope you heal up and aren’t in too much pain.
I’m guessing biking is out if the nerve is affecting running, but what about swimming? Or just enjoy the time off and get extra treatment.

Approved activities are pool-running, weight-lifting and walking. I intend to do a lot of walking
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 11, 19 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 runs behind, but doubling up today and should be able to make up some ground over the next week. Decided to go for Lasik end of next week (-10, can't get glasses to work and eyes just unhappy with full day contacts these days)....so that might put me in a bit of a hole depending on doc's advice on exercise immediately after.
Quote Reply

Prev Next