Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m at 9/8 and just capped it off with 2:22:50 at CIM. Will probably be taking a week off then rejoining for some more fun.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
2:22:50 at CIM
Blazing fast. Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
I’m at 9/8 and just capped it off with 2:22:50 at CIM. Will probably be taking a week off then rejoining for some more fun.

Absolute beast! Congratulations!! I bet you'll get a lock on that OTQ next season even if they tighten the standard.

Did an Ironman once. Only runs now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
I'm at 2/8 - if I run today I'll be at 3/8. This is why I don't set goals anymore, I'm always losing.

Run today, my lady. I’ll look for your name. I plan to go out later. I have 1/2 coke saved in the fridge as my reward.

Done and dusted - snowy/hilly trails are so slow.... But off-leash for the dog triumphed over my ego.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:

What is your height and weight running a full marathon in 2:22 and what is your open 10km. I am already feeling fat just asking this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
I'm at 2/8 - if I run today I'll be at 3/8. This is why I don't set goals anymore, I'm always losing.

Run today, my lady. I’ll look for your name. I plan to go out later. I have 1/2 coke saved in the fridge as my reward.

Done and dusted - snowy/hilly trails are so slow.... But off-leash for the dog triumphed over my ego.

Nice work! Snowy, hilly trails make you strong. Add off-leash dog, and it’s a party. Sounds fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5’10 135. Ran a 31:40 in the middle of a half marathon blow up about a month ago.

None of my results should show that a 2:22 is possible (or even going for 2:19). But it is in the right ball park.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need some clarification on the rules. I did 5 miles yesterday in 40 minutes. Do I need to run 20 minutes, or 1 mile to count today’s run (I.e. to get to either 60 min or 6 miles total?) I am getting off a long international flight and want to do the shortest run possible today...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Split runs only work in minutes. So, you need a 20 minute run to get credit. Remember you will have to manually move the time around in the training log.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6/8 with just under 20 miles. For me, that's awesome, especially since I had to miss two days because I tweaked my back shoveling. Kudos to everyone who is getting out there every day, every other day or every 4 days. As long as you're challenging yourself then you're doing it right.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Need some clarification on the rules. I did 5 miles yesterday in 40 minutes. Do I need to run 20 minutes, or 1 mile to count today’s run (I.e. to get to either 60 min or 6 miles total?) I am getting off a long international flight and want to do the shortest run possible today...

I am applying for 100/100 hero of the day status.

I got off an transatlantic flight in London Heathrow and had a long layover before connecting to India. I was hoping to use one of the lounges, leave my bags at front desk and hard out from terminal2 and explore and do a 90 min run since I had time. But no luck, the lounges would not hang on to unattended baggage. I though about going into London but the thought of sitting on the Piccadilly tube line for an hour each way was not appealing even though I had time.

I then tried the Hilton Garden Inn gym attached to terminal 2, but got a snotty front desk person who would not let me pay for a drop in.

Finally I just gave up and the atrium in front of the terminal felt like a good spot to run in my jeans and running shoes doing a loops around my luggage. It's almost 100m long in front of the terminal so I figure 200m loop or so and away I went. I was literally never more than 10 seconds either side from my bags and just kept running. I had one security guard ask me what I was doing and I told him and he said to stay close to bags or they will need to get the full security squad over. Then I guess the shift changed and I had another guys. Finally a while later I had a woman who claimed she was the head of security ask me what I was doing so I explained and she said technically I should be holding my bags at all times (she is correct but I used to be in the military so you get brought up to do as you can inside the tolerance of authorities). At this point I had reached my magic minimum of 10,000 steps or running which depending on the pace is 9km to 10km of looping a concrete atrium at an airport terminal in jeans and running shoes all in the middle of what would be my REM sleep

So that was a good time to wrap it up as the tone of security woman was escalating....in my mind I am thinking "don't they have real terrorists to track down....all this wasted money and time on a hapless 100/100 idiot is taking away from real security....but agile looming brown guy running pretty fast in an airport probably looks like it's in the range. It's not like I am a hot blue eyed blonde woman in yoga pants putting down a yoga mat in the same atrium to get her exercise so it was time to pack it up and catch my connection to Mumbai.

On. plus note 2 months ago the Germans in Frankfurt were much better than the Brits at Heathrow. I left my luggage at a lounge at the airport and did a long run on the trails beside the airport on my way back from Mumbai connecting to Ottawa.

I'll give myself credit for 9km in an hour for this airport foray given all the interruptions, but it was certainly over 10,000 steps.

Some of these workouts that are never meant to happen for normal people are the ones I lean on in racing when it gets tough and I don't want to hurt. I end up doing these workouts that are not meant to happen for normal people to build my bank balance to withdraw from on race day. Dubai 70.3 in 8.5 weeks so I guess I al on a mission to not be so fat and slow (I can't help the old part)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats fartleker!! A 7-minute PR at those speeds is spectacular, and a sure sign of more good things to come! Take some well-deserved rest and chill out at the top of the pace leaderboard :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos to my wife who roughly shoved me back out of bed this morning at 5:30am after I turned off my alarm and climbed back into bed (because I was 100% going to bail).

I went a bit faster than maybe I was in shape for yesterday (and stretched the run to around 12km) - definitely felt it this morning.
So far so good though - legs feel great.
I for sure drank less this weekend just because I knew I had to do a run in the mornings, so I guess thats a bonus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
5’10 135. Ran a 31:40 in the middle of a half marathon blow up about a month ago.

None of my results should show that a 2:22 is possible (or even going for 2:19). But it is in the right ball park.

So.... What shoes? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday was almost a perfect day of running for me. I did need spikes in the morning for a run down to the market, but there were only a few icy spots. I really need to make this winter's pair of screw shoes for this route.

In the afternoon I went to check out a new conservation area I'd heard about called Starkey Hill, and had one of those truly magical running experiences. I didn't really need my fake-toolah microspikes on the snowpack, but they offered really confident traction for the steeper climbs and descents, and my legs felt great! The sunset was incredible, and I enjoyed the hell out of myself. I'd seen a review saying that despite the signage there wasn't really a lookout at the highest point on the trail; clearly whoever wrote it needed to turn around and look more closely through the trees.

Sunday, though...Sunday was kinda horrible. I knew it was going to suck, but I couldn't have predicted what form the suffering was going to take. We'd been told the 422m paved path around the baseball diamond was free of snow, so at least I wouldn't have to use spikes. There was one unavoidable icy patch, but it wasn't too bad. I didn't even mind running endless loops of the path - I do a lot of short looped ultras, and there were quite a number of friends on course, so it was nice and social. Off the start, I was feeling pretty good and moving well. What ended up being awful was my right knee; there was a very minor side-slope to the paved path, and when we changed direction from clockwise to counter-clockwise (around 50mins in) the outside of my knee twinged a bit, but seemed fine. After my first 34 laps I decided to walk one, and discovered the knee wasn't happy while walking. All the while the wind was rising, gusting over 40kph across a field full of snow and through the park, which was beside a major surface road - no shelter. Three times I saw chunks of ice blown off a tree shatter on the path just a few feet in front of me. I ran 10 more laps, including another change of direction, but got a bit lightheaded and dropped to a walk again; my knee was even grouchier this time. I tried running again, but landed awkwardly with my right foot and my right ankle was suddenly super sore with each stride. I tried hunting for tight/sore stuff in my right side (glutes, quads, calves) and stretching to see if I could get the knee to ease up, but walking a couple of additional laps (which put me past half marathon distance) showed it just wanted to be a whiny jerk. I tried running one more time, but my ankle was definitely not OK, so I talked to the race director and he had no problems with me dropping down to the half...as he sat on the ground trying to stretch out some issues of his own. So, I called it at 52 laps - right around 22km - and would have stayed to cheer other people on, but the wind just blew right through us. My husband was freezing to death, too, so we bailed. Still not entirely sure how to feel about the whole thing - I'm used to running for 6+hrs and it's a bit of a blow to drop so early - but pavement SUCKS and I wasn't even the first in the full to DNF. It was a very informal event put on by and for a bunch of trail and ultrarunners, and there was a lot of carnage. I haven't done any long road runs in a few years, and I guess that bit me (and a lot of other people) in the arse.

So, going to try running on my lunch today to see how the ankle feels - knee has been responding really well to some quad & TFL work, so fingers crossed this doesn't mess with the rest of the races I have in the next couple of months.

Huge respect to fartleker for an amazing result!

Last edited by: mistressk: Dec 9, 19 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos indeed! Change is hard. It's good to have that support and gentle nudge.

My son has been good about reminding me with a "I hope you have a good run today, dad!" He knows its not easy, and its his way to be involved.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm keeping myself accountable by posting here - thanks to CalamityJane for getting me out there yesterday.

And yes - that marathon is CRAZY fast. At first I thought, that's a decent time for an untrained half....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran past a couple of dead fish, big ones, laying on Pomerado Road this morning. They looked half frozen and totally delicious, except for the fact that they were half frozen and on the road and it was only 10 am, too early for eating fish.

I took a picture. How do I post it? I did a search— nothing came up. How?

Please & thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I should have put something in the picture so you can tell the size. They were pretty big, the size of a standard ping pong paddle.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Dec 9, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Split runs only work in minutes. So, you need a 20 minute run to get credit. Remember you will have to manually move the time around in the training log.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification

I hate to open a can of worms here, but I searched through the threads and found nothing... what is the shortest run that is technically allowed as a "make up run"?

For example, I will be doing a lot of easy 1 hour runs as part of my normal IM build. Does that mean I can run for literally 60 seconds the day after that (twice per week), and that counts as an additional run? Not trying to game the system, but if I can go out and jog for 5 minutes on a rest day I'll probably do it, if it adds to my count.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
I've just got credit for a coaching session that I haven't counted in my own score. I ran at 4 pm for just over 30 mins. I then started a drills coaching session at 5pm, last than 30 mins after the other one ended. I have 10 counted when there should only be 9.

Howdy, sir! Can you tell me which workouts these are? I have a way to exclude a particular workout from the challenge that I'd like to test out (without deleting it). If you could PM me, I'd appreciate it.

Best,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification

I hate to open a can of worms here, but I searched through the threads and found nothing... what is the shortest run that is technically allowed as a "make up run"?

For example, I will be doing a lot of easy 1 hour runs as part of my normal IM build. Does that mean I can run for literally 60 seconds the day after that (twice per week), and that counts as an additional run? Not trying to game the system, but if I can go out and jog for 5 minutes on a rest day I'll probably do it, if it adds to my count.

There are a couple of ways to "make up" a run on a technicality. But the purpose of the challenge is to help everybody run 100 times in 100 days. It isn't to have you not bother to change your regular 1-hour run and then, because the rules permit make-up runs, sure, yeah, twice a week, do a bullshit 5-minute "workout" in order to satisfy that technicality (even though you aren't making up anything). Just go run!! Sheesh!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, 5 minutes isn't a "bullshit" workout especially for those just starting to run consistently.

Second, if the goal is to have everyone run 100/100, then 5 minute runs may be the only way I can do that if those days would normally be rest days.

Third, if you don't want questions around technicalities, then don't make any rules, or exceptions to those rules, to begin with!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont worry, you are not the only one, it can be confusing, and fluid at times. The way I understood it last year, was that if you did less than the prescribed 30 minutes, you could make it up on the next days run. I dont recall that you could do a longer run and then carry(or bank) the extra minutes over to the next day though. So if you do 20 today, you can either do 10 or 40 the next day to get one or two runs in. But I think if you do 40 today, you cannot do 20 tomorrow to get in the extra run, that 40 would have to be a split run, 30, and then 10 as your 2nd effort of the day, then you can count those 10 minutes..

And you could only do it once or maybe twice a week? Anyhoo, that is what I went by last year, maybe it is different this year, or I just plain misunderstood the rules. I think I only had to do it once, but I will watch for clarification here, as it may become more prevalent in my program this year. But got two little kids throwing up all over the place, waiting for the 3rd to catch up, and then I'm probably going to be like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode, throwing down the bet in the beginning of the challenge...
Quote Reply

Prev Next